Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2010, 13:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You do know that some amps are bridgeable, and you can adjust the output to only the low freqs with something called a low pass filter, which is available on the amp itself.
Exactly Akshay, the amp I have in my Santro do have a low-pass filter.

Last edited by adimicra : 6th November 2010 at 13:26.
Old 6th November 2010, 15:21   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Very crude solution IMHO (No offense please). Why spend so much, if you want to compromise?
That's how most setups work.
Normally you would be having your best speakers (read good quality comps) at the front doors right? They need more juice while the rear coaxials are just to fill the gap between the front stage and the sub. In a car which seldom has rear seat passengers don't even require the coaxials. A good set of front comps and a sub in the boot will work just as great. You can achieve this easily with a 4 channel amplifier, not every one can afford/need a monoblock to drive the sub

As for feeding in all frequencies to the sub, I guess you got it wrong, the amp has a filter to band pass the required frequencies, the sub has a limited frequency response anyways, most don't play anything over 150 hz.

You are right when you suggested a 5 channel amp, but a 4 channel used in the above configuration is certainly not crude.
Old 6th November 2010, 22:57   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You do know that some amps are bridgeable, and you can adjust the output to only the low freqs with something called a low pass filter, which is available on the amp itself.

And you should do a bit of research before rubbishing other peoples claims.

And +1 to adimicra
Taking the output meant for component / co-axial speakers, filtering it and then feeding it to a sub? I don't understand this. Why should we have a sub at all? Just for the sake of having it? Or is it going to make a difference, even though it is fed with a low wattage input?

Akshay - I am sorry if I have hurt your feelings. I believe in healthy discussions - It does not matter if I am wrong. It will give me a chance to learn.

To stay within the budget, we can do many things. Sellers can mix & match, give us so called "solutions" in many way - just to enable us to stay within our budget. But that does not change technology.

If budget is a constraint, one can buy a good amp & component set for the front doors. Rest can be added in stages. I am definitely not trying to argue with my point. It is just that I am not convinced with the solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
As for feeding in all frequencies to the sub, I guess you got it wrong, the amp has a filter to band pass the required frequencies, the sub has a limited frequency response anyways, most don't play anything over 150 hz.

You are right when you suggested a 5 channel amp, but a 4 channel used in the above configuration is certainly not crude.
Will that not mean " effectively do not play anything over 150 hz" ? If a low pass filter is not used, it can bring down overall sound quality.

By calling it crude, I meant it to be a compromise - technically. I did not mean to hurt anybody.
Old 6th November 2010, 23:08   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Taking the output meant for component / co-axial speakers, filtering it and then feeding it to a sub? I don't understand this. Why should we have a sub at all? Just for the sake of having it? Or is it going to make a difference, even though it is fed with a low wattage input? I completely forgot this point. It would be so only if he was using the stock HU, but still it would be much, much better than stock, and it would make a difference. Low wattage? The 2 channels of a 4 channel amp would not be low wattage, they would be enough depending on the sub chosen.

Akshay - I am sorry if I have hurt your feelings. I believe in healthy discussions - It does not matter if I am wrong. It will give me a chance to learn. We are all here for healthy discussion, I misunderstood when you said crude. No need at all to apologise sir.

To stay within the budget, we can do many things. Sellers can mix & match, give us so called "solutions" in many way - just to enable us to stay within our budget. But that does not change technology.
Lol in 15 he might be able to get a 4 channel + a mono + speakers + sub but it all depends on the brands right? If he wants decent quality music (again subjective) in 15k only a 4 channel amp + compos would fit.

If budget is a constraint, one can buy a good amp & component set for the front doors. Rest can be added in stages. I am definitely not trying to argue with my point. It is just that I am not convinced with the solution. Agreed about buying in stages.
Replied in bold.

Oh btw completely forgot till now, in my Innova im using one powerful 4 channel alpine amp, of which 2 channels are powering 4 Alpine co-axials and the other 2 are powering an Alpine sub. Believe me it sounds quite good. You would be surprised.

Secondly he is using an aftermarket HU which would have pre-outs, so the quality would be fine.

Thirdly another option would be to buy a 2 channel amp and some nice compos for the front, and later on buy a monoblock and a sub.
Old 7th November 2010, 00:48   #65
BHPian

ok i really need to bridge in before we go overboard!I am sorry i should have been more clear.
My HU is an aftermarket one and definately has a 4.1ch RCA output. I am not looking for a very loud sound. I mainly want good clarity with decent base. I have been using Pioneer T-2150 in the rear with stock front speakers in my corolla and that too without an amp and i was quite satisfied with it.
I have marked a budget of15k for front comps and a 4ch amp for this first step. Later on i may go for a sub/rear coaxials/monoblock amp, as i feel the need for them.
So right now my main aim is to get the best possible sounding comps for the front and a decent amp to power them (and maybe a sub in the future). So once again i am not looking for a very loud sound but mainly clarity.
I have been reading the ICE section and i do get an idea that i would go way over my budget if i go by them!
Right now i am struggling with the fact that every shop guy says only that XYZ speaker is good which he has and i haven't had the chance to hear any of the comps for that matter in any car or demo car.
Anyone suggest me good shops in delhi/gurgaon, or somewhere i can get a demo of some comps/amps possibly installed in a car
Old 7th November 2010, 00:52   #66
Team-BHP Support

Well in that case why not spend 5k or so more and get a sub too, you will be totally satisfied with your set up then.

In Delhi, driven is supposed to be good and so is Gyro. Start a thread or search around the ICE section.
Old 7th November 2010, 01:51   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Well in that case why not spend 5k or so more and get a sub too, you will be totally satisfied with your set up then.

In Delhi, driven is supposed to be good and so is Gyro. Start a thread or search around the ICE section.
Well the sub will possibly the next step.
Thanks, Driven seems a good place to go to, will need an entire day though!
Old 7th November 2010, 14:35   #68

Hey congrats on your polo 1.6!! Even I have the same car, Can u tell me where you get this Witson W2 D723V for my car? and How do i go about this. Thanks!!

Note from Team-BHP Support Staff : Post edited. Please avoid quoting entire large posts. It inconveniences our small screen readers. Thanks.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th November 2010 at 22:44. Reason: See Moderator note in post.
Old 8th November 2010, 09:30   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv9990 View Post
Hey congrats on your polo 1.6!! Even I have the same car, Can u tell me where you get this Witson W2 D723V for my car? and How do i go about this. Thanks!!
Ankit got his Witson shipped from China. Details are on this thread and Chethan B. G.'s Polo thread.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:45   #70
BHPian

Hi AnkitPrashar

I too have booked a Polo 1.6. I have read your review too. Wanted to know more about how it handles on the highways. Do you have to work hard to keep it on the boil? What about power availability when overtaking? I own a Honda City ZX and it does not infuse confidence on the highway.
Old 19th November 2010, 16:29   #71
BHPian

got my car ICE'd from Driven , thanks akshay1234 for referring

I got Rainbow Audio SLX 265 deluxe front comps along with a Kenwood 4ch amp (8404, i think!). Everything along with the wiring costed me 22k!! while my intial budget was 15k
In the end i am very much satisfied by the sound. I believe buying the Witson and saving 20K (as compared to pioneer/caska) was a good decision. I think a touchscreen HU needs a good set of speakers and in no way can a set of coaxials do the job! Therefore i just had to buy components
My next upgrade would be a decent sub to complete the sound.

While installing the speakers i inquired about the need for damping the front doors. The installer was quite surprised to see the strong build quality of the door and told me that unless i would be installing a very high end component system, i don't actually need damping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshkm View Post
Hi AnkitPrashar

I too have booked a Polo 1.6. I have read your review too. Wanted to know more about how it handles on the highways. Do you have to work hard to keep it on the boil? What about power availability when overtaking? I own a Honda City ZX and it does not infuse confidence on the highway.

The car handles superbly on the highway. I didn't fell any body roll and the car is planted at high speeds. I feel much more confident driving this at high speeds as compared to old corolla. The power availability is good enough in gears 3&4 and i use the 5th only for cruising. I think you will find enough power in the car for easy overtaking as long as you are not in the 5th gear
Old 19th November 2010, 18:00   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
In the end i am very much satisfied by the sound. I believe buying the Witson and saving 20K (as compared to pioneer/caska) was a good decision. I think a touchscreen HU needs a good set of speakers and in no way can a set of coaxials do the job! Therefore i just had to buy components
My next upgrade would be a decent sub to complete the sound.

While installing the speakers i inquired about the need for damping the front doors. The installer was quite surprised to see the strong build quality of the door and told me that unless i would be installing a very high end component system, i don't actually need damping!
Hi Ankit - I think that is the way. I am not really sure about Caska. They are still dilly dallying about the shipment itself! I am seriously thinking of JVC. Let us see.

Regarding the damping, I was also told the same by the installer! I unnecessarily insisted. IMHO, if the speakers are seated without any gaps in the spacers, dampers are not required for Polo. Atleast for this kind of of a setup.

By the way, where have you got the tweeters fitted? On the "A" pillar? Can you post some pics?

Also, please clarify the following on Witson HU:
  • Does the Key illumination (Red color) work?
  • Does the HU switch-off when the ignition is turned-off?
  • If the HU is on during Ignition, will it go off when you crank the engine?
Old 19th November 2010, 18:51   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ankit - I think that is the way. I am not really sure about Caska. They are still dilly dallying about the shipment itself! I am seriously thinking of JVC. Let us see.
JVC will give you the peace of mind with the warranty (though it wont look like an integrated one which goes with the overall interior)

Regarding the damping, I was also told the same by the installer! I unnecessarily insisted. IMHO, if the speakers are seated without any gaps in the spacers, dampers are not required for Polo. Atleast for this kind of of a setup.

By the way, where have you got the tweeters fitted? On the "A" pillar? Can you post some pics?

At the moment i have just placed it on the dash itself near the a-pillar using a double sided tape. I will play around with the location to get the best sound. I don't intend to cut a hole in the a-pillar trim and put the tweeters there atleast for the moment!

Also, please clarify the following on Witson HU:
  • Does the Key illumination (Red color) work?
    Yes ofcourse, and the colour is a perfect match
  • Does the HU switch-off when the ignition is turned-off?
    It doesn't until you completely turn the key to the off position (the last position after which you are able to take out the key)
  • If the HU is on during Ignition, will it go off when you crank the engine?
    Nope, when i crank the engine, the unit stays on and its seamless. Its funny because in all my other cars, when i do crank the engine, the HU switches off for a few seconds or so but nothing like this in the Polo
have put the answers in bold
Old 19th November 2010, 21:19   #74
BHPian

Ankit congrats on your new acquisition, it is really a stunner. Can you please post the mileage you are getting.
Old 19th November 2010, 21:55   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
have put the answers in bold
I had Caska HU in my Polo for a couple of days. That used to go off when I crank the engine. I had to manually switch it on again. May-be, that was because it was meant for Jatta.

Problem was that the Navigation setting had to be done again. That was irritating since it used to take almost 2 mins.

I am importing Fascia from Dynamic sounds (Connect 2). I have already ordered it in UK. I will be getting it next week. Quality seems good. Let us see. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Car Audio Systems, Car Stereo, In Car Audio Stereo, Car Speakers Amplifiers Stereo Head Unit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks