Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 11:51   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

Ahh ha!!! Nice nice nice, you get to see the dancing peacock again and that too in almost 40 degrees .

Waiting for the ST to appear now
Old 21st March 2011, 12:49   #122
Senior - BHPian

re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

As mentioned earlier, we had packed lunch to be carried inside the forest as the idea was to spend the entire day inside. Reminded me of my Corbett visit. The heat was unbearable. Apart from my gypsy there were two more gypsies inside the Park. The traffic was less. I was told that it would pick-up after 3 pm.

While the daughter & her mother were having lunch I decided to explore the surroundings, hoping to catch some interesting pictures. I didn't know then that I was being photographed.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1703.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1700.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1698.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1699.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1701.jpg

These pictures were taken by my wife from her Nikon Coolpix S220. Wish she could have taken better....

I too ate some sandwiches, drank water and rested. In the meanwhile there arrived the tracker gypsy for ST 4. There long drawn faces made me ask what the matter was. They informed that for the last two days they did not get any signal from ST 4 although they traversed every nook & corner of the jungle. Except for ST 4 they were getting signals for ST 2 & ST 6. Interestingly ST 5 has not been sighted or traced for the last 5 days.

I told them about the pug-marks that I saw in the morning. Harisingh was summoned and he confirmed seeing the pug-marks. Off they rushed towards Karnawas & Tarunda with the antenna held high.

I wondered why they couldn't get a signal. This I would come to know later.

to be continued.../-
Old 21st March 2011, 13:15   #123
BHPian

Sir,
The most amazing reflections.
Regards
Old 21st March 2011, 15:00   #124
BHPian

A wonderful narration GD saab.
I second Fazal saab in his observation about your passion (omlette incident )

Here, let me post one photo from the ones that you have posted below.
Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3976.jpg

Great habitat shots of yourself sir.
Sometime, even I have to ask my friends around me to click me without my knowledge and many of the pics here http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&id=569205581 are a result of that.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Last edited by abheekg : 21st March 2011 at 15:03.
Old 21st March 2011, 20:16   #125
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Doc. For a moment I was foxed seeing the picture. Something wasn't right. Then I looked closely and had a good laugh. You inverted the photograph and you know it looks even better than the original.

Some really candid shots of you. I, especially liked the one in hammock hung across the gypsy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post

Here, let me post one photo from the ones that you have posted below.
Attachment 521149

Great habitat shots of yourself sir.
Sometime, even I have to ask my friends around me to click me without my knowledge and many of the pics here Login | Facebook are a result of that.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Last edited by gd1418 : 21st March 2011 at 20:22.
Old 21st March 2011, 21:50   #126
Senior - BHPian

A silent jungle, even the friendly but otherwise noisy Babblers & the Treepies at the Kaalighati check post were quiet, harsh Sun and temperature hovering around 37 C, nothing moved. I had no energy to explore the surrounding area, so came back to the shade.

And then I heard - "grrrbud". Cocked my ears and it repeated again. It was the deep guttural alarm call of the Neelgai and it came from the direction of Tarunda. Harisingh too had heard and came rushing to me - "Sir, leopard movement lagta hai".

Off we went towards Tarunda, first passing the man-made water-hole. Scanned the area carefully for any pug-marks or any other signs and then proceeded to the bigger lake. Parked the gypsy in a shade and waited. Not a squeak from anywhere. Lot of frogs were jumping in and out of the water near the banks and were croaking so loudly that it was a cacophony. I spotted these bright coloured dragonflies flitting around the water and perching on twigs.

Dragonfly

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3996.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3998.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4001.jpg

"grrrbud", "grrrbud", "yelp", "yelp" and again "grrrbud". Then there was a rustling sound across the lake and loud hoof sounds and there emerged this big male Neelgai running towards the water. My naked eyes couldn't make out anything amiss as the Neelgai was in a distance. But the 80~200 at its maximum revealed something. There was a deep fresh scar on its neck and his left ear was drooping. I told Harisingh about it and he grabbed my binocs and looked through it. He said that though Leopards seldom attack Neelgais sometimes they try. And this was a failed attempt. The Neelgai had escaped with a wound on the neck & ear. Harisingh said that had the attacker been a Tiger then this Neelgai wouldn't have escaped.

This big fellow was scared, irritated and angry; though not known generally to attack humans he looked at us and made a mock charge. Turned mid-way, drank some water, stomped his legs and crossed over to our side of the lake. Then there were some more running hoof sounds and three more male Neelgais came running and joined this fellow.

We waited & waited in the hope that the leopard might emerge or try again, but in vain. Harisingh said the Leopard for sure would have seen us and must have slinked away. It is said that the Leopard spots you atleast ten times before you even get to know its prescence. I shall let the pictures do the taking.

Neelgai comes running - scar on the neck & drooping ear

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4004.jpg

Stops and looks towards us

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4006.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4006a.jpg

Mock Charge

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4009.jpg

Close-up of the broken ear

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4009a.jpg

Turns Midway

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4010.jpg

Close-up of the scar and the bleeding ear

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4010a.jpg

Drinking water

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4011.jpg

Stomping his legs and moving away

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4012.jpg

The foursome

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4019.jpg

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 21st March 2011 at 21:53.
Old 21st March 2011, 23:29   #127
BHPian

@GD sahab: Superb experience and equally captivating photographs.
While you are documenting the action live at Sariska, I am doing the same here at Pench.

Now we just need someone to update us from Kanha, Bandhavgad, Corbett, etc..... and it will be very easy for prospective travellers to plan their trips and for the others to have the action delivered live on their desktops.

Keep up the good work.

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 22nd March 2011, 07:54   #128
BHPian

Seems that its T-BHP (Tiger-BHP) season this summer.
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:50   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
GD Sahab,
Somehow the colors of the peacock have turned out sort of flat???
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

Thanks nomad. Unfortunately, there were no peahens around. Dunno, for whom he was dancing.
Do you have any idea as to why this photo, compared to others appears flat?
GD Sahab,
Now, you have answered your own question....NO PEAHENS.

Seriously. the reason is that he was in a shade, the sun didn't bounce off his high contrast, vibrant colored feathers to give you those lively hues. Just can't help, in this situation where anything will turn out flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
He said that though Leopards seldom attack Neelgais sometimes they try. And this was a failed attempt. The Neelgai had escaped with a wound on the neck & ear.

This big fellow was scared, irritated and angry; though not known generally to attack humans he looked at us and made a mock charge.

Neelgai comes running - scar on the neck & drooping ear
It was a leopard attack, for sure, also...if you check on the leopard he would be having deep scars around his jaw to neck, that is the reason he let go of this immensly strong, horse like male.

Even if we discount the damage his hoof's could have done, a Neelgai is immensly, immensly strong and a Tiger's prey.

It surely could have been an inexperienced leopard, as it went for the upper neck and not for the throat. Also the desperate atempt to hold this guy by the ear and keep his deadly swiveling horns free, shows the preadators inexperienece.

I have an idea what these horns can do,

More than 20 years back, in the Hyderabad zoo there was a Neelgai, he would seperate from the rest of the herd in an open enclosure and was very friendly to humans and would lick the hands to fore arms for the salt in the sweat. Always he would be standing at the edge of the enclosure wall which was 6 feet below the visotors level, for some handouts.

I along with my brother and cousin went there as my cousin wanted to try out his newly accuired zoom. I knew this neelgai since many years so I deided to let my cousin shoot me feeding it,,,,a long shot....I jumped into the enlosure walked about 30 feet away from this neelgai and the camera, for my cousin to get the 'loooooong shot'.

Mr. Neelgai very sweetly watches me jump in and walk away from it and does not react.

With a branch in my hand as bait, I made some noise to call him, he turned back and looked at me and then started the most horrifying charge, growing by second in size as he got closer to me, and me frozen like my feet were nailed to the ground. His head and horns in perfect position he got me in the abdomen.

By some miracle, or someone's prayers he stopped as his horns touched the skin of my stomach. By this time there were two deep lacerations and a torn T shirt.

He walked away from me and I went back to my brothers, the first thing I asked my cousin...Did you get it on camera?

He too was frozen on the other side of the fence watching the drama and forgot to shoot.

This is my story, 'one prayer and two horn' story that I will never forget and also repeatedly realise what a fool I was, maybe still am.

It was a charge at full throtle and what if he didn't stop?
This is a question I have asked myself countless times in those 20+ years.

Also notice how the camera was out of focus when it was shooting you until your daughter came in? Very good DoF in that shot.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 22nd March 2011 at 09:12.
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:58   #130
Senior - BHPian

Guru Ji,

Beautiful pics of the reflections and peacock.
Perfect lighting for shooting but not so great for shooters.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:55   #131
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Doc.

Very true. If we have a similar compilation of other sanctuaries, then for the first timers it would be spoon feeding and they would not have to suffer for lack of information.

Quote:
@GD sahab: Superb experience and equally captivating photographs.
While you are documenting the action live at Sariska, I am doing the same here at Pench.

Now we just need someone to update us from Kanha, Bandhavgad, Corbett, etc..... and it will be very easy for prospective travellers to plan their trips and for the others to have the action delivered live on their desktops.

Keep up the good work.

Dr. A Ghosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
Seems that its T-BHP (Tiger-BHP) season this summer.
Ha ha ha. What the prescence or the abscence of the female does to a male...

While the Sun was scorching elsewhere, the shade offered in the jungle gave me only a shutter speed of 1/100 at f/2.8. Otherwise it should have been in the range of 1/1500 or 1/2000. In that case I could set my aperture at F 8 to get more sharpness.

And I've just seeked an appointment with that Leopard to inspect his/her jaws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
GD Sahab,
Now, you have answered your own question....NO PEAHENS.

Seriously. the reason is that he was in a shade, the sun didn't bounce off his high contrast, vibrant colored feathers to give you those lively hues. Just can't help, in this situation where anything will turn out flat.

It was a leopard attack, for sure, also...if you check on the leopard he would be having deep scars around his jaw to neck, that is the reason he let go of this immensly strong, horse like male.

Even if we discount the damage his hoof's could have done, a Neelgai is immensly, immensly strong and a Tiger's prey.

It surely could have been an inexperienced leopard, as it went for the upper neck and not for the throat. Also the desperate atempt to hold this guy by the ear and keep his deadly swiveling horns free, shows the preadators inexperienece.

Also notice how the camera was out of focus when it was shooting you until your daughter came in? Very good DoF in that shot.
Regards,
Thank you KP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Guru Ji,

Beautiful pics of the reflections and peacock.
Perfect lighting for shooting but not so great for shooters.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:13   #132
Senior - BHPian

Bhai Saahab!!!

Seeing that Neelgayee photo staring at that camera reminds me of that Amitabh Bachan song from the movie Mr. Natwarlal where he gathers all the kids and sings the following song
Aao Bachcho Aaj Tumhe Ek
Kahani Sunata Hoon Main
Sher Ki Kahani Sunoge
Main Lapka Wo Jhapka
Main Upar Wo Neeche
Woh Aage Main Peechhe

Phir Kya Hua
Khuda Ki Kasam Maza Aa Gaya
Mujhe Maar Kar Besaram Kha Gaya
Kha Gaya
Lekin Aap To Zinda Hain
Are Ye Jeena Bhi Koi Jeena Hai Lallu

Excellent photos!!!
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:42   #133
BHPian

Sir amazing as all ways, to witness an escaped victim must be some experience one would always remember.
Superb pics of the event.
Regards
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:31   #134
Senior - BHPian

I would like to add this here although it would have been mentioned in detail in the travelogue later.....

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-kak.jpg

Quote:

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
It sent a shiver down my spine. To get away from the jaws of death is some experience that Neelgai would remember till it lives and this shall ever remain in my memory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post

Sir amazing as all ways, to witness an escaped victim must be some experience one would always remember.
Superb pics of the event.
Regards

Last edited by gd1418 : 22nd March 2011 at 16:35.
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:23   #135
BHPian

Enjoyed reading your detialed write up here. Thanks for sharing excellent qualiity photographs. Was an excellent racy read!

Nandu
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks