Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2024, 16:58   #211
BHPian

Re: Puncture frauds - How do they work?

This reminds me of this incident from last year from Noida. In the morning I had gone to drop my sister-in-law to her office nearby in the morning. My brother informed me that the pressure was low and I should possibly get the tyre pressure sorted as soon as I can in the morning. So I stopped nearby at the first place I could find. It was a road side stop.

This guy first mentioned that the pressure seems to not increase as he is trying to fill it. He proceeded to point out the valve as faulty. Given I was in a hurry and the risk of running on low pressure, opted-in for a quick replacement instead of discussing further. My intuition said otherwise but I still went for it

When I returned home, my brother asked about it and told me about this common scam across roadside tyre shops. Felt stupid and embarrassed that all this interest in cars, and I didn’t spot this!

Lessons Learned:
  • Avoid roadside shops as much as you can.
  • Always look closely while you are at the tyre shop.
  • Keep a valve tightener with you at all times.
  • A spare valve or two stored in a sealed pack might be better than having to go for a random sub-par option in case of an emergency.
  • Buy a tyre inflator.
  • Buy a puncture repair kit.
SixPistons is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 17:51   #212
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Which puncture shop is this. Please share so that others can avoid it!
This is the place.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/FHLuCQNjBFUNzB2s8

I've bought the below tyre inflator and puncture repair kit.
https://amzn.eu/d/jfpfRXg

https://dl.flipkart.com/s/fadoHCuuuN
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 02:46   #213

I have learned the hard way to never get air filled from a petrol pump or roadside shop. I always look for a proper wheel/tyre shop.
aishwaryamaurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 10:23   #214
BHPian

Same situation here in Gujarat at an HPCL pump that's been in the community for 40+ years and the puncturewalla has been there for at least 30 of those, right across from his shop I had parked my Swift as I was selling the car and showing it to a potential buyer and these guys had deliberately put out a bunch of screws on the ground and once I took the car to the shop in a matter of minutes they found 4 on the wall of the front driver side tyre?
Since I was busy negotiating with the buyer I didn't stay vigilant and faced the consequences.
There's a scam at every corner, we have to be hyper aware of all these shady practices.
I did manage to sell the car to the same buyer though
Old 1st April 2024, 11:52   #215
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have been bit by puncture scam twice and i decided to purchase a portable tyre inflator which i can use at my beck and call rather than going to some puncture shop. On Long trips i keep puncture strip and pliers handy to fix any punctures that i come across. With this i have avoided scams a few times now with most recent being someone mentioning "hawa kam hai" and redirecting me to some puncture shop.
Old 1st April 2024, 12:34   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post

While asking for charges, he demanded ₹100 for taking out the tyre..
No one asks charges for tyre removal. If there were 4 leaks you should not have fixed the tyre it needs to be replaced.
Its best to talk in a firm and suspecting manner when dealing with puncture guys, this may refrain them from doing any thing unwanted to our tyres.

Last edited by silverado : 1st April 2024 at 12:35.
Old 4th April 2024, 16:27   #217
BHPian

Quote:
If there were 4 leaks you should not have fixed the tyre it needs to be replaced.
Hey, it was 1 big leak (not 4 leaks) which took quite a few patches to get it fixed.
I anyways changed the tire the very next day. But at that moment, since the tire was completely deflated, I had no option but to get it fixed temporarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
No one asks charges for tyre removal.
Since no body asks for charges for tire removal, I didn't enquired prior and had no option but to pay when he added these charges later.
abhi_tjet is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 18:43   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Hey, it was 1 big leak
no option but to pay when he added these charges later.
Got it, Thanks. Its best to keep sharing these instances so that someone else on the forum doesnt become the next victim. At times we know we are getting scammed but are left with no option but to comply.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks