Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2011, 19:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

Superb! I saw these pictures on one Gurudutt's album on FB. Now I know that Mr. Gurudutt = GD1418

Lovely pictures. It must be satisfying indeed to actually spot the Tigress on your first visit!
Old 31st January 2011, 22:21   #17
BHPian

re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

Speechless!! Amazing pics.
Thanks for sharing. Waiting for more.
Regards
Old 1st February 2011, 06:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

GD,
A refreshingly different wildlife travelogue, nice and interesting write up laced with humor in pictures and words.

This is the first, full fledged Sariska travelogue I have come across and through your lens we see the beauty of this forest, and can only envision...that it once was the abode of the free roaming tigers that were lost in recent times.

Your lens is very good magnificent clarity, saturation and the Extra Dispersion shows. The first, crocodile shot, the sambar and the tiger close up have come out really good.

The Langur's face going out of focus is not because of the camera shake but your camera focused on its rear right flank, which is crystal clear.

No idea how I missed this beautiful thread until now, thanks for sharing and hope to see more.
Regards,
Old 1st February 2011, 08:55   #19
BHPian

wow, that Tiger's look.
I am out of words just looking at the Tiger's gaze!!!
You should may be just make it your Wallpaper, not many guyz get to shoot something like that!!
Old 1st February 2011, 10:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks rj. The new bazooka is amazing. Wish, I had the moolah to buy its AF-S version.

The driver of my Gypsy - Jagdish Meena with 19 years of driving & tracking experience in Sariska was simply amazing. He parked the vehicle close to the edge of the parapet above the waterhole that was about 10-12 feet below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
gd that new bazooka has some amazing DOF in those Langurs & Rhesus shots. Happened to see the shot of the tigress quenching its thirst on FB today. Great going and am glued to your thread.

That was really close.How did you manage to get that close to the tigress ?
Thanks Deky. Yes, the wish is fulfilled. I am planning to go again on 20th Feb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Glad the quest is fullfilled and that too twice!!

Amazing tiger/ess photos GD Sir, I guess this new lens is lucky for you. I loved all the pics but the last one at the watering hole is really special.

Waiting for the next episode. And if you going again next Sunday again, do let me know.

Regards
Thanks Nikhil & LOL..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Superb! I saw these pictures on one Gurudutt's album on FB. Now I know that Mr. Gurudutt = GD1418

Lovely pictures. It must be satisfying indeed to actually spot the Tigress on your first visit!
Thanks. Sorting & cropping of the photographs of the 30th visit is underway. Coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post
Speechless!! Amazing pics.
Thanks for sharing. Waiting for more.
Regards
Thank you Fazalbhai. Am glad that you liked. This is my 4th visit to Sariska. The first was in the 90s when it was rumoured to have 28 tigers. Didn't see any but had a harrowing experience that shall be recounted later sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
GD,
A refreshingly different wildlife travelogue, nice and interesting write up laced with humor in pictures and words.

This is the first, full fledged Sariska travelogue I have come across and through your lens we see the beauty of this forest, and can only envision...that it once was the abode of the free roaming tigers that were lost in recent times.

Your lens is very good magnificent clarity, saturation and the Extra Dispersion shows. The first, crocodile shot, the sambar and the tiger close up have come out really good.

The Langur's face going out of focus is not because of the camera shake but your camera focused on its rear right flank, which is crystal clear.

No idea how I missed this beautiful thread until now, thanks for sharing and hope to see more.
Regards,
Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post
wow, that Tiger's look.
I am out of words just looking at the Tiger's gaze!!!
You should may be just make it your Wallpaper, not many guyz get to shoot something like that!!
Old 1st February 2011, 13:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

First time I heard of not one drive - but two - just to test a news lens of a camera, laudable indeed!
Great shots, Guru! Your patience and perseverance were truly rewarded with these magnificent shots!

Is the Sohna-Alwar route really that bad? I thought that would have been the shorter route to reach Sariska? How was traffic flow on NH8 till Shahpura?
Old 1st February 2011, 15:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Lol..The first one was indeed to test the new lens and the second one was the irresistable pull of Stripes. But for a wedding, I would have landed up on 6th as well..!! Till the first sighting, I was fighting a lone battle to go to sanctuaries with wife being on the forefront leading the opposition. Now she has switched sides.

Thanks for liking the pictures. The Sohna - ALwar route is not that bad; expansion and carpeting work going on in full swing. The fact that this road passes through the notorious Mewat region deters me from taking this on my return.

While on the first trip I had to face jams at Behror & Kotputli while going and worse traffic returning, the second trip was a breeze bothways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
First time I heard of not one drive - but two - just to test a news lens of a camera, laudable indeed!
Great shots, Guru! Your patience and perseverance were truly rewarded with these magnificent shots!

Is the Sohna-Alwar route really that bad? I thought that would have been the shorter route to reach Sariska? How was traffic flow on NH8 till Shahpura?
Old 1st February 2011, 16:05   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

A "darshan" from tigress is a blessing of sorts. Have not visited sariska for some time now but earlier even after so many visits a Tiger was blank at Sariska. Corbett rewarded us many times but not Sariska.

Lovely pictures. Especially the last - dare to come closer?

Would not the Daruhera-Alwar-Sariska axis be better?
Old 1st February 2011, 16:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sudev. Ironically, the place least expected gave extraordinary sightings on my two visits in succession. I drew a blank at Dudhwa (2 full day safaris), Rajaji (4 times), Corbett (two full-day safaris at Brijrani) & Ranthambhore (6 back-to-back safaris).

I suggest you to visit Sariska this sunday and experience...

What are the road conditions on the Daruhera-Alwar-Sariska axis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
A "darshan" from tigress is a blessing of sorts. Have not visited sariska for some time now but earlier even after so many visits a Tiger was blank at Sariska. Corbett rewarded us many times but not Sariska.

Lovely pictures. Especially the last - dare to come closer?

Would not the Daruhera-Alwar-Sariska axis be better?
Old 1st February 2011, 17:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Quest fulfilled - Thirst quenched for the time being

Sunday - January 30, 2011

Mahatma Gandhi's martyrdom day. We have so many 'Days'...phew..! The excitement of having seen the Cat in Jungle had not died down and I had told Hari Singh that I would return the next Sunday. I brought up this subject with wife on the morning of Saturday and could immediately see the glint in her eyes.

I shall borrow a line of my friend and quote - "Main to ghar ke andar bhi sher hoon, par wahan mere upar Durga Ma sawar hoti hai"!

She readily agreed and I left for work elated. In the evening on my way back tanked up the Scorpio, called Hari Singh to keep free for me and asked the sighting status ("Sir, ST-4 pichale 6 din se ST-2 ke saath hai aur usi area mein dono ghoom rahein hain") reached home and put the camera battery on charge, cleaned the lenses and went off to sleep. Hari Singh had asked me to reach by 11:30 so that we could take the double safari from 12 pm which would enable us to remain till 6 pm. He said this might enable us to see the leopard too that would come out at dusk.

What all does excitement do; I forgot to set the alarm.. Got up with a start and the clock showed 4:45 am. Cursing myself woke up wife and started to get ready. Had three worries - 1. Shall encounter heavy truck traffic enroute 2. Might reach later than 12 and 3. It rained in the night and there was slight fog. I was worried about the weather conditions at Sariska. Fortunately moved out of the building at 6:10 (for the first time wife was ready on time) and as I crossed Paras Hospital, misfortune struck - The righ wheel hit a pothole and Scorpio stalled & all lights went on a blink. Instead of flying off the handle, took a couple of deep breathes, took out the torch and peered under the hood. My first suspicion was a loose battery contact as the remotes were not working at all. Tapped on the terminals, shook a few wires and pressed the remote button and voila the familiar lights and sound came on. Turned the key, ignition lights went on and at half turn the engine fired. Let out the held breath prayed to God and moved. Lost further 20 minutes.

True to apprehension, met with heavy truck movement on NH8 and it remained so till Shahjahanpur. Fortunately, did not experience any jam unlike the previous Sunday at Behror & Kotputli. Around 10:30 stopped for Tea/Coffe & B'fast at Highway King, 8 kms before Shahpura and by 11:15 was crossing Viratnagar on the Shahpura - Alwar SH. Reached the STR (Sariska Tiger Reserve) office at 11:30 and Hari Singh arrived by 11:50. He got the entry permits etc., and my driver for this safari was Jagdish Meena with 19 years experience in the Sariska jungle. I was to realise his expertise at wheels and driving in the jungle during the course of the Safari.

While waiting for Harisingh to get the tickets I spotted 12 of these beautiful machines parked in a line.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3565.jpg

Jagdish & Hari Singh

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3801.jpg

Entered the jungle and Jagdish was driving slowly and then we eneterd the first trail. Suddenly Jagdish stopped the car and killed the engine and whispered - look at right. Jackal..!! Well, the shy nocturnal Himalayan Jackal was munching on a cluster of bones. The sound of crunching of bones was quite loud. Attracted by that sound from nowhere a female boar appeared and headed straight towards the Jackal. She with a low grunt aggressively advanced and the Jackal moved away. He was then joined by another Jackal and both tried to shoo away the boar. But she proved to be tough & strong and this time with a loud grunt chased them away.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3571b.jpg

Shooed away

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3567.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3576.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3574.jpg

Tail between the legs

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3572.jpg

Lost food

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3569.jpg

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 1st February 2011 at 17:32.
Old 1st February 2011, 17:50   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Glued in sir. Hope your did not have to come back "tail between the legs"!!
;-)
Old 1st February 2011, 17:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Moved further in towards the lake where last Sunday I had found the crocs sunbathing. The idea was to catch some migratory birds if any. Saw a Painted Stork, Black Stork Ciconia Nigra and some Bar headed Geese.

Painted Stork & Black Stork

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3578.jpg

Black Stork Ciconia Nigra

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3581.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3581a.jpg

Painted Stork

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3582.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3582b.jpg

Left - Right, Left - Right

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3584.jpg

Bar Headed Geese

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3585.jpg

Yellow-billed Tern

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3590.jpg

While coming out from that place saw a Jungle male cat - a very rare sighting. It immediately moved into a thicket and sat down. It totally merged with its surroundings and except for its ear movemnets, the body was still. The photgraph may not do justice.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3591.jpg

Further down we went ot the same water hole where last Sunday I saw that magnificient Blue Bull. It was still there and so was this Crested Serpent Eagle. Sitting on the same branch and in the same pose, the way I had seen last.

So, you are back again?

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3594.jpg

to be continued.../-

Last edited by .anshuman : 16th February 2011 at 16:51. Reason: Unidentified = Yellow-billed Tern. Updated on request.
Old 1st February 2011, 17:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

No Sudev, the tail was up and taut..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Glued in sir. Hope your did not have to come back "tail between the legs"!!
;-)
Old 1st February 2011, 18:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Guruji,

Great picturs of the Painted Stork & Black Stork, loved it. Your new lens seem to be in full action. Any more?

--Ramky
====
Old 1st February 2011, 18:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. A lot more.. Abhi to picture baaki hai mere dost..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Guruji,

Great picturs of the Painted Stork & Black Stork, loved it. Your new lens seem to be in full action. Any more?

--Ramky
====
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks