Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2014, 07:44   #346
BHPian

Hi everyone. Is there any information of the road section between kanpur to etawah? As I plot kolkata to delhi on google maps, that section comes up with a (-) negative sign, when pressed on gives a 'road closed' prompt. Is traffic moving slowly as before or they have shut down due to flyover construction?
Old 1st October 2014, 08:30   #347
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Hi everyone. Is there any information of the road section between kanpur to etawah? As I plot kolkata to delhi on google maps, that section comes up with a (-) negative sign, when pressed on gives a 'road closed' prompt. Is traffic moving slowly as before or they have shut down due to flyover construction?
1. Ignore g maps

2. Road is very much open, India is run from India, not form some IT company HQ in America

3. Road widening is going on, expect some diversions and rough roads

4. Ignore g maps

5. Ignore g maps
hvkumar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 09:20   #348
BHPian

Thanks Sir, loved your point number two. You have relieved me of quiet some tension. Regards.
Old 1st October 2014, 10:44   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any information of the road section between kanpur to etawah?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
1. Ignore g maps
2. Road is very much open, India is run from India, not form some IT company HQ in America
3. Road widening is going on, expect some diversions and rough roads
BHPian Sudipto-S-Team covered that section on 29 Sep on his way from Kolkata to Agra, and reports major traffic jams between Kanpur and Agra, especially through Firozabad and Agra city. Etawah ought to have similar traffic. But the road is certainly open, as HVK said.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 10:39   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone. Is there any information of the road section between kanpur to etawah? As I plot kolkata to delhi on Google maps, that section comes up with a (-) negative sign, when pressed on gives a 'road closed' prompt. Is traffic moving slowly as before or they have shut down due to flyover construction?
Hi,

On 21st Sept, Sunday, My Mom-Dad left Noida in a Swift with driver at 5:30 AM and reached Banaras Hotel at 5 PM. They took frequent short-breaks and also had a flat tyre, which they waited to get repaired.

They had crossed Kanpur by 12 PM. Due to early morning start they did not face any Jam in Firozabad town (around 8 AM) and Etawah-Kanpur stretch but it could be messy late evening. Just remember that there are worse roads & traffic conditions on other side such as Delhi- Jaipur but many people still do it. I did it on tuesday.

One good thing is that NH-2 is quite deserted (few trucks) after 9-10 PM and you may choose to cross Kanpur-Agra after 9 PM. Its safe.

Google probably gives the warning in the stretch, wherein road work is going on. Kanpur-Etawah is undergoing 6 laning but roads are still wide & 2+2 vehicle can cross each other even at places, where the divider has been taken off or near the village crossings (mini flyovers under-construction)

Last edited by Wanderers : 2nd October 2014 at 10:42.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:41   #351
BHPian

Thanks Wanderers for the information. Much appreciated.
Ok, the latest update. Travelled on 2-Oct--2014
1. Kolkata Durgapur section. Nothing much other than a few patch work done on the approach to Durgapur, rest of the roads are fine.
2. Durgapur to Varanasi. Only the approach to Varanasi is uneven due to the horrible quality of patch work.
3. Varanasi to Allahabad is operational in the sence traffic is open both ways. Smooth sailing.
4. Allahabad bypass to kanpur... smooth sailing too.
5. Kanpur to Ettawah. Well problems are partially solved here. Around 12 to 14 diversions. The first eight or nine has very wide diverted roads, gives a feeling as if one is traveling on the main road itself. Rest of the diversions, around six of them are narrow and will slow you down. Some flyovers are operational and the roads connecting the flyovers are super wide. Its the approach to Ettawah that slows one down with lots of speed breakers.
Total time taken from Kolkata to Delhi: started at 3am in the morning, reached Delhi at 11pm at night.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 3rd October 2014 at 09:46.
himadrimondal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:53   #352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Total time taken from Kolkata to Delhi: started at 3am in the morning, reached Delhi at 11pm at night.
How many breaks? And no pictures? In the Thar or the Duster?
Old 3rd October 2014, 10:04   #353
BANNED

Quote:
I was on it a month and a half ago. There is extensive six-laning work going on but the road is fine. Budget on about three hours, due to multiple diversions.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 10:32   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

How many breaks? And no pictures? In the Thar or the Duster?
I was travelling with my father inlaw, there had to be quiet a lot of breaks. Breakfast, lunch (in the car though) and nature calls. Photographs, well, could not ask him to do that on my behalf. I just managed one on the Yamuna express way.

Name:  ForumRunner_20141003_102711.png
Views: 1930
Size:  258.9 KB

It was Duster this time. Regards.
Old 4th October 2014, 13:21   #355
BANNED

Quote:
In my last trip in Feb. this year, Kanpur-Etawah section of the National Highway had almost all incomplete patches of culverts, punctuated with serpentine diversions. In wake of byzantine working of NHAI, do not expect much progress.
kapursaket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 01:30   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
But where are the green chillies?!

.... which is why I always carry some in me own pocket!
Like your idea. I will also start carrying some in my pocket from now on just in case.
Old 1st November 2014, 10:18   #357

I had done this stretch in last week of dec 2013 from Delhi to Kolkata to kharagpur to Bhubaneswar to vishakhapatnam. I returned from Visakhapatnam via Bhubaneswar keonjhar, ranchi, Kanpur to Delhi in January first week of 2014. Enjoyed this stretch. Now however, when I am planning this trip again in December am wondering whether to use GQ or go via Gwalior, Jhansi route to Vishakhapatnam. Advice from those who are familiar with these route options will be highly appreciated.
Old 1st November 2014, 11:02   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinathv7861 View Post
I had done this stretch in last week of dec 2013 from Delhi to Kolkata to kharagpur to Bhubaneswar to vishakhapatnam.
Did you make the Kolkata-Vishakhapatnam trip in one day? Or did you have a night halt somewhere? Am asking because I am planning to visit Vishakhapatnam later this year. I plan to be the only driver, being accompanied by my wife and daughter. Will it be too strenuous for me and the passengers as well?
In case I leave early (say at three in the morning), may not I reach Vizag by nine at the evening, with somewhat decent pace of driving and adequate breaks (for fuel, foods, etc.)?
Old 1st November 2014, 15:15   #359

it is possible. Kolkata to kharagpur is roughly 120 minutes. you are at kharagpur say by 5.00 am.
from kharagpur to bhadrak by 8.00 am., bhadrak to Bhubaneswar 12 noon. lunch plus relaxation at Bhubaneswar for two hours. leave Bhubaneswar at 2.00 p.m. You are at icchapuram border by 6.00 p.m. from icchapuram to vizag you can do it and reach by 10p.m.

The speed is assumed to be moderate and cruising.

please note at border near jaleswar, (west Bengal odisha) the guys top you for checking registration, puc and insurance papers. just a cursory check.

it is a good drive. but not too may options for tea once you leave kharagpur till bhadrak.
srinathv7861 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 16:24   #360
BHPian

Dear SS-Traveller,

Although I am new to Team BHP, I have been reading your articles with great interest for the past 6 years.

I am coming to India after some time now, and am planning to make my first road trip from Patna to Kolkata.

Are there any specific hotels on the way which we can use for breakfast/lunch , and washrooms, keeping in mind we have ladies in the party who are used to road trips only in the Gulf?

Thank you for any guidance
Kn1ght1941 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks