Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2014, 11:34   #61

re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

I have booked the ANHC with cvt transmission VX variant and am suppose to get the delivery by 1st week of march as told to me by the dealer.
Also i am planning to upgrade the tyres as soon as i get the car, so i need some experts advice on the following:

1) What is the best tyre upsize for the ANHC? (195/60 15 or 185/55 16)
Note: the latter size is being used in thailand and malaysia where the ANHC was just launched.
2) Will i need to upgrade the alloy rims if i go for the tyre size recommended?
3) How will it affect the ride quality, speed and braking of the car?
4) Which is a best tyre available in above sizes from pirelli, bridgestone or michelin(xm2, primacy lc or primacy 3st) and also recommend me the model number of the tyre along with the brand?
Old 1st February 2014, 14:50   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarrungta View Post
I have booked the ANHC with cvt transmission VX variant and am suppose to get the delivery by 1st week of march as told to me by the dealer.
Also i am planning to upgrade the tyres as soon as i get the car, so i need some experts advice on the following:

1) What is the best tyre upsize for the ANHC? (195/60 15 or 185/55 16)
Note: the latter size is being used in thailand and malaysia where the ANHC was just launched.
2) Will i need to upgrade the alloy rims if i go for the tyre size recommended?
3) How will it affect the ride quality, speed and braking of the car?
4) Which is a best tyre available in above sizes from pirelli, bridgestone or michelin(xm2, primacy lc or primacy 3st) and also recommend me the model number of the tyre along with the brand?
1. Based on an earlier post on this thread, the 195/60 15 is the easiest upgrade for the ANHC. 185/55 16 is the best in terms of percentage deviation from the original but requires upgrade to the alloy rin.2
2. 195/60 15 will work fine on the existing alloy whereas the 185/55 16 requires an upgrade of the alloy rim as well.
3. The larger tyre should provide a better stability at higher speeds. The Honda Technician I spoke to all also said, the steering could become slightly stiffer at lower speeds due to larger tyres. Another benefit of 195/60 15 is an increase in GC by about 3-4 mm.
4. I did some research and I am planning to go for Michelin XM2. The Primacy LC based on some articles I read wears out faster. Primacy 3ST is the newest of the lot and provides better grip and low noise. As recommended on this thread, I am going for 195/60 R15.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:33   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
1. Based on an earlier post on this thread, the 195/60 15 is the easiest upgrade for the ANHC. 185/55 16 is the best in terms of percentage deviation from the original but requires upgrade to the alloy rin.2

2. 195/60 15 will work fine on the existing alloy whereas the 185/55 16 requires an upgrade of the alloy rim as well.

3. The larger tyre should provide a better stability at higher speeds. The Honda Technician I spoke to all also said, the steering could become slightly stiffer at lower speeds due to larger tyres. Another benefit of 195/60 15 is an increase in GC by about 3-4 mm.

4. I did some research and I am planning to go for Michelin XM2. The Primacy LC based on some articles I read wears out faster. Primacy 3ST is the newest of the lot and provides better grip and low noise. As recommended on this thread, I am going for 195/60 R15.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion.
But there is 1 more thing i want to know:
What are the benefits of 195/60 15 tyres over the 185/55 16 and vice versa?

This will make my decision easier so please help me.....!!!
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:53   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarrungta View Post
Thanks a lot for your suggestion.
But there is 1 more thing i want to know:
What are the benefits of 195/60 15 tyres over the 185/55 16 and vice versa?

This will make my decision easier so please help me.....!!!
Hi sagarrungta,
The answers to all your questions are explained in detail by our mod Vidyut in previous page. Please feel free to browse through to avoid redundancy. Here is the link for that particular post.

Last edited by narsi_6989 : 3rd February 2014 at 13:57.
Old 4th February 2014, 21:24   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Great! Thanks for the info - I will consider the 195/60R15 now So I guess I need to decide between XM2 and 3ST. I got a quote of 5950 for XM2 and 6150 for 3ST.
Since now you have gone with XM2 and your friend has gone with 3ST, (though on previos generation, I'm assuming its 195/60R15 as well), it'll be good if you can provide 1st hand experience on ride quality of XM2 v/s 3ST in terms of comfort and grip specially on the Bangalore potholes
Old 6th February 2014, 19:24   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Since now you have gone with XM2 and your friend has gone with 3ST, (though on previos generation, I'm assuming its 195/60R15 as well), it'll be good if you can provide 1st hand experience on ride quality of XM2 v/s 3ST in terms of comfort and grip specially on the Bangalore potholes
Did 110 kmph yesterday and the car was very stable with the XM2
You can bring in 5th gear at 55-60 kmph and move to 6th gear by 75-80 kmph. I cannot compare with the stock tyres since I drove only some 6 km with stock tyres and changed immediately. Yet to try Cruise Control...
Old 14th February 2014, 02:58   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
My suggestion: Insist on getting your car with Michelin tires.
Hi Shreyans

When you say 'Insist' - you mean the dealer or Honda? Any idea whether the dealer has any say in what tires go on the car finally delivered to the buyer? I asked Ring Road Honda in Gurgaon - they said that whatever tires come mounted from Honda will be final and they will not buy the tires back, however a previous gen City owner present there mentioned that another dealer had accommodated a request for Michelins when he bought his car.

Quote:
I am getting a decent buyback for the MRF ZVTV and so I believe its worth switching to XM2 even if I go with the default 175/65-15...
Hi Vsrivatsa
How much are they offering for the ZVTVs? And is the Honda dealer offering the buy-back or is it from a different tire shop/dealer?
Old 14th February 2014, 05:28   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Hi Vsrivatsa
How much are they offering for the ZVTVs? And is the Honda dealer offering the buy-back or is it from a different tire shop/dealer?
All dealers in Bangalore were clear that once car is allotted they won't change anything and they would not buyback as well. Tyre Professionals offered only 2500 for the Tyres and gave an extremely overpriced quote for the whole exchange deal. A1 Car Care bought the stock tyres for 3000/- per tyre and I paid 5750/- for the Michelin XM2.
Old 14th February 2014, 14:04   #69
BHPian

Re: 4th-gen Honda City: fifth alloy rim?

[Mods please guide if this is slightly ?]

There's something I need an opinion on:

I've been following 5-wheel rotation with my cars so far (all FWDs, so front wheels went back, rears went forward across and spare was swapped with rear right).
The thing is, I wasn't faced with the issue of 4 alloys and a steel rim for the spare yet (as is the case with the City). If I want to continue with 5-wheel rotation, I have 2 choices:-

A: Buy another alloy for the spare and go ahead with rotation as above.

B: Don't buy another alloy - so every rotation (at 5000 KM intervals) involves at least 2 tires being dismounted and remounted onto the swapped rims (steel to allow and alloy to steel).

This (option B) sounds ok in theory, but I have a couple of concerns:

B1: I'm curious whether such frequent dis/re-mounting of tires would have a detrimental effect on the tires/rims?

B2: Given that a tire would be going from alloy-rim -> steel-rim -> alloy-rim over the course of successive rotations, would that cause damage to a (tubeless) tire? (I have heard steel rims are more prone to corrosion than alloys so dis/re-mounting should be avoided with them)

To avoid duplicity and given that this is a generic question that applies to other cars as well (where cars come with 4 alloys + 1 steel spare from the OEM), would appreciate if you can post your opinions/answers on the 'Tyre rotation' thread where I originally asked this question [link to post]. I can include a post here later with links to all answers provided there (on the 'Tyre-rotation' thread) for reference.
Old 16th February 2014, 18:25   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shreyans

When you say 'Insist' - you mean the dealer or Honda?
Dealer.

Of course, dealers being dealers will try every trick in the book to not accommodate this as it requires an extra effort at their end. That the car is in great demand also does not help. Still, this can be done and is more of a question of your rapport with your salesperson.

Quote:
The thing is, I wasn't faced with the issue of 4 alloys and a steel rim for the spare yet (as is the case with the City). If I want to continue with 5-wheel rotation, I have 2 choices:-
There is no need to do 5 tire rotation in a car with 4 alloys. 4 tire rotation is adequate. The spare remains the spare. Rotate them once every 10000km or so.

Also, I am not very comfortable with the idea of frequently mounting and dismounting tires from their alloys/rims for the sake of rotation. The tire and the rim have an interference fit and removing and refitting the tire again and again only puts extra avoidable stress on the alloy/rim.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 18:27   #71
BHPian

Quote:

A: Buy another alloy for the spare and go ahead with rotation as above.

B: Don't buy another alloy - so every rotation (at 5000 KM intervals) involves at least 2 tires being dismounted and remounted onto the swapped rims (steel to allow and alloy to steel).

This (option B) sounds ok in theory, but I have a couple of concerns:

B1: I'm curious whether such frequent dis/re-mounting of tires would have a detrimental effect on the tires/rims?

B2: Given that a tire would be going from alloy-rim -> steel-rim -> alloy-rim over the course of successive rotations, would that cause damage to a (tubeless) tire? (I have heard steel rims are more prone to corrosion than alloys so dis/re-mounting should be avoided with them)
I would prefer to go with Option 1 given the fact that this would be more of a one time cost of buying the 5th Alloy Wheel. (The Honda City accessories list showed a price of 9K per Alloy wheel).

For option 2, not only would you have to go for the Alloy to Steel and Steel to alloy change, but I am guessing that is going to be charged extra by the service centre.

Last edited by moralfibre : 16th February 2014 at 18:38. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 21:04   #72
BHPian

Hello guys,

I recently faced a puncture on my City. I was forced to run the car on the spare wheel and now I bought a new tyre as the old one could not be fixed. Here's the deal - I now run my car on 3 Michelin XM1 tyres and the front left is a Goodyear GT tyre. I have not noticed any major difference in the handling. So, my question is - Would you recommend all 4 tyres being the same or is it ok to have 1 of a different make. Also, is it true that they have stopped making XM1? All tyres that I have currently are stock - 175/R15.

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 19th February 2014, 14:34   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Hello guys,

I recently faced a puncture on my City. I was forced to run the car on the spare wheel and now I bought a new tyre as the old one could not be fixed. Here's the deal - I now run my car on 3 Michelin XM1 tyres and the front left is a Goodyear GT tyre. I have not noticed any major difference in the handling. So, my question is - Would you recommend all 4 tyres being the same or is it ok to have 1 of a different make. Also, is it true that they have stopped making XM1? All tyres that I have currently are stock - 175/R15.

Cheers!
Rohan
Hi Rohan,

The current batch of Michelin XM1s on your car - how much have they run so far?

Is the tire on the spare wheel also the same as others (Michelin XM1 175/65R15)?

How much has the spare tire been run so far? - just for emergencies or as part of your regular rotation? (trying to ascertain if it is as worn out as the other tires or has much less wear)

I'm assuming your spare is the same (175/65/R15 XM1), in which case you can have that tire mounted on one of the main duty alloys and put the new tire as the spare - UNLESS the spare's wear is far less than the other tires.
It is better to have tires of the same make at least on the same axle (especially the front - AND the city is a FWD) if not all 4.

The XM1, while an older model, is still available with some dealers.
I found it available on Tyresonwheels:
http://www.tyreonwheels.com/car/tyre...s/10/Bangalore
(select Michelin from the list on the left)

Good Luck
Travis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 14:17   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rohan,

The current batch of Michelin XM1s on your car - how much have they run so far?

Is the tire on the spare wheel also the same as others (Michelin XM1 175/65R15)?

How much has the spare tire been run so far? - just for emergencies or as part of your regular rotation? (trying to ascertain if it is as worn out as the other tires or has much less wear)

I'm assuming your spare is the same (175/65/R15 XM1),

Hey!
- The current batch of XM1 has run about 35,000 kms. They are on the verge of needing to be replaced.
- Spare tyre is the same size (175/65/R15) but the make is Yokohama.
-Spare tyre has never been used much. It only comes when there is a puncture, which recently, was the first time!

So here is the deal. The Yokohama has gone back to being a spare. 3 tires are Michelin XM1 and the front left is Goodyear GT3. I feel no difference whatsoever and plan to continue using it this way. Question: Is this recommended?
Secondly, I want to upgrade to the 195/65/R15 size. I need performance. Mileage I can compromise. Any suggestions? (I am bad with tires). How do I go about it. I am stuck with a brand new GT3 tire now. I bought this as it was the only shop nearby and I feel comfortable when I have 5 working tires. Can I trade it in? It has barely run 100 clicks. I will be upgrading early next month.
And thanks a ton for the link. I got ripped off as i paid Rs3,600 for the GT3 tire while on the website it is just Rs3,251!! Quick question: what does the H 84, H 87, T, 84, etc mean (it is printed after the tire size). Again thanks for your reply!

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 20th February 2014, 17:59   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Hey!
- The current batch of XM1 has run about 35,000 kms. They are on the verge of needing to be replaced.
- Spare tyre is the same size (175/65/R15) but the make is Yokohama.
-Spare tyre has never been used much. It only comes when there is a puncture, which recently, was the first time!

So here is the deal. The Yokohama has gone back to being a spare. 3 tires are Michelin XM1 and the front left is Goodyear GT3. I feel no difference whatsoever and plan to continue using it this way. Question: Is this recommended?
Secondly, I want to upgrade to the 195/65/R15 size. I need performance. Mileage I can compromise. Any suggestions? (I am bad with tires). How do I go about it. I am stuck with a brand new GT3 tire now. I bought this as it was the only shop nearby and I feel comfortable when I have 5 working tires. Can I trade it in? It has barely run 100 clicks. I will be upgrading early next month.
And thanks a ton for the link. I got ripped off as i paid Rs3,600 for the GT3 tire while on the website it is just Rs3,251!! Quick question: what does the H 84, H 87, T, 84, etc mean (it is printed after the tire size). Again thanks for your reply!

Cheers!
Rohan
Hi Rohan

First, you current predicament:

"Is this recommended?"
No

Just to recap: your new GT3 and the Yokohama - both have negligible wear and the 3 XM1s are nearing their end.

On the front, you have a worn out tire that's run 35K on the same axle as a new tire with a full tread - while the difference in diameters of both wheels would be marginal, the difference in grip could be huge. This may not cause a huge perceivable difference under sedate driving (you sure the car's not pulling to one side?), but push the car a little or try breaking hard under emergency and you could end up in deep trouble!

I'd say change your tires now itself.

If you have to run with this set of tires for another month, a less unbalanced configuration I can think of is XM1s on the front (City's FWD, the front axle has to be kept balanced) and the Yoko and GT3 on the rear axle (both free rolling wheels and both new tires will have a more closely matched grip/diameter) - though this is also not ideal coz different tire models mean different rubber and hence different grip. The remaining XM1 goes into spare.

Now onto the upsize:

195/65 will be too much of a departure from the stock diameter - stick to 195/60R15s - that's the most accepted ideal upsize for the city I've seen here on Team-bhp.

Brands? Scourge this forum (this thread especially) for all the info. I did the same and shortlisted Michelin Primacy 3STs or Michelin XM2s.
A friendly tire dealer (who is selling both of these at the same price) advised 3STs if you'll be sticking to city driving on good roads only and XM2s if highway/bad roads are expected. (Apparently the 3STs have a softer sidewall than the XM2 which makes XM2 the better choice on less-than-ideal roads)

Now, what to do with the New GT3 and the barely-used Yoko?

I'd suggest buy 5 new tires and trade both old ones in for whatever you get - the GT3 at less than 100KM should go for a decent price while the Yoko may loose a bit more value.

Reason for 5 tires is that you're upsizing now - so it's not just about having a worn out or different brand tire as the spare but a different size altogether!

[
Dear BHPians, this is a grey area for me and would request the experienced ones to chime in below:
]
IMO,

If you have a flat and need to run some distance on the spare (in the city, it would be a few KMs to the tire repair shop, but on a highway, it could be 10-15 KMs before you come across a tire repair shop):

A rear flat,
The City isn't a RWD and so doesn't have a rear differential which could suffer extra load if running different size wheels on the rear axle, BUT, the ABS would go for a toss and there's no way to know how it will behave in this situation.
Not sure if your City (previous gen?) has ESP - if it does, that'll cause issues too.

A front flat,
There's NO WAY you can have different sized wheels on the front of a FWD car!

For reference, GTO said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The same size tyre MUST be used on the same axle. Period.

GTO
And I don't think he means to exclude the spare from the above statement.
I'll let him clarify in case he does.

Now on to those numbers:
84/85/... refers to the Load Index (how heavy a fully loaded car can be for this tire to support)
H/T/V... refers to the speed rating (how fast can you safely run on a tire)

I reckon the City comes with stock tires rated 84H, so any tire with load index 84 or higher and speed rating H or higher should be good.
(Both Michelins I mentioned above are rated 88V)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks