Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2010, 08:30   #46
BHPian

Hey, Have upgraded my 1.6 polo to Polk MM comps, Polk db coaxials and POlk DB subwoofer. Needless to mention I removed the stock HU and put Pioneer 8850 . Probably the best processor I have ever heard. I have put these with scoche finisher, which looks neat. bit compromise on looks but worth the upgrade.
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:11   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran1103 View Post
Hey, Have upgraded my 1.6 polo to Polk MM comps, Polk db coaxials and POlk DB subwoofer. Needless to mention I removed the stock HU and put Pioneer 8850 . Probably the best processor I have ever heard. I have put these with scoche finisher, which looks neat. bit compromise on looks but worth the upgrade.
Hey kiran can you give me a cost breakup for each of them and more importantly can you post some pics of your setup.
Compromise on the looks?, can you explain a bit more maybe through pics
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:16   #48
BHPian

guys i am thinking of going in for front comps and a 4ch amp for the moment.

I have shortlisted the following comps:-
-Focal access 165 A1 ~ 7.5k
-Focal Polyglass 165 VB ~ 11k (I am a little skeptical as the original price of these on the US website is bout 20k)

Can anyone comment about the two choices or can i get anything better for the above prices.

Also i am completely clueless for the 4ch amp. I plan to power the front comps and maybe a sub in the future. Need help guys!
AnkitPrashar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2010, 01:25   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
Hey kiran can you give me a cost breakup for each of them and more importantly can you post some pics of your setup.
Compromise on the looks?, can you explain a bit more maybe through pics
Kiran, Can you please provide the prices of the individual components? I too am planning for American speakers, either Polk or JBL.

The more details you provide, the more it will help me, as I don't have much of a clue.

Quote:

-Focal Polyglass 165 VB ~ 11k (I am a little skeptical as the original price of these on the US website is bout 20k)

Can anyone comment about the two choices or can i get anything better for the above prices.

Also i am completely clueless for the 4ch amp. I plan to power the front comps and maybe a sub in the future. Need help guys!
I am not familiar with the brand. Can you provide a link?

Can someone also clarify whether you can fit an Amp without cutting the wires on the Polo?

Last edited by nowwhat? : 4th November 2010 at 01:31.
Old 4th November 2010, 09:47   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

I am not familiar with the brand. Can you provide a link?

Can someone also clarify whether you can fit an Amp without cutting the wires on the Polo?
I too didn't have much of an idea about this brand. But i saw these speakers, the construction looked good and sturdy. Googled around a bit and found only good reviews about it. I am hoping its one of those higher quality comps above the JBLs, Polks, RF's

Heres there website link:- Focal America
Old 4th November 2010, 16:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My understanding is that you need 5 channel to connect an additional sub woofer. 4 Channels for 4 doors and the fifth one for the sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
99% NO! For that matter, on any car I suppose.

Audio out from the HU has to be connected to the amplifier. Amp out will be connected to the speakers.

If the OEM cable is not utilized at all, and if separate wiring is done for the entire installation, there will be no problem.

Even under this circumstances, I suggest to be very careful with the cable routing. If not taken care, it can obstruct movement of parts like window glass, etc.
Old 4th November 2010, 17:18   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
My understanding is that you need 5 channel to connect an additional sub woofer. 4 Channels for 4 doors and the fifth one for the sub
My understanding is that 4-channel amp is fine. Use the amp to power the front components and the subwoofer.
The rear coaxials can be directly run from the HU, no need for amp.

This I guess is the most common setup.

In my limited experience, I have found JBL to be very good in quality and VFM.
Old 6th November 2010, 00:49   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
My understanding is that 4-channel amp is fine. Use the amp to power the front components and the subwoofer.
The rear coaxials can be directly run from the HU, no need for amp.

This I guess is the most common setup.

In my limited experience, I have found JBL to be very good in quality and VFM.
Exactly my point! Though i am still confused as to what comps and amp i should go for. Have marked a budget for 15k for front comps and a 4ch amp+wiring.

Anyways a very Happy (belated!) Diwali to everyone. Just wanted to post this thing i did in my free time. Hope you guys like it!
Attached Thumbnails
Another 1.6 Polo-polo-email.jpg  

AnkitPrashar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2010, 01:44   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Is your total budget 15k for now? For thr components + an amp? If yes then I suggest you keep aside 8-9k for the amp (something like the JBL Gt5 S644), and 5k or so for the components (Whichever brands speakers sound good to you). And you might have to spend a little more on wiring.

With the 4 channel amp 2 channels can power the front components, and the other 2 can be bridged for the sub. This is going to sound reasonably good, dont expect a very loud set-up. If you are looking for a medium nice sounding upgrade over stock ICE go for something like this.

Quote:
My understanding is that you need 5 channel to connect an additional sub woofer. 4 Channels for 4 doors and the fifth one for the sub.

Even under this circumstances, I suggest to be very careful with the cable routing. If not taken care, it can obstruct movement of parts like window glass, etc.
The stock speakers wont be able to handle the power of an external amp. Also a 5 channel amp is one option, but what ive observed is that for the price of one 5 channel amp sometimes you can get more powerful 4 channel amp + a monoblock.

Well the Polo is no special case, the being careful with cable routing is for all cars.
Old 6th November 2010, 02:35   #55
BHPian

Great drawing skills there!

And regarding your ICE queries, i suggest you seek help in the ICE section here where the gurus will guide you (but be mentally prepared to see your overall budget shooting way over the limit )

Basically it depends on your musical preference. While some might like the sound a bit bright, others prefer laid back.

Do check out the 6.5 inchers from

Illusion Electra 6.1
Bull Audio
Hertz Energy
Infinity Kappa
Old 6th November 2010, 10:00   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
With the 4 channel amp 2 channels can power the front components, and the other 2 can be bridged for the sub. This is going to sound reasonably good, dont expect a very loud set-up. If you are looking for a medium nice sounding upgrade over stock ICE go for something like this.
Very crude solution IMHO (No offense please). Why spend so much, if you want to compromise?
Old 6th November 2010, 10:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very crude solution IMHO (No offense please). Why spend so much, if you want to compromise?

When you say it is a crude solution, are you hypothesizing or have you ever tried or experienced it?
I have a similar setup in my Santro and seen many such setups and the sound is pretty satisfactory, provided you choose the right amp/speakers and proper installation. Given the budget, this IMO is the best possible setup you can have!

Everything in life is a compromise - it is a fact and rather than denying it, we all should learn to live with it.
Of course, as the saying goes - "more the sugar(money), the sweeter (better) it is".
Old 6th November 2010, 12:02   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
When you say it is a crude solution, are you hypothesizing or have you ever tried or experienced it?
I have a similar setup in my Santro and seen many such setups and the sound is pretty satisfactory, provided you choose the right amp/speakers and proper installation. Given the budget, this IMO is the best possible setup you can have!

Everything in life is a compromise - it is a fact and rather than denying it, we all should learn to live with it.
Of course, as the saying goes - "more the sugar(money), the sweeter (better) it is".

Output meant for Sub Woofer will have a filtered frequency range. Where as, other outputs will have wider band of frequencies.

You would love to hear only BASS / Mid Frequencies from the woofer. Don't you? If you connect a normal input to the SUB, you will hear all the frequencies. Would you like it?

My comments were based on sound engineering. Electronically, things may work in many ways. But it may not give an optimum effect.

4+1 Channel Amplifier
Components for the front doors
Co-axial for the back doors
Sub in the boot

If you are a music freek, you should go for it. Budget is secondary. If that was our primary concern, we would not have bought Polo's & Jazz's. Right?
Old 6th November 2010, 12:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Output meant for Sub Woofer will have a filtered frequency range. Where as, other outputs will have wider band of frequencies.

You would love to hear only BASS / Mid Frequencies from the woofer. Don't you? If you connect a normal input to the SUB, you will hear all the frequencies. Would you like it?

My comments were based on sound engineering. Electronically, things may work in many ways. But it may not give an optimum effect.

4+1 Channel Amplifier
Components for the front doors
Co-axial for the back doors
Sub in the boot

If you are a music freek, you should go for it. Budget is secondary. If that was our primary concern, we would not have bought Polo's & Jazz's. Right?

Budget is always a constraint otherwise I would have gone for at least Laura TSI or a Civic
Anyways,coming back to the point, what is relevant here is finding a good setup given the budget of approx 15K.
First of all, for a music freak, 15K is not enough, period.

I am not a music freak but I like to have good quality music in my car. Right now, I am happy with the stock setup and do not feel the need to upgrade it!

For me, the subwoofer is mainly for low and mid-frequencies.
And when you have a setup where the amp powers the front components and the sub, the rear coaxials mainly act as 'fillers' and I do not feel the need of powering them through the amp!
Anyways, I m no ICE expert and this question is better asked in the 'ICE' section and let the experts answer it for Ankit.
Old 6th November 2010, 13:07   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hardly crude my friend. Compromise? You have a better setup for 15k? And sorry 15k isnt much for a great ice set-up. Of course I could go and suggest he gets a 4 channel, a monoblock, a sub, components for the front and back, but then the set up will cost 35k+, which dosent meet his requirement.

Quote:

You do know that some amps are bridgeable, and you can adjust the output to only the low freqs with something called a low pass filter, which is available on the amp itself.

Of course if he can spend 30k+ on a music setup then sure, a 4 channel + mono would be the ideal set up.

And you should do a bit of research before rubbishing other peoples claims.

And +1 to adimicra

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 6th November 2010 at 13:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks