Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2013, 11:34   #106
Senior - BHPian

I think the simple thing to avoid such situations is to avoid going to puncture wallahs unless you have a puncture.Best is to go to trusted fuel bunks or get your own foot pump etc.
Old 6th October 2013, 09:29   #107
BHPian

Re: Puncture frauds - How do they work?

On October-2nd I too became victim of this fraud. I noticed the pressure in driver side tyre is bit less and stopped for checking the same. The puncture shop guy checked and said it is a puncture. Then he dismantled the tire and during inspection, he found out 14 punctures . I got a call and looks like he took the advantage of this situation.

Now I am pretty sure that these are all made by that idiot. unfortunately I did not notice this thread before.

Today again the pressure found low, so again took to another shop and he explained me about the fraud. Many of the punctures are on side wall so I have changed the tyre with spare. Looks like I have to get a new tyre.

It was happened in a shop in front of Swaraj Garden, Pimple Sudagar. So mates be careful.
Old 6th October 2013, 12:23   #108
BHPian

My friend also faced a similar issue with his bike. He want to fill air and was told "shayad puncture hai sahab", so my friend asked him to check and confirm. On checking he found 8 punctures :shocked and this when he had just gone to fill air.
He had no option but to change the tube.
This happened somewhere in the Pimple Saudagar area, not sure of the exact location.
Old 6th October 2013, 20:33   #109
Senior - BHPian

My two cents: In my car ownership and driving experience of around 12 years, I have yet to come across any such 'malpractice'. However what I have observed is sometimes the nails aren't detectable because their heads are severed and they look just like stone particles lodged between the treads. It's only when you take a screwdriver and try to dislodge it that you discover they aren't stones but nails or some similar objects which have penetrated the rubber. Getting them out is difficult as you need a good set of pliers and probably a sharp probing object.

Also with tubeless tyres it's easy to not notice any punctures because in most cases the tyre doesn't lose air, or loses it very gradually. I have ridden on punctured tyres happily for a few thousand kilometres only to discover the nails during the tyre rotation and alignment exercise.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 21:14   #110
BHPian

Looks like this type of fraud is very common in Pune. Can we start posting some of the reliable shops from our experience? I think it will help us to stay safe from this fraud.
Old 6th October 2013, 21:40   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Looks like this type of fraud is very common in Pune. Can we start posting some of the reliable shops from our experience? I think it will help us to stay safe from this fraud.
While coming from Swargate Bus depot to the Swargate flyover (over the seven loves chowk) on the left side just at the start of the flyover there is a small puncture wala very notorious indeed. I just wanted to fill air in my Vista's tyre and tyrewalla said "Sahab aapka valve leak kar raha hai naya lagwa doon sirf 150 rs lagega" Luckily I had got down of the car as usually I do while filling petrol or air in the tyres. But I saw one guy filling air on the left front tyre of my car and the other guy bent on the diagonally opposite side tyre. I remembered this thread and went to the other side, the guy got up and started talking to another guy as if he was doing nothing. I suspect he was trying to puncture the tyre. I told them I dont need a new valve let it be. Paid 10 Rs for the air and drove off. Till now I have no problem of any sorts with any tyre.

Another person I met who owns a wagon R, his tyre was punctured 14 times and he had to take a second hand tyre/tube from the puncture wala for which he charged him 1200 Rs!

Lesson:Always fill air at petrol bunks who give free air and do not attend to punctures. Dont go to the puncture wala just outside the petrol bunk, he might be keen in looting you.
Also always get down everytime you fill air and fuel. You are saved from a lot of trouble like filling petrol in a diesel car!
Old 7th October 2013, 12:07   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Lesson:Always fill air at petrol bunks who give free air and do not attend to punctures. Dont go to the puncture wala just outside the petrol bunk, he might be keen in looting you.
Also always get down everytime you fill air and fuel. You are saved from a lot of trouble like filling petrol in a diesel car!
Oops, there is a catch here!
Most of the petrol bunks with free air machine never have the apparatus running.
Not surprisingly there is usually a tyre walla squatting just outside such bunks ...
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 09:30   #113
BHPian

Last Saturday, while coming back from office I stopped at a puncture repair shop to check the tire pressure. I was planning to go to Mumbai so thought to get the pressure checked. I stopped at the shop adjacent to Bajaj Auto's Yamunanagar gate and the chap started filling air. While filling the air in co-passenger side tire, he asked when did you check the air pressure last time? The tire is not holding air and looks like a puncture. As there was abnormality during driving, I said, I am taking the car now and will get it repaired bit later.

Later took the car to another shop which is close to our home and asked him to check the tire pressure. He checked and said everything alright. Then I told him the earlier story and he said as there is a tire puncture shop in every nook and corner, they have to engage in such practices to sustain.

Sunday I took the cat to Mumbai and covered 350Kms. Till now no issue.
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 21:57   #114
BHPian

After reading this thread, it seems that the Fraud Puncturewallas are getting smarter. I had a similar experience while driving from Pune to Konkan at Bavdhan. We left in the evening for konkan and I decided to check the tyre pressure on the way. The puncture guy pointed out to one of the tyres and said that it had a puncture. Just to be safe, I asked him to check it. All the time, I did not have my eyes off him. When he checked the tyre for punctures in his water tank, there were 10 punctures!! As time was of essence, I got it fixed and drove off.
How this fraud works:
In the water well (where they check your tyre for punctures) they have attached pins on the inside. When they roll the tyre, they immerse it with force. Yokohama's have thin side walls so they are the best target for this fraud. IMHO a pin hole puncture wont even bother in a car tyre as it will take care of itself. So, if any of you, ever, get into such a situation, don't fix the punctures there, just fill up air and drive to a puncture shop you trust.
raghuvir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 10:32   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuvir View Post
How this fraud works:In the water well (where they check your tyre for punctures) they have attached pins on the inside. When they roll the tyre, they immerse it with force.
Did you physically see or feel these 'pins' ? Or is it an assumption ?
Old 31st July 2014, 13:45   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Did you physically see or feel these 'pins' ? Or is it an assumption ?
No, I have not physically seen it. This was told to me by friend, and I believe him as the punctures are almost on the same radius and merely 4-5 inches apart.
Old 17th September 2014, 16:41   #117
BHPian

This thread has been really insightful. Infact, after reading this, I realize that I have been scammed multiple times in last 8 years. I cannot recall a single time when during last 8 years, a puncture did not require a new tube. I used to wonder whether quality of tyre/ tubes have deteriorated. But now I know.

Recently, I noticed that my front left tyre was losing pressure. I usually monitor pressure every 3-4 weeks and this tyre would always be at 25 PSI whereas all the others would be 29 or 30 PSI. I keep 30 PSI on my Ecoport. Other day I noticed a nail in the tread area and knew this was probably the culprit.

So when I got time, I went to the petrol bunk for air fill. There is also a puncture walla there. Show him the nail and ask him to repair the tyre. He suggests to remove the tyre for repair. I ask him why, as it can be repaired there itself. His reply is that he can do a comprehensive test, as there might be more nails. Politely refuse. Using the puncture repair kit, he took hardly 15 seconds to fix it and charged 100 bucks. I topped up air and left.

Guys, its very easy to use the repair kit and we should all explore this DIY option. Planning to order one for myself. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Last edited by risga : 17th September 2014 at 16:41. Reason: typo correction
Old 17th September 2014, 17:12   #118
Senior - BHPian

'nail mafia' - Techie’s Gandhigiri
Quote:
It seems a techie who has spent months surviving multiple instances of flat tyres on this stretch maintained a diary of his travails. Aptly known as 'Nail Chronicles', his diary speaks of his initial struggles with the contrived accidents, and his eventual kick-off of a campaign to clean up the road himself — a Gandhigiri of sorts to make a larger point.

He is now the (unfortunately not the 'proud' sort) owner of 1.5 kg of similar-looking nails which he hopes to present to the police as proof to nail the, well, nail mafia. Till date, he has combed the 6 km Outer Ring Road (ORR) stretch four times!
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 17:33   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Guys, its very easy to use the repair kit and we should all explore this DIY option. Planning to order one for myself. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif
It is NOT easy to use the repair kit. It requires immense amount of torque in your hand to insert the puncture repair strip in your tire. If at all you want to try, make sure you are very near to a puncture shop, so that when you give up and get drained of all the energy by trying to insert that stupid strip into the thick tire, you can call the puncture walla over and he will insert it for you.

In case of adrenaline rush, maybe one can do it. But otherwise it is very hard :(
Old 17th September 2014, 17:51   #120
BHPian

Looks like I got scammed for the first time after coming to Pune.

I had gone to a restaurant in Hinjewadi and while going back to the car, the valet mentioned that there might be a puncture in the front right tyre. I then started looking for a petrol pump and came across one just ahead, but there was no free air machine or at least I was unable to spot one. My friend then spotted a tyre-walla near him and we took the car there.

I ask him to check the pressure and after he does this, says "Saab hawa nahin jaa raha hain. Puncture hain tyre mein."

Now I'm a real newbie when it comes to punctures and since I have a weekly trip back home, to Mumbai, I decided not to risk it, with the whole Expressway runs back and forth.

So I asked him how much time would it take to repair, and he says 10 minutes and ₹120 max. I give him the go ahead and he takes the tyre off. I follow and keep and eye on him, but then he starts discovering one puncture after the other like there's no tomorrow. 30 minutes and 9 puncture fixes later, he attaches the wheel.

When I ask him how much, he says ₹1,180!

He conveniently forgot to mention that it was ₹120 PER PUNCTURE! I was feeling stupid, embarrassed and most of all very angry. I bargained with him and we settled at ₹1000 (which I still feel is too high).

Now, I religiously fill up/refill nitrogen every week at a trusted tyre shop near my home. This Sunday when I filled up again, he didn't mention any sort of puncture. The only trip I did this week was the Mumbai - Pune one and my car was parked for the last 2 days. I even had the car serviced 1 week ago with the wheel rotation and balancing. I find it really hard to believe that the 9 punctures this fellow found were all caused in a time span of 2 days.

My query is, Has this fellow damaged my tyre? Should I replace this tyre with the spare? Or should I go to my trusted tyre shop and get them to seal the punctures from the inside?

The tyres have done only 8300 Km, any advice would be much appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks