Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:37   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
Okay if i have a spare 13", wont it be a problem when i replace it with a flat tyre. Will i be able to drive the car for, let us say, 50 kms on a highway?
This has been the practice for quite sometime wherein most of us only pick up a set of 4 alloys+ tires.

There is nothing to worry about, you can drive you car with the 13 inchers for 50 odd kms without any issues.

BTW I had taken a hit on my cars 15 "alloys during a drive to Kundapur and did the rest of the trip on a 14" stock swift rim. That was close to 1000kms or so, no hiccups all thru the entire drive.
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:48   #257
BHPian

Thanks. That's a relief.
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:14   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay if i have a spare 13", wont it be a problem when i replace it with a flat tyre. Will i be able to drive the car for, let us say, 50 kms on a highway? If the 14" wont fit in the spare tyre space can it still be carried in the main boot?

Although i do want alloys ultimately, i want to split the purchase because of budget constraints, so i was planning to spend about 15-17K (4 tyres + rims) followed by another 15k (6 months later) for alloys.

Another factor is that i like to keep on adding some stuff to my car every now and then rather than having every thing at one go.

Shubham I guess rj's testimony should answer all your question regarding using a stock rim as an emergency option.
Regarding Alloys and tyres, what I would advice you would be to go in for Alloys now and may be secure some used 14" tyres (Since you like altering things in a sequence). See how your car handles with the 14" and then when you feel the time is right, go in for fresh rubber.

I know some of the main delears in Bangalore for Alloys & Rubber. You can PM me in case you need help with the same and we can workout a good discount on the purchase.

You can have a look at the Alloys on my ride (BHP GARAGE). When I had this installed, this pattern was the first in Bangalore!!
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:15   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I am worried about too wide tyres scraping the body. I have read few user reports in tbhp who have done such an upsize but to be honest i am bit skeptical. Is there any other 14 inch tyre that i can go for?

Also, how problematic is fitting a 14 incher in the boot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey Shubaham I would personally suggest you to go in for set of 4 Alloys!!

HERE'S WHY: I had 13" alloys with 175/65 rubber initially on my ride which I had upgraded to 14" ones with 185/60 rubber. I made a mistake of picking up set of 5 14" and could never fit the 5th one in the boot and trust me Santro has a big boot but the space for the spare wheel is just about accurate for a 13" !!
Now I am running on set of 4 15" Alloys with 195/45 rubber and a spare 13" rim and 175/65 rubber as an emergency in the boot.
Also, Alloys are any day better than Rims in Longivity and Looks. Since you would have the spare wheel only as an emergency, retain the best(or unused) wheel of the 5 which you got with your I10 and exchange the 4 rims for a set of 4 Alloys.
Its my Personal Opinion.
Quote:
Okay if i have a spare 13", wont it be a problem when i replace it with a flat tyre. Will i be able to drive the car for, let us say, 50 kms on a highway? If the 14" wont fit in the spare tyre space can it still be carried in the main boot?

Although i do want alloys ultimately, i want to split the purchase because of budget constraints, so i was planning to spend about 15-17K (4 tyres + rims) followed by another 15k (6 months later) for alloys.

Another factor is that i like to keep on adding some stuff to my car every now and then rather than having every thing at one go.

No issues - keep the stock 13 inch tire as spare. I have done the same. In tubeless tires, if its not a sidewall cut, the puncture will not affect driveability for 30-40 kms, and then you can patch up the tire. Also, the issue of dissmilar tires does not arise, as 155/80/R13 and 185/60/R14 has almost the same radius.
185/60R14 DOES NOT brush anywhere EXCEPT front mudflaps (in my case - for which I removed the front mudflaps)

Also, I would suggest that you get tires + alloys at one time.

Last edited by blackasta : 3rd May 2010 at 20:16.
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:43   #260
BHPian

@VIK0728 Thanks, I will P.M you once i finalize what i want to do. Any idea at what % of orignal tyre's price will i get decent used ones(should last for 10K KM more). I just need a rough idea.

@Blackasta: Thanks for clearing my apprehensions. As i mentioned i cannot spend more than 15k at a go so i don't think alloy+tyres can work for me.

If fitting 14" in boot is a problem, what do i10s in UK come with. The stock tyres are 14" (right?).
Old 4th May 2010, 00:48   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@VIK0728 Thanks, I will P.M you once i finalize what i want to do. Any idea at what % of orignal tyre's price will i get decent used ones(should last for 10K KM more). I just need a rough idea.

@Blackasta: Thanks for clearing my apprehensions. As i mentioned i cannot spend more than 15k at a go so i don't think alloy+tyres can work for me.

If fitting 14" in boot is a problem, what do i10s in UK come with. The stock tyres are 14" (right?).

They may come with a donut as spare. Thats the general norm.
Old 4th May 2010, 09:28   #262
Senior - BHPian

[quote=shubhamAT;1867588]@VIK0728 Thanks, I will P.M you once i finalize what i want to do. Any idea at what % of orignal tyre's price will i get decent used ones(should last for 10K KM more). I just need a rough idea.

Shubham when I upgraded to 14" rims a while back I was running on used 14" Apollo tyres and it lasted for about 5ooo Km without any issues. Since I drive around 400km per month, it lasted me for over a year!!
So I'm sure if it lasts you the same, you would have spent enough time and possibly accumulated enough $$ to make the change to new rubber!!
Old 4th May 2010, 11:09   #263
BHPian

My average monthly usage is really low (approx 200kms) so the used ones should last
longer for me.
Old 4th May 2010, 15:17   #264
Senior - BHPian

That's exactly what I meant shubham !! I know couple of dealers in Bangalore from whom we you can source descent used tyres.
They might not be the best rubber on B'lore roads but I can assure you that they should serve the purpose by a long shot!!
Old 16th May 2010, 08:56   #265
BHPian

Tyre Choices for i10

I've driven about 35K on my i10 Kappa's stock bridgestone's (155/80 R-13). These tyres are all but finished - should last another 2-3 months. I'm planning to get alloys and upsize the tyres.

My choices:
  1. 13" alloys for 4100 Rs each + Michelin Xm1+ 175/70 R-13 for 3350 Rs each (Totals 7450 Per wheel)
  2. 14" alloys for 4550 Rs each + Michelin Xm1+ 185/60 R 14 for 3900 Rs each (Totals 8450 Per wheel)
  3. Any combination of a 14" alloy with a cheaper tire (Yokos?) to put the cost within 30K for a set of 4.
  4. Save some serious money and upsize on the steel wheels (again 13" or 14") I can set my budget as high as 5K per tyre in this case (Could get PP2's or Advan's?)

I would prefer if possible within my budget to move to 14" rims for the following reasons - (Guru's please correct my logic if required)
  1. 185/60 R-14 puts the overall dia closest to stock, 175/70 would reduce dia slightly - apart from any speedo error (which is probably negligible) 14" would look better IMHO
  2. Better handling, and slightly less bounce - I don't mind if the ride quality reduces a bit, but increased road noise is not acceptable.
  3. Related to the above, if there is a bus/truck right beside my car - say at a red light, sometimes (although very rarely) there is a vibration which is transmitted to my car causing a slight shimmy/shake visible on my RVM - would this reduce with lower profile tires (read less sidewall flex?)
  4. Of course I get more tread width with the 14"

I do like to take corners without slowing down much, and the occassional highway drive at triple digit speeds, so decent grip/cornering is a must (Though I suppose if i've survived 35K on the stock tires - anything would be an improvement )

Please advise which of my choices makes the most sense

Last edited by adisag : 16th May 2010 at 09:00. Reason: Corrected a typo
Old 16th May 2010, 23:03   #266
BHPian

YokoMomo!

Hi Guys,

This Saturday I decided to get some shoes for My10. I had, already synced upwith Vik0728 so i went straight to A1 Car Center new Lalbagh. Vik and me talked to the guy for some used set but he did not have any in the size we were looking at(185/60R14). I had decided on getting new tyres + steel rims or new alloys + old tyres. Anyways, neither A1 had the tyres nor the choice of alloys he had were very exciting. So Vik lead us to Junction in Jayanagar.

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-pic221.jpg
At the Junction
Here too we could not find used tyres and with little convincing i finally decided to go for new tyres & alloys. I looked through catalogs of Plati, Veloche, Silver something ? But none of them were the "One" i was looking for.

Finally just before calling it quits, Dinesh (Prop. of the shop) showed my a Chrome/Black set with "MOMO CORSE" written on it. I liked them immediately and decided to buy it. Now was the time to get tyres. I wanted Yoko A-Drives though i ultimately decided for Pirelli since the difference was about 300/- per tyre only.
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-pic220.jpg
Picking up the alloys
After settling the bill, a shop employee took us again to A1 Car center for fitting. We had the alloys with us but the tyres had not arrived so waited for another 30mins. When they did arrive they were of the wrong size (185/65) so again I talked to Dinesh who said 185/60 is not available today but Yokos are. Since i initially wanted Yokos so i okayed. Meanwhile, i got the drums and disc painted in black and the caliper in Siver.
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-pic224.jpg
Bare Foot

Finally when the tyres arrived it took about half an hour more to get every thing settled.
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-pic225.jpg
New Tyres
Overall purchase was well over my budget though overall I am very happy with what i have got. Posting few pics for you all to enjoy.

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-pic226.jpg
Close up

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-pic228.jpg
Another View
Old 17th May 2010, 10:01   #267
Senior - BHPian

Shubham it was a long wait and as you have posted, went overboard with your budget !

But as I had adviced you, its ALL WORTH THE EFFORT. Just Look at your ride now bro, it looks Jaw Droppingly Awesome with those 14" Momos!!
The Icing on the Cake...well this is My 100th Post on TBHP!! haha

Last edited by Vik0728 : 17th May 2010 at 10:02.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:09   #268
Senior - BHPian

shubhamAT - great alloys and equally good tires to go with them. Believe me - you have made a GREAT investment!
Old 17th May 2010, 10:30   #269
Senior - BHPian

shubhamAT,Congrats on the new wheel tyre combo. It looks good!
How much did the alloys cost you?
Old 17th May 2010, 12:20   #270
BHPian

@Vik, @blackasta: Thanks a lot guys for your advice. I feel good that i had experts to help me with my decision.

@Sankar: Thanks. Alloys came for about 21k (4 pc)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks