Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2024, 14:19   #196
BHPian

Re: Puncture frauds - How do they work?

Recently my one and a half year old Kushaq, driven 12,000 KMs had a puncture. The instrument cluster showed a pressure loss warning right as I stepped out of my society and I had parked the car in my basement. I was using my air filling machine to maintain the pressure after every 2-3 days.

After a week or so, I went to a tyre shop near Kundanhalli gate to get it fixed. I was asked to wait for 45 mins then I left. I drove around looking for a puncture guy and finally parked at one between Hoodi metro station and Kia showroom in Whitefield. The guy asked me to rotate the wheel. I went in and did that. After I came back, he showed me a nail in the tyre and also, 3 small punctures on side wall. I was a bit stunned to see the side wall punctures & was left wondering how it happened. Anyways, I got them fixed and went home thinking that tyre will now need to be immediately replaced (pic attached).

However, I kept thinking of it. It didn't fit in my mind that a tyre with four punctures kept a significant amount of pressure for 2-3 days. I went back and asked him if he did some foul play with the car - he obviously denied.

A week after this, I started for my morning run late, around 9.30 am. I usually cross that place on my run. As I approached the place, I saw that the guy was applying the same trick on an Innova owner. The Innova guy was rotating the wheel and lo! this guy has placed a Muslin cloth on the tyre and made 2 punctures on it right in front of my eyes. I don't carry my mobile while running else would have filmed it!

I told this to the Innova owner. The puncture guy simply refused. Same case - one nail and two punctures made by this guy. I asked the puncture guy to test the tyre. He started throwing normal water on it. When I asked him to throw water with detergent, he said this is sufficient. Even the Innova owner started getting impatient. I left and continued with my run. I found a Kirana shop near Hoodi metro station and bought a pouch of shampoo. Came back and asked the Innova guy to ask the shop owner to throw it at tyre after mixing water. He did that and lo! the punctures were there where I was saying.

The car owner got angry and a verbal fight ensued. I kept telling the guy to lodge a police complaint and I would be the witness. He kept on hanging it on fire. So I left for the run. While I was returning, I saw the Innova owner go. He had kept the puncture guy's phone. Perhaps they had some agreement about the replacement of tyre. I was super angry with this person. I helped him to protect others but he took care of his own case and ran away.

Anyways, I learnt a lesson - never let anyone come near your tyre without they being in complete sight. I hope my experience helps everyone. Knew a bit about tyres, so changed tyres but for more gullible junta, this can be the difference between life, injury or perhaps even death.

Puncture frauds - How do they work?-1000052985.jpg

Last edited by abhishek_hch : 10th February 2024 at 14:26. Reason: Typos
abhishek_hch is offline   (127) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 10:30   #197
BHPian

Thanks for being the good samaritan. You did all you could!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_hch View Post
Anyways, I learnt a lesson - never let anyone come near your tyre without they being in complete sight. I hope my experience helps everyone. Knew a bit about tyres, so changed tyres but for more gullible junta, this can be the difference between life, injury or perhaps even death.

Attachment 2571362
TallBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 11:06   #198
BHPian

Reminded me of this incident which happened to me on 31st Dec '23. Yes, my last puncture of previous year. We were happily cruising to Udaipur and was about to reach Kota in an hour. Around 10am, the TPMS (aliexpress one) gave an alarm in rear right tyre of a rapid air loss. 34 psi to 24 psi in 2-3 seconds, drove me onto panic mode.

On inspection, I could hear sound of air gushing through and a huge nail jutting out of tyre.Some petrol pump staff nearby told of a puncture shop 300 meters ahead.

While fixing puncture the object was a portion of a screwdriver and made a huge hole in tyre. The puncture-wala was trying to retain the metal bit with him , which I managed to throw away to a ditch. Wasted 40 minutes and 200 rs and I was off.

Puncture frauds - How do they work?-20231231_095129.jpg

While I thanked my stars that the puncture didn't appear during early morning while I was driving through remote areas in thick fog with family, the behavior of puncture guy, and proximity of his shop, gave an impression that the item was planted.
maheshm619 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 11:18   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshm619 View Post
Reminded me of this incident which happened to me on 31st Dec '23. Yes, my last puncture of previous year. We were happily cruising to Udaipur and was about to reach Kota in an hour. Around 10am, the TPMS (aliexpress one) gave an alarm in rear right tyre of a rapid air loss. 34 psi to 24 psi in 2-3 seconds, drove me onto panic mode.

On inspection, I could hear sound of air gushing through and a huge nail jutting out of tyre.Some petrol pump staff nearby told of a puncture shop 300 meters ahead.

While fixing puncture the object was a portion of a screwdriver and made a huge hole in tyre. The puncture-wala was trying to retain the metal bit with him , which I managed to throw away to a ditch. Wasted 40 minutes and 200 rs and I was off.

Attachment 2572174

While I thanked my stars that the puncture didn't appear during early morning while I was driving through remote areas in thick fog with family, the behavior of puncture guy, and proximity of his shop, gave an impression that the item was planted.
Same thing happened to me! My tyre was punctured by a screw driver with the screw driver still in the tyre when I reached the puncture shop. My screw driver though was very bent and I thanked god that it had not caused a cracked in the alloy.
vaibhavyagnik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 12:06   #200
ais
BHPian

I've had this trick attempted at the IOC petrol pump at the SV Road/WEH junction, Mumbai (https://maps.app.goo.gl/vzvgaaEC5tGiLBeS6).

However, since I never leave the car unattended, during a puncture repair, I saw the repair chap trying to pierce the side wall of the tyre. I stopped him, complained to the manager of the pump, took Rs.500/- from them, and had the chap fired.

Had a similar issue at IOC pump, BKC (https://maps.app.goo.gl/uHAM9iyAqq24DYCdA). I got the punctures repaired and did not pay the chap.

If I may generalize, we Indians are rather docile, and forgiving. If all of us take immediate action, we would all benefit.

Last edited by ais : 13th February 2024 at 12:10.
ais is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 12:28   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Though I hear tires being punctured by puncture repair guys, but shouldn't it require a lot of strength & effort since tire rubber is not all that soft and thin after all. It certainly cannot be done in a split second is what I believe. Any ideas if these guys are using any particular tool for accomplishing this fraud?

On the other hand, tire valves can be certainly damaged near the stem and is slightly easier than punching a hole in the tire. I have experienced a guy doing so, but since I didn't have a proof, I had to bear the cost of changing the valve and learning a lesson of avoiding topping up air from roadside shops.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 12:34   #202
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2571362
Hi abhishek_hch, thanks for trying to the right thing. Its also a learning for others. As you have mentioned Kundalhalli, so I assume you are somewhere close by. There is a puncture shop at the HP petrol pump, next to the Brookfield mall, who seems to be decent and atleast does not try such stuff. However I am also always careful and always standing beside him keeping a close watch.
swarnava.ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 13:25   #203
BHPian

I've had my shares of getting scammed by puncture wallahs. The modus operandi is simple..once you go to a non trusted roadside operator for air filling, he will inevitably declare the tyre to have punctures.

Then on inspection, he will discover punctures or induce punctures. Either way, you have to pay for fixing punctures from where he makes the big bucks.

Since then I'm careful. I only go to trusted shops for air filling. I fill Nitrogen which keeps the tyre cooler.

On occasions I need to get air filled from unknown shops and they discover puncture, I refuse giving some reason and get away
SidTheChamp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 13:39   #204
BHPian

Thanks for the heads-up!
I go to the very same place and while the guy keeps his innocent poker face, I have also noticed that he invariably points out to very thin puncture in the car and now I am not even sure if the very first time I visited him to repair a puncture was also caused by him while filling up air.
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 17:10   #205
BHPian

This is a common scam at the puncture stores adjacent to the petrol bunks in Gurgaon [Golf Course Extension Road].

In my case, i was told some 3-4 punctures [mushroom type] were needed & that the total cost would be Rs 1,100. I was not convinced & continued with the spare running as the main until i visited an authorised & well known MRF store.
I was told the tyre cannot hold any type of puncture repairs & the only way to use was with a tube.
Thankfully i was saved from this scam & have decided to never resort to road side puncture walas. I'd rather wait & go to a branded tyre store.
FIAT3031 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 01:04   #206
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Knew a bit about tyres, so changed tyres but for more gullible junta, this can be the difference between life, injury or perhaps even death.
I've faced a similar incident at a puncture shop.

I was quite vigilant, when he told, he wanted to remove the tyre for repairing a tubeless puncture.

Holding the tyre in left hand, they apply soap liquid from the other hand. While you focus on the soap, puncture the side wall from left hand.

He had a waste cloth, with a sharp nail kind of instrument, fixed into it. I knew something was wrong, but kept silent to catch him red handed and teach him a lesson.

After inspection, he showed me two punctures, one in thread and one in side wall. He safely landed the cloth he had, inside the drawer.

I angrily, went inside, opened the drawer, picked up the cloth and called the cops (100). I immediately called my assistant and a friend to the spot. Cops arrived to the spot, I narrated the incident with evidence to them. (He got a nice slap from the cop)

I demanded a new tyre right away, he said, he would repair, I adamantly demanded a new tyre and to be fixed immediately.

Sent my friend along with cop and culprit to nearby store, there, he fixed a new yoko Earth1 and paid for it.

More than the tyre, I was happy that he lost money and respect.
bkc is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 01:13   #207
BHPian

Indeed, the air refill guys sometimes induce punctures and also suggest a faulty valve to induce you for repair / replacement.

I have stopped having this nuisance since I got myself a tyre inflator a couple of years back. So I am able to completely derisk such situations.
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 11:13   #208
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

The puncture-wala may have wanted to keep the screwdriver blade to use as a tool. Some screwdrivers have interchangeable bits that can be fitted or removed from the handle. I have a kit with 6 blades and one handle.
Or, of course, he may have wanted to throw it back on the road to get another repair !
Any other bit of scrap could be used to the same effect.
Old 16th February 2024, 11:20   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
I've faced a similar incident at a puncture shop.
Wow! Justice served right away. Kudos to you!

Which puncture shop is this. Please share so that others can avoid it!
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 15:49   #210
BHPian

It has been a long time since I got my tyres checked for air pressure in India ( in USA, anyways we have to do it ourselves using quarters in the gas station as there will not be any attendant).

I prefer to fill air at my home once in a month when the tyres are cold.

I bought the tyre inflator in Amazon and it is always in the car.

I had a bad experience at a gas station when the attendant who filled the air filled 10 PSI more as the machine was calibrated wrongly or not maintained properly. I complained to the manager but he said that it is calibrated properly even though I showed him the air pressure using my gauge in front of him. These guys have no clue that it is a huge risk to drive over inflated tyres at 3 digit speeds which can lead to tyre bursting due to excess heat.

MICHELIN 4X4/SUV Digital Tyre... https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07THV6XJ6?...p_mob_ap_share

Last edited by Mystic : 16th February 2024 at 15:55.
Mystic is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks