Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2011, 22:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!

@ Mandheers, looks like your tire definitely has a small punchure. Get it checked. Also, for the flattering noise, you can try putting the blower at highest and rotating the knob which directs the air flow from one vent to other (from face to leg to windscreen), if something is stuck, it should come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Get a few essential mods done and see what difference it makes in terms of performance.
Oh and yes it can do 200 easy.Have done close to 214 (Thanks to GPS monitoring) in my lancer with this 2.0L engine.
The cedia has a 3.722 FD compared to 4.05 of the petrol lancer(I am using this gearbox).So basically you will be able to achieve higher top speeds but would be slightly sluggish initially thanks to the taller gearing.I get better initial performance thanks to the shorter gearing.
So if my lancer can do 200+ with the shorter lancer gearbox, yours can do it easily.
I have been a silent spectator to your thread but I must say its an excellent place to learn more about the modifications and lot. Moreso, what you did with the 4G94 and how you tuned your diesel commuter into an racer. Must say, even though, the modification industry is starting to grow, very few people have the know how to carry out such a job .

I too am keen on learning more about mods but some important things have kept me busy. But there is one thing for sure, I am in for performance mods in another 2-3 years, damn these Mitsuis are addictive. So bad, they dont get their due credit in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Why not PS3 ? Would have improved your road handling a lot more than the Primacy LCs.
Are the PS3 available now? Whats the pricing like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
One quick query again: so another of my friends picked up a Cruze and he invited me to try it against the Cedia.
I politely declined, but would like to know how does the Cruze fair against a Cedia.

Cedia can easily compete with the cruze. Ofcourse, 0-100 takes slightly more than the cruze, but one is not to forget that the cruze peaks at 4k rpm, where as the cedia at 5300 (officially, cutoff comes in at 6k). So, in cruze you need to be between 2k to 4k rpm all the time to maintain the run. I think turbo kicks in at 1800 rpm, if I am not wrong.

Also, the gear shift of cruze is nothing to write about, whereas the one in cedia is an absolute pleasure to work upon. So the faster you shift, the quicker you are.

Thats talking about straight line, when you talk about the corners, it does not even hold a candle to cedia. Try doing a left right left at high speeds (over 100-120), and the independent multi link rear suspension in cedia works much better than the torsion beam of cruze. Take a curve and the chassis of cruze will not be as stable as that of cedia and will require correction all the time.

I have read on other threads about fastest 20-100 cars etc in price brackets; and sadly again the Cedia is rarely mentioned. But I have taken the 'bag of salt' with me.

If I take the auto car figures, the cruze does 0-100 in 9.6 seconds and cedia in 10.2secs. However, 20-80 in cedia is better, the cruze does it in 13.8 secs in 3rd gear and the cedia does it in 11.9 secs.

So now in my understaning a 2ltr petrol could well go up against a 2ltr diesel, but the Cruze is another story. I have seen it go; not driven one; and it might lack low end torque, but it sure packs steam and might outrun a Cedia.

First of all, it completely depends on how you drive. On a straight, even if cedia may not manage to overtake cruze, the cruze certainly wont manage to pull away and VICE VERSA. Of my personal experience, I once had a cruze at my tail and even at higher speeds it couldnt manage to overtake me. But ofcourse, I couldnt manage to pull away either, till I hit a corner hard.

Not that I'm racing it, not given our road conditions and not in th city. The last silly bit I did was race my Lancer with an Octavia, but it was out of anger for having been nicked at 2AM on Dadar Flyover.

Didn't get the better of the Octi, all the way through Tulsi Pipe to Reclamation to Carter Road to Juhu, and the Lancer went for suspension work the next day. It was a girl in a red Octi, year 2007.

The lancer again can easlily take on Octy diesel (petrol is a different story all together). The 0-100 secs figures are actually faster for lancer. Cant say in your case, but next time you drive a lancer, dont upshift till 7k rpm . As I say, the 5th gear may get you better FE, but its the 3rd and 4th that actually win you races.

And yes taking on octy wasnt silly, atleast not in lancer. In its stock form, my cousin's lancer has taken on the likes of civic, 3, accord v6, camary and many more. Not that we always won but the one with 3 has been the most memorable so far.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 7th March 2011 at 22:16.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2011, 00:03   #62
BHPian

The Red Beast's first dent.

Not somethin to post though but it's about the other guy. For him it's no-more-jumpin-signals & a liquid-diet next few days.

Still don't understand why people cannot be patient, in-line and self governed. That's what traffic signals are for, to be followed, so that you don't need to be herded and shoo-ed like cattle by an individual with a cane + whistle.

But our country's civic sense itself is a long way to go, traffic sense is altogether another story.
Old 8th March 2011, 02:57   #63
Senior - BHPian

Hey, that is tough luck. What is with the liquid diet bit. The guy hit his face on your fist or something !! Intriguing, await details and trust that you are ok and happily munching away.

I too had my first scrape a couple of weeks ago and a tree is to blame for that.
Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-dsc02287.jpg
Anyways got it repainted and things are shipshape for now.

Last edited by khoj : 8th March 2011 at 03:01.
Old 8th March 2011, 10:55   #64
Senior - BHPian

I will add to Gaurav's advise on the blower. It is fairly easy job to access this blower through the dashboard (of course for the trained mechanic). I had similar problem after an year or so, a continuous ticking noise, proportionate to the blower speed. The Service guy at Chennai opened the blower part, cleaned out some piece of paper stuck there and put it back in less than 1/2 hr. You may check with the service person for getting this done.
Old 9th March 2011, 15:35   #65
BHPian

That's the damage done to the left passenger door there. It's a noticeable dent and a seres of scratches on the indentation.

I was crossing on my signal and this other cart pushing bloke just kept coming on. I usually give right of way to all those who push/pull vehicles etc themselves, but this push cart was empty and the guy was a strapping young man who was merrily singing his way through.

I was at the signal, saw him from across the road, and went for it as mine went green. I even saw him starting, and increased my speed to keep margin, suspecting that he'd not stop, which he did not.

But out of some stroke of chance, he just let the cart freewheel and lifted himself up onto the pushing end, on his arms, the way kids do behind vehicles, with feet getting of the ground.

I saw that through the corner of my eye as I really really keep margins for all such activities in traffic, and then I saw his cart's front left corner-tip disappear from my left side window glass, and my heart sank when I heard that loud clank and then the harsh scraping sound.

When I looked around in dismay, the man was smailing back at me waving at me to go on, and motioning that nothing happened.

There was quite a bit of traffic behind me since I was first at the signal, but then that scraping sound was echoing in my ears, so I decided against it.

I got down to inspect the damage and the guy kept laughing as if I was unnecessarily bothering as there was no damage, and went on to tell me that too.

He even referred to me as 'unkill' (read uncle); and I am only 32; but that's another story.

The rear door had this gash and was dented inward too.

I would've let it pass; and usually settle for a sorry or even an apologetic look, but this man was asking for it.

There was a much bigger incident involving a water tanker and my Accent on LBS Marg in December last; and basically the trucker had mounted his left front wheel on to my bonnet from the right, while I was maintaining my 'imaginary' lane.

That alone cost me a badly torn trye, right fender job, wheel rim repair and a full new front fender. And I did not even raise my voice since the guy got down and apologized that his steering locked out, which it did and the tanker was immovable temporarily.

Cut back to the cart pushing bloke, so I had to grab him, get him closer to the door to show him what he did; and still he laughed and said something, which got lost in a sudden loud noise.

That noise, ladies and gentlemen, was his entire left face coming and ensconcing itself into the palm of my right hand, in a much hurried and hurting fashion.

I don't believe in using brute force on people as a rule, but people like these and instances like such just happen to remind me that sometimes, actions do speak louder than words.

The 'action' had a magical impact on not just the bloke, but to the rickshaw guy who was yelling to move the car, the guy at the wheel in the Innova yelling obscenities, the bunch of 4-5 young guys coming running from across the road and maybe a few more around; but suddenly the rickshaw guy sat back quietly and waited in his rick, the Innova guy stopped honking and rolled up his window, and as for those guys darting across the road: well I asked them if they were looking to run into my other limbs, and they dispersed.

Oh yes, all this while, for some strange reason the laughing bloke who scratched my car was on the road, on all fours, frantically looking for something he dropped maybe. He got up and surprisingly apologized, profusely. It was the way and tone in which he said that, wth the apparent difficulty, that I deduced that it's liquid diet next few days for him.

My wife kept laughing at this incident when I narrated it once home, but I felt as if that cart had come and jabbed me in the ribs and scarred me bad, not my car; and no: for the record, it was not because he called me 'unkill'.
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-08032011247.jpg  

Last edited by mandheers : 9th March 2011 at 15:36.
Old 29th March 2011, 12:42   #66
BHPian

Ok, so this morning I turned the ignition as usual, the car started as usual and then died.

The engine just died and then wouldn't start at all.

Called the Mitsubishi Helpline, they asked me to check vitals etc and a few telltale signs, but all was fine and the starter was engaging etc, the electricals and lights were working fine but didn't start.

Well they sent a flat-bed tow truck and a technician to pick up Red. Was given a complaint number and told it might be the fuel pump.

No clue why and am borderline devastated but the promptness and ready-to-help attitude was assuring.

Will keep you guys posted, do advise if you see anything here.
Old 29th March 2011, 17:38   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so this morning I turned the ignition as usual, the car started as usual and then died.
Just got off the phone with the Mitsubishi regional service head: one Roopesh. (very polite, knowledgable and helpful gentleman)

I have been quoted 7,000/- for getting the car back running. It is a fuel pump armature which has gone bad, and no, it's not under warranty.

This was surprising, and Roopesh clarified that the part is averse to only fuel in Mumbai. This being so owing to higher levels of adulteration in fuels in Mumbai.

Surprisingly all reported problems in Cedias have been from Mumbai only, although a handful only, in all these years.

Now, just got another call from Roopesh and he has requested getting this done under warranty considering I have just bought the vehicle. Speedy settlement there.

So I wont be charged, thanks to him, but the fear looms large that the problem might repeat itself, considering I stay in the city notorious for fuel adulteration.

Anyways, he also said the problem is not very frequent but I am relieved that at least I now know 'why', and even checked if using Speed as alternative might help.

Just my odd math considering it's a higher octane fuel and is lesser used of the two, and just might not be as adulterated.

Fingers crossed and Red's coming back. Do hit me if you guys have any advise on this and even on the fuel bit.
Old 29th March 2011, 20:15   #68
Senior - BHPian

Part not covered under warranty and that too only in Bombay!!!

I definitely need to check this out as it is a scary proposition. Good to know that they extended the courtesy repair which again leaves one thinking, new car or not as long as it is under warranty it should be treated at par.
Old 29th March 2011, 23:12   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Part not covered under warranty and that too only in Bombay!!!

I definitely need to check this out as it is a scary proposition. Good to know that they extended the courtesy repair which again leaves one thinking, new car or not as long as it is under warranty it should be treated at par.
Exactly my concern khoj. Had I not pushed to speak to a HM guy, the GN Automotive (Worli) service head, a certain John had left word for me that it will be chargeable and not covered under warranty. (that's standard procedure)

The repair amount was awaiting my 'approval' when I called to check status.

Even the conversation with Roopesh from HM was not very reassuring since he himself admitted that the same problem could recur in maybe just another month or two, and there is no guarantee that HM or Mitsubishi can give towards the same, and hence have withdrawn warranty on the particular part.

I will not have the luxury of fuelling up at the same station every time, what if I decide to take a road trip- and get stuck between nowhere and beyond for the lack of pure fuel. It's good as totalled.

Scary thought, and my wife's worried about me being worried sick already.

Dont know man, I mean fuel's the bread and butter of cars right- and no warranty on Fuel Pump?
Old 1st April 2011, 13:41   #70
BHPian

Got Red back today.

Must say the GN Automotive supervisor, John, was a big pain, and I spared him the liquid diet just marginally. He almost got to fisticuffs with an employee there and the way he was shouting is no way to treat co-workers.

All of you from Mumbai please avoid GN Automotive, Worli and rather visit Motordrome, Chandivali, which is Mitsubishi's company operated workshop too.

So finally, the part is not covered under warranty, across India, but most reported problems are from Mumbai.

The fuel pump armature is the one at fault which needs changing and costs 7k.

There is nothing that Mitsubishi or HM can/might do about it.

Originally the cost was 22k for the entire fuel pump which was failing earlier, and now they have reduced it to 7k by developing a 'child part'. There are monthly price revisions and price might go down is what I have been told.

Scary thought that it might fail at the very next instance of adulterated fuel.

Even COCO pumps are not 'safe' since the truckers may adulterate prior to entering Mumbai limits since they have to 'pay' a few people on the way.

All said, COCO pumps are still a safer bet.

Many thanks to Roopesh from HM for all his help.
Old 1st April 2011, 14:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Even COCO pumps are not 'safe' since the truckers may adulterate prior to entering Mumbai limits since they have to 'pay' a few people on the way.

All said, COCO pumps are still a safer bet.
Hi M,
Good news indeed - but terrible about the need to pay for it !
In Mumbai the COCO/PfS pumps are relatively safe as BPCL supplies the same directly out of Mumbai, as I was informed by some BPCL chappies. Firstly they are sealed by a specific process in case of PfS supplies and secondly very little time for them to tamper if travelling within Mumbai for deliveries I guess.
Good luck on fuelling !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2011, 23:43   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi M,
Good news indeed - but terrible about the need to pay for it !
In Mumbai the COCO/PfS pumps are relatively safe as BPCL supplies the same directly out of Mumbai, as I was informed by some BPCL chappies. Firstly they are sealed by a specific process in case of PfS supplies and secondly very little time for them to tamper if travelling within Mumbai for deliveries I guess.
Good luck on fuelling !
Thanks Herr Guderian, but one ponders on the reliability assurance of such a vehicle and you cant even imagine the pain it caused knowing that my 2 month old acquisition is actually prone to such failures.

It makes the car very unreliable and given the service standards doled out whilst attending to a known issue etc the ranking just slid down in my books.

When you realize that a part like the fuel pump' could fail at a few thousand kilometers, and has chances of repeating itself and more so not being covered under warranty and also has the ill-effect of leaving you at the mercy of road-side assistance, then that's not a pretty sight.

Definitely starts to rules out the out-of-town drives with family on this one, and I am already dreading the onset of Mumbai monsoons.

One can only try and lookout for CoCo/PFS pumps, but the ones I have been filling from duly are PFS.

Money gone waste, and that's what I'm starting to think. Mind says should've bought a Civic instead, and that's what it said earlier too, hell with GC.

Heart is another story every time I get behind the wheel in Red.
Old 2nd April 2011, 03:26   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got Red back today.

All of you from Mumbai please avoid GN Automotive, Worli and rather visit Motordrome, Chandivali, which is Mitsubishi's company operated workshop too.

The fuel pump armature is the one at fault which needs changing and costs 7k.

Originally the cost was 22k for the entire fuel pump which was failing earlier, and now they have reduced it to 7k by developing a 'child part'. There are monthly price revisions and price might go down is what I have been told.
An input here, from 1st April 2011 operations at Motordrome have been taken over by Lakozy. The same Lakozy who also own one of the Toyota dealerships in the city.

Now that it is clear that the warranty does not apply on a pan India basis, the thought in my mind that had been floating since reading about your fuel pump stands confirmed. Per my understanding this issue had less to do with fuel adulteration and more with the fuel system itself. However the comment about the 'warranty not valid in Bombay only' was the niggling bit and now that is gone. Moreover the very fact that HM has found the fault in the armature rules out the fuel bit as the armature is not a wetted part, it does not come in contact with the fluid being pumped i.e.petrol. Oh and in the same vein you can ignore my advise regarding having the fuel tank and filter looked into.

So that should be a load of your mind and trust that the Red will be back where it belongs which is 'On the highway'

I am also happy to note that Mitsubishi has acted proactively and developed the 'child part' thereby reducing the outgo by2/3rds and is also extending courtesy repairs. I am however happier to note that there are monthly price revisions. Why? This tells us two things. One that part(s) are still being imported from Japan and I for one would rather take a chance with bad (pun intended) Jap manufactured parts rather than unknown quality localised ones. Second, they are ensuring that the parts (again not limited to the armature) are available in a steady flow thus necessitating the monthly INR vs USD vs Yen adjustments.

Take care and burn some serious rubber this weekend. It is the perfect Saturday for driving what with the entire World tied down to their TV sets.
Ciao

EDIT If it provides any consolation, there is a thread dedicated to running repairs and costs involved on Civic's parts that go kaput. Complaints are dime-a-dozen.

Re EDIT The costs being posted on that thread will definitely put a smile back on your face and the reported attitude problems of the SAs and Honda officials will have you grinning. No friendly Roopeshs or free courtesies there just a$$^@\*$ like John(I have dealt with him too).

Last edited by khoj : 2nd April 2011 at 03:37.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2011, 10:48   #74
BHPian

Thanks Khoj!

Yes, got to know about Lakozy takeover last night only. Roopesh was very kind to inform me about the same and also that Lakozy plans to invest in a few more locations around Mumbai and maybe a dealership too.

As regards John, well, Roopesh has got enough complaints on the guy already, and your guess is as good as mine to what's in store.

Anyways, had a word with Red last night and this morning, yes I do that sometimes, and I guess we have an understanding. I mean she died on me in the garage, and not on the road, and I thanked her for that.

But now that she's back, I took your advise on making the best of today, and here I am at my desk in office.

Cant say if I burnt some rubber, but that Linkin Park track 'Bleed it out' got me doing some left-right-left and 3rd-4th-3rd on the highway and JVLR.

Heck I even went through a Police check 'zig-zag' with the clutch pressed- the 'swimming' bit I mentioned earlier. (dunno if that has a technical name)

Thanks for the heads-up on the Civic, but that was just a passing thought which I killed last night itself. It's Red for me! (much like the yesteryears commercial- Gimme Red!)

OT: saw an accidented orange Cedia (repainted maybe, in Nissan Micra tone) on JVLR, opp Pizza Hut Powai, morning before. It's front end was lodged on the divider and both airbags had deployed. The parking indicators were on and the car was locked, with windows rolled up and no other damage apart from the mid of front bumper, and radiator maybe. The fact that it was left locked and parking on was assuring enough that nobody much was hurt.

Didn't feel like taking a pic as it was a hurtful sight as is, and you don't see many Cedias anyway.
Old 2nd April 2011, 20:12   #75
BHPian

Mandheers really disturbing reading your experience!!

I am sure if it had happened to me in the first 2months, i would have gone into a mild depressive episode!!i mean when you are that attached to your car, it happens!that too a car which you bought with your heart and not your head!!

Are you planning on pursuing this matter with higher-ups further?to see if at least as a goodwill sign they can replace it free next time?God forbid, hope you wont have to go through such an experience another time!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks