Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2012, 13:03   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!

Dear Mandheer,
I am posting the link of my car's 30K update to share my experience on those issues.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2671404
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 18:40   #137
BHPian

The Mitsubishi India team on Twitter replied to my query and asked me to write in to smm@hindmotor.com

The HM team responded to my email, rather promptly. This was Jan 31st, and the next week a posse of technicians came over to my office to inspect the car and do a TD.

I showed them around how the brakes were spongy, steering was jarry, and suspension made sounds.

Their test driver also noticed a slight 'missing' at lower RPMs.

Anyways, they took the car today.

Past few days the sound from front suspension had increased and changed to a metallic clank.

This was particularly when I took a right turn, and the road was a wee bit broken or uneven, and there would be a metal clanking, like the kinds we hear if someone leaves or forgets a screwdriver in the engine bay or if you forget to secure the bonnet stopper.

I know the instances since both have happened in my previous cars, and something to make a loud clanking noise it has to be loose or broken or ending wear.

I did some spirited driving on an empty stretch, near Powai Lake and the steering behaved odd, as if the front tires were losing grip and required correction. Simply put, it was a bit scary so I dropped speed. The braking was also not straight line when I dropped speed, since I did that immediately the front startled me.

The Aquest guys supposedly 'thoroughly checked' the suspension and did a re-torque when the car went for 15000 service on 19th Jan, they should have checked better.

The second bit is the fuel economy, and also considering it is winters and pleasant in Mumbai, I use the AC far lesser than 100%.

I burn up 20 litres in 3-4 days, and it goes only 120-140kms from low fuel light to low fuel light. I don't know if this a good measure, but I just got tired of full tanks since they ran out on me before the week did.

I usually drive below 2000 rpm, and now even with about 60% AC, the mileage is deplorable, pathetic and the drive is atrocious at times. It has it's sparks, but needs some serious looking into.

Spoke to a few Cedia owners from Mumbai, all get a steady 9-10kmpl with AC, and one gentleman used to get a 11-11.5 in city driving conditions.

The service guys will revert by tomorrow afternoon, and I will update.
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 22:10   #138
BHPian

mandheers you really had a bad experience with your cedia. hope it is all settled after this service.

Guess Mitsubishi on their part did well to respond quickly!
carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 01:29   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
The service guys will revert by tomorrow afternoon, and I will update.
I seriously wish that they take care of all the issues once and for all before returning you the car, even if it takes a couple of days.. Its been quite some time..

All the Best..
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 11:17   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
mandheers you really had a bad experience with your cedia. hope it is all settled after this service.

Guess Mitsubishi on their part did well to respond quickly!
Yes, they are prompt.
But they should also be able to identify issues and fix them.
Hoping they do, I don't mind the time they take, but they should fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I seriously wish that they take care of all the issues once and for all before returning you the car, even if it takes a couple of days.. Its been quite some time..

All the Best..
Amen GC!
I have written to the HM Mitsubishi team again about the sound going louder and it shows poorly on Aquest since the team thoroughly checked everything just last month.
I will see how it goes or else will just sell the car in a year or so, it's getting too much to handle and I like to drive man.
Will go pick up a used Accord or Skoda.
It is guzzling fuel like nobody's business, and I was optimistic all this while that the FE might settle down in a few services etc.
My Accent returns a rock-steady 10 kmpl with 100% AC in exactly similar conditions, and that's a car notorious for it's FE.
This time the light came on at about 136 kms, on 20 litres, yesterday and I am not even using the AC as much.
I'd rather drive something bigger and punchier if I have to live with a 6-7 FE.

Last edited by mandheers : 16th February 2012 at 11:24.
Old 17th February 2012, 11:03   #141
BHPian

Day 3 in service, update: The Aquest guys called, they checked the entire front suspension setup, tires, brake assembly and didn't find anything amiss!

Well, the last time my car went back and forth about 3-4 times before they finally located the rear suspension 'rattle' noise issue and rectified it.

Ok, ok, guess I am a finicky driver, but I know what sounds good and what doesn't.

They will run the FE test today, I will have to pay for the fuel I'm told, but guess that's ok. (edit: the service adviser said Cedias in Mumbai traffic return anywhere between 9-10 kmpl)

I have told them to do a TD with me as well.

There are specific spots on my daily route where the sounds are very pronounced, and I will try them again, in the TD.

Do not intend to take delivery until completely satisfied.

Another question I have: should I renew the Mitsubishi Roadside Assistance? It was free for the first year.

I am not certain, but the Bajaj Allianz 'Drive Assure' has a clause for breakdown pickup etc.

Will check again.

Last edited by mandheers : 17th February 2012 at 11:04.
Old 17th February 2012, 12:36   #142
Senior - BHPian

^With Tata AIG, the road side assistance was within 100 km from the city (or perhaps Tata AIG office - not sure).
There might be similar clause with Bajaj - I will need to check since I have gone with Bajaj too.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 19:23   #143
BHPian

Update Part 2: The car is back and there are a few developments.

Well they ran the FE test after the throttle body + air filter etc cleaning and everything and they had filled up 14.9 llitres on which the car went about 160 kms, so the maths comes to about 10-11 kmpl.

They did this with AC and in traffic is what they say.

I will take that on face vale and will try the next few days how the FE fares with me and my driving, and I really cannot drive anymore sedate than I already do.

Update on the clanking noise is that they heard it on their 160 kms TD, and have diagnosed it as a steering column issue.

There is some issue which they did not detail but my job sheet reads 'Steering column needs to be replaced. Part order placed under warranty.'

The parts will arrive in 7-8 days and they will recall the vehicle once again for the replacement.

Anyone has any experience about this or the gravity of the situation?

I will be driving around until the part arrives, hope that's gonna be ok!

About the rear suspension and the brakes, they have done some lubricating and re-torquing etc and they said there are no issues with both setups.

Will update on the FE after a few days of driving around.

Cheers to that, and I will still give decent ratings to the experience with the service guys.
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:30   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Day 3 in service, update: The Aquest guys called, they checked the entire front suspension setup, tires, brake assembly and didn't find anything amiss!
Do you find any difference after they delivered the car, especially with the brakes. Last thing you can do is get the front discs cleaned with sandpaper and instal new pads. But this is really ridiculous .

Quote:
Another question I have: should I renew the Mitsubishi Roadside Assistance? It was free for the first year.
No, better get any other service from crossroads etc..

Quote:
Well they ran the FE test after the throttle body + air filter etc cleaning and everything and they had filled up 14.9 llitres on which the car went about 160 kms, so the maths comes to about 10-11 kmpl.

They did this with AC and in traffic is what they say.
So has the FE really increased? if they got 10-11 in traffic with AC, then I dont think there is anything a miss. But then there is no reason why you dont get the same FE. You aint a new driver either.

Quote:
Update on the clanking noise is that they heard it on their 160 kms TD, and have diagnosed it as a steering column issue.

There is some issue which they did not detail but my job sheet reads 'Steering column needs to be replaced. Part order placed under warranty.'
I think CBlazer's cedia's steering column was also to be replaced under warranty. PM him to find out more. Damn, what happened to parts made in Japan .

Quote:
Cheers to that, and I will still give decent ratings to the experience with the service guys.
I'd be more happy to know that the problems have been resolved..:(

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 23rd February 2012 at 13:32.
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:58   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Do you find any difference after they delivered the car, especially with the brakes. Last thing you can do is get the front discs cleaned with sandpaper and instal new pads. But this is really ridiculous .
Brakes are the same old, slightly better, but not at all like 4 discs.

The car came back with the amber light and I fuelled up 20 litres from just across my office.

Went 130 kms on that, and all of it was way below 2k RPM religiously, with 100% AC, but I guess the car was run on amber quite some distance before being delivered, so I ignored that reading.

Fuelled up again day before, immediately as the amber light came on and re-checking.

They have done some ECU reset and some different tuning maybe, is what I feel, since throttle response is totally different and my Kenwood HU was reset back to factory settings for the first time it has ever came back from service.

Earlier the RPM needle used to hang around 1100rpm on idling with AC, now it stays below 1000rpm on idle with AC.

Also, earlier it used to rush past 2k RPM when starting from stand-still in 1st, now it stays well below 1k RPM even when starting from stand still, and the hi-revv feel is gone, but no difference in power delivery.

If I step on the pedal it shoots forward, so that is a respite that they haven't made a dent there.

These are just my observations.

So now I can do 50 in 5th at about 1100 RPM easily and as a result I am shifting gears sooner too, to reach 5th without a stutter from the engine, so I dont know how to put it.

Seems ok to me as I drive sedate 85% of the time, just waiting for the amber to check what's up now.

Thanks GC, I will ask CBlazer, but am sure they have done may changes internally to minimize costs. I got worked up seeing a Cedia post by Mitsubishi today on FB, and I wrote a line there.

Now the entire front dash area makes strange creaking noises since after it has come back.

There is a noise from the glove area, creaking, and as if a loose screw is rolling around, then there is a creaking from where the double din HU is and then the loudest comes from the speedometer console area, and it is like a loose acrylic sheet vibrating due to resonance at lower RPMs and low speeds especially when going over a rumbled spot or slightly broken road.

Highly annoying, so I am waiting for them to recall the car for the steering column, and hoping the noises are owing to that, what do you think?

Lastly, I have been ranting about the steering being 'OFF' since last year July or August and now things have gotten to this, and they found the steering column is faulty finally.

I am sure there is something wrong with the damn brakes and the suspension too. The front is noisy, dashboard sounds apart and the rear left is just silly bouncy man.

There is no fun in the drive, apart from the air conditioning and the comfort.

Last edited by mandheers : 23rd February 2012 at 14:01.
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:40   #146
Senior - BHPian

@Mandheer: So how much is the waiting time for the steering column?
Of late, I have also been experiencing lack of bite from my brakes, but my brake pads are about 30K KM old.
The other day, I almost touched an i20 in front of me. Thankfully my car stopped a few inches away - I was at very low speeds, but still it was scary.
But maybe, I am not pressing the pedal hard enough.

Do the older Cedia's (2006-2007) also come with disc brakes on all four wheels?
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:54   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Brakes are the same old, slightly better, but not at all like 4 discs.
Looks like you need to shove a stick of their back. Shout, fight, scream and do what ever you can to make them realise that you are pissed off. They seem to take you lightly because of your pleasant attitude. Say you wont take the delivery till the problems are sorted.

Quote:
They have done some ECU reset........These are just my observations.
Your car definitely needed ECU reset. Your current observations are the way the things should have always been.

Quote:
Thanks GC, I will ask CBlazer, but am sure they have done may changes internally to minimize costs. I got worked up seeing a Cedia post by Mitsubishi today on FB, and I wrote a line there.

There is no fun in the drive, apart from the air conditioning and the comfort.
You seriously need to send across a strong message. Be rude and aggressive next time you visit ASC. You have had enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Of late, I have also been experiencing lack of bite from my brakes, but my brake pads are about 30K KM old.
Get the brake discs and pads cleaned and also get the brake lines bleeded. You should do fine.

Quote:
Yes, cedia had discs on all 4 wheels from day one.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 23rd February 2012 at 14:57.
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:51   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@Mandheer: So how much is the waiting time for the steering column?
The other day, I almost touched an i20 in front of me. Thankfully my car stopped a few inches away - I was at very low speeds, but still it was scary.
But maybe, I am not pressing the pedal hard enough.

All Cedias have been standard with all 4 discs.

I have experiences similar to your i20 one, daily, and mine is a new car with just about 17k on the odo.

The service guys say everything is ship-shape, nothing wrong with brakes, but the silly vehicle doesn't inspire me when I have to brake in need.

The pedal just keeps going inwards as if its hollow, and then the same old release and press again antic of mine, makes it stop just short.

I was told 7-8 days, and they will call, hence waiting, will update.

Quote:
Looks like you need to shove a stick of their back. Shout, fight, scream and do what ever you can to make them realise that you are pissed off. They seem to take you lightly because of your pleasant attitude. Say you wont take the delivery till the problems are sorted.

Your car definitely needed ECU reset. Your current observations are the way the things should have always been.

You seriously need to send across a strong message. Be rude and aggressive next time you visit ASC. You have had enough.

Get the brake discs and pads cleaned and also get the brake lines bleeded. You should do fine.

Yes, cedia had discs on all 4 wheels from day one.
ECU reset definitely then, also coz the music system will only get reset if the battery etc has been removed etc. right?

I am surprised they did not do it earlier when I complained similar.

And I cannot get rude beyond a point GC, it is a machine and surely they should be able to fix it.

There are some 25 rattles and noises that now emanate from the dash and beyond, that is something I never liked in any of my cars. (do you think these noises could be due to the steering column?)

My 10 year old Tata Sierra used to drive quieter.

I have just about made up my mind to sell the Cedia in a year or so, just tired of complaining and ranting the same concerns again and again and again.

Makes me feel as if I am imagining things.

Just feel better about the new tune-up and waiting for the amber light, hoping the mileage is improved.

Hell, I even bumped into that K&N badged lady-driven Passat last night, but gave it a pass, and let her speed away, only coz I am on a strict driving plan for these 20 litres.

It is a great car, and was amazing when I had bought, but the noises, brakes and the loose feeling when going over bumps in city has put me off man. Not that I have been off-roading with it either, I drive my cars with a lot of affection.

There is no 'bandha' hua feeling anymore; as the mechanics say 'bandh ke chalti hai', 'pakad/chipak ke chalti hai'.

Not becoming of a 11 lac car, and although it has many pros in it's favour, the 2010-2011 Cedia is definitely tampered with further for cost rationalization.

Anways, I am a little too finicky as well, and if this is the state of affairs in the first year and 15k kms, I doubt my red johnnie will hold it's ground anywhere around the number you have clocked GC.

Still hoping they are able to sort things out.

Last edited by mandheers : 23rd February 2012 at 15:57.
Old 26th February 2012, 20:43   #149
BHPian

Ok, time for the average test results.

Went 180 kms to the dot on 20 litres, exactly light to light, with AC in regular traffic, couple of very bad bouts of jam, AC/engine off at long/longer signal halts respectively, and almost all below 2k RPM, 75% of the time with 3 adults on board.

I am pleasantly surprised must say, what do you guys think?

The light first came on for a few seconds at 169 but disappeared, then finally came on to stay at exactly 180 on the trip meter.

Meanwhile, I wrote a stern letter to Mr. Wada at HM, and he responded too.

Have told him I wish to return this car as it is just no pleasure driving it anymore, unless the road is perfect with gradient and all. One slight rough patch and the car gets unsettled.

He has said he will investigate and revert in a week.

The Aquest team called yesterday, the steering assembly has arrived and I have been assured all of the noises emanating are owing to this and will get sorted with the replacement.

So now the car goes again tomorrow, I guess I will actually get a total count of how many times my car has gone to the facility for various issues in the past year.
Old 27th February 2012, 09:32   #150
Senior - BHPian

Mandheer,
To answer your query on Steering column, mine got only the internals replaced (horn switch and SRS bag assembly). 180km/20l is a good equation, given what you were getting. Suggest don't lose hope. Its gonna be alright.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks