Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 08:04   #16
BHPian

Re: Leh in a Linea

I had just started sharing my story and I came across this. Absolutely brilliant. It takes a lot of courage to do those stretches on a sedan. Kudos to you and you deserve a pat on the back. Well done. Waiting to hear the rest of the story.
aviorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 08:55   #17
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Absolutely brilliant. It takes a lot of courage to do those stretches on a sedan.
Thanks a lot, aviorp, for the compliments.

Old 30th September 2011, 10:41   #18
BHPian

Wow .... Glued to this thread and dreaming of going the same next year .... Great going Ravi ...
vikrantj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 11:00   #19
BHPian

@Ravi: Awesome trip there to Leh and back. Congratulations. We need photos for sure. Waiting...
blackstallion76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 11:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Yeah. That's what I have been waiting for a long time.
I understand that you will be needing lots of rest.
But do try to finish the travelogue as soon as possible.

So who is going to do the honors with a Punto?
Anyone planning to take Punto to Leh?
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 11:09   #21
J.Ravi

Amritsar - in and around

Leh in a Linea-drivingstatisticsleh.jpg

On 13 September 2011 [Tuesday], we got up late, breakfasted in the room itself ordered through room service of Hotel Sapphire. Hotel Sapphire was located near Golden Temple and within walkable distance from Jallianwala Bagh. There was ample car parking space available at the hotel.

Later, we drove to Automobile Kapoor's India Pvt Ltd., Amritsar, for servicing of my Linea with prior appointment. I had already posted a detailed review here.
Leh in a Linea-dsc04588.jpg
The best part was, the SA refused to take any payment for the service rendered including complete check up of my Linea, cleaning of air filters, topping up of engine oil and other fluids, complete car wash with tyre polish, interior vacuum cleaning, etc.

At the time of checking in at the small of hours of the day, I parked my Linea at the hotel. But, during the busy day time, that area was very congested. So, after returning from Automobile Kapoor's, I parked my Linea at a multi-level car parking [MLCP] near Jallianwala Bagh. I was told that one time parking fee was Rs 30 and overnight parking fee, Rs 40! So, immediately, I opted for the later as my Linea was also in need of rest after driving for more than 2800 km. After parking my Linea at MLCP, we strolled in the main bazaar road. In the evening, we took a shared cab MS Omni to and fro Atari [Wagah] border costing Rs 110 per head for the entire to and fro trip.

Atari border wore a festive look. Bollywood popular hits including Oscar Award winner Jai Ho were blaring through the loud speakers with people in highest patriotic fever. Ladies were dancing. BSF staff was urging the crowd to shout patriotic slogans! But, the sun was scorching us. Here are some photographs clicked at Atari border.
Leh in a Linea-dsc04481.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04484.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04497.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04500.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04506.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04508.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04509.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04563.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04570.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04573.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04577.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04578.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04579.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04582.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04583.jpg
After returning from Atari border, we shopped dry fruits, nuts and spices, went back to our room dumped our shopping bags and we visited Golden Temple at 8:45 pm. Golden Temple [Sri Harmandir Sahib] is the only place of worship in the world which is open 24x7, IIRC. Kindly correct me if I am wrong. After worshiping there, we had our dinner at the Langar comprising roti, sabzi and kheer. We returned to our hotel and fell into deep slumber. Here are some photographs clicked within the Golden Temple:
Leh in a Linea-dsc04593.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04595.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04597.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04599.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04601.jpg
The next day morning, we got ready, checked out, came to MLCP, packed our luggage in my Linea and walked to Bade Bhai Ka Brothers' Dhaba located a stone's throw from MLCP for breakfast. We had stomach-filling Special Amritsari Kulcha [King size] with masala chai.
Leh in a Linea-dsc04608.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04609.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04610.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04612.jpg
Later, we walked to Jallianwala Bagh and spent some time there. Here are some photographs clicked:
Leh in a Linea-dsc04613.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04614.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04616.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc04617.jpg

More details and photographs are on the anvil.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 30th September 2011 at 11:13.
  (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 11:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Whats the deal with the Pakistani Trucks?
They decorate it as if there is no tomorrow.
Aerodynamics be damned.
download2live is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 11:29   #23
BHPian

Ravi Sir, hats off to you.

I have bought a Linea T-Jet and had gone through your Ownership thread like the bible as reference.

Your free spirit and sense of adventure coupled with an amazing love for your car is something I have seen in very FEW people.

Great to have someone like you on this forum and share your experiences. I am glued to your thread, can't wait for the rest of the travelogue.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 11:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Ravi Sir, your photographs are a real treat as always. The huge gathering at this (India) side of Wagah border, are those all tourists (or some local folks as well)? As you rightly pointed out this side looks so cheerful & lively, but the other side exactly opposite, so deserted & lifeless.

The Golden Temple is a realy beauty to watch, shining brightly in pitch darkness. If it is really open 24X7, then hats off to its caretakers. It makes real sense for tourists & pilgrims alike to visit such places, any time of the day. I remember, last year in my Gujarat-Rajasthan trip, when we landed in Udaipur, we were told that the City Palace has been rented out for a wedding for 3 days & totally cut-off for tourists like us. It was so disappointing as we had planned a stay in Udaipur just for 2 days & we had to miss on that beauty after coming so long.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 30th September 2011 at 11:33.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 11:46   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Nice one ravi sir. good to know Linea behaved excellently On the most in dangerous roads in india.
Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
So who is going to do the honors with a Punto?
Anyone planning to take Punto to Leh?
Punto has already conquered Leh . I know some body who traveled from down south and vice versa.

Quote:
Whats the deal with the Pakistani Trucks?
Aerodynamics be damned.
. for them it hold true. a bomb blast can happen anywhere,anytime in Pakistan.
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 12:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised why anyone wants to torture their cars driving on the so-called North-South Corridor between Lakandon & Gwalior via Sagar when its bad condition is so well-known and documented so many times in this forum. This sector has been this way for many decades and although the road widening work started way back in the year 2001-02, it remains incomplete. Whenever asked, I always advise everyone to shun this route and take the longer but better route via Bombay, Udaipur & Jaipur.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 12:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

@J Ravi: Thanks for sharing the marathon run of you and your Linea to Leh and back. It's commendable for you to have done the driving and photo chronicling too.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 13:25   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

The moment i read the title of the thread,i was like . Is it really possible???

But then i read your complete thread and i was in for more shock. You drove the whole the 7800km trip yourself!!!
I then learnt something-if you have faith(fatih in your car in this case) and determination,you can achieve anything or atleast be satisfied that you tried. Hats off to you

BTW,your narration was very good and informative,the pics were great. Looking forward to read about more of your adventures.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 13:57   #29
J.Ravi

Quote:
That's why, Pak trucks are photographed by many including myself!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
had gone through your Ownership thread like the bible as reference.
Thanks a lot, PGNarain, for the compliments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The huge gathering at this (India) side of Wagah border, are those all tourists (or some local folks as well)?
Most of them are tourists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Nice one ravi sir. good to know Linea behaved excellently On the most in dangerous roads in india.
Thank you, .sushilkumar, for kind words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Whenever asked, I always advise everyone to shun this route and take the longer but better route via Bombay, Udaipur & Jaipur.
Thanks, hvkumar. I got the impression that although 4-laning of the North-South Corridor was in progress, the roads were driveable. You too suggested so in May 2011 when these roads were slightly better prior to monsoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
J. Ravi, do try the NS Corridor. But for the bad state of the roads in Gwalior-Jhansi, the rest of the route is OK now without any bad roads (only construction work, debris and diversions).
Anyway, I took the final decision and I have unforgettable experience of driving the longest stretch of 1583 km [Nagpur to Amritsar] in the longest time span, thanks to the North-South Corridor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
It's commendable for you to have done the driving and photo chronicling too.
Thanks, Durango Dude, for nice words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
if you have faith(fatih in your car in this case) and determination,you can achieve anything.
Thank you, ashis, for nice words. I believe in the dictum: "If you look after your car, she will reciprocate".
  (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 14:07   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I believe in the dictum: "If you look after your car, she will reciprocate".
Well that is exactly what my signature states-
"A Man and his Machine should always share a Give-n-Take relationship."
I have a similar belief.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks