Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2013, 20:47   #226
BHPian

re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravdc View Post
Trip was with 4 persons on board my M800, Father, Mother, Wife and Self (driving) with a boot full of luggage. Started from Kolkata (Dakshineshwar area) home at 9 AM. Stopped for 'fresh kachuri and aloo-dum' at 9:05 AM near Sabedabagan, till 9:30 AM.
I vaguely remember that this Sabedabagan is located on P. W. D. Road, somewhere between Dunlop Bridge and the approach to the new bridge, is not it? Where are these "Kachori and Aloo-dum" shops located? Do they allow parking in front of these shops, so that we may also appreciate it some day?
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 00:30   #227
BHPian

Ha ... ha ...
Just returned from there today evening ...

Well you are absolutely correct. As you drive from Dunlop Bridge intersection towards Dakshineshwar along PWD road, you have to travel 1 KM (maybe 800 mts) and reach the beginning of the flyover (this is one way flyover from Dakshineswar side towards Shyambazar side - flying over the Dunlop intersection). That is Sabedabagan.

The "kachori shop" (please do not visualize a series of shops) is actually a sweet shop that makes 'garam-garam" kachori in the morning. You can get dal-kachori, normal kachori, aloo dum, etc. apart from singara and a wide variety of sweets. The shop is called Annapurna Sweets.

To reach this shop, drive from Dunlop intersection to Sabedabagan (as you know). Sabedabagan is a 4 point crossing. Take right into the bye-lane. As you turn right, you have Ashokgarh fish & vegetable market (Ashokgarh bazar) on your left. You can now see an over-head rail cum road bridge a little ahead. Cross the entire length of the market, look to the right and you will find the shop. Landmark, there is a lane beside the shop that enters Ashokgarh.

Just park your car anywhere on the road in front of the shop. It is an internal road and no hassles as long as your parked car does not block vehicular traffic.
To say in Bengali: Gari-ta side kore park korun, kono chaap nei. Prochur jayega achhe. That's all.

You may also look up the area in Google maps before reaching there.

The shop is excellent, not only for kachoris, but for sweets, mishti doi, etc. I (actually my wife) have been a regular customer of this shop for all the years I stayed near Dunlop.

Hope you try it out sometime to satisfy your appetite.

Regards,
Saurav
sauravdc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 14:51   #228
Senior - BHPian

Shamindra da!
Many thanks for the quick tips! Few suggestions from you - which I thought to share with all-
1) Don't be bothered about Panagarh -usually a 30 mins jam - and I agree - all of us from Delhi have lived through far worse.
2) Pack food from home/hotel during the journey. Esp. because of limited food options at Bihar/Jharkand on AH1/NH2.
3) Fuel up at stations where one can see long distance trucks fuelling up -not the local traffic
4) Drive at 70/80 avg kmph
5) Keep a sharp lookout for tyre punctures . TPMS helps!
6) Fog may not be such a big issue in the morning 7 AM - usually is a problem after Jan 4/Jan 5th
7) Avoid driving through BR/JH between 9PM- 6AM

Again countless thanks to you for these invaluable tips.
Old 21st October 2013, 15:29   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Shamindra da!
Many thanks for the quick tips! Few suggestions from you - which I thought to share with all-
1) Don't be bothered about Panagarh -usually a 30 mins jam - and I agree - all of us from Delhi have lived through far worse.
2) Pack food from home/hotel during the journey. Esp. because of limited food options at Bihar/Jharkand on AH1/NH2.
3) Fuel up at stations where one can see long distance trucks fuelling up -not the local traffic
6) Fog may not be such a big issue in the morning 7 AM - usually is a problem after Jan 4/Jan 5th
7) Avoid driving through BR/JH between 9PM- 6AM

Again countless thanks to you for these invaluable tips.
Very helpful tips. But 1 question from my end, is driving from 9 pm to 6 am through BR/JH very risky that also through NH2? According to me things have bettered with time and myself have driven through these stretches multiple times at night and there are lots of traffic at that time. However it is always better to be on the safer side if you are not in a hurry !

Last edited by A.G.The Rambler : 21st October 2013 at 15:31.
Old 21st October 2013, 17:25   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G.The Rambler View Post
But 1 question from my end, is driving from 9 pm to 6 am through BR/JH very risky that also through NH2?
Places like, say, Barachatti, Bagodar, Dumri or Topchachi, are not exactly safe past midnight - no one stops moving vehicles any more with nails hammered into strips of wood, painted black and left on the road for your tyres to get punctured on - but if you do have to stop for a significant length of time (breakdown, puncture, whatever) at unearthly hours, you are a sitting target.

The next time you pass down this road past midnight, try this experiment: Stop on the side of the road, pretend you have a puncture, wave down a lorry and ask him to stop and help you change your tyre, since you have a bad back and cannot bend down. See exactly how many stop to help.

They'll stop and ask what happened, and will even give you a lift to the next town - but they will not stop for extended periods, such as to change your tyre for you, and will never EVER turn off their engines. Check for yourself.

So my advice to people planning to cover the BR-JH stretch of NH2 between 9 pm and 6 am is: Don't plan to stop. If you must stop, don't do it on a deserted stretch of highway, but at one of those dhabas where lots of lorries park for the night.

Quote:
That will depend on the type of vehicle and the fuel economy you plan to scrounge out of it. The advice related to your Innova, aiming for max FE!
Quote:
So does Slime.
Quote:
But don't hold me responsible if you have a foggy Christmas on the way to Allahabad!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 21st October 2013 at 17:35.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:36   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
So does Slime.
Shamindra da:
Based on our discussion , checked up on Slime with a local dealer at New Friends Colony (near Lions Kidney Hospital) - and looks like, it won't be useful in my case, as my tyres already have had a few punctures in them in the past.
It appears the product is best suited for new tyres only.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 19:17   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Places like, say, Barachatti, Bagodar, Dumri or Topchachi, are not exactly safe past midnight - no one stops moving vehicles any more with nails hammered into strips of wood, painted black and left on the road for your tyres to get punctured on - but if you do have to stop for a significant length of time (breakdown, puncture, whatever) at unearthly hours, you are a sitting target.

The next time you pass down this road past midnight, try this experiment: Stop on the side of the road, pretend you have a puncture, wave down a lorry and ask him to stop and help you change your tyre, since you have a bad back and cannot bend down. See exactly how many stop to help.

They'll stop and ask what happened, and will even give you a lift to the next town - but they will not stop for extended periods, such as to change your tyre for you, and will never EVER turn off their engines. Check for yourself.

So my advice to people planning to cover the BR-JH stretch of NH2 between 9 pm and 6 am is: Don't plan to stop. If you must stop, don't do it on a deserted stretch of highway, but at one of those dhabas where lots of lorries park for the night.
Dada, i am no way questioning your knowledge on this route. Definitely i agree earlier it was a no go on this stretch past darkness but with time situation has improved a bit of what i feel but definitely it is better to be on the safer side and avoid night travel if possible in this stretch. Barachatti, Bagodar, Topchachi are still a no go place after exiting from NH 2 after darkness. Once i was driving from Betla to Kolkata non stop. We took the Hazaribag - Bagodar - NH 2 route. Due to traffic we faced earlier in Ranchi and Ramgarh we got late and crossed the Hazaribag -Bagodar -NH 2 stretch in pitch darkness through the jungles and i tell you it was one of the most eerie drives i have done so far. The road was bad, no soul in vicinity and it was some tense moments before we landed on NH 2.

Last edited by A.G.The Rambler : 22nd October 2013 at 19:22.
A.G.The Rambler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 16:03   #233
Senior - BHPian

So the first part of the prep work done for this trip .... tyres!
1) New tyres all around - stock tyres - nothing fancy!
2) TPMS by Tyreprobe
3) Slime
Damage: Rs 31550/- after selling the old tyres for Rs 1200/-.
Old 26th October 2013, 18:32   #234
BHPian

On the 9th of this month I started from my home at north Calcutta at around 10 PM. Had my dinner on the way and was struck at a traffic jam at Panagarh. Crossed Barakar at three in the morning. Had no issues and reached Benaras by 12 O'clock.
Old 26th October 2013, 19:58   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So the first part of the prep work done for this trip .... tyres!
1) New tyres all around - stock tyres - nothing fancy!
2) TPMS by Tyreprobe
3) Slime
Damage: Rs 31550/- after selling the old tyres for Rs 1200/-.
Why have Slime if you installed TPMS? Anyway, that's a good investment for long drives, esp.overnight drives.
Old 26th October 2013, 20:43   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why have Slime if you installed TPMS?
Just a double insurance - not that I expect either to fail to do their job!
Quote:
Anyway, that's a good investment for long drives, esp.overnight drives.
Peace of mind!
Old 28th October 2013, 12:55   #237
BHPian

Did the Delhi - Kolkata- Delhi route during DP. Nothing much to complain about the roads. The following are some of my observations

1. After a super quick run of the Yamuna Expressway expect a slow down through Firozabad and onto Etawah. Roads open up after this.
2. Figured out a good place for lunch called Senger's on the highway. This should be approximately 32 km before Kanpur. Big place next to the highway. The place is called Senger's Entertainment or something. There is a UPTDC place just before this. Food is good. Place is clean. Toilets are well kept.
3. Be careful on the elevated Allahabad-Varanasi corridor. The roads though fantastic have a few dangerous broken culverts. Keep to the middle on this stretch and avoid getting past 100-110.
4. Using Shamindra da's suggestion stayed at Varansi UPTDC Rahi Tourist Bungalow. Book by phone and opt for the AC deluxe rooms. Recently refurbished and are excellent. Appx 2300/- per night including taxes.
5. Varanasi through to Asansol is excellent once past Mohania. You can do excellent times on this stretch.
6. Asansol- DGP isn't great. Look out for potholes.
7. DGP on to Kolkata is good. Panagarah was a breeze especially because the cops had blocked off all trucks for Durga Puja. Clean run to Kolkata. Entered via Nivedita Setu, Belghoria expressway and onto Rajarhat towards home.
8. Return journey - Panagarh clean. You can do excellent times till Sassaram.
9. Small stretch where 6 lane work is in progress. Roads degrade after Dehri on Sone. Not too bad though. You should make it to Varanasi in good time.
10. Varanasi - Delhi section. Same advice applies for the allahabad bypass stretch which I mentioned in point 3.
11. Rest of the run was clean.

Approximate driving during onward journey 20h 30 mins and while returning about 20 hours.
Baddychat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 13:25   #238
BANNED

Quote:
Why have Slime if you installed TPMS? Anyway, that's a good investment for long drives, esp.overnight drives.
A query. The other day I was chatting with my tyrewallah during routine alignment, balancing process. When I asked him about the anti-puncture sealant he said that he doesn't recommend it. According to him it causes vibrations in the vehicle once past 80-90. Wonder how true it is.

Though theoretically it does seems plausible. Any comments!
Old 28th October 2013, 13:28   #239
Mik
BHPian

I have a 4 day extended diwali weekend coming up and am thinking of giving my folks in Santiniketan a surprise if feasible.

Plan:
Friday evening - exit Delhi before friday jams in my Figo - Go beyond Agra till some place where I can catch 2/3 hours of sleep.
Start early on Saturday morning (Say 3 AM) and target to reach the Panagarh turn by 6.30PM (The ilambazar - santiniketan route passes through a forest which isn't safe after 8 PM)
Wifey will be giving me company - hates driving

Tuesday early morning - Cannon ball run from Asansol (4AM) to Gurgaon(12 AM)

Is the above plan doable?

My experience
20 hours + rides on the bike once in a while.
25 hours - Delhi to Pune run with one hour sleep.
I generally drive 10kmph faster than the similarly paced traffic (Upper cutoff is 110kmph with occasional bursts if the roads are too good)

Specific Queries
1. Any place to stop beyond Agra where I can get 3 hours of sleep.
2. The timelines - Its critical that I reach Panagarh by 6.30/7 PM.
Old 28th October 2013, 13:37   #240
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
1. Any place to stop beyond Agra where I can get 3 hours of sleep.
Gunjan Resort at Sirsaganj.
anandjha is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks