Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 15:41   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaushik View Post
If everything goes fine then I would be the first one on TBHP to post a one month honeymoon travelogue...
Oh!!! no, not again
Old 7th April 2010, 16:05   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Oh!!! no, not again
Ok then request accepted...
Old 13th August 2010, 20:11   #138
BHPian

Loved going through your writeup. It was just too good to be left unread.

Hope you visit the North East once more some day.

And has the agent become an officer by now!
Old 13th August 2010, 23:09   #139
Joy
BHPian

How come I missed this thread ......

Quote:
The airport actually was a airforce base from where the private players takes permission for landing and take off
The airport is called "Rowriah". Yes, indeed it is an airforce base.

Quote:
He asked me to look at the big illuminated MD’s in a narrow lane , I asked what’s so special about the place , he explained that this place is the best place to stay and eat in jorhat. I again had no reaction , because for his good and my good there was a disctance of 2500 kms.

The first floor was sweet shop , the second floor was restaurant , We entered restaurant area and It was really good more then my expectations , Initially we decided that my Agent will not take anything other then soup but then as she was feeling better we ordered alu jeera and curd for her , & she promised that she will also take one chapatti which is more then her normal diet.
First point, you told Abhijeet is from Kolkata. The first bold point told a different story. You mean to say that being a person from Kolkata, he does not know what is Good or Bad (of course, both are relative)? This kind of attitude piss me off, very sorry. What do you mean, you are travelling to one of the rarely visited places in India and you expect Star category luxury of Delhi. When you are travelling, the primary objective should be to see places in India. And whatever it is, please don't downgrade North-eastern states. It is a treasure house to be discovered.

By the way, the hotel you are talking, I think that is either Hotel Eastern or Hotel Paradise (can't recall).

Quote:
Abhijeet asked me to wait for some more time and again helped me lot in geeting a taxi , I need a taxi with good AC because I was already down of the humid weather. Then finally he managed to get a Indigo CS from Jorhat to Shillong in 4200 bucks.

It was a huge amount compared to the bus ride costing 300 rupees.
But the bus ride does not end in Shillong. It ends in Guwahati, where you have to take another normal bus for around Rs. 300 to Rs 350 (approx.).

Quote:
That streatch was NH 40 and was known to be the worst National Highways in terms of security and that too at night but I was totally intoxicated with the nature. My car was really chilled with ac on 2nd point.
Where did you get this info? Have you tried other places like Manipur, Mizoram, Chambal sector & many other sectors of India which I don't know? This is totally false.

I would like to request you, please don't put your conclusion as information into this forum, there are many peoples who would like to visit those lovely places. I would definitely encourage everybody to please do visit the North-eastern part of India.

All TBHPians, Please read HV Kumars North Eastern journeys to get a proper idea about North East.
Joy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2010, 23:59   #140
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Loved going through your writeup. It was just too good to be left unread.
How come you approved such kind of travelogue. Being an Indian, I resist this kind of travelogue where they make fun of amenities of North-east or any other place in India. We should be there whatever the hardships are there and take it in our stride.

Just go through HVK's travelogue where you can make the difference between Man and Boys? He never complained.

India is beautiful in whichever part you go. But be prepared for ground reality.
Old 14th August 2010, 01:52   #141
BHPian

I really loved your writing skills and your photos are awesome. But, can't agree with you the way you are projecting your views about NE India. I belongs to Jorhat, spend my golden days there. It hurts the way people view that part of India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
How come you approved such kind of travelogue. Being an Indian, I resist this kind of travelogue where they make fun of amenities of North-east or any other place in India. We should be there whatever the hardships are there and take it in our stride.

Just go through HVK's travelogue where you can make the difference between Man and Boys? He never complained.

India is beautiful in whichever part you go. But be prepared for ground reality.
Yes, I totally agree with you. We can't compare the amenities of a Metro with a small town like Jorhat. The climate of Assam don't ask for a AC or cooler, the max temp we get is 37 when is sours. I don't see the essence of a 5* in Jorhat. Talking about roads, one has consider about the rain fall it gets every year. Past 3 years experience in Gurgaon shown me how good roads in millennium city after a downpour.

I doubt how much your GF have idea about this town.

Jorhat is known for it's cultural heritage. There is Gymkhana in Jorhat, where every year Horse Race is being organised since British empire, also with integrated golf course. The only Tea Research Association in India is in Jorhat, there is a agriculture university, one RRL, a rice research centre.

How many knows about the 300+ years old ponds in Upper Assam, whose water level is higher than the ground level, these were sourced by confined aquifer and there is no seasonal water level drop.

Yes, "Rowraih" is the airport name. It is not a airbase where private players takes permission for take off and land off. There is daily flight from Jorhat to Kolkata, apart from what kaushik mentioned.

I can write more about it and finally it will end up in a debate. I will also say the same Joy, be prepared for ground reality, especially when planning to a not so renowned tourist destination.

Cheers!
hridayjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2010, 16:38   #142
Senior - BHPian

Cool down Joy, I hope his intention was not to downplay/demean Kolkata or Jorhat but just made in jest.
BTW, few corrections, that hotel/restaurant is called MD's only. It's inside one of the lanes(most probably Balibat) from Garh Ali. I went there this time when I went to Jorhat and it's good and they are doing a brisk business. It's a new place. Hotel Paradise is the one near Bus Stand. Not able to remember Hotel Eastern but I think that was the one at Garh Ali towards Lahoti.
Guwahati-Shillong Bus fare doesn't cost you 300 bucks. I think it should be south of 100Rs if I;m not wrong. Even the shared taxi's used to cost around 60Rs per head just 2-3 years back. And that road is bit dangerous to drive at night and I guess that's what OP meant. It's mostly due to the fog and those suicidal Sumo drivers, God, they do drive like mad.

Anyway, for a tourist, the roads in the North East is actually as safe as any other road in India for most parts. It's just that people have this fear induced due to the unfortunate terrorist activities and I guess media also have to be blamed partly for this paranoia. I've driven both night and day time and even in remote places and have never faced any problem. I remember what one of my uncle told me when I asked about how safe is it to drive through Nagaland(he is working there). And he said it;s pretty safe and no need to worry about the NSCN at all if you are a tourist. And according to him probably they'll even try to help if you are tourist. But again, I have no first hand experience of that so can't exactly confirm. But I know about my friends who have traveled extensively in those areas and had not had much problem.
Old 15th August 2010, 20:57   #143
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Cool down Joy, I hope his intention was not to downplay/demean Kolkata or Jorhat but just made in jest.
I also hope so. I feel bad when somebody ridicules one's own country.

Quote:
BTW, few corrections, that hotel/restaurant is called MD's only. It's inside one of the lanes(most probably Balibat) from Garh Ali. I went there this time when I went to Jorhat and it's good and they are doing a brisk business. It's a new place. Hotel Paradise is the one near Bus Stand. Not able to remember Hotel Eastern but I think that was the one at Garh Ali towards Lahoti.
Might be kaushik_s, I have stayed in Jorhat long back so do not know the new ones. At that time, only Paradise and Eastern was there. Yes, Hotel Eastern is on Garh Ali Road.

Quote:
Anyway, for a tourist, the roads in the North East is actually as safe as any other road in India for most parts. It's just that people have this fear induced due to the unfortunate terrorist activities and I guess media also have to be blamed partly for this paranoia. I've driven both night and day time and even in remote places and have never faced any problem. I remember what one of my uncle told me when I asked about how safe is it to drive through Nagaland(he is working there). And he said it;s pretty safe and no need to worry about the NSCN at all if you are a tourist. And according to him probably they'll even try to help if you are tourist. But again, I have no first hand experience of that so can't exactly confirm. But I know about my friends who have traveled extensively in those areas and had not had much problem.
+1 to that. In fact, we used to prefer travelling from Guwahati - Jorhat or vice versa during night time only.
Old 22nd January 2012, 01:06   #144
BHPian

Re: Another freaking trip this time....I Travelled North East to meet my GF

[quote=akaushik;1785561]

We entered restaurant area and It was really good more then my expectations e :Which hotel is this? Recently been transferred to this place,and looking for such nice joints.
Old 13th May 2014, 17:50   #145
BHPian

Agree with some of the comments. Being born and brought up in Manipur, where automatic guns, police brutality, bombings, frisking and general fear is a common thing, I think travelling to the North East should be a well planned event. There are few few modern city amenities, especially if you are travelling to Manipur - hotels are basic, restaurants are like dhabhas. But then the reason why we need to preserver NE India in its form is because we do not want to create just another "modern city" These should be allowed to be rustic, on the ground places rather than some lofty "hill resort", many of which we have already spoilt - like ooty.
Like all travel for leisure, travel to NE should be to appreciate the difference, not point out the obvious glaring differences.

Just realised I am posting this after almost 2 years!!

Last edited by gtonsing : 13th May 2014 at 17:50. Reason: update
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 09:28   #146
BHPian

Kaushik....what turn did life take after 2010?? this travelogue was like a movie, very well written!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks