Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 17:38   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

ChangeMyTyre.com : India's 1st Online Tyre Store

ChangeMyTyre.com : India's 1st Online Tyre Store-changemytyre.jpg

ChangeMyTyre.com, India's first online Tyre store, was inaugurated by John Sculley (Ex-CEO of Pepsi and Apple).

You can have tyres shipped directly to your home / office, or to a local "authorised fitment center". The Delhi NCR region will have 15 centers by end June (up from the current 5), while 7 locations in Mumbai & Bangalore are going to be in place by mid-July. Hyderabad and Chennai will soon follow. In 3 months, ChangeMyTyre.com wants to have a network of 40 fitment centers in 7 cities.

ChangeMyTyre.com will deliver to all major Indian cities within 24 - 48 hours.

Brands

They carry all the major brands including Apollo, Bridgestone, Good Year, JK, Michelin, MRF, Pirelli, Yokohama etc. You can search for tyres by vehicle make, tyre brand or tyre size.

Payment:

In cities with ChangeMyTyre.com fitment centres, you pay Rs. 500 or 10% of the total amount (whichever is higher) at the time of placing the order, and the balance at the fitment centre via cash / credit card. Of course, you can also pay the entire bill amount upfront on the website, if you so wish.

Prices

My Random Check : Goodyear Duraplus Tubeless Tyres are listed at Rs. 4,586 (Swift ZXi Size 185/65 R15). I called a reputable tyre dealer and he quoted me a price of Rs. 4,000 for the same tyre. For a set of 5 tyres, ChangeMyTyre.com can work out more expensive by 3,000 bucks!

A major advantage of shopping online is lower pricing, due to lesser overhead & scale. However, that purpose appears to be defeated here.

Pricing includes:

ChangeMyTyre.com pricing includes the price of tyres, delivery to fitment centres, sales taxes / VAT and any applicable Octroi. At their fitment centres, for an order of 4 or more tyres, wheel balancing and alignment are free.

Coming up soon:

• Tyres for 2-wheelers

• Alloy Wheels. Only logical as wheels + tyres go hand in hand. Plus, the design choice at most brick & mortar shops is woefully limited

• A tyre upsize recommendation tool

Recycling & Disposal:

Old tyres left with ChangeMyTyre.com will be given to rubber manufacturers who are able to reclaim rubber from the used tyres. For each tyre, ChangeMyTyre.com will plant a tree. They will also tell you where this tree has been planted.

ChangeMyTyre.com : India's 1st Online Tyre Store-changemytyre2.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2012 at 21:32. Reason: Removing point on delivery as they have now started free deliveries
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 18:14   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: ChangeMyTyre.com : India's 1st Online Tyre Store

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Tyre & Wheels Forum!
Old 7th June 2012, 18:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

I just checked out their website - it's a good thing they are offering search criteria by default manufacturer size and custom size.

I am even more pleasantly surprised to see Daewoo in the list - thought they consider serving even cars not in production anymore. But that surprise vanished when I did not see Opel or Opel cars under Chevrolet. No brownie points from me!

But, as you've pointed out, low cost isn't going to be their selling point. Nor is extra payment for wheel alignment/balancing.

Also, they need to open up stores across India - the tyre market isn't any less competitive; Bridgestone and MRF amongst others already have their brand shops, not to mention very good multi-brand tyre chains.

All said and done, I wonder what the USP of this service is - planting a tree for each tyre sold?!

Would they be a better place to shop for tyres needed for luxury/imports?
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 19:08   #4
BHPian

Well done with the site! Looks matured, although it is recently launched. Hope they do a good job in logistics, as well.

Got to wait for rave reviews before I order from there. :-P
SupratikDebnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 19:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Site looks good and have covered almost all models available in the country. It will help newbie like me to search tyres/approx price and go to the local shop and bargain

I think they should start seperate sec for performance/off-road/all show-no go tyres.

Last edited by Latheesh : 7th June 2012 at 19:22.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 20:14   #6
SAS
BHPian

Good website and very nice initiative to improve the retail of tyres and make retail a little more organized.

What I like:
1. Good website, simple search feature easy to use
2. Multi-brand site having a very exhaustive choice.
3. Very nice to do price comparisons and see your budget.
4. Original products, seems like they shall provide good support too...

What I don't
1. Site seems slow. Maybe because it is getting several hits since it is new.
2. They dont really mention much about each tyre, what is it's selling points, etc. For example, for an Alto, I see the cheapest tyre as ceat milaze, however nothing is mentioned about this type of tyre, what it has to offer,etc. I ended up visiting the manufacturer's website.
3. Prices are on the higher side. They are approx 5-10% higher than normal stores for the Alto tires which I was searching for. Irrespective, this website provides me an excellent tool to compare and select tyres. At the end of the day, I'll buy it at the cheapest and most convenient local shop available.
SAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 20:23   #7
Team-BHP Support

Too expensive
1. You pay 3000rs Extra
2. Often old tires go for 1000-1500rs for a set of 4
So there goes another 1000 rs

Just because something is being done on the 'internet' does not make it great. It has to offer value, and that value is surprisingly missing with these guys
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 21:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a nice site, at least helps you narrow your options. Would have been much better if they'd integrate a tyre calculator for different patch and rim sizes.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 21:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the information GTO.
Incidentally, I became one of their first few customers in NCR (possibly even the first!) when I placed an order with them on May 10th for Yokohama C-Drive tyres for my Yeti (I was sick of the OEM Goodyears and they had become very noisy after 23K Kms).
I had earlier (around 6-7 months back) seen the C-Drives in an outlet, but when I went back again to the same outlet, they said that these were phased out due to the ISI requirements. My search online for these tyres led me to CMT and I thought let's take the plunge - what I liked was that I had to pay only 10% of the money upfront online and the balance on fitting.
The day after I placed the order, I received a call from them acknowledging my order and confirming that the tyres would be available after 3 days.
On the May 14th, I received a call from them that the tyres were available and that I could go and get them installed. So on the afternoon on May 14th, I popped out from office to get my tyres changed (at 1:00 in the afternoon!).
Their fitment centre in Gurgaon is on the joint road of Sec-17-18 with Old Delhi road. It is a small setup called Shyam tyres, a bit old style, but has the required equipment and the person there is decent and professional. There are also prominent branding of CMT visible both inside and outside for customers to know that it is a CMT fitment centre.
The only drawback I felt was that the fitment centre is non-AC and it was a blistering 45 Degrees hot at that time.
Anyway, it took around 1 hour to get all the tyres replaced and balanced and I had to bear the heat till then. I also got my spare space saver tyre swapped with one of the earlier Goodyears as it was speed limited and I was not comfortable with limited speed spares.
After the fitting, I paid the balance 90% amount in cash (there was no card swipe machine yet, and was to be added later - I was informed of this when the CMT team had called me earlier).

So overall, a positive experience and I was able to get the tyres I wanted for my Yeti, and in the stock size.

Their portal and model is quite new and certainly leaves a lot of room for improvement, but I would give kudos to the way the team supported me and was very cooperative.
A little more detail on the experience with the tyres is available on:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2790665

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 7th June 2012 at 21:26.
Behemoth is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 21:36   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

An update as received from the Changemytyre.com management:

Quote:
We have started to offer free delivery and are also extending Rs. 500 discount coupons which can be used for an order for four tyres.
Accordingly, I have removed the line on delivery charges of Rs. 100 / tyre.
Old 7th June 2012, 21:50   #11
Team-BHP Support

The OE sizes are pretty spot on for the cars I searched for but they definitely need a tyre calculator on the site for upsize options.

Also noticed they have Pirellis as an option which is rare in tyre shops.
Old 7th June 2012, 21:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Concept is new and Good but whether it would be a "success" is something we need to wait and watch.

I personally would buy from the nearest authorized dealer (Physical shop)

The following worry me:
  • Internet deals are not straight-forward at least in india. Consumer Forums report issues with Pen-drives(value Rs 200). Who wants to take a chance with 20,000/-. Certainly not me.
  • Installation, alignment and balancing a problem if shipped to me
  • Storage space for 5 tyres needed. (5 pcs of 235/70 would occupy considerable space)
  • Cannot "look" at the product in person before shelling our close to 20,000/-
  • Tension mounts till delivery arrives
  • Damage during transit / at source will have to be "fought-out".
  • Chance of getting a tyre manufactured considerable before. Its best recommended to buy a tyre within 3 months of manufacture at the most.
  • Installation is complimentary in "grade 2" shops for purchases close to Rs. 20,000/- (5 tyres).
  • Cannot haggle for discount
  • Not practical in upgrading shoes on a brand new car(online store does not take your current tyres even if brand new)
  • Need to well versed with tyre sizes and upgrade options. Average Joe does not even know what 155/70 R15 stands for.
Stealing points from our friendly mod tsk1979
  • Higher price than market
  • Old tyres cannot be exchanged
Old 7th June 2012, 22:02   #13
Team-BHP Support

For larger sizes like 17s etc, they have to have slightly better prices than shops. For tire sizes which are common I expect shops to have better prices since they sell so much. I'm certainly going to consider this site when I upgrade any of my tyres.

In fact they should offer buy backs for old tyres, the valuation can be done at the shop once you go for fitment and the total bill can be lowered.
Old 7th June 2012, 22:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Internet deals are not straight-forward at least in india. Consumer Forums report issues with Pen-drives(value Rs 200). Who wants to take a chance with 20,000/-. Certainly not me.
I think they have an option of paying 10% initially and remaining at the fitting center.

But agree, what if the product delivered is not of expected quality or say year of manufacture is more than expected? How will the returns be handled?

Nevertheless interesting concept
Old 7th June 2012, 23:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

I guess many will use this site the same way I use MakeMyTrip and Cleartrip. I find the flights and the rates. Then I go to the site of the carrier and book the tickets. Turns out to be couple of hundred bucks cheaper.

OT: Isn't this John Sculley the same guy who first threw Steve Jobs out of Apple and then grounded the whole company. It was Steve who came back then, rescued and made Apple what it is now.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks