Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:12   #271
BHPian

How far is Fiat from launching the T-jet

With all the reports of sluggish performance from 1.2 and 1.4 petrol versions, Fiat should consider launching the 1.4L T-jet engine which I believe was slated for launch in the Linea. This might be just a bit considering that we are discussing about the diesel versions here.
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:25   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Here in Cochin, 90HP is 7.50L OTR. No discounts of any sort. The FGT EP is 7.14L OTR. Discounts on FGT EP - free insurance (-18K), 12K corp discount, so the effective on-road price comes to ~6.84L OTR. Extended warranty and RSA free.

Opting for extended warranty+RSA on the 90HP Punto will push its cost further up to a premium of almost 75K over the FGT Punto. Is it really worh it?
My apologies to you starry sky , i missed out on the last part of your post. Well to be honest if the feature list is the same as the previous E+MJD then 75K is a bit too much of a premium over the existing car, 50k should have been fine.

Though I must add tthat this car is not meant to increase the volume of punto sales. Its just supposed to cater to those who wanted a more powerful and refined punto.
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:56   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Agreed but dosen't it look better than the punto in the first post?
Agreed ! Like you said, it does 'look' better... could be neat photography or optical illusion? I think FIAT should make Sid their official photographer and they might just end up selling more Puntos On a more serious note, the first post has the dashboard with the safety tape / transparent stickers on, which are bound to hide the real surface underneath when photographed.
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:57   #274
BHPian

@mihirc

sorry to contradict you buddy, but this car for all what i have heard is surely NOT for people who want a more powerful and refined punto. FIAT has left the words "powerful and refined" out of the things to do for a while.
Old 22nd July 2010, 17:07   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
@mihirc

sorry to contradict you buddy, but this car for all what i have heard is surely NOT for people who want a more powerful and refined punto. FIAT has left the words "powerful and refined" out of the things to do for a while.
One of the images of this punto which I have seen on the forum has the ad line of " the most powerful diesel hatch, no wonder you are behind" on the rear glass
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:00   #276
Senior - BHPian

Saw one 90HP Punto in flesh and there is an improvement in plastic quality, especially the gaps in the dash panels. It was not at all like the Sid's white dialed punto.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:08   #277
BHPian

Can someone calculate and tell what will be a peted Punto 90HP numbers? will it cross 100 BHP/ 250nm torque?
Old 22nd July 2010, 21:15   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
How much extra you need to pay for the extended warranty? when I bought the FGT, it was just 4K.

And, why to pay for RSA? Fiat already has a program called "Fiat First" and that's free for all customers. The nearest dealership has to attend the car in a 100Kms radius or so.

(It worked 2 times for me)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
My thoughts exactly Clever max, when we bought the Linea,Road side assistance came standard with the car and we had to pay 5K for an extended 2 yr warranty.

I cant figure out what the Premium of 75k mentioned by starry sky would be for? Definitely not for RSA + extended warranty I think.
I wasn't sure about the cost of extended warranty+RSA. I thought it would be around 10K, that's why I mentioned ~75K premium. Otherwise, the premium is around 66K (7.5L vs 6.84L) as I showed above.
Old 22nd July 2010, 21:47   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
What happened to your car these two times? Hope it didn't break down on you.
First one was when my Palio break down, because of a crank sensor problem - they drove almost 90 Kms to my home and fixed the issue in minutes.

Second time was the Punto, the power steering fluid was way too low due to a leak and the pump was giving loud noise when steering is turned - eventually I had to replace the steering box under warranty. (INR 23K).

Both cars are in great condition and are running fine now!

@Starrysky: Any extra money charged in the name of RSA is just the dealer taking you for a ride - Ask them about Fiat First program.

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd July 2010 at 21:49.
Old 22nd July 2010, 22:09   #280
BHPian

Today at Hyd Int Auto Show 2010 I saw Punto 90hp in Tuscan Wine Color. It was looking pretty good but somehow the color is not appealing. I don't know why they have discontinued "electric blue" . Is there any policy that if the sell of no of units in respective color is not good then they'l discontinue. I am eagerly waiting for Linea petrol 1.4 Active/dynamic in "ozone blue" or electric blue or the Linea T-Jet color which was displayed in Delhi expo 2010. I don't know when my dream will be fulfilled ?
Old 23rd July 2010, 00:31   #281
BHPian

The latest copy of ACI, Aug edition carries a Diesel Hatchback shootout which includes the 90bhp Punto as well. Was really excited and rushed to get a copy after seein it online. Here are the excerpts with specific reference to the 90 bhp Punto on a few key parameters:

Lets get to the good things first:

The Punto gets a lot of acclaim for its exemplary ride and handling and they declare it to be the best among the hatches for being a enthusiasts delight. Infact they've gone to the point of saying that the chassis is good enough to handle a 100 bhp more! That its a awesome looker went without saying.

B(S)ad Bits:

Engine, Power & Performance!!!

One thing I dreaded reading in this mag, ACI sticks to its July edition's stand. In fact, they've dedicated an entire paragraph mourning on the reasons for its avg performance and what cud hav been. For the benefit of everyone, re-presenting the writeup on the 'performance' of Punto:

Quote:
"It's ironic, but Fiat's very own Multijet motor doesn't perform as well in the Punto. This despite the extra power the engine is developing. In fact, this same 90 bhp motor is under the hood of the Linea; so it came as a big surprise when the lighter Punto was significantly slower than the saloon. We put this down to the BS IV tuning which is known to sap power (we are yet to test a BS IV Linea which could be slower than before). Where the Fiat falters is at lower revs, its relatively sluggish and just doesn't feel as peppy as its 15 bhp advantage suggests. The mid-range is where you feel all the extra horses kicking in and between 3000 and 4500 rpm the Grand Punto feels quite strong. However, the narrow powerband makes you really work the gearbox to feel the extra power, which is blunted by the Grande Punto's weight (which is the heaviest in this group). The Fiat doesn't surge forward like the maruti's do. In fact, in our 0-100 kph dash, the Punto was outdragged by the lighter Ritz."

Observations:
Being a Fiat fan and a proud owner of a S10, it was heart wrenching to read the above. And here I was, hoping to replace my S10 with this. The only option is to buy the 90bhp Punto for its dynamics and flair, get it peted/kiirused and enjoy its limits.

I do however, simply hope and pray that ACI got it all wrong and rather wait for all the other mags and most importantly our own GTO to TD it before passing the final judgement. But the signs aren't promising for those expecting a hot scorcher. God knows what kind of expectations I had on this car (infact, wanted to benchmark it against my Verna)

The car still looks great, rides like a dream, handles like a track special. But still, it looks like my S10's here to stay for some more time...

Quote:
Speeds(in kph) Punto I20 Swift

0-100 (in secs) 16.21 12.75 13.87
20-80 (3rd gear) 13.97 16.61 11.96
40-100 (4th gear) 14.72 20.55 14.14

P.S: Dear GTO, can we have the Punto 90 bhp TD now then

- A depressed Fiat fan
Old 24th July 2010, 02:01   #282
Senior - BHPian

Believe it or not, I saw a 90 BHP punto, white color, near BDA crossing in HSR layout.
Its already on roads!!!!

Or was it GTO test driving it. But in night? At 8.30? In bangalore?
Old 24th July 2010, 10:30   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
I do however, simply hope and pray that ACI got it all wrong and rather wait for all the other mags and most importantly our own GTO to TD it before passing the final judgement. But the signs aren't promising for those expecting a hot scorcher. God knows what kind of expectations I had on this car (infact, wanted to benchmark it against my Verna)

- A depressed Fiat fan
I think it's better to wait for a detailed TD report from GTO, also wait for performance tests from a run-in Punto 90hp post 5k kms, as FGT owners suggest a massive improvement in the performance post 5k kms.
Old 24th July 2010, 14:43   #284
BHPian

i might sound a bit greedy and demanding, but i wonder why hasn't any of the seasoned reviewers of tbhp tried the punto 90bhp?

gto/rehaan/dippy/others - are you listening?!?
Old 24th July 2010, 15:35   #285
MCR
BHPian

Punto 90HP TD review

Just came back after TDing Punto 90HP. I wil compare this to my 75HP Emotion variant.

Engine and Gearbox:
The engine idles much more silently than the 75HP variant, thanks to the VGT and additional sound deading material. The cabin is much more silent. The gear box is a bit notchy and is absolutely not best in the class. Moreover the icrease in HP cannot be felt at all in the first gear. The fun begins only after you slot the second gear.

Steering feel:
The steering is amazingly light. It requires absolutely no effort. This is a major change compared to the lesser powered siblings. However it weighs in perfectly as you attain the speeds. So parking the 90HP variant will be lot easier.

Chassis and Suspension:
There is no marked difference here. The handling remains amazing as well as the ride quality.

Fit and Finish:
There is 30% to 40% improvement in the fit and finish. The panel gaps of plastics have improved and have a bit of soft touch to them. The body paint is immaculate as ever.

Verdict:
Most asked question- "where have the 15 horses gone?". The answer is they have gone in improving the in-gear acceleration. Don't be fooled by acceleration or lack of it in the first gear. The fun begins in second gear and onwards. Here are the additional 15 horses.

Will I buy if I were in themarket now? The answer is a resounding yes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks