Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2014, 20:24   #121
BHPian

Re: Puncture frauds - How do they work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvord12 View Post
My query is, Has this fellow damaged my tyre? Should I replace this tyre with the spare? Or should I go to my trusted tyre shop and get them to seal the punctures from the inside?

The tyres have done only 8300 Km, any advice would be much appreciated.
Well, from your newbie tag, I think you were unaware of this. Hard lesson then. I believe all of these punctures would be on sidewall. People here don't recommend using tyres with sidewall punctures, especially on highway runs.

Even per puncture rate was on higher side. 80 is the normal rate. I believe he punctured the tyre while filling the air the first time or while he dipped the tyre in the water. He might have kept some nail there.

My own way is, I fix my cars tyres on my own. Tubeless punctures are very easy to fix. I never check air at roadside chaps but only at petrol pumps that too standing next to the guy while he fills the air.
Old 17th September 2014, 20:34   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I believe all of these punctures would be on sidewall. People here don't recommend using tyres with sidewall punctures, especially on highway runs.

Even per puncture rate was on higher side. 80 is the normal rate. I believe he punctured the tyre while filling the air the first time or while he dipped the tyre in the water. He might have kept some nail there.

My own way is, I fix my cars tyres on my own. Tubeless punctures are very easy to fix. I never check air at roadside chaps but only at petrol pumps that too standing next to the guy while he fills the air.
No punctures on the sidewall.

But I'm still concerned about the tyre. What should I do? Replace this with the spare or continue using this? Will this 'repair work' last? These are some of the questions that have been bugging me ever since I returned from that puncture walla.
Old 18th September 2014, 04:49   #123
BHPian

Quote:
30 minutes and 9 puncture fixes later, he attaches the wheel.When I ask him how much, he says ₹1,180!
He conveniently forgot to mention that it was ₹120 PER PUNCTURE! I was feeling stupid, embarrassed and most of all very angry. I bargained with him and we settled at ₹1000 (which I still feel is too high).
The above incident is a clear indication that you have been taken for a ride. 9 punctures on a single tyre? Were you not present when the guy was repairing? If you were present, did he not show you the punctures in the tyre before he fixed them up?

And regarding replacing the tyre, I would suggest you to replace it if it is tubelss, because 9 punctures is equal to 9 small holes made on the tyre. If it is a tube tyre, suggest you to change only the tube. But before that, take your car to a trusted puncture shop and get the tyre inspected. If the damage is too much, please go for a change as I have suggested above.
Old 18th September 2014, 07:10   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
The above incident is a clear indication that you have been taken for a ride. 9 punctures on a single tyre? Were you not present when the guy was repairing? If you were present, did he not show you the punctures in the tyre before he fixed them up?
I was present the whole time, while this fellow started fining small minor holes on the tyre. I had no idea how big a puncture should be before it requires fixing.

Unfortunately I realised it too late. I'm new to Pune and had no clue that such scams took place here. Anyway, what's done is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
And regarding replacing the tyre, I would suggest you to replace it if it is tubelss, because 9 punctures is equal to 9 small holes made on the tyre. If it is a tube tyre, suggest you to change only the tube. But before that, take your car to a trusted puncture shop and get the tyre inspected. If the damage is too much, please go for a change as I have suggested above.
Yes, I'll be taking the car to my trusted tyre shop when I go back home. But what do you mean by 'replace'? Replace this one with the spare or buy a new tyre?
Old 18th September 2014, 09:44   #125
BHPian

Quote:
No punctures on the sidewall.

But I'm still concerned about the tyre. What should I do? Replace this with the spare or continue using this? Will this 'repair work' last? These are some of the questions that have been bugging me ever since I returned from that puncture walla.
You have two options. A. If yours is a new car, then the spare would be a good tyre. So exchange this tyre for spare and use it only when one of the tyre suffers a puncture. Use it till you fix that tyres puncture and then again put it back as spare. B. Put a tube in this tyre, if you are concerned if these 9 punctures might hold or not, and use as a regular tyre.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 13:49   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
You have two options. A. If yours is a new car, then the spare would be a good tyre. So exchange this tyre for spare and use it only when one of the tyre suffers a puncture. Use it till you fix that tyres puncture and then again put it back as spare. B. Put a tube in this tyre, if you are concerned if these 9 punctures might hold or not, and use as a regular tyre.
I went to the Goodyear Tyre Service shop near Baner Phata and got the spare fitted on the alloy.

While I was there I spoke with the mechanic, who said that this type of fraud is quite common in all of Pune. After inspecting the tyre he said that I could use this before it suffers a few more punctures and then I'd have to put a tube in it.

Lesson Learnt. I'm NEVER refilling my tyres in Pune!
Old 27th September 2014, 18:36   #127
Senior - BHPian

I am unhappy to tell you guys that I fell for the puncture scam recently even though I was aware of this thread. It happened on the outskirts of Pune after getting off the Expressway where the roads are under construction. Long story short, I ended up shelling out Rs 1500 to repair a 3.5 year old 30000km tyre that I wouldnt even trust anymore.
Even though I kept my eye open I just could not figure out when they punctured the sidewalls of my tyre. I decided to pay and move on without arguing too much because I wanted to save my other tyres from getting screwed by these scamsters and I was at the start of a 500 km road trip and traveling alone with my wife.
Old 28th October 2014, 13:48   #128
Team-BHP Support

Re: The "Sir, you have a puncture" Scam - Hogwash!

The scale of damage carried out by these local roadside puncture repair shops has shot up. A family friend sought help in getting tyres on her i10 replaced. When I met her at the tyre shop, I noticed 5 puncture plugs in the upper side of the side wall, closer to the tread. The moment I saw it, "puncture fraud" came to my mind. Apparently, each time she took the car, they plugged non-existent punctures and she had to get tyres changed not so long ago:

Puncture frauds - How do they work?-img_6767_marked.jpg

The modus operandi is same and the victims are increasing by the day. Please warn your acquaintances to follow two simple rules:

1) Fill air only at reputed fuel bunks who have a working digital pressure monitoring system.

2) Get punctures fixed at reputed tyre dealers. There is one in almost every locality of Pune now. For Baner-Balewadi area residents where this scam seems rampant, there is Darshan tyres in Balewadi and Shree Datta tyres on Baner road (near Post 91).

Another must read thread, coincidentally from Pune: Link

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th October 2014 at 13:52.
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 16:34   #129
Senior - BHPian

I can tell you of one such guy in Koramangala. This guy is in 1st A cross road, the one coming from 100 feet road to 80 feet road, near Jyoti Nivas college. If you go for one, he'll gift you three
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 16:46   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
When I met her at the tyre shop, I noticed 5 puncture plugs in the upper side of the side wall, closer to the tread. The moment I saw it, "puncture fraud" came to my mind. Apparently, each time she took the car, they plugged non-existent punctures and she had to get tyres changed not so long ago:

Attachment 1303446
I'm glad she changed the tyre and didn't balk at the cost. I dread thinking what might have happened if she was on the expressway and hit a kerb/stone with that tyre. I'm sure that many plugs in such a short distance (on the sidewall, no less) will have reduced the integrity of the tyre to dangerous levels!
Old 28th October 2014, 17:53   #131
BHPian

I have been a victim of these frauds several times in the past with my old car. Everytime when I fill air at a roadside pump, they would "identify" one of the tyres as punctured and then they somehow "generate" the punctures.

But after hearing similar stories from my friends and also reading up various incidents in this forum, I have become "smarter". See, the puncturewala would be thinking they are smarter when they cheat but they don't realise that they are eventually killing their own business by making their victims more "smarter".

After I got my new car last year, I also got a few things ...
1. A digital air pressure guage
2. A nice tyre inflator
3. A tubeless tyre puncture repair kit

Now, I can fill air on my own and check the pressure anytime I want. I can use the repair kit to fix the puncture myself or I can get help from my car cleaner to do it. I have never visited any puncturewala in the past two years. One more thing to keep in mind is never ever park your car near a puncture repair shop.

One thing that will kill such puncturewalas business is if all of "us" adopt some best practices and use the above tools. I am wishing that technology evolves a bit more and makes fixing punctures simpler and easier. Already new "puncture proof" and "self inflating" tyres are becoming popular. I think, if these tyres become accessible to all, then it will be like driving the nail into their fraudulent business.
Old 28th October 2014, 18:09   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I have been a victim of these frauds several times in the past with my old car. Everytime when I fill air at a roadside pump, they would "identify" one of the tyres as punctured and then they somehow "generate" the punctures.

But after hearing similar stories from my friends and also reading up various incidents in this forum, I have become "smarter". See, the puncturewala would be thinking they are smarter when they cheat but they don't realise that they are eventually killing their own business by making their victims more "smarter".

After I got my new car last year, I also got a few things ...
1. A digital air pressure guage
2. A nice tyre inflator
3. A tubeless tyre puncture repair kit

Now, I can fill air on my own and check the pressure anytime I want. I can use the repair kit to fix the puncture myself or I can get help from my car cleaner to do it. I have never visited any puncturewala in the past two years. One more thing to keep in mind is never ever park your car near a puncture repair shop.

One thing that will kill such puncturewalas business is if all of "us" adopt some best practices and use the above tools. I am wishing that technology evolves a bit more and makes fixing punctures simpler and easier. Already new "puncture proof" and "self inflating" tyres are becoming popular. I think, if these tyres become accessible to all, then it will be like driving the nail into their fraudulent business.

Can you please give more details like from where you bought these and at what price?
Old 28th October 2014, 18:35   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Can you please give more details like from where you bought these and at what price?
They are all available in snapdeal ..

1. Tyre pressure guage (Costs around Rs. 800 - Rs. 1000)

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/moto...5-in-1/1410929

2. Tyre inflator (Costs between Rs. 1500 to Rs. 2000)

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/auto...12v/1771610176

3. Tubeless tyre puncture repair kit (Costs between Rs. 100 to Rs. 200)

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/auto...umbLabelId:313

Depending on your preference, you can go for various brands or qualities.
Old 28th October 2014, 18:44   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I am wishing that technology evolves a bit more and makes fixing punctures simpler and easier. Already new "puncture proof" and "self inflating" tyres are becoming popular. I think, if these tyres become accessible to all, then it will be like driving the nail into their fraudulent business.
There is such a technology. It's called Slime. I would not recommend it, as even with the balance plus formula, the wheel balancing gets all messed up.

The best bet?
1) Check your tyre pressure often. Invest in a good tyre guage.
2) Invest in a foot pump or an automatic inflator. With today's tubeless tyres they can help carry you to the next genuine repair station without any hassle.

Finally, if you do have atleast some disposable income (~13k):
Go for TPMS. These are really useful.
Even if my initial experience was not that great. It gives the driver up to the minute information.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 19:18   #135
BHPian

Some news articles from BangaloreMirror in last few months on Puncture scam rampant in and around ORR :

"Culprit had converted auto into a mobile tyre repair unit, scattered nails and exploited victims"
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/43356466.cms

Frequent punctures force techies to carry tyre tubes
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/33460213.cms

Techie’s Gandhigiri chronicles narrate a nail-biting adventure
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/41369215.cms

Fix-it guys warned on ‘fixed’ punctures
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/34013702.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks