Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:07   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - 27th Dec 2007

It's N-day! I wake up all excited. I decide to prance around the house in the buff, for practice.
5 minutes later, I'm sneezing. Serves me right.

We leave shortly. It's still icy cold and we're driving through some interesting areas. 20kms from the house we cross a small log factory. I step out of the car.

Soon we're at the parking lot of Obernsee. I spot the humble Alto. Looks lovely in red against the snow.

We're here. It is lovely to look at. Right at the peak stands this big complex. I did not know it was this big. The glass top is partially covered with snow. The trees are white. It’s zen-like.

We enter. It appears very easy to understand, even though there isn’t a word of English spoken or read. There’s a water area and a sauna area. There is an all access for 3 hours. We choose that and pay up.

A little coin sized proximity chip is attached to our wrists. This is the door opener and the charge for all our food and drink. We pay the balance when we leave.

We enter the locker area. I am amazed at the efficiency of everything. It is indeed big and there are atleast 30 people in the changing areas itself. I see all kinds, young, old, kids.

We change. We are in our swimsuits. We have brought our own towels. Footwear not required.
Step out and I suck my breath in. It’s bloody huge. And it’s full of family crowd. Everyone’s in the swimwear, nobody is naked.
I see many different swimming pools, all kinds of shapes and sizes. Water content and temperatures are listed on the pool.

We enter a heated pool. The water is about 40 degs. It’s indoors but as you swim further, you come out into the open outdoors. It’s snowing and there are snow capped mountains around me. The ground outside is white with snow and I am swimming. The ground outside the pool is caked with snow. I keep dipping my head and face and as much of my body as possible into the warm water. It's an incredible experience.
I have never seen anything like it.

The next thing is for us to go to the steam bath. It feels truly wonderful to have the hot steam billowing all over my body. A refreshing change from the chilly breeze I have felt all these days.

Some time we sit up at the café. Eat something light.

Now to the other area. Show the turnstile our wrists and it's time to enter. A sign shows that this is now the clothes-free area. Here I notice that there are mostly young couples.

It’s naked time.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd February 2008 at 12:09.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:30   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

The Naked Yeti®

We take off all our clothes. I'm not looking around but from the corner of my eyes I realise there are other people taking their clothes off.

Instinctively I look around to see who's looking. Nobody is looking really.

We step into the door and I see an incredible sight. There's a huge bar with many bartenders (male and female). All the clientele is naked. Sitting on the bar stools, some with their towels covering their genitals, some just sitting on the towels.

People here are definitely younger. I relax in about 30 seconds. I guess it's gonna be OK.
There are many people here indeed. In the naked area I guess there are about 75. I am not nervous at all.
There are many many saunas. They are like little caves - explaining the method, the material of the cabin, coal, fire, etc. Benefits to skin to health etc and the temperature.

Of course we are in the open air. And we must carry towels. When you sit in the sauna, you must sit on your own towel. It looks so strange. It's snowing and bright day. People are walking around naked, holding their towels in their hands. They all look like naked Roman Emperors and Queens.

I enter an aromatic steambath. There is another couple inside. I use this moment to quietly reflect.

I've never seen so many attractive naked people in my life. But I find this neither strange, nor erotic in any way.
I gather courage and look at the couple across me. The woman is beautiful. Not a day over 30. I look at her body briefly and I realise I don't feel the need to stop my eyes at her breasts.
I look her straight in the eye. We smile briefly and I look away.

Later we step out. I see a man walk in holding hands with his 2 kids. A girl of about 5 and a boy of about 8. They're all naked too and smiling. He picks up the little girl and kisses her. Everyone smiles. Nothing is erotic. People are just naked that's it.
I turn questioningly to TheOne®. It's upto the parents, says she. That's why there's a sign and restricted access. Everyone is allowed, but for kids, the parents must decide if they're OK with them walking around with other nude people.

Look there's a Jacuzzi. But there are many naked people inside. I can't go inside, I'll be touching them. What is my foot hits a guy's thing or something. Yuck!!

More saunas and Ice. About 13 different saunas, at different levels. People get into hot hot saunas and then rub ice on themselves. Some jump into holes in the ice. That's like tempering steel. I can't do this.

She reads something and comes to me excitedly mentioning something honey and 4 pm something something. I just nod. It's surreal this whole experience. I am walking barefeet on snow, I am naked.
We enter a fire sauna for a little while.

Later, it's about to start, so we must leave. I just follow suit. We enter a sauna with a large basin full of coal. It's hot. We sit. Soon there are 10, 15, 20 30 people inside. The sauna is about 150 sq ft. 3 levels of wood to sit on. We are huddled together. There is an incredibly beautiful young girl sitting close to me on my right.

Somebody climbs up to my level and says something in German. He wants me to make room by shifting even closer to this naked blonde.

Our shoulders are now touching. I turn and smile apologetically to this young naked woman that I have never seen before and will never see again. She smiles back. I am slightly uncomfortable. She isn't, she doesn't care.

We wait.

I see 2 gorgeous girls, obviously friends, smiling and whispering to each other. Very attractive girls, not a shred of clothing on. But, I'm not excited at all.

I look at the whole scene from the outside. Life is so strange and unpredictable. Look at me, I am sitting, naked, with 30 naked European people in a hot wooden cabin, cooking myself.

It's getting very hot here.

A man enters - introduces himself and says something funny in German. Everyone laughs and sniggers. He's broken the ice. He's not naked, he looks like a hill ranger.
He opens up the window. It's too hot here, it seems he needs to cool it down a little. The air outside is numbingly cold. Icy cold breeze enters and we all shudder. He closes the window. Waits a while.
Puts something in the basin full of coal and turns up something. Holy crap!! My body is on FIRE!! I can hear people shudder and moan.
I'm estimating a good 90 to 95 degs inside. He waits.

He then pours some herbal stuff inside. OW!!! It's searing hot. He picks up a towel. I want to see what he is doing but my eyes are burning.
He holds up the towel like a matador and swings at everyone. Oh my sweet lord, I am burning.

Jesus Christ!
says I, a bit too loudly. Everyone bursts out laughing. Now everyone is free to swear and moan. 12 minutes later he says something and opens the door. We all step out and he hands out fresh honey. Honey?? O...K...

He is pouring it into our hands liberally. We are to apply this all over our body. It is cool and feels wonderful. I apply it on my body.
I take the rest and apply it on my face. aaaaahhhhhh

We're standing in the snow again. It feels amazing after that burning. That wasn't so bad.
But wait. The hill ranger says something and opens the door. Back in??!!
We go back in. He matadors us again.
Uh oh. This honey is melting and now has gotten into my eyes. Oh God I am dying. Forget these naked people and damn this stupid sauna.
5 minutes later he opens the door. I run out, tripping and falling over everyone. He's saying something. I don't care!
He runs out behind me, yelling in German. It's not good for you to come out quickly. You have to wait for a few minutes before you go to the snow.

My eyes are burning, my private parts are burning, I am dying. And I am made to sit quietly. I can see TheOne® shaking with laughter but not laughing.
OK?
I nod. I am embarrassed and in pain and as naked as the day I was born. I am not OK.

I opt for a warm shower. I cannot do this Ice business. 3 hours are over, but we're not leaving yet. We wear our swimsuits again and go back to the water area. Swim? says I, no WATERSLIDE!!!.
We pick up a two man float and go down the dungeon of watery horror. Again and again and again!
I think I am going to throw up.

Later, we sit at the cafe inside the spa (with swimming clothes on) and I'm back to practicing my German.

I want some mustard with my fries.
Well go and ask her.
ME??
You know you can do it Sam. Go and ask her.

Dammit!

entschuldigung! Haben Sie sehn bitte? Vielen Dank!!

I come back smiling. This German business isn't that bad!

Soon we're dressed and at the out door. We pay our dues and buy some ice cream from the Wurlitzer. I see those 2 girls again. NOW they look extremely attractive to me in those clothes.
I cannot believe that I just saw both of them completely naked an hour ago. I find them more attractive dressed up!

We leave, our skins aglow. We drive 40 kms to the nearest town and wind up at a nice nightclub/pub.
Nice speakers!!!

A few drinks and some mexican food and we need to drive almost a 100 kms back home.
I fall asleep in the car.

Tomorrow morning we will get up and leave the Ferienhaus and drive to Heilbronn.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd February 2008 at 13:42.
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:34   #78
Senior - BHPian

this is absolute torture all these pictures and the travelogue. Please stop for the day.

mods, please restrict sam's post to 1 picture post per day, he should not be allowed more than that in this thread, its like having multiple seizures.

I dont think I will get sleep today.
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:16   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
this is absolute torture all these pictures and the travelogue. Please stop for the day.
lol. ok I'll stop for today. Sorry.
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:31   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
lol. ok I'll stop for today. Sorry.

NO No no no please dont stop Sam, go on yaaa , i am am not working on saturday and sunday and no access to the comp... so finish the travelogues before 7 please please, dont want to wait till monday.
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:48   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
NO No no no please dont stop Sam, go on yaaa , i am am not working on saturday and sunday and no access to the comp... so finish the travelogues before 7 please please, dont want to wait till monday.
Come on man, sit and read. It's a labour of love. And in any case there is a LOT more to come. The holiday is far from over.
My guess is that I should finish by next wednesday or thursday.
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:55   #82
BHPian

SAMmmmmmmmmmmmm ok Il wait... but please dont stop now i keep refreshing the page every 2 minutes to check any new posts.
Infact my wife is also following this thread as a GUEST , she is after my life to take her for this trip from yesterday... looks like this year there will be one hope soooo....
And again Dont stop !!!!!! Or else ahahah
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:05   #83
Senior - BHPian

Good stuff man! European countryside looks super cool. Someday....
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:09   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
SAMmmmmmmmmmmmm ok Il wait... but please dont stop now i keep refreshing the page every 2 minutes to check any new posts.
Infact my wife is also following this thread as a GUEST , she is after my life to take her for this trip from yesterday... looks like this year there will be one hope soooo....
And again Dont stop !!!!!! Or else ahahah
Sohail, unfortunately your wife and you you will not see this side of Germany as a tourist. You cannot.

For many, I was the first Indian they had met.

To see Germany like this, you have to either be German, or travel with one. And be ready to eat potatoes with everything, lol.
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:13   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And be ready to eat potatoes with everything, lol.
that last statement bought back memories.
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:20   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Sohail, unfortunately your wife and you you will not see this side of Germany as a tourist. You cannot.

For many, I was the first Indian they had met.

To see Germany like this, you have to either be German, or travel with one. And be ready to eat potatoes with everything, lol.
are you talking about the Nudist side... Lols i dont wana see that anyways but the other places i definately want toooooooo, or else, will ask you to get me one german guide kidding
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:33   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Uh oh. This honey is melting and now has gotten into my eyes. Oh God I am dying. Forget these naked people and damn this stupid sauna.
5 minutes later he opens the door. I run out, tripping and falling over everyone. He's saying something. I don't care!
He runs out behind me, yelling in German. It's not good for you to come out quickly. You have to wait for a few minutes before you go to the snow.

My eyes are burning, my private parts are burning, I am dying. And I am made to sit quietly. I can see TheOne® shaking with laughter but not laughing.
OK? I nod. I am embarrassed and in pain and as naked as the day I was born. I am not OK.
Forum Gold. lol

Sorry couldn't resist. All those Germans in that Sauna with months/years of buildup of subcutaneous winter fat gotta have more resistance to temp extremes than brother Sam who is in for the first time (I guess) after just a few days stay in Germany. This might not be highly recommended experience for the short-term avg Indian tourist, however exciting it may otherwise sound.
Old 22nd February 2008, 19:59   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - 28th December 2007

We get up early. Clean up the house and the kitchen, I move all the luggage to the Corsa. I start the car, drive it up to the door and leave it on with the heater on. It is bloody cold today.

It's going to be an interesting day. We're going to one of the prettiest towns in Germany called Rothenburg-Ob-der-Tauber.
Soon we have said our goodbyes to Herr und Frau Forster, paid them and have started driving.
The navi has been programmed not to take any autobahns. So it's going to be long, winding and scenic, through various towns. Lovely. TheOne® loves to drive. I love to see the pampa. Perfect combination.

To tell you the truth, this has been my request. Over these few days I have found autobahns perfect and incredibly dull. They're just BLAAAAAAH. 5th gear, full throttle, BLAAAAAAH. There you are. You could put a rock on the pedal and do a tap dance and a healthy scratch and it would still be fine. How very boring.

A beautiful frozen lake

A pottery shop

And I found another bench/table

Soon we reach Rothenburg-Ob-der-Tauber. We park, get our maps out and start walking through this gorgeous old little town.

It's beautiful, old and kitschy. Lovely but quite touristy. I can see American and even Japanese tourists. Not that it's a bad place to go, it's just a sharp contrast to the non-tourist things we've been doing all these days.

The church with the blood altar

It's already getting dark. This is sad because we've only started walking an hour ago.

Old 22nd February 2008, 20:14   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TheOne® loves to drive.
She should be a member here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrinch®
You couldn't resist, could you?

BTW, what's a blood altar?
Old 22nd February 2008, 20:31   #90