Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2011, 18:50   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Story of my Italian horse - Fiat Punto 90HP. EDIT: Sold!

Punto's ORVMs stick out like two elephant ears.

Two days back, an esteem knocked the right ORVM, inspite of my desperate honking, that guy dint care a damn. Luckily the ORVM folded backwards & nothing happened.

Yesterday, an indicab did the same. This time I was not so lucky though. It left two black marks. Today morning, scrubbed the ORVM with concentrated car shampoo & the scar was gone...

Phew! All this in just 1200 kms & within a month of ownership! Looks like I have to tone down my Scorpio style driving habits!
Old 27th February 2011, 19:45   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

It is very much normal when we have a vehicle atleast in Bangalore.
An Indicab had done the same thing for my Right ORVM and a santro for the left one.
Both had left the black marks and after rubbing, both are gone

The problem with the cab drivers is, they guage other cars' width without the mirrors. If you gauge the vehicle with the mirrors, we will see less of these incidents IMO.

Anyways I think you'll have to come to terms with the fact that you'll not get the same respect on the road with italian lady as with your Indian Bison.
Old 28th February 2011, 21:22   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Punto's ORVMs stick out like two elephant ears.

Two days back, an esteem knocked the right ORVM, inspite of my desperate honking, that guy dint care a damn. Luckily the ORVM folded backwards & nothing happened.

Yesterday, an indicab did the same. This time I was not so lucky though. It left two black marks. Today morning, scrubbed the ORVM with concentrated car shampoo & the scar was gone...

Phew! All this in just 1200 kms & within a month of ownership! Looks like I have to tone down my Scorpio style driving habits!

Well in which case I have dinasours in my garage !! All ORVM's stick out - don't they

Cheers
Old 28th February 2011, 21:55   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Well in which case I have dinasours in my garage !! All ORVM's stick out - don't they
What i meant was Punto's ORVMs stick out more than normal...
Old 1st March 2011, 21:37   #80
Senior - BHPian

Got an average of 14 kmpl in second tankful.

Please note - This is before the first service, in peak bumper to bumper traffic, with 100% AC & also some redlining!
Old 5th March 2011, 20:56   #81
Senior - BHPian

Some IDIOT scraped my car in the parking today, it has left an ugly black scar on the front bumper... My car is just 1500 kms old... :-(

Meanwhile, got hub centric rings fitted on the alloys & the steering wobble issue has been sorted.
Old 5th March 2011, 21:25   #82
Senior - BHPian

First the mirrors and now the bumper, all in the first 1.5K km of ownership.. well it feels worse when the car is new, but some things just have to be accepted.

Good to know the wobble issue is gone, so now you can enjoy her totally without anything bothering you.
Looks like the Scorpio's having lot of rest these days.!!
Old 5th March 2011, 21:37   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Some IDIOT scraped my car in the parking today, it has left an ugly black scar on the front bumper... My car is just 1500 kms old... :-(

Meanwhile, got hub centric rings fitted on the alloys & the steering wobble issue has been sorted.

Great Raj,
So it was indeed the alloys which was causing the wobble .
Ya i know it hurts when your baby get scratches ,if its really bad get it fixed , otherwise keep it like that only .I know it better than anyone else who got scratches or dent on their parked cars, check my thread you will come to know what i m taking about .
Post some pics of the same of the same .

Cheers
Old 6th March 2011, 08:38   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
First the mirrors and now the bumper, all in the first 1.5K km of ownership.. well it feels worse when the car is new, but some things just have to be accepted.
Luckily, the mirrors have no visible scratches. I was expecting this to happen someday as, in the lane where i park my car, cars are very tightly spaced, sometimes leaving just a few cms of space between each other. you normally have to do a lot of maneuvering to get in & finally get out of the parking... Thank GOD i fitted rear sensors!

Quote:
Good to know the wobble issue is gone, so now you can enjoy her totally without anything bothering you.
yes, the wobbling was at 100 kmph. Yesterday I took her till 120 kmph, no problems at all.

Quote:
Looks like the Scorpio's having lot of rest these days.!!
Yea, I am taking him out on a drive today. Now, when i sit in the scorpio, it suddenly feels like a truck! Heavy clutch, heavy steering & you feel as if you are sitting on a camel top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Great Raj,
So it was indeed the alloys which was causing the wobble .
Ya i know it hurts when your baby get scratches ,if its really bad get it fixed , otherwise keep it like that only .I know it better than anyone else who got scratches or dent on their parked cars, check my thread you will come to know what i m taking about .
Post some pics of the same of the same .

Cheers
Sure, I will post the pics of the scratches soon...
Old 9th March 2011, 16:52   #85
BHPian

Raj ,
Congarts
Sir on owning the BNW ride.
well since you last posted the wheel modd with the 7J rim
that you located and till now i am wanting to know
is this the worry for the wobbles ?

Till now i dont think anyone on this thread has asked you
which brand are these RIMS ? whats the RIM size ?

I am guessing these are EVO alloys perhaps
maybe be 69 ? i am looking forward for you to disclose that

I have the FIRE version on Punto and i think a Spigot Ring
is an external object which when subjected into the hubadapter
does negotiate the wobbles but its Definately not a FIAT FITMENT!
Such external fitments are known to develop hairline cracks on highspeeds as well.

Very honestly the 98 pcd studs on a 6J rim running 195.60 r15 tyre
alone can very well transcend car to exceed
170 mark & that the TOP i achieved so far - no worries what so eva!

Please check the wheel rotation once again , perhaps
it needs a front to back pattern and not the X pattern
the HPS steering is not meant for such wobbles and extermely
stable on very high speeds come what may!

If you are in doubt check with TASC , FIAT
the best in Mumbai would be FIAT's FORTUNE CENTER in
sakinaka

Drive safe bruv
TND

Last edited by torqueyTND : 9th March 2011 at 16:58. Reason: Additions
Old 20th March 2011, 12:55   #86
Senior - BHPian

My daily drive is ALWAYS peak time bumper to bumper traffic. My car has been giving a consistent 14 kmpl (trip computer shows 15 kmpl).

Yesterday I refueled the car & reset the tripmeter. Being a saturday, roads were fairly empty. The trip computer showed 22 kmpl! That just means, with light city traffic, the 90 hp can easily give atleast 18 kmpl.
Old 27th March 2011, 10:19   #87
Senior - BHPian

The plastic panel on the C pillar has come off loose & was rattling on rough roads. I thought it was due to the weight of the parcel tray i have fitted. Some googling revealed that many Puntos have this problem.

Took my car to the Tata-Fiat A.S.S. yesterday morning (Fortune, Powai). They willingly accepted it is Fiat's mistake & many Puntos have this panel coming loose. Fiat has rectified this by providing a new panel with stronger & more rigid bolts which will be replaced free of cost in my car.

The A.S.S. has ordered the panel for my car & hopefully they will change it during my first service, which is at 3000 kms. the odo shows 2600 kms now.
Old 13th April 2011, 20:37   #88
Senior - BHPian

First Service Done!

Gave my car for it's first service yesterday morning to Firat A.S.S. - Fortune motors, Powai. Other issues were-

1) LHS plastic panel on C pillar had come loose & was rattling
2) Scratch on front bumper which had to be fixed

Got a message within 3 hours that my car has been serviced... Impressive! Got a call from the SA that the other issues have been sorted out too & I can collect the car in the evening but due to my tight schedule, I could collect the car today afternoon only.

The front bumper has been painted well & there are no signs of any damage. A new panel has been fitted on the C pillar under warranty & there are no visible gaps as of now. A thorough drive is yet to be done to see whether there is any other noise.

That said, the A.S.S dint make an issue of the aftermarket ICE installation which includes wiring, boot LED lighting, heavier MDF parcel tray & all the other mods, which is good.

All in all, a good experience since I was expecting the worst from TATA-FIAT A.S.S.

Service cost = Rs. 80/- (labour)

Painting cost = Rs. 3242/-

Many told me that the performance would improve drastically after the first service. Nothing like that happened! Its still the same old "slow" punto!

Meanwhile, for these 2 days, I took my scorpio to work. Ohhhh... I missed my mHawk's brutal power & addictive surge of torque all these days! After driving the Punto for all these while, suddenly the scorpio feels blistering quick!

Now I understand why many say the scorpio handles like a boat! after driving sedans & well mannered hatches like the punto, the scorpio does feel unstable. It does roll quite a bit & cannot handle corners like the punto.

But boy, I still maintain that driving an SUV in the city is so much fun! nobody cuts before you & you get that "respect" from other road users. also, small ruts, potholes & rumble strips which shakes the punto are shrugged off by the scorpio as if they dint exist!

Of course, giving my pintu its credit - at high speeds, the punto feels much more calm, composed & relaxed. it's stability, handling & ride quality is unmatched. if only it had the performance to match.

And yes, OE punto tyres - GOODYEAR GT3 ARE THE CRAPPIEST TYRES IN THE WORLD! they are so damn noisy that at high speeds, all i hear is tyre roar. the engine itself purrs in comparison.
Old 13th April 2011, 21:18   #89
Senior - BHPian

Raj, it's not after the first service(it's merely a check up and wash job) but after 5k to 10k kms that the Punto's MJD really opens up. You would find a marked change in refinement, FE and performance.
Old 13th April 2011, 22:03   #90
BHPian

Happy to know that Pintu is doing well Raj. So finally you got time off your busy schedule to give the Punto a well deserved day off.
Good to know that Fiat changed the C pillar cover immediately, I hope you are satisfied now.

Looking forward to meet Pintu soon!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks