Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2011, 15:10   #151
v&v
Senior - BHPian

re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
To me it looks like the ST 2 (standing) & ST 4 (lying). ST 6 & ST 3 have been reported together but not seen.
Yes GD its true. ST6 has not been sited yet by tourists. This was confirmed by Hari Singh, is also last saw when it was released from captivity.
Old 26th April 2011, 20:31   #152
Senior - BHPian

Sariska Update!!

An Update:-

The forest Dept has banned the entry of private vehicles except on Tuesdays and Saturdays, when lots of pilgrims proceed to the Pandupole temple.

Earlier, private vehicles were allowed inside the park on all days from the main gate till the temple.

So all you guys who plan to take your vehicle inside make sure you either go on a Tuesday or a Saturday.

For more information read here
deky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 20:45   #153
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sariska Update!!

This indeed is a great news. Though it should have been done long time ago, but better late than never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
An Update:-

The forest Dept has banned the entry of private vehicles except on Tuesdays and Saturdays, when lots of pilgrims proceed to the Pandupole temple.

Earlier, private vehicles were allowed inside the park on all days from the main gate till the temple.

So all you guys who plan to take your vehicle inside make sure you either go on a Tuesday or a Saturday.

For more information read here
Old 26th April 2011, 22:50   #154
Senior - BHPian

re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

8th April, 2011

My last visit was on 18th Mar. Reference my post #: 142, wherein I had mentioned the arrival of my Sis-in-Law from States and wanting to go to Sariska, the earlier proposed date of 9th April was preponed by a day as I had a 12 day tour of MP coming up starting from 12th April.

Wife & daughter declined to accompany, so it was Dakshayani & I. A new Field Director from R'bhore had taken charge at Sariska and there were some changes in the Park entry timings. While earlier you could enter in the morning and roam till the time Park closed in the evening on a single entry permit, the changed timings were as below:

Morning - 7 am to 10:15 am

Evening - 2:45 pm to 6:30 pm.

This meant that if one had to do the both safaris, then arrangements for spending time between 10:30 am till 2:15 pm were to be made. Keeping this in view we decided that we would do only one evening safari.

A few days prior to this trip, I was hearing about a possible face-off between the two males of Sariska - ST 4 & ST 6.

ST 6, the recently relocated Tiger from Bharatpur was seen moving around in ST 4's territory and spraying over the markings of ST 4. This was a sign of a possible ugly confrontation.

Hari Singh my guide, called on 7th evening and exclaimed - ST 6 had moved closer and ST 4 appeared to be agitated.

Perfect time to visit.

Left in the morning at 9 am and with a stress free leisurely drive reached Sariska at 2 pm after a decent stopover at Highway King near Shahpura.

Harisingh & Rameshwar were ready with the tickets and after taking my camera gear boarded the gypsy and headed towards the Park gate. The scene there was different this time than what I had seen earlier. Like other National parks two more gypsies were parked & Rameshwar parked our jeep behind them in que. We were to be the third to enter when the gate would open.

Gate opened at 3 and we entered. This time we took a different route (am forgetting the name) that had not been explored on earlier trips as ST 6 was last known to be here in the morning, though unseen.

Enroute I spotted this young Sambhar munching on leaves in the shade.

Sambhar Deer

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4056.jpg

A hot dusty drive took us to a natural waterhole deep inside that I had not seen earlier. We were the only ones and we decided to wait. In the meadow separated by the water body was this magnificient Neel Gai (Blue Bull) who was looking very intently at us.

Neelgai

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4058.jpg

We patiently waited as Rameshwar said - "something is not right". In the meanwhile I spotted this Black Drongo (King Crow) perched on a branch and white Butterfly looking for nectar.

Black Drongo

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4069.jpg

Butterfly

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4080.jpg

The hot afternoon made me drowsy and then I heard a Langur call. Immediately the Neelgai perked up and intermittently banged his front hoof on the grass looking at the foliage behind him. And then he let out a deep grunt and followed it successively. A predator was on the move - which one? A male leopard was sighted in that area by a village man early in the morning. Could it be the leopard?

Then with a big leap the Neelgai vanished into the thicket and the Langur call stopped. Waited, waited and waited. When nothing stirred, Harisingh & Rameshwar decided to investigate on foot. They walked upto the edge of the waterbody, peered around and then returned.

Investigating

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4063.jpg

to be continued.../-
Old 26th April 2011, 23:27   #155
Senior - BHPian

We heard a Cheetal alarm call at a distance and it appeared to be coming from the Tarunda waterhole area. As the climate was hot I had anticipated that animals would come to drink water or sit in it to cool-off.

Reached the Tarunda waterhole and saw this pond Heron in the middle of the water waiting for fish.

Pond Heron

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4081.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4083.jpg

In the shade standing was this young male Sambhar who was growing antlers. The velvety antlers gave an innocent appearance..

Sambhar with velvety growing antlers

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4091.jpg

In a distance in a marshy area saw this female boar cooling off. She changed sides, got up when she heard the gypsy engine and sauntered away in the jungle.

Female wild Boar

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4093.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4095.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4096.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4098.jpg

No movement, no sound and a very silent jungle. Dusk approached and it was time to return back. On the way saw this magnificent Peacock dancing all alone in the middle of the track. Waited and waited for him to turn around. As we approached closer, he gathered his feathers in a graceful movement and the show ended...

Peacock

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4100.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4101.jpg

Dakshayani was a bit disappointed for not having seen the Tiger, but then everybody doesn't get to see a Tiger. It is only when the Tiger wishes to be seen that one sees the Tiger...

Left Sariska at 7 pm and with a brief stopover at RTDC Midway, Behror for dinner, reached home by midnight.

Last edited by gd1418 : 26th April 2011 at 23:30.
Old 27th April 2011, 10:10   #156
Senior - BHPian

GD Sahab,
Great pics., especially the last two peacock shots.
Looking forward to much more.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:03   #157
Senior - BHPian

Census to start in Sariska from 17th May, 2011. One has to spend 24 hours on a machan near a waterhole noting down the animals. Sounds very interesting and exciting. Finding out if the Forest authorities shall allow the camera.

I might......
Old 2nd May 2011, 23:30   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Census to start in Sariska from 17th May, 2011. One has to spend 24 hours on a machan near a waterhole noting down the animals. Sounds very interesting and exciting. Finding out if the Forest authorities shall allow the camera.

I might......
Sir
I might just make it if it can happen over a weekend. Incase you want to give names to the authorities, you can forward an application on my behalf.

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:52   #159
Senior - BHPian

Sariska has suddenly become hot destination and that has brought about quite a few changes and all for good. Listing them below:

1. Private vehicles have been banned.

2. Forest department buses shall take pilgrims to Pandupol on Tuesday & Saturday.

3. Sariska Tiger Reserve to close during monsoons from 1st July to 30th September.

4. During the monsoon closure, only pilgrims to the Pandupol temple shall be allowed on Saturday & Tuesday. If lucky then they can see a Tiger sitting in the middle of the tar road...

5. Safari timings: Morning - 6 am to 10 am & Evening - 2:30 pm to 6:30 pm

Last edited by gd1418 : 3rd May 2011 at 20:53.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 22:43   #160
BHPian

Sir, I(Bhavesh - bmunshi) am planning to visit Sariska, might be this month only. I am planning to do a night stay in Alwar, so that I can do the evening safari - Night Stay - Morning Safari - Return back to faridabad.

What do you suggest, visiting sariska in this heat is a good plan or should i plan it for next season.
Old 4th May 2011, 10:56   #161
Senior - BHPian

Visit either before 16th May or after 20th May. Staying at Alwar is not a good proposition unless there are other reasons.

Instead, stay at RTDC's Tiger Den that is next to the entry gate so that you don't loose time. Also, if you get out and get in your car and park it on the road in front of the gate at 4 am, in the moonlit night (as 17th is Poornima) you might see ST 3 or ST 6 and leopard (s).

Heat brings out the best in beast...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
Sir, I(Bhavesh - bmunshi) am planning to visit Sariska, might be this month only. I am planning to do a night stay in Alwar, so that I can do the evening safari - Night Stay - Morning Safari - Return back to faridabad.

What do you suggest, visiting sariska in this heat is a good plan or should i plan it for next season.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:01   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Visit either before 16th May or after 20th May. Staying at Alwar is not a good proposition unless there are other reasons.

Instead, stay at RTDC's Tiger Den that is next to the entry gate so that you don't loose time. Also, if you get out and get in your car and park it on the road in front of the gate at 4 am, in the moonlit night (as 17th is Poornima) you might see ST 3 or ST 6 and leopard (s).

Heat brings out the best in beast...!
Many thanks, but why before 16th or after 20th, anyway i would go on weekend (14/15 OR 21/22). But what's the logic behind those dates.

I didnt knew about RTDC's Tiger Den, In Alwar one of my friend's friend has a resort, that was the only reason.

I will require help once I finalize the plan
Old 4th May 2011, 11:05   #163
Senior - BHPian

Please refer to my post #:157...

Alwar is closr to 50 kms from the gate. you will spend 2 hours covering that distance, because the roads are real bad as you near the forest. So to take the morning safari that starts at 6 am you will have to leave Alwar by 3:30 latest. If you are willing to do so, then.....

Anytime...

Quote:

Many thanks, but why before 16th or after 20th, anyway i would go on weekend (14/15 OR 21/22). But what's the logic behind those dates.

I didnt knew about RTDC's Tiger Den, In Alwar one of my friend's friend has a resort, that was the only reason.

I will require help once I finalize the plan
Old 4th May 2011, 11:11   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Please refer to my post #:157...

Alwar is closr to 50 kms from the gate. you will spend 2 hours covering that distance, because the roads are real bad as you near the forest. So to take the morning safari that starts at 6 am you will have to leave Alwar by 3:30 latest. If you are willing to do so, then.....

Anytime...
Many Thanks, so tourist wont be allowed during that time, hum..

Thanks for Alwar tip, i would now start checking for RTDC's Tiger Den. Any pointer for that would be highly appreciated as always

Any idea about Club Mahindra's resort / tents over there.

I wanted to have a better resort, so if the home tigress dont get to see the tiger, at least I am safe
Old 4th May 2011, 11:32   #165
Senior - BHPian

Tourists will be allowed but let me explain you. The forest authorities shall be building machans at various waterholes and strategic places. Forest people, wildlife enthisiasts who volunteer for such exercises will be coming. The wild animals sense disturbance. And hence they may go deeper in the forest.

Secondly, most forest guides & jeep drivers too take part in the census. One may not get a guide or a driver and without both you cannot go into the forest.

All bookings for RTDC is online. Subject to availability, current bookings too are taken at the hotel itself. But that is like taking a chance. Click here for details and bookings - http://www.rtdc.in/hotels.htm

For club Mahindra read this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2290569
and PM V&V. He should be able to help you better.

Now coming to the most important point, it is the home tigress that is finicky and all suffer from that, including yours truly. With all due respects, I fail to understand that if they are looking for luxury in the wild, why not stay back at home and watch Nat Geo or Discovery?

Whether you stay on a machan for 2 days inside the jungle or in 5 star luxury at Sariska Palace, you can see the Tiger only if he/she deems to be seen..

Quote:

Many Thanks, so tourist wont be allowed during that time, hum..

Thanks for Alwar tip, i would now start checking for RTDC's Tiger Den. Any pointer for that would be highly appreciated as always

Any idea about Club Mahindra's resort / tents over there.

I wanted to have a better resort, so if the home tigress dont get to see the tiger, at least I am safe
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks