Team-BHP - Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/103665-maruti-suzuki-swift-tyre-wheel-upgrade-thread-107.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhas.sudhish (Post 2911979)
I'm getting my new Swift Vdi this coming week clap:
Want to change the stock 165's to 195/60 R15.
Which should i opt out of -

1)Yokohama A-Drive 195/60 R15
2)Yokohama C-Drive 195/60 R15
3)Bridgestone Potenza MY-01 195/60 R15
4)Bridgestone Potenza GIII 195/60 R15

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhas.sudhish (Post 2915654)
I liked the pattern on the C-drives. I dont think there's much difference between these two.

What's the size of your tyres?? And did you change the alloys??

A dealer quoted 4,950 for each tyre and a buy back of 2,300 for the stock Goodyear tyres. So that is 2,650 for each tyre.

Pls go for C.Drives as they will give the best blend of performance, silence and comfort. Only -ve is that the sidewalls are not the strongest and so you may want to be a wee bit careful when cutting back from shoulder on broken roads or putting the car on top of seriously thorny bushes (read BIG thorns)

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkyp (Post 2915714)
c-drives are more performance oriented and slightly lesser on comfort and longevity. The difference will be minimal and you can go for the one you like.

More performance oriented, yes..but not lower on comfort or silence though a bit lower on economy (read as life) though. then again, my C.drives have done nearly 50k in my Innova already.

If you want longer life - A.Drive
If you want grip and performance - C.Drive

see the Yoko tire positioning at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...0-hyd-expo.jpg

and a video on A. Drive and C.Drive at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUyPEAtFAlc

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffetfan

Pls go for C.Drives as they will give the best blend of performance, silence and comfort. Only -ve is that the sidewalls are not the strongest and so you may want to be a wee bit careful when cutting back from shoulder on broken roads or putting the car on top of.......
and a video on A.

Hi guys. Was a bit busy with modding my new car and also was held up with work.

Buffetfan,
I did go in for the C-drives. The drive is really smooth. There is good road grip as well. Haven't tried hard corners but braking has tremendously improved with these new set of rubbers.

Thanx for that advice. Will be more careful about the sidewall :-P

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhas.sudhish (Post 2927072)
Hi guys. Was a bit busy with modding my new car and also was held up with work.

Buffetfan,
I did go in for the C-drives. The drive is really smooth. There is good road grip as well. Haven't tried hard corners but braking has tremendously improved with these new set of rubbers.

Thanx for that advice. Will be more careful about the sidewall :-P

Congratulations - I am sure that you will enjoy your time with them

Need advice for tyre upgrade on Swift. its time to change the first set of tyres and was thinking of upsizing to 185/70R14. First km from house is a very rough patch; remaining roads are marginally better but still not good enough. Would it be better to go for softer tyres like Michelin/Bridgestone or the harder tyres like the stock ones considering the drive would be mostly on bad roads. How would the Michelin/Bridgestone tyres perform over consistent driving in bad roads?

I need advice from experts:

I upgraded 4 tyres (around 30K Kms) in my Swift with GoodYear DuraPlus (from Yoko ES100) and now the odo reads 48K. Kept one of the Yoko as spare.

Yesterday, while driving down to Bangalore from Chennai, a 6 inch blunt headed bolt made its way into one of the rear tyres. I was near Ambur and went to a local repairwala. Didnt want to drive down the rest of the 200 kms to Bangalore in the old and partially worn out ES100. However, the repairwala said that the hole in too big to be filled with the normal gooey stick like thing they put in. He said (from what i understood, i dont speak or understand local language), that he will have to heat it up and repair. Now my questions:

1. Is it normal to heat and repair tubeless tyres with heat. And if yes, is it a safe method. I am asking because i drive around 100+ kmph speeds highways (twice a month Chennai Bangalore up and down).

2. I also plan to change the spare tyre to same Duraplus. But since the old ones have already run 18K kms, would that be a problem to have 1 tyre new. The old tyres, although look as good as new, since they are mainly made for durability.

3. In terms of safety, should i change the damaged tyre as well and buy 2 new tyres (one to replace the damaged and another for sapre) and put them in front.

4. Will it be okay if i put Mich or other Comfort oriented tyres in front (if i decide to go for #3), or will it have compatibility issues at high speeds with GYDP?

Looking for advice and help.

Another thing: I had bought GYDP for 4000 INR a piece less than 2 years ago, but when i aksed price at a local place in Kamanahalli, they quoted 5750. Have tyre prices increased by that much? I am currently on 195/60/R15.

How is Pirelli P6 195/60 R15 for use in Kerala? I am looking at the Pirelli, the Michelin XM2 185/65 R15 or Z.L.O. 195/60 R15 for our Swift.

The main advantage with the Michelin is the stock specification.

The Italian and the French cost around 5300 per tyre and the MRF around 4800.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 2941137)
How is Pirelli P6 195/60 R15 for use in Kerala? I am looking at the Pirelli, the Michelin XM2 185/65 R15 or Z.L.O. 195/60 R15 for our Swift.

The main advantage with the Michelin is the stock specification.

The Italian and the French cost around 5300 per tyre and the MRF around 4800.

A friend and a BHPian has the Pirelli's on his Grande Punto, in Pune. He finds, the ride quality has improved drastcially over the OEM's. Its less noisy, more planted (in dry and wet conditions) and sporty enough.

About the XM2's, I've heard only good reviews so far. Yet to come across someone who isnt satisfied with em.

Do update us with your choice, especially if you go in for Pirelli's.
I am on the lookout for new tyres for my Swift too :) .

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC (Post 2939021)
I need advice from experts:

I upgraded 4 tyres (around 30K Kms) in my Swift with GoodYear DuraPlus (from Yoko ES100) and now the odo reads 48K. Kept one of the Yoko as spare.

Yesterday, while driving down to Bangalore from Chennai, a 6 inch blunt headed bolt made its way into one of the rear tyres. I was near Ambur and went to a local repairwala. Didnt want to drive down the rest of the 200 kms to Bangalore in the old and partially worn out ES100. However, the repairwala said that the hole in too big to be filled with the normal gooey stick like thing they put in. He said (from what i understood, i dont speak or understand local language), that he will have to heat it up and repair. Now my questions:

1. Is it normal to heat and repair tubeless tyres with heat. And if yes, is it a safe method. I am asking because i drive around 100+ kmph speeds highways (twice a month Chennai Bangalore up and down).

2. I also plan to change the spare tyre to same Duraplus. But since the old ones have already run 18K kms, would that be a problem to have 1 tyre new. The old tyres, although look as good as new, since they are mainly made for durability.

3. In terms of safety, should i change the damaged tyre as well and buy 2 new tyres (one to replace the damaged and another for sapre) and put them in front.

4. Will it be okay if i put Mich or other Comfort oriented tyres in front (if i decide to go for #3), or will it have compatibility issues at high speeds with GYDP?

Looking for advice and help.

Another thing: I had bought GYDP for 4000 INR a piece less than 2 years ago, but when i aksed price at a local place in Kamanahalli, they quoted 5750. Have tyre prices increased by that much? I am currently on 195/60/R15.

1. Not a good method. Heat patches are used but can fail any time. My sincere suggestion is not to skimp on the 4 small contact patches with the road. Get a new tyre.

2. Get 2 new Durapluses and use them on the rear axle of the car. Of the remaining 3 tyres, use 2 equally worn tyres on the front and one as the spare.

4. Dont change the pattern. It wont make much of a difference but it isnt recommended as you will have different grip at the front and the rear.

tyre prices have gone up quite ab it in the last 2 years. 195/60-15 Duraplus should be much cheaper though. Not 5k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 (Post 2941383)
1. Not a good method. Heat patches are used but can fail any time. My sincere suggestion is not to skimp on the 4 small contact patches with the road. Get a new tyre.

tyre prices have gone up quite ab it in the last 2 years. 195/60-15 Duraplus should be much cheaper though. Not 5k.

Thanks Nikhil. I showed the tyre to a competent tyre shop and they confirmed that they will be able to fix it using a mushroom type plug, although they said that they would not be advisable to use in highways.

I plan to buy a new DP and replace the current spare and put in rear. The current pierced DP will go as spare after the repair.

Price quoted by them was 49xx per piece. It seems the Kamanahalli shop is fleecing customers big time (800rs per tire?)

upgraded my swift tires to Michelin Primacy LC 195-60-15. car is now very silent and road grip has improved a lot.

Hi friends,

I need one advice on the tyres and alloy wheel upgrades for my friend's New Swift Diesel VDI.
Existing tyre size is 165X80 R14.

1. What will the correct upgrade size? (If he wish to)
2. What will be the impact on FE.

MASS is giving Original Alloy wheels (which are on ZDI) at the cost of 16k (discounts not calculated), with warranty. There are two sizes available, R14 and R15. Currrently stock steel rims are of size R14.

Experts please give your valuable feedback on upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achilless (Post 2958238)
Hi friends,

I need one advice on the tyres and alloy wheel upgrades for my friend's New Swift Diesel VDI.
Existing tyre size is 165X80 R14.

1. What will the correct upgrade size? (If he wish to)
2. What will be the impact on FE.

MASS is giving Original Alloy wheels (which are on ZDI) at the cost of 16k (discounts not calculated), with warranty. There are two sizes available, R14 and R15. Currrently stock steel rims are of size R14.

Experts please give your valuable feedback on upgrade.

After 3 years of research I have concluded on 195-60-15 and I can guarantee you that's the best up size but at the same time 185-70-14 is also a good setup.
Here is a comparison from http://www.1010tires.com

About alloys its purely a choice what you want. MASS alloys is a good option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameerpb (Post 2958334)
After 3 years of research I have concluded on 195-60-15 and I can guarantee you that's the best up size but at the same time 185-70-14 is also a good setup.
Here is a comparison from http://www.1010tires.com

Sameerpb,

Thanks you vey much for sharing such a wonderful information. Just wanted to learn, will 195-60-15 or 185-70-14 will reduce the FE of car. Can you please put more light on the FE part. And how it is related (directly/Indirectly) to Car's performance?

Experts, need your advice for choosing the tyres on Swift diesel.

Which tyres would be a better option in the 185/70R14 size if the driving is mostly on bad roads?

Apollo Acelere
MRF ZLO
Michelin XM2
Bridgestone Turanza ER60
Any other tyre that is better than the above :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenren
Experts, need your advice for choosing the tyres on Swift diesel.

Which tyres would be a better option in the 185/70R14 size if the driving is mostly on bad roads?

Apollo Acelere
MRF ZLO
Michelin XM2
Bridgestone Turanza ER60
Any other tyre that is better than the above :)

Why not yoko a drives? They are pretty decent and costs way less than xm2