Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 17:55   #121
Senior - BHPian

I think it happens with diesels. Have had similar instances where the car just looses al power. In a petrol an immediate down shift and a harder revv would help but what i've noticed on the diesel is that if this happens you just need to stop for a second. Shift to first. Rev her a little more than usual while releasing the clutch. Otherwise the car just would be out of breath no matter what you do. Just stop pushing her for a couple of seconds so that she regains her breath. HAve worked for me practically. Not sure if i'm doing it right or why it happens.
Old 10th May 2010, 18:03   #122
BHPian

gemi - I guess you are right. I was trying a little too much and may be that made the issue worse. With every try, car would go few steps causing panic for people behind and it is tough challenge on a steep and narrow climb.

How many of you have started getting that squeak sound from back seat ? For me, it started after the Ootty trip and it is really irritating.
Old 10th May 2010, 18:12   #123
Senior - BHPian

I have a terrible squeek from the back right side. I thought it was the seats. But i now feel its something else. Need to figure out where its coming from. Do let us know if you get a clue.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:01   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I have a terrible squeek from the back right side. I thought it was the seats. But i now feel its something else. Need to figure out where its coming from. Do let us know if you get a clue.
Me too getting the sound from back right side ! Looks like it is the same issue for both of us. Did it start for you after a some long drive on different types of roads ?
Old 10th May 2010, 20:45   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
Me too getting the sound from back right side ! Looks like it is the same issue for both of us. Did it start for you after a some long drive on different types of roads ?
If i remember correct it started after my first highway trip.
Old 12th May 2010, 12:25   #126
BHPian

Quote:
I was expecting some curious questions and reactions about my previous post :-)
May be my concern is not very valid as giving proper rest to engine while climbing mountain roads is a basic thing I missed. Yet, the feeling is jittery..When the supposedly good TDCi machine refuses to pull the vehicle in first gear on a steep climb.

Even I was expecting more responses from experienced TBHPians. I have done this route while coming down from Ooty to Mudumalai and even then had stopped cause there was too much heat generated by the constant braking ( on a Fiesta 1.6). I am not experienced with diesels and so was expecting responses that would help people like me as I am planning to get a diesel soon. Experts please...
Old 12th May 2010, 12:45   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

I am actually surprised your car did that given that diesels have more lower end torque than petrols. I guess it could be you getting accustomed to the diesel.
However, I am not sure of the inclines you are talking about, and have faced no issues with the Fiesta in that regard.
Do get to know the car and try again and see how it goes.
What was your FE?
Old 12th May 2010, 13:23   #128
Senior - BHPian

Hey REvvy!!
Hope you and your RED baby doing ok.
I guess work is killing you too huh? Its been the same with me. I been working like a donkey past few weeks!

The 2nd gear issue seems to be the same for all the figos even the petrols. My donkey struggled to climb nandi hills.
Old 12th May 2010, 13:40   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
The 2nd gear issue seems to be the same for all the figos even the petrols. My donkey struggled to climb nandi hills.
Yes, I am also watching this thread for the seniors' comments on this. I think this is the second or third time I am reading about Figo struggling to climb uphill. This is confusing, because owners of Ikon 1.4 TDci or Fiesta 1.4 TDci dont seem to have this issue.

Actually I had 99% decided to go for a "heart" decision i.e Figo diesel. But this, and the fact that I saw a brand new lime colored Figo with a break down at Saidapet bridge this morning, are making me think. That car looked like it was on the way to the showroom, probably for delivery. It had no reg plate on it.

Old 13th May 2010, 15:53   #130
Senior - BHPian

Reevy I just saw you posted FE figures of about 14 in the city. Was this with the Aircon on all the time?
Old 13th May 2010, 17:50   #131
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Let me share my exp on this steep climbing as I driven some diesels at times.
In a slope, I shift to 1st and leave it and start moving (it should and will move up with 4 pax. If the vehicle does not climb then the engine is absolutely useless, only to be thrown out) Even the old Matadors on Ambassdors have easily climbed the above said routes and offcourse the Ooty - dodabetta climb.
I never raise the engine or think of upshifting immediately. The torque will do the job. Once the slope becomes better, shift immediately to 2nd then 3rd and move on (depends on the situation of the road). I never do a raise unless you need to overtake or drive fast.
Have driven Matador on Ambassdors on 4th gear in Tirupathi hill and downshifted whenever necessary, but never faced any issues or water boiling.
Raising the engine will produce heat and increase the engine temperature. since we cannot go fast, the incoming air is not sufficient to cool down the engine (which happens in a normal drive) and makes the engine temp to rise very quickly and this may be (not 100% sure) one of the reason for some failures seen.
Modern engines are extremely capable of pulling over a slope with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post

Even I was expecting more responses from experienced TBHPians. I have done this route while coming down from Ooty to Mudumalai and even then had stopped cause there was too much heat generated by the constant braking ( on a Fiesta 1.6). I am not experienced with diesels and so was expecting responses that would help people like me as I am planning to get a diesel soon. Experts please...
Have seen many people doing and complaining this. I hv driven this route and come down many times in the Tirupathi hills where you need to negotiate 48 hairpins which is quite a steep downward slope.
My view is that we tend to drive fast which results in braking and heat up of brake shoes/pads. I drive in 3rd and take the maximum radius while negotiating a hair pin bend. My co passengers have asked why are you doing like this. Some times i never even touched the brake pedal on a downward hairpin slope in this route (I see this a challenge and try counting this. since tirupathi hill route is totally one way up and down, it is easy to do this , but in normal routes like ooty-mudumalai, or kodai - palani where you see traffic in both directions, you need to be slow and apply brakes if it is really needed. This can be achieved if you drive slow under 30km). The speed is controlled by the 3rd gear itself ( it will be definitely faster than normal 3rd gear speed) but can be managed without continuous braking.

Last edited by Eddy : 13th May 2010 at 18:09. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 13th May 2010, 18:46   #132
BHPian

Hi folks - good to see a discussion on this ! Yes, it is an art driving in such testing conditions. I am sure I will do better next time :-)

RGK - now I realise my mistake..At times, I was revving up more in 1st gear. I should learn to be patient and crawl up in first gear in the 2K RPM range and up shift only when it is comfortable.

Captain : Yes, work is taking a revenge on me :-( My FE of 14 in city was mostly with AC on. You can say 70% AC. And during my long trip, which was mix of highway, ghat road, lot of curves etc. Overall 16 is good I guess, at this stage. This weekend, I will have highway only 450 km drive, bringing back the baby to Bangalore. I hope I will get 16+ in that drive !
Old 15th May 2010, 04:56   #133
BHPian

Thanks RGK. Will keep that in mind when I do my next up-hill drive.
Old 15th May 2010, 11:46   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Reevy I just saw you posted FE figures of about 14 in the city. Was this with the Aircon on all the time?
Three tankfuls upto now. I am getting 14 kpl city driving with a/c 100% on.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Wow, another consistent feature of the Figo. Me too getting the same from RHS backside. I think it may be the parcel tray, but need to confirm.
Old 15th May 2010, 22:15   #135
Senior - BHPian

I have tried everything from the seat locks to the parcel tray to the doors. Three different people have sat behind and tried to figure out where the sound is coming from. No Luck Yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks