Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 20:19   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Manipal

It rained all day - and it rained all night before that. Agreed that everywhere you looked, it was all green. But the kids were getting a little green themselves, and we had to do something about it.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-1.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-2.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-3.jpg

And I had a small appointment with the M&M dealer at Udupi, thanks go to Samurai for guiding me there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
One small damage during the pan-India trip. Trying to park in a tight spot, the plastic ALH cover (the extended hub cap covering the front ALH) touched a high kerb and broke, fortunately without any apparent damage to the hub itself.
Attachment 366745
This was at Manipal, and M&M dealer Karnataka Agencies at Udupi were kind enough to supply a new one for 287 INR, as well as fit it for free.
Attachment 366746
90 kg-m of torque to tighten the wheel nuts as Spike recommended somewhere earlier - I made sure of that. Notice the steel pipe to slide over the wheel wrench, for added leverage.
WARNING: That pipe resides in the car.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dsc00656k100.jpg

The nearest place to head to was Malpe beach, and we landed up here.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-4.jpg

Settled in away from the rain, looking out to sea, and ready to order lunch.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-6.jpg

But what do folks in Udupi do to keep themselves entertained in non-stop pouring rain? Well, they go to the beach, get soaked to the bone, and enjoy a session of tug-of-war, that's what they do!
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-5.jpg

Me, I'd rather have Pomfret Ghee Roast (to make up for the Chicken Ghee roast we missed at Kundapura). Delicious!!!
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-7.jpg

3 hours of lunching (and serious adda) later, we were all happy - though the rain hadn't let up in all this time. A drive along the shore road... Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-8.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-9.jpg

...and back home for a well-earned siesta...

We decided to skip Kaup (or is it Kapu?) beach, being told that there are no similar places to shelter from the rain there. Next year, maybe?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 30th June 2010 at 20:21.
Old 30th June 2010, 20:48   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But what do folks in Udupi do to keep themselves entertained in non-stop pouring rain? Well, they go to the beach, get soaked to the bone, and enjoy a session of tug-of-war, that's what they do!
They are fishermen, they are called Marakala.

Same scene: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/313556-post14.html
Old 30th June 2010, 20:55   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Driving to Agumbe

Highly recommended by all, we trooped off to discover the charms of Agumbe the next morning. We didn't mind the rain, but you would, dear reader, since the number of photographs is limited.

How did you like the 14 hairpin bends while climbing to Agumbe? Came a friend's message. Scenic, perhaps, but there was too much fog for us to enjoy the scenery. There was this 3-wheeler trundling up the slopes, and there I was sitting behind him in a 120 bhp 4-wheel-drive two-tonner, feeling grossly overequipped (like carrying mountaineering gear to take the steps up to the first floor), waiting for him to let me pass comfortably. The contrast was such that even the thought of honking at him was disgusting...

Anyway, here's what the hairpins look like on GPS.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-11.jpg

More green on the way - all symmetric too.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-12.jpg

Viewpoint in the rain? That's for the monkeys...
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-13.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-14.jpg

Stopped for some great coffee.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-15.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-16.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-17.jpg

A walk in the rain? Not for us, thank you.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-18.jpg

Now where to go from Agumbe?
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-19.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-20.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-21.jpg
Old 30th June 2010, 21:07   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Beautiful. Plans are brewing up for an August visit to Udupi in my car now
Oh good. Hope you have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They are fishermen, they are called Marakala.

Same scene: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/313556-post14.html
Yes, but it wasn't raining, and they were doing something constructive - pulling in the net. Here they were actually playing at tug-of-war in rain!!! A couple more bad pics...

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dsc00667k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dsc00660k100.jpg
Old 30th June 2010, 21:19   #110
Senior - BHPian

Ah! Paradise isle - I miss the "Kaane" fry.
The Ghee roast looks delicious
Old 30th June 2010, 21:21   #111
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Paradise Isle is a fantastic property. Their restaurants is also very good. We had stayed in this property for a week. RCI holidays.

Did you stay at Udupi ?
Old 30th June 2010, 21:38   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Ah! Paradise isle - I miss the "Kaane" fry.
Kaane fry translates for the Bong palate to topshey maachh bhaja. Entirely familiar with that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Did you stay at Udupi ?
Between Udupi and Manipal, at a place called Indrani Temple Road.
Old 30th June 2010, 23:11   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

End-Point & Krishna Math

Back from Agumbe, there's more to be done. A visit to Manipal End-Point for example.

Well, the mud and slush has been the Hawk-on-fours' constant companion all the trip, and a little more won't hurt.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal.jpg

What do we click pics of, in the rain?
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-1.jpg

...of the Hawk pretending to be a helicopter?
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-2.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-3.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-4.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-5.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-6.jpg

...of each other?
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-7.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-8.jpg

...of the everpresent greenery?
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-9.jpg

Wait, we found something brown to click.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-10.jpg

Some more delicious browns!
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-12.jpg

Can be found here!
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-11.jpg

A trip to Krishna Math...
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-13.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-16.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-17.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-14.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-15.jpg

...and a look from the outside, at the school B-I-L's daughters attend.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-manipal-18.jpg
Old 1st July 2010, 00:33   #114
BHPian

loved the greens - fresh after bath.
Old 1st July 2010, 06:56   #115
Senior - BHPian

Have they made a helipad at the Manipal end point? Last time i went to Manipal they had put barriers and we were not allowed to go till there.
Old 1st July 2010, 08:35   #116
Team-BHP Support

Only vehicles can't go, you can walk in otherwise.
Old 1st July 2010, 09:53   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
90 kg-m of torque to tighten the wheel nuts as Spike recommended somewhere earlier - I made sure of that. Notice the steel pipe to slide over the wheel wrench, for added leverage.
SS, nice writeup. Good to see someone following a healthy practice for wheel tightening/torquing. I hope the tightening sequence was in star pattern as recommended.

Spike
Old 1st July 2010, 09:54   #118
Senior - BHPian

Nice Pictures SST, reminds me of my trip to Udupi last year. We didnt malpe beach and other areas around, infact I was not fully aware about the area and where all to go!!
We were there to see my niece for the first time, that was the top of the excitements and we never thoguht of doing anything. Krishna math was really nice, I believe I'm an agnostic guy, enjoys only godliness and not the god but I really enjoyed the prasad (for me it was full meal) at Krishna math, one full hour or pulling that wooden structure (I dont know what we call it) around the compound and few more activities. It was real fun!

Hope to see more pictures of HOF and place you visited.
Thanks.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:14   #119
MX6
Senior - BHPian

End point is not like before. It's an eyesore now sadly.
Old 1st July 2010, 11:34   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
SS, nice writeup. Good to see someone following a healthy practice for wheel tightening/torquing. I hope the tightening sequence was in star pattern as recommended.

Spike
Thanks, Spike.

Star pattern absolutely! I always check the nuts finally myself before the car starts rolling. Must complain about the quality of the OE wheel wrench supplied, though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks