Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2014, 01:39   #301
BHPian

re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
How much time did it take you from NH-2 to Bodhgaya?
From a place named Dhobhi where I had to leave NH-2, it took me almost forty minutes. But I was frequently stopping and seeking directions. I guess that anyone with a GPS enabled car may make it much early. I had a GPS enabled smartphone in my possession but was not actually smart enough to use it.
Quote:
How was the road condition on this final stretch?
The first one or two KM was disgusting, with broken surfaces and frequent potholes. But after that the road suddenly improved radically. Smooth roads with great surfaces, no potholes anywhere. No idea why the administration does not improve the bad section.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 13:09   #302
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone, I am getting an opportunity to travel to Asansol on the week ending 13th April. There is an outside chance that I can convince everyone to travel by road. If I succeed it would be a 3300km round trip from Jalandhar to Asansol.

Before I propose the idea, I wanted to get a sense on the following from the member fraternity:

1) It is election time. What can be the ramifications? or better, are there any causes for concern?

2) From the various threads, I have gathered the roads are good throughout and no untoward incident has been reported, but still how safe is it to travel on these roads with all passengers being females?

3) We need to reach Asansol before or around Lunch. And I want to drive only during the day. Given the constraints,this is what I have planned:

Day 1: Jalandhar to Agra. ( Will start around 5am)

Day 2: Agra - Varanasi. (Start from Agra at 6am)

Day 3 : Varanasi - Asansol (Start from Varanasi at 6am or earlier)

Does this look good?
Old 20th March 2014, 14:51   #303
BHPian

The break up is just fine. Considering females are travelling day driving would be safe. Road conditions are good, try to maintain good average speeds, this would be a cool and smooth ride.
Election time has its pros and cons. The law governing bodies are on high alert during this phase, so highways should be clean unless people decide to block the highways on every incident.
Old 20th March 2014, 15:29   #304
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Day 2: Agra - Varanasi. (Start from Agra at 6am)

Day 3 : Varanasi - Asansol (Start from Varanasi at 6am or earlier)

Does this look good?
2nd day you can go further and stop at Sasaram/Dobhi/Gaya/Bodhgaya. Bodhgaya, the farthest one, would be be max 4 hrs drive.
Old 20th March 2014, 15:33   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How much time did it take you from NH-2 to Bodhgaya? How was the road condition on this final stretch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
The first one or two KM was disgusting, with broken surfaces and frequent potholes. But after that the road suddenly improved radically. Smooth roads with great surfaces, no potholes anywhere. No idea why the administration does not improve the bad section.
Dobhi to Bodh Gaya is about 24 Kms. The intersection point at NH2 has huge potholes. I traveled thrice to Bodh Gaya, most recently being last year. During my journey, the road condition was moderate. There were small potholes coming up here and there which would limit your average speed. Not a track on which you should worry, but surely not one on which you can maintain a cnostant 60KMPH. Occasional potholes will keep you checking.
However as Rahul da has suggested, the road might have improved in the recent past.

Just to sum up the distances for you,

Sasaram to Dobhi - Approx 110 Kms
Dobhi to Bodh Gaya - 24 Kms (left if approaching from Delhi side)
Dobhi to Barhi - 70Kms. (In case approaching from Kolkata Side)
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 00:28   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
1) It is election time. What can be the ramifications? or better, are there any causes for concern?

2) ...how safe is it to travel on these roads with all passengers being females?
You have not mentioned what car you would be driving. If it is an SUV like the Scorpio/Safari/Innova, be advised that you run the risk of your vehicle being requisitioned for election duty. Check the date of polling in the areas that you'd be passing through.

All my passengers have always been of the fairer sex (my wife, daughter, and sometimes my MIL; and earlier, my mother and even my grandmother) for trips on this road since the last 20 years (1993 onwards). Hope that reassures you.
Old 21st March 2014, 13:17   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You have not mentioned what car you would be driving. If it is an SUV like the Scorpio/Safari/Innova, be advised that you run the risk of your vehicle being requisitioned for election duty. Check the date of polling in the areas that you'd be passing through.
Is it true?
I don't think they would requisition an out-of-state private vehicle crossing through the state, even if it an SUV.
Old 21st March 2014, 13:30   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Is it true?
I don't think they would requisition an out-of-state private vehicle crossing through the state, even if it an SUV.
And what if the vehicle is from the same state but privately owned, like us regular customers? Are private owner's bound to give their vehicles for election duty?
Old 21st March 2014, 14:20   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
And what if the vehicle is from the same state but privately owned, like us regular customers? Are private owner's bound to give their vehicles for election duty?
Sorry Sir, I do not intend to start a debate on this subject.
My intention was only to get a confirmation/clarification on what SS-Traveller has said (highlighted in bold).
Old 21st March 2014, 14:55   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Sir, I do not intend to start a debate on this subject.
My intention was only to get a confirmation/clarification on what SS-Traveller has said (highlighted in bold).
Not for debate, it is a genuine question to which I sorted an answer for. I have seen vehicles getting seized by political parties during the election; just wanted to know if private vehicles are also targeted?
Old 21st March 2014, 15:29   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not for debate, it is a genuine question to which I sorted an answer for. I have seen vehicles getting seized by political parties during the election; just wanted to know if private vehicles are also targeted?
Chances are less/negligible. I haven't heard it is frequent phenomenon. I only read once which hvkumar penned once somewhere in this forum. Police tried to seize his vehicle for election duty.

Even, I am driving to North (JH) from Bangalore during peak election time. Hope everything goes well.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 15:48   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is again a new learning for me, I had heard of vehicles being requisitioned by the Govt. for election duty.

We never had any such experience in CG. Private vehicles registered in private names are spared by the Govt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Even, I am driving to North (JH) from Bangalore during peak election time. Hope everything goes well.
After what Saket is saying, you need to make sure such things are not a regular practice in Jharkhand.

Last edited by Sommos : 21st March 2014 at 15:51.
Old 21st March 2014, 16:07   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it true?
BR, JH and WB are notorious for requisitioning cars for election duty, private or not, out-of-state or not. Once your papers are taken away and a duty slip handed over to you, there's not much you can do to have your papers released, unless you know the Election Commissioner or the local District Magistrate personally. Not worth the risk and trouble IMO.

I was supposed to leave for Kolkata tomorrow evening, but decided to cancel the trip till the end of May.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 16:44   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BR, JH and WB are notorious for requisitioning cars for election duty, private or not, out-of-state or not.
Exactly. I have encountered that near the Howrah bridge, personally seen people 'requisitioning' vehicles.

I believe small cars, hatchbacks, sedans are probably spared. It is the SUVs that are targeted mainly. Doctor Saab can enlighten us if this is true.
Old 21st March 2014, 16:54   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is the SUVs that are targeted mainly. Doctor Saab can enlighten us if this is true.
@saket77: I have clarified that already.
Quote:
If it is an SUV like the Scorpio/Safari/Innova, be advised that you run the risk of your vehicle being requisitioned for election duty.
Hatchbacks and small sedans are not requisitioned. If you are driving a Q7 or Range Rover or similar, it would definitely not be touched either.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks