Team-BHP - Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/103665-maruti-suzuki-swift-tyre-wheel-upgrade-thread-114.html)

Hi Folks,

Need advice on tyre upgrade for my Swift Vxi. Some facts on the table..
-Currently running on stock JK tyres.
-Nearing 50k completion
-Rotation has been done, so the spare tyre has also been used.
-No alloys
-Budget around 16k ( for a set of 4 tyres)

Last week I visited a tyre showroom in Bangalore, and checked out a few brands for the upgrade. Im thinking of upgrading for a slightly bigger size from the current stock 165. I was told by the guy at the showroom that 185 is a good option which will give better grip and handling. I'm confused to choose between Yokohama/Michellin/Bridgestone.

Is it true that the Yokos & Michellins have soft side walls, and greater chances for damages while trudging through the potholes?:Frustrati Which set of tyres would you advice to go for? Help please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by deechan (Post 3039163)
Hi Folks,

Need advice on tyre upgrade for my Swift Vxi. Some facts on the table..
-Currently running on stock JK tyres.
-Nearing 50k completion
-Rotation has been done, so the spare tyre has also been used.
-No alloys
-Budget around 16k ( for a set of 4 tyres)

I was told by the guy at the showroom that 185 is a good option which will give better grip and handling. I'm confused to choose between Yokohama/Michellin/Bridgestone.

Is it true that the Yokos & Michellins have soft side walls, and greater chances for damages while trudging through the potholes?:Frustrati Which set of tyres would you advice to go for?

Michelin XM1 series had sidewall issues but I think they addressed it while launching the XM1+. I have one set of XM1+ and another set of XM2 in my Swifts, both of which are running fine so far. XM2 has been going over bad roads alone for the last 2 months but no issues so far.

Regarding Yoko, I had the same query regarding sidewall strength but you should be able to find enough owner comments in this thread regarding good experience with Yokohama too.

You might be able to get the harder JK/MRF/Amazer series but not anything else for 16k if you are considering 185 size. VFM options to look out would be Yokohama/Apollo Acelere/MRF ZLO which might come around 17-17.5k range. Expect another 1.5-2k for Michelins or Bridgestone.

Thanks!! I'm quoted 16k for Yoko 185. I didn't check if it is the A or C series. My bad! I wouldn't mind shelling 2k more if it offers better quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deechan (Post 3039163)
Is it true that the Yokos & Michellins have soft side walls, and greater chances for damages while trudging through the potholes?

Yokohama C Drive got soft sidewalls whereas S Drives have hard ones. I'm currently running on my second set of S Drives. Since I was completely satisfied with my first set, I went in for S Drives recently. I had low profiles earlier and now runs on 205/55/r15. First set lasted 45k kms and had enough life for another 4k-5k but decided to change since I had a long drive. Although I had low profile tyres, I used these on some of the worst roads imaginable and yet the sidewalls were too perfect. These are the available sizes for S drives considering you are running on stock rims.

185/55/R14, 185/60/R14. You also have 195 and 205 section tyres. S Drives are performance tyres. If you are looking for comfort models in Yokohama, I suggest you to check out A drives and C Drives but will have softer sidewalls when compared to S Drives.

Hi Guys,

I have planned to upgrade the tires for my Swift VDI. They are running on Goodyear Duraplus and 1 Tyre on JK Vectra. I am planning to upgrade 185/70R14 Bridgestone ER60 after reading thru lot of reviews. I dont have alloys and i intend to use the existing steel rims itself.

I checked the Price in XL Point Besant Nagar and RR TYres in Indranagar, Chennai. They were quoting the 4700 per tyre. RR Tyres was asking for 750 for Wheel Alignment and balancing.

I did not check the price at which they will take back the tires at both the places and also forgot to chcek the Wheel alignment and balancing costs at XL point.

RR Tyres said he can work out the price and if i OK to go now.

XL Tyrepoint said i can upgrade 2 tires now and then upgrade the other two after 4-5K. But RR Tyres said it should not be done.

Questions :
1. IS Rs.4700 for 185/70R15 a good price + 750 for alignment and balancing?
2. Can i just upgrade two tires to 185/70R14 and retain the other two at 165/80/R14. ?

Planning to check with Lal Enterprises as well? Any other suggestions ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchucold (Post 3048908)
Hi Guys,

Questions :
1. IS Rs.4700 for 185/70R15 a good price + 750 for alignment and balancing?
2. Can i just upgrade two tires to 185/70R14 and retain the other two at 165/80/R14. ?

Planning to check with Lal Enterprises as well? Any other suggestions ?

I cant specifically comment for shops in your vicinity but i haven't seen a shop in Delhi/Gurgaon which charges for alignment and balancing on purchase of 4 tyres.
Even then Rs.350 max is the standard norm here for alignment and balancing.
Company Authorised workshops(Maruti/Hyundai etc.) do charge to the tune of Rs.800 for the same.

If you can upgrade together it would be better.

Hi,

Swift Zxi with Stock alloys, stock JK Vectras 185/70 R14 - 3 are 2009 - run 60k, 2 are 2010 run 40k,

1. Bulges showing up on 2 of the 2009's, need to change these, dealer close by pushing for Yoko/ Ceat.
2. Vehicle will be sparingly used for next 6 months (total not greater than 500 km)
3. Choose soft/hard compound considering low usage although comfort is important?
4. 2 tire choices as per the readers recommendation?
5. change all 4/5 at a go or change the two old ones first and then over period of a year migrate fully?

Quote:

Originally Posted by latentpotential (Post 3093785)
Hi,

Swift Zxi with Stock alloys, stock JK Vectras 185/70 R14 - 3 are 2009 - run 60k, 2 are 2010 run 40k,

5. change all 4/5 at a go or change the two old ones first and then over period of a year migrate fully?

I will suggest, if you plan to keep the car for couple of more years , then change all 4 of them with new ones, otherwise you can look for used tyres .

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by latentpotential (Post 3093785)
Hi,

1. Bulges showing up on 2 of the 2009's, need to change these, dealer close by pushing for Yoko/ Ceat.
2. Vehicle will be sparingly used for next 6 months (total not greater than 500 km)
3. Choose soft/hard compound considering low usage although comfort is important?
4. 2 tire choices as per the readers recommendation?

@lp

#1 - Since you are looking at comfort suggest you choose between Yoko A Drive , Michelin XM2 and MRF ZLO
#2 - Irrespective of the usage you want the car to be trouble free and a joy to ride so this shouldn't change your decision process
#3 - See recommendations in #1
#4 and #5 - Change all 5 would be my recommendation and choose all 5 tire rotation. Check the link for details. Have been following the forward cross for all my cars and has really helped :thumbs up

HTH

Good luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schoudhury (Post 3093954)
I will suggest, if you plan to keep the car for couple of more years , then change all 4 of them with new ones, otherwise you can look for used tyres .

Cheers

Used tyres? Kindly elaborate, this sounds risky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by csateesh (Post 3094171)
@lp

#1 - Since you are looking at comfort suggest you choose between Yoko A Drive , Michelin XM2 and MRF ZLO
#2 - Irrespective of the usage you want the car to be trouble free and a joy to ride so this shouldn't change your decision process
#3 - See recommendations in #1
#4 and #5 - Change all 5 would be my recommendation and choose all 5 tire rotation. Check the link for details. Have been following the forward cross for all my cars and has really helped :thumbs up

HTH

Good luck

#1 - Can you help with pricing information for XM2 and ZLO? - What about ZV2K TL?
#2 - A dealer told me if the car remains unused for a few weeks, bulges start to form on tyres, hence considering postponing the change
#4/5 - I already follow the forward x in both my cars, thanks for the advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by latentpotential (Post 3094791)

185/70/14 is a very popular tyre size , and you will find a lot of people upsizing or going for better quality tyres after using those stock tyres for 5k or 10k Kms .
I was referring to those tyres .
Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by latentpotential (Post 3094791)

#1 - Can you help with pricing information for XM2 and ZLO? - What about ZV2K TL?
#2 - A dealer told me if the car remains unused for a few weeks, bulges start to form on tyres, hence considering postponing the change
#4/5 - I already follow the forward x in both my cars, thanks for the advice.

@lp

You already understand the risk of used tyres. But if you can get one from a brand new swift that was swapped off the shop nothing like it but nothing other than that

I could have helped you in Chennai or Bangalore but since you are from Bombay suggest get prices using JustDial or other means.

MRF ZLO was around 4.2k and XM2 was 4.4k in BLR when I checked the prices a couple of months back. Hope you find it useful

#2 - This is nothing but BS. I have parked my Accent CRDi for 6 weeks recently due to business travel and nothing of that sort happened.

The way I look at it is simple. This is a fixed cost and you can only postpone it but not avoid it. So it is better to incur the same now and stay peaceful.

I am planning to change my tires soon and will keep you posted once I decide to take the plunge for up to date prices..

Cross posting my feedback from the Yoko A drives thread :D

Hope this helps your decision process

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by csateesh (Post 3094819)
@lp

You already understand the risk of used tyres. But if you can get one from a brand new swift that was swapped off the shop nothing like it but nothing other than that

I could have helped you in Chennai or Bangalore but since you are from Bombay suggest get prices using JustDial or other means.

MRF ZLO was around 4.2k and XM2 was 4.4k in BLR when I checked the prices a couple of months back. Hope you find it useful

#2 - This is nothing but BS. I have parked my Accent CRDi for 6 weeks recently due to business travel and nothing of that sort happened.

The way I look at it is simple. This is a fixed cost and you can only postpone it but not avoid it. So it is better to incur the same now and stay peaceful.

I am planning to change my tires soon and will keep you posted once I decide to take the plunge for up to date prices..

Cross posting my feedback from the Yoko A drives thread :D

Hope this helps your decision process

Cheers

Got the following:
JK Vectra: 4200
MRF ZV2K: 4000
Bridgestone ER60: 4150
Bridgestone G3: 4400
Michelin XM2: 4500

Last two he recommends all 4 at a time. And he insists new tyres should only go in front (typical!)

Anyone know about this dealer: Deep Tyres, Panchpakhadi Thane

Plus: How do you identify tyres which have been lightly used (100km or less)?

Completed 41K Kms in Yoko A drive, 185/70/R14 and planning to change tyres by 45K. Between A drives, Appolo Accelers and MRF ZLOs which one offers better ride. If anyone bought any one of these in recent times at EKM/TCR , please share the price? Any recommended shops?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheroad (Post 3101962)
Completed 41K Kms in Yoko A drive, 185/70/R14 and planning to change tyres by 45K. Between A drives, Appolo Accelers and MRF ZLOs which one offers better ride. If anyone bought any one of these in recent times at EKM/TCR , please share the price? Any recommended shops?

If you are satisfied with the Yoko A drives, then go for it. I didnt find Apollo great since I have used that in my Vento. Of the lot, I would stick with A drives. As for the shops, check out Speed tyres at Padivattom. I got S drives (205/55/R15) from there for a price of 5600/- a piece after discount. For better sales and after sales service, check out DBS tyres near Emmanuel Silks. They are the best in the business when it comes to alignment and after sales support. Offers better discount.