Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2012, 22:29   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987

Brake oil is just top-up. No typo.

The rust protection is not the rust protection treatment that you generally get done for 5k (3M types).

It just is spraying some anti-rust agent or spray over hinges and areas prone to rust.

I don't remember the brand.

Yes, the 3 month service interval is extremely irritating.
So my next question would be is Idemitsu a good brand? Have only heard of Shell, Mobil, Total etc.

Is the 6000inr for every service? I guess since Honda has zilch sales these days, it can only rake in money by reducing service intervals.

The anto rust agent is from 3m btw. They use the 3m spray cans as i noticed that day.
Old 25th July 2012, 22:41   #152
Team-BHP Support

re: My Japanese Doll : Habanero Red Honda City S-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
So my next question would be is Idemitsu a good brand? Have only heard of Shell, Mobil, Total etc.

Is the 6000inr for every service? I guess since Honda has zilch sales these days, it can only rake in money by reducing service intervals.

The anto rust agent is from 3m btw. They use the 3m spray cans as i noticed that day.
The 6k service is going to be every 20k; on other intervals, the amount will be less.

But I'm sure as the kms pile up, other replacements, repairs will add up to.

I wonder if a 3 month service interval is behind Honda's so-called reliability. I mean, my Corsa needs to be serviced once-a-year and City 4-times!

About the anti-rust, what I meant was, it isn't the regular 3M anti-rust treatment that generally costs as much as 5k.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 16:38   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The 6k service is going to be every 20k; on other intervals, the amount will be less.

But I'm sure as the kms pile up, other replacements, repairs will add up to.

I wonder if a 3 month service interval is behind Honda's so-called reliability. I mean, my Corsa needs to be serviced once-a-year and City 4-times!

About the anti-rust, what I meant was, it isn't the regular 3M anti-rust treatment that generally costs as much as 5k.
Honda's are well known for their reliability so the 3 months service reliability is strange. Its even stranger that they are changing the service interval midway through a product life cycle - I am sure that your City would have 6 months service interval when you bought it, isn't it ? From an engineering perspective it only makes sense if :-
1. There is a deteoriation in driving conditions such as roads , fuel quality , etc which prompts Honda to make that call - I am sure that has not happened
2. Honda has suddenly discovered some weakness in the City which prompts a call for more frequent check-ups . Thats impossible since the City is a proven warhorse

Didn't the anti rust come with warranty ? The 3 M coat that I put on my Swift came with 3 years warranty I think
Old 28th July 2012, 08:58   #154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Honda's are well known for their reliability so the 3 months service reliability is strange. Its even stranger that they are changing the service interval midway through a product life cycle - I am sure that your City would have 6 months service interval when you bought it, isn't it ? From an engineering perspective it only makes sense if :-
1. There is a deteoriation in driving conditions such as roads , fuel quality , etc which prompts Honda to make that call - I am sure that has not happened
2. Honda has suddenly discovered some weakness in the City which prompts a call for more frequent check-ups . Thats impossible since the City is a proven warhorse

Didn't the anti rust come with warranty ? The 3 M coat that I put on my Swift came with 3 years warranty I think
Yep, it was a 6 months interval until the next City was launched. I find it oddly surprising that Honda wants cars back to A.S.S. within 3 months when other manufacturers are pushing for a 1 year/10k kms cycle. I wonder if this is just City-specific or across all cars of Honda.

I think you got the anti-rust wrong; it wasn't the anti-rust treatment. Just spraying some anti-rust agent on hinges etc.
Old 13th June 2013, 10:19   #155
Team-BHP Support

Whoa! It's been a year that I've updated this thread; also a year since I'm home.

The car has been running just as well but it seems like the Gurgaon roads have started taking a toll on the suspension.

The Odometer at the moment reads 21280.

It's the time for Insurance renewal again. The car will complete 3 years next week and Tata AIG is offering another year of the Zero Dep policy. The premium is 11990 with a IDV of 508800.

Sound like a good deal?
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 15:44   #156
BHPian

My car ANHC (VMT) completing 3 years on 17th June - 54K on Odo.
Below is the quote of renewal from Tata AIG zero depreciation Perl plan with 20% noclaim bonus.
IDV: Rs. 5,32,058
Renewal Amount: Rs. 14,039/-

Renewing today.
Old 5th January 2014, 19:08   #157
Team-BHP Support

I'm back in India for a quick visit and have been driving the City for about 2 weeks now.

Before I say anything further, I must mention that we recently replaced our Zen with an i20. So, unfortunately for the City, I am now comparing it with the i20, at least the features.

Initial impressions:

1) The ride quality and the feel of the drive is still the same: it is a sheer delight to drive the car around.

2) The lack of features (ACC, automatic folding mirrors) is glaring!

3) Gear slotting is slightly difficult in the early morning, the 1st and 2nd gears are slightly reluctant to slot. Gurgaon has single digit temperatures of late and that might affect the gearbox oil. That's my assumption. Is there any way to allow smoother gear shifts?

Areas of concern:

1) The horn is even more pathetic; and I am tired of having ASC look at it. It just can't hold up the tone.

2) The IVRM is loose; ASC says it is just like that and had even shown me other Citys/Brios to prove that the mirrors are just as loose. I need to figure out a way to tighten it up. Problem is- every time the car jerks because of a speed breaker or pothole, it slips in the position.

I'll be spending some time with the car tomorrow and post a more detailed update.
Old 5th January 2014, 19:51   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Initial impressions:

1) The ride quality and the feel of the drive is still the same: it is a sheer delight to drive the car around.
Agree with your ride quality observations. I know people having 4+ years Honda City and they too feel the same.

Quote:
Areas of concern:

1) The horn is even more pathetic; and I am tired of having ASC look at it. It just can't hold up the tone.

2) The IVRM is loose; ASC says it is just like that and had even shown me other Citys/Brios to prove that the mirrors are just as loose. I need to figure out a way to tighten it up. Problem is- every time the car jerks because of a speed breaker or pothole, it slips in the position.

I'll be spending some time with the car tomorrow and post a more detailed update.
I have the same observation with the horns. The service associate at Honda told me that it is by design and all Honda City have similar horns which do not hold up the tone. If it really bothers or if you do a lot of highway driving having a good horn is important. Replace it will powerful dual horns, is what I recommend.

The IRVM is also loose for me. Every time I go over a bump it slips down. I asked the Honda service associate (SA) about the same. He told me that this is how Honda City mirrors are. I have fitted a rear camera screen on top of my IRVM, so all the more it slips on every bump because of added weight. I have tried tightening the screw behind the IRVM. It holds up, just about for a few days, and then back to the slipping part. I am thinking of replacing the original IRVM as I think the ball catch is not the best. If the SA is saying Honda City comes with similar 'loose' mirrors, I think, the IRVM lot that the Honda City manufacturing line received, may have been faulty. I say this since I have driven other cars also and own a second car, Getz. The IRVM are petty tight otherwise.

Please update us with your findings and what you do to fix this issues.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 22:22   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If your car is still under warranty then do insist on free replacement. Don't forget to Carry your extended warranty booklet.
Old 6th January 2014, 09:56   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
If your car is still under warranty then do insist on free replacement. Don't forget to Carry your extended warranty booklet.
Since we are talking about warranty, do you know if the fog lamp bulb can be replaced under warranty?

A single bulb costs 1,500 in the Honda A.S.S
Old 6th January 2014, 12:58   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Since we are talking about warranty, do you know if the fog lamp bulb can be replaced under warranty?

Although I doubt it is, you could check with ASC. If the bulb stopped functioning because of non-abuse/wear and tear reasons, they might replace it.

I don't know this since my City doesn't have fog lamps but does Honda give a spare set of fog lamp bulbs along with the spare head lamp bulbs? I ask because Hyundai has given them for our i20.
Old 6th January 2014, 14:43   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Although I doubt it is, you could check with ASC. If the bulb stopped functioning because of non-abuse/wear and tear reasons, they might replace it.

I don't know this since my City doesn't have fog lamps but does Honda give a spare set of fog lamp bulbs along with the spare head lamp bulbs? I ask because Hyundai has given them for our i20.
The service advisor said I had to pay for it and is not covered under warranty. So I just wanted to cross-check that.

They have only included spares for the headlamps.
Old 6th January 2014, 17:18   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post

Bulbs are not covered in warranty AFAIK.
Old 18th June 2015, 20:44   #164
Team-BHP Support

I know this thread is due for an update for a long while now; I hope to post over the weekend.

I just renewed the Insurance for the City; surprisingly, Tata AIG offered zero-dep yet again. Paid 13.5k premium for the coming year which includes zero-dep, add-on for loss of personal belongings, key replacement and hotel/taxi reiumbursement. The IDV is slightly poor at 3.86 lakhs.

Details on the car to follow!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 18th June 2015 at 20:45.
Old 4th July 2015, 20:09   #165
Team-BHP Support

I finally found some time to spend with the car (not driving, that is).

The City is now five years old and the odometer reads 37400 kms; the car, though, feels much younger.

What remains brilliant:

1) The aesthetics: the exterior paint has withstood the dust abuse in Gurgaon pretty well and has a good feel to it. I like this shade of red on the City better than the one offered on the subsequent variants; it hasn't gone dull even after five years.

2) Despite having a beige tone, the interiors have not lost one bit of their charm. It helps that windows are constantly rolled up and the car is kept very well.

3) The mechanicals: the engine responds beautifully to input, the brakes do their job, the a/c chills, the suspension has held itself well.

4) The consumables:
- The tyres have a significant amount of tread left but at five years, are hardening up so there's a chance, we'll change them soon.
- The stock battery still cranks up the engine without any hesitation and the radio/cabin light work well on battery. The upcoming winter will give an indication of the battery's health.

What is a slight cause of concern:

1) The engine can be a little erratic: on neutral, on occasion, it accelerates from about 1.5 to 2.5k rpm at the same pedal input and on the first gear, it is highly sensitive to throttle input. I'll get this checked at the upcoming servicing.

2) Not a cause of concern but more of a complaint. Both the sump guards are kind of slacking in the middle so they scrape even the medium-high speedbreakers. This will have to be tightened.

3) The damn horn.

Other misc points:

1) The servicing is due; will be taking it in in the coming weeks. Should be a fairly routine affair, no major repairs/replacements anticipated.

2) I got the wheel alignment, balancing, rotation done today; thankfully, the Gurgaon craters haven't done much damage.

3) The rear number plate gave way in the middle so a new one was put in. I heard there was some confusion regarding the high-security number plates so just got a regular one fitted.

My Japanese Doll : Habanero Red Honda City S-MT-img_0551.png

My Japanese Doll : Habanero Red Honda City S-MT-img_0549.png

My Japanese Doll : Habanero Red Honda City S-MT-img_0555.jpg

My Japanese Doll : Habanero Red Honda City S-MT-img_0554.jpg
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks