Team-BHP > Travelogues

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2011, 13:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

After the Corbett trip - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ted-quest.html this travelogue although is being written timely, it should have been preceded by the Ranthambhore travelogue where I had gone during October 2010. I shall be writing the Ranthambhore travelogue in due course but this Sariska travelogue is to be written as I'm too excited to wait.

This trip was necessiated by me acquiring this new toy - the AF Zoom-NIKKOR 80-200mm f/2.8D ED. I wanted to do a field test of this lens.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-80200.jpg

A few locations were identified - Damdama Lake, Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary & Sariska Tiger reserve.

For some time I had been hearing about sporadic sightings of the relocated cats in Sariska. Out of the 5 relocated Stripes - ST-1 (male), ST-2, ST-3, ST-4 (male) & ST-5, only 4 were left after ST-1 was poisoned by the Vangujjars for killing their buffalo. Sighting one out of the 4 cats in an area of 800+ Sq. Kms., was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I decided on Sariska with the least hope of a sighting. The idea was to test the lens under different light conditions and on various flora & fauna.

Date: 23rd Jan, 2011

Since my both kids declined to accompany us groaning - "What? Again a sanctuary? No way, we haven't seen a cat let alone a tiger in all the sanctuaries that we've gone. We are not coming", wife & I got up around 4 am and by 5:30 we were headed to Sariska. Took the NH8 and after a brief stopover for tea & breakfast just before Shahpura, turned left towards Sariska. After the 6 lane NH 8, it was a single lane SH to Sariska. The road was good only in patches and was broken and full of potholes. Reached the Park's office at 9:45. The park opens at 7 am and the last entry allowed is at 3:30 pm. I had decided to take the forest open gypsy since private cars were not allowed on the inner trails. Paid for the entry fees, engaged a guide & a gypsy and was ready to roll. Gypsies do a single trip of 3 hours. I opted for the double trip as that would have given me 6 hours inside the jungle.

The breakdown:

Vehicle entry charges: Rs.250/-
Entry per person @ Rs. 60/-: Rs.120/- (for two of us)
Parking for my Scorpio: Rs.20/-
Gypsy charges with guide: Rs.2300/- (double trip)
Scorpio diesel full tank: Rs.1600/-
----------------------------------
Total round trip cost: Rs.4540/- (including Rs.250 for tea & B'fast)
----------------------------------

The camera gear for the day:

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1506.jpg

BTW, my wife & I shall be going to Sariska again tomorrow - Sunday the 30th Jan, 2011.

to be continued....../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 29th January 2011 at 13:32.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2011, 13:41   #2
v&v
Senior - BHPian

re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

GD bhai,
Any luck with the cat sighting. Also i heard the club mahindra has started tents at sariska, Can you update on the same.
How is the road condition - last 2 kms was horrible. had a tough time with my VRs.

Waiting for more snaps
Old 29th January 2011, 17:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

Have patience Vinod. I did not hear anything about tents from Club Mahindra. But will check tommorrow when I go again.

The road is as bad as it can get. What is VRs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
GD bhai,
Any luck with the cat sighting. Also i heard the club mahindra has started tents at sariska, Can you update on the same. How is the road condition - last 2 kms was horrible. had a tough time with my VRs.

Waiting for more snaps

Amongst the wildlife sanctuaries that I've visited, Sariska & Dudhwa are the two that have two State highways and a railway line running through it respectively, thus causing immense disturbance to the ecosystem and also resulting in the deaths of wild animals.

SH 13 & SH 29A run right through the core area of Sariska. One of them also leads to the famous Pandupol Hanuman Temple deep inside the forest, that gets tourists/pilgrims all through the year. With a very heavy heart I've to say that these tourists/pilgrims though are given a rule book before entering the forest, do not adhere and IMO, a tragedy is waiting to happen some day.

Well to continue with my tale, reached the entrance gate and after the entries were made by the forest officials, we entered the forest. Shortly after enetering the the jeep turned left on a mud trail into the forest and we reached at a small lake where in the middle of lake on an island saw these crocs, sunbathing and a heron meditating on one leg.

Sal trees in the forest

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3560.jpg

Crocodiles

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3370.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3376.jpg

Heron

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3378.jpg

Further down saw a lot of wild boars and reached an artificial water hole with steps built by the erstwhile Maharaja of Alwar that also had a machan built on the side and covered by trees for the king to hunt. A female wild boar with her brood was drinking at that water hole.

Boar

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3382.jpg

Female Boar with her brood

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3388.jpg

Deep down in the forest we reached a natural water body where I saw this magnificiant Blue Bull standing on the other side and staring at us, a pair of spotted ducks swimming silently in the water and a Crested Serpent Eagle perched high atop a tree.

Neelgai - Blue Bull

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3396.jpg

Spot-billed Ducks.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3399.jpg

Crested Serpent Eagle

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3404.jpg

to be continued../-

Last edited by .anshuman : 16th February 2011 at 16:55. Reason: Updated on request.
Old 29th January 2011, 18:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Saar,

Great photos... awaiting your full log.

Going again on 30th? The Sariska bug has bitten hard!! Sweet pain.

--Ramky
=====
Old 29th January 2011, 21:16   #5
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Have patience Vinod. I did not hear anything about tents from Club Mahindra. But will check tommorrow when I go again.

The road is as bad as it can get. What is VRs?
GD bahi super crisp photos. Keep it coming.
The tents might be near sariska palace.
VRs is my Skoda Octavia 1.8 Turbo. The GC is just around 134 mm.
Old 30th January 2011, 00:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ramkyanna, full log should be completed on Monday. The fact that ST-4 has joined ST-2 at Kalighaati and both are camping for the last 6 days, has compelled me to go again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Saar,

Great photos... awaiting your full log.

Going again on 30th? The Sariska bug has bitten hard!! Sweet pain.

--Ramky
=====
Will check today... Phew, I thought VRs as VR in the Nikkor lenses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
GD bahi super crisp photos. Keep it coming.
The tents might be near sariska palace.
VRs is my Skoda Octavia 1.8 Turbo. The GC is just around 134 mm.
Old 31st January 2011, 11:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sorry folks for the delay in update as this Sunday (30th Jan) took me again to Sariska... Details of that visit shall be appended to this thread, but later.

After having seen the Neelgai, ducks & the eagle headed towards the Pandupol Hanuman Temple as wife wanted to have a 'darshan'. I wanted to roam around in the hope of a sighting and for a moment thought that this temple visit would be a waste of time.

Stopped at the check post near Kallighati where the road forks to a Y, with the right flank heading to Tehla and the left towards the Temple.

While the formalities were being completed, the local resident - Indian Treepie or the Rufous Treepie decided to check my 'jungle' credentials and perched on top of my head. Wife was quick enough to take a snap.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1484.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3471.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3471a.jpg

Scores of Jungle Babblers were perched near the checkpost and I discovered in amazement that they had no fear for the man & machine. They swooped down, perched on the gypsy, some hopped onto the seats, created a ruckus and then back to their perch. They were looking for some morsels of food. It seems the visitors to the jungle and pilgrims coming from the temple feed then some tid-bits. I feel this is wrong and should be stopped. It appears that the forest guards at the check-post turn a blind eye.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3432.jpg

Itchy? Grooming?

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3433.jpg

Can't I even scratch in peace & privacy..!!

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3434.jpg

Angry?

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3552.jpg

People visiting sanctuaries have no civic sense. Here at the checkpost I also saw this happening in front of my eyes. Some imbecile moron ate this and threw the wrapper. I spotted this squirrel pick it up and finish of the leftover crumbs.. Very sad. When will we learn?

The jungle creatures too have become modern. Instead of nuts, this squirrel loves Cadbury 5 Star.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3439.jpg

After this spectacle, we headed towards the Temple. That place is infested with Langurs & Rhesus monkeys. Some of them are aggressive too but have known not to harm the pilgrims. But yes they do damage the vehicles. The radio antenna is chewed upon & broken, the side RVMs are damaged and they jump on the roof & the bonnet with force. One of them lunged at me as well, but I stood my ground fended him off.

Side pose

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3445.jpg

Hungry kya?

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3449.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3456.jpg

Thirsty kya?

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3446.jpg

The stare

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3467.jpg

Demeanor changes

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3470.jpg

Baring of teeth & the lunge

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3469.jpg

This took me by surprise and the camera shaked, hence the blur..

Rhesus Macaque: "I'm trying to sleep you moron. Go away if you've taken you prized shot".

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3450.jpg

Close-up

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3450a.jpg

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 31st January 2011 at 11:59.
gd1418 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2011, 12:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice sharp and crisp pictures GD Sahib. The birds and the monkey photos have come out to be very nice.

The monkeys around the water tap at the temple are really scary. They dont even let you drink water there.

And the birds at the check post are more or less domesticated, I think they also have given them names. There is also a neelgai there that comes out to have tit bits offered by tourists. You are right about this being stopped, but I have also been guilty about doing this.

Did you not try the old NH8 from Gurgaon? That is via Alwar- sohna? Isit better to take Gurgaon- Behror- shahpura- Alwar?

A few pics of the bird and the neelgai at the check post from our trip. Hope you dont mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-dsc00957.jpg  

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-dsc00959.jpg  

Last edited by deky : 31st January 2011 at 12:15.
Old 31st January 2011, 12:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Awesome images, specially the one with squirrel.

Last snap does not seem to be that sharp, was it takes with high ISO?
Old 31st January 2011, 12:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

It was late noon by now and the time for the movement for predator was approaching. Like other days, on that day (sunday) since morning, no sightings were reported. We crossed the checkpost again and were crossing a bridhe near Kallighati, where we spotted this team from a Tiger research agency that was camping for the last 6 months waiting patiently in their Gypsy. We too stopped and asked if they had any sightings. They replied in negative and said that ST-2, the tigress was last seen in this area 24 hrs earlier.

The research team

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3532.jpg

We also parked and decided to wait as we had lot of time and patience on our hand. My skin was tingling with excitement and I checked & re-checked my camera settings. I then heard the loud bellows of two peahens. The guide, Hari Singh said - "Sir, kuch hai". I cynically commented - "Ek mongoose dikhne se bhi mor chillata hai". The peahens were repeatedly bellowing. Nothing moved and nothing visible.

Bot the Gypsies agreed that it could be a leopard that has sat down in the thick grass well camouflaged which has alarmed & disturbed the peahens.

Suddenly the stillness of the jungle is shattered by the loud bugle call of a Sambar. PONK! PONK!

The sambar deer gives the most visible alarm calls of all the deers. When threatened by a predator, they slowly lift up their tails to indicate to the rest of the herd that there is danger near by, so be on alert but no need to run yet. When they sense the danger to be very close, they lift up their front leg and stamp on the ground, telling rest of the herd "Be ready to run". The final call is the actual vocal alarm call, hearing which all the deer will run away.

Immediately there after there was some rustling sound in the bushes, some running around, more of PONK, PONK and we saw this Sambhar deer run away and stand at a distance, very very alert and staring at some place.

Scared & alert Sambhar

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3534.jpg

We also turned our heads to look where the deer was staring. PONK, PONK and more PONK, PONK and lo behold, Her Majesty appeared, walking languidly without a care and not looking here or there. What a majestic stride & body; lithe rippling muscles and occassional lifting of the head and looking in our direction with disdain. ST-2 - one of the 3 female Tigresses of Sariska.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3482.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3492.jpg

The camera went berserk at 5 fps and I don't know how many I clicked. It walked, looked around, waited, stared at us straight in the eye and with one big leap crossed the road and melted away in the jungle. Though I make it sound as if the show was over in a few minutes, this spectacle went on for nearly 1.5 hrs. By this time more gypsies had converged to this place and private cars carrying pilgrims to the temple too stopped creating a crowd and noise. The cat appeared disturbed.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3529.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3530.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3531.jpg

Next something un-imaginable happened; the pilgrims in the cars, opened the door and came out and with their P&S stood on the fringe of the jungle to capture the cat. A major tragedy waiting to happen. Repeated exhortions & warnings from my guide and other guides of the gypsies made then go back to their cars. I was busy shooting the cat, hence could not take a single picture of this bad behaviour. Wish I had taken and shown it to the Forest Officials.

It was time to return and the su was setting. On my way back spotted this Owlet that was basking with its eyes closed.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3563.jpg

Thus the quest to see a Tiger in its natural habitat was satiated but the thirst to see more remained. I promised myself to return the coming Sunday (30th Jan) again and headed back home very excited and contented..
Attached Thumbnails
Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3515.jpg  

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3516.jpg  

Last edited by gd1418 : 31st January 2011 at 12:45.
Old 31st January 2011, 12:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Deky. I did not take the Sohna Alwar route. The NH8 being 6 lane appeared to be a better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Nice sharp and crisp pictures GD Sahib. The birds and the monkey photos have come out to be very nice.

The monkeys around the water tap at the temple are really scary. They dont even let you drink water there.

And the birds at the check post are more or less domesticated, I think they also have given them names. There is also a neelgai there that comes out to have tit bits offered by tourists. You are right about this being stopped, but I have also been guilty about doing this.

Did you not try the old NH8 from Gurgaon? That is via Alwar- sohna? Isit better to take Gurgaon- Behror- shahpura- Alwar?

A few pics of the bird and the neelgai at the check post from our trip. Hope you dont mind.
Thanks Netfreak. I have to check the Exif of that last picture. I normally take pictures with ISO 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Awesome images, specially the one with squirrel.

Last snap does not seem to be that sharp, was it takes with high ISO?
Old 31st January 2011, 16:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

A teaser from my 30th Jan visit to Sariska. More shall follow after I savour the pictures..

ST-2 Tigress at Brahmanath Aniket waterhole

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3613a.jpg

This time I was prepared. I was excited but was not shivering. I waited while it was drinking. Then she lifted her eyes to look at me and with bated breath I was looking at her through the lens from a distance of 10 feet. A shiver ran down my spine...!

Last edited by gd1418 : 31st January 2011 at 16:39.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2011, 16:39   #13
v&v
Senior - BHPian

gd saab, stunning and priceless. I say that was close.
Old 31st January 2011, 19:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

gd that new bazooka has some amazing DOF in those Langurs & Rhesus shots. Happened to see the shot of the tigress quenching its thirst on FB today. Great going and am glued to your thread.

Quote:
Then she lifted her eyes to look at me and with bated breath I was looking at her through the lens from a distance of 10 feet.
That was really close.How did you manage to get that close to the tigress ?
Old 31st January 2011, 19:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Glad the quest is fullfilled and that too twice!!

Amazing tiger/ess photos GD Sir, I guess this new lens is lucky for you. I loved all the pics but the last one at the watering hole is really special.

Waiting for the next episode. And if you going again next Sunday again, do let me know.

Regards
Closed Thread

Most Viewed