Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2014, 17:33   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
I was about to pick up st3 for my Jetta but my dealer lured me into buying pirelli which were 2k cheaper a piece. I am loving them.
Now here is something that might give you some sleepless nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
My tyres and car are now 9 months old. I had gone straight from the showroom after getting delivery of the car to the tyre shop and swapped the OEM tyres.

One got damaged when about 3 months old - it got a nice big bump in the sidewall when I put that wheel into a crater I couldn't see at night on a regular city road. I made that the spare and made the spare the running wheel (remember I purchased a 16" alloy because I didn't want a mini spare; so all 5 wheels and tyres are the same).

The front left got a cut in the sidewall at about 6 months; no idea how that happened. Still using that tyre, the tyre shop where I got them said it was ok to continue using it. I'm leery of long drives though; one with a sidewall cut, one with a sidewall bump, and only 3 reliable tyres. Too risky. April first week have to go to another tyre store and check as to what to do. Throw more good money after bad (replace the two with new P7s) or buy two of a different brand and live with the difference. Damned either way.

Oddly, I bought the P7s after a bit of research. People here actually had good experiences. They're probably not good for bad roads, which are plenty here, plus the Linea is a heavy car.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 18:03   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Now here is something that might give you some sleepless nights.
Don't know which model Pirelli paras211 got, though. A different model is fairly certain to have different characteristics.
Old 3rd April 2014, 18:32   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
If CPC2 are so good, why did you not want to repeat them???
Maybe he expected the 3STs to be far better but they turned out to be more or less similar.

Sadly you cannot test drive tires like you test drive cars........ so you never know until you buy& put them on your car or drive another Cruzer with 3STs
Old 3rd April 2014, 21:14   #109
BHPian

I got the p7 let's see how they turn out.
Old 4th April 2014, 11:57   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Don't know which model Pirelli paras211 got, though. A different model is fairly certain to have different characteristics.
Your question is answered here.
I'm only trying to say that it is very subjective issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
I got the p7 let's see how they turn out.
Old 4th April 2014, 14:11   #111
BHPian

The tires feel great and are grippy. Where I used to have the tc going wild in first gear. It does not come on with these tires. I have had no problems yet but I have only done 600kms.
The performance of the tire is good. Only thing suspect is the reliability.
Old 19th April 2014, 21:39   #112
BHPian

Hey, recently I had 2 of my Goodyear NCT5 gone kaput on ny Skoda Superb. Both suffered from side wall damage. Thr road noise is also way too much from these tyres so I'm thinking of getting a new set of all 4 tyres.
Stock size is 205/55R16, but because of bad(read VERY bad) roads I'm thinking of upsizing my tyres for higher sidewall. I was thinking of 205/60R16. Thanks to the wide gap between tyres and wheel arch won't create any problems (Or will it?).
So for 205/60 R16 I'm stuck between Primacy 3ST and CPC2.
Both of these tyres are almost equally good in comfort. Main choice comes down to sidewall strength. Can anyone tell me which one of them has better sidewalls? As 3ST are specifically made for Asia region and I've read some pretty depressing experiences regarding CPC2 in this thread. So I'm leaning towards 3ST. Should I go for 3ST?
Please help me. Thank you.
Old 19th April 2014, 23:27   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.kushagra View Post
Hey, recently I had 2 of my Goodyear NCT5 gone kaput on ny Skoda Superb. Both suffered from side wall damage. Thr road noise is also way too much from these tyres so I'm thinking of getting a new set of all 4 tyres.
How much had the tyres run? how old were they? How did the side wall get damaged - Did it hit anything?

Quote:
Stock size is 205/55R16, but because of bad(read VERY bad) roads I'm thinking of upsizing my tyres for higher sidewall. I was thinking of 205/60R16.
I personally like this up-size. It increases GC by 5mm and also reduces ODO error, since the ODO error usually will be +5% with the stock tyres.

Quote:
Both of these tyres are almost equally good in comfort. Main choice comes down to sidewall strength. Can anyone tell me which one of them has better sidewalls? As 3ST are specifically made for Asia region and I've read some pretty depressing experiences regarding CPC2 in this thread. So I'm leaning towards 3ST. Should I go for 3ST?
You already have the answer.

Go for 3ST since you usually drive on bad roads. All the best!
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 00:55   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Go for 3ST since you usually drive on bad roads. All the best!
Thanks Chetan for your advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
How much had the tyres run? how old were they? How did the side wall get damaged - Did it hit anything?
Those tyres ran just 13k kms and were 2.5 years old.
As I said the roads are very bad in my area, they have had a few ugly bumps at high speeds now and then. My dad is a bit of what I'd say a rash driver. He seldom slows down on bumps and potholes.
Due to that sidewall bulging was present on 3 tyres out of 5(including spare). The bumps are so bad that my front left alloy's inside edge was bent and air leaked between the alloy and tyre. Its at the workshop since 2 days for repair.

Driving around with 3 sidewall damaged tyres is very dangerous and I don't feel confident when going on short excursions but now it will be driven mostly by me so I thought of getting the upgrade!
Old 20th April 2014, 02:14   #115

Quote:
Hey, recently I had 2 of my Goodyear NCT5 gone kaput on ny Skoda Superb. Both suffered from side wall damage..

Both of these tyres are almost equally good in comfort. Main choice comes down to sidewall strength.

Can anyone tell me which one of them has better sidewalls? As 3ST are specifically made for Asia region and I've read some pretty depressing experiences regarding CPC2 in this thread. So I'm leaning towards 3ST. Should I go for 3ST?
I am sure Goodyear NCT5 has stronger sidewalls compared to both the tyres you are about to choose from (Michelin P3 ST and CPC2).

I have bought P3 ST and I must say, they are just fantastic in all aspects and are silent too. Not sure how they would fare on Indian roads in the long run, with respect to sidewall damage.

A friend of mine has been using CPC2 for the past 15k+ kms and he is mighty impressed by those tyres and has faced not even a single issue pertaining to sidewall, whereas another person has managed to get a sidewall cut on his P3ST within 6k kms. It seems he just brushed the kerb stone while parking the car.

Having said that, irrespective of the brand of tyre, a bit of caution can save the damage. Good luck !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-1397940251202.jpg  

imranshks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 11:30   #116
BHPian

What about Bridgestone Turanza GR90 or Goodyear Assurance?
Goodyear Assurance comes with unconditional warranty. That means tyre damage is also included. Need to check in with the dealer what's exactly covered and what not.

The roads here are all broken up badly. There are loads of gravel, pebbles and small stones scattered on most of the roads. Potholes are unforgiving.

I am now seriously confused cause P3ST will cost around 10k/tyre which, from my point of view, are pretty expensive.

My main preferences are strong sidewall and comfort(which I know are just opposite to each other )

Help me experts
Old 20th April 2014, 15:58   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Goodyear Assurance comes with unconditional warranty. That means tyre damage is also included. Need to check in with the dealer what's exactly covered and what not.
Bridgestone Tyre's are a better bet. They have stronger side wall and also last longer.

You do not have to even think about comfort on those roads. If the side walls of Bridgestone also gets damaged, you may need complete steel wheel...
Old 21st April 2014, 00:40   #118
Senior - BHPian

I am using the GR90 in 16" size and these are great tires, however as far as I know the company has stopped importing these since the last nearly one plus year so be very careful what you are buying in to.

At this time looking at the road conditions at your place it seems that Goodyear Assurance is your best bet. The same design is sold all over South/South East Asia and is meant for areas with average to bad roads. Infact now there is also the "Assurance Fuel Max" it adds on to the Assurance's features, see if you can get this. It promises to give the best of both Worlds the same as what you are looking for.

http://www.goodyear.co.in/tyre_detai...e_code=fuelmax

Quote:
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 00:45   #119
BHPian

Thanks khoj for the update on GR90.

Assurance Fuel Max isn't available in 205/60R16.
I'll be getting GY Assurance 205/60R16 most probably.

Thank you guys for your valuable inputs.
Old 7th May 2014, 11:57   #120

Just got Primacy 3 ST for my Jetta. Lets see how this goes...

Choice was between P7 and Primacy 3 ST. P7 was not too sure; though read about some good corrections done for the Primacy 3 ST.
Replaced the stock GoodYear NCT 5 tyres early, had some concerns on the sudden braking beyond 80 kmph.

Most Viewed