Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2014, 10:09   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Its always recommended to go for all 5 tyres when upgrading. Specially when you're going to upsize it immediately after delivery, I really don't see a reason not to change spare tyre as well as you get a good buy back value that time. The distance from the center of the wheel to base also changes when you upsize (change in GC) so I would always go for all 5 tyres.

Other things to consider is:
- When you go for 5 tyres, you can have rotation of all tyres done(all 5). This way, the car will go for longer distance before they get worn out
- Tyres have a certain lifetime. So even if spare tyre is used as spare only, you may have to change it when you are changing other 4 tyres to be on safe side.
Even if you upsize all five, you might just use the spare for 10-15 kms for puncture repairs. Note that spare tyre given by Honda is not with Alloy, so you cannot use it as regular wheel unless you change tyre itself.
Old 20th March 2014, 13:44   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Will TyreOnWheels buy back stock tyres and give same rate what tyre shops would? Also, make sure they have a good Wheel Balancing machine.
Also, regarding the tyre manufacture date, it should be OK if its like December 2013.

I checked their rates earlier and atleast they are pretty similar to what the tyre shops would give if you negotiate.
Yes, they buy back the stock tyres. For the city, if the stock tyres are unused (changing to upsized tyres right outside showroom), they're offering the following rates:
MRF ZVTV: 3100-3200 each
Goodyear GT3: 2400-2500 each
Bridgestone: 3700-3800 each
(the tyre's condition will result in a mild variation in buy back value of tyre - since many showrooms are far away from their stockyards - so cars have run as much as 80 KMs before delivery)

The new tyres will come for 5300 each for 2013 manufactured XM2s (195/60) and 5600 for 2014 manufactured ones - can't say about B'lore, but no reputed dealer in Ggn matched this price (Best was 5900 for 2013 manufactured tyre).

And yes - 2013 manufactured tyres are fine, I just included that detail to highlight the fact that there is a price variation even based on manufacturing year:
TOW XM2 2013: 5300
Dealer XM2 2013: 5900
TOW XM2 2014: 5600

They have wheel a balancing machine on their van - will report back on the quality of work and service later.

Quote:
Actually, I'll be upgrading my tyres to 195/60 as well so hopefully should be good based on below post. 6J or 6.5J seems ideal for 195/60.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2455265
Hey Neel, quoting your post from the City new car review thread to here (this seems the more appropriate thread to discuss tyres/alloys).

Yes, that is the ideal size for that tyre size, and it will result in less bulging (more vertical) sidewalls and hence better contact patch with the road and thus, better grip. My concern is just that if that might be too much grip? With a power steering, it may not be apparent, but whenever you turn the steering wheel with the car at rest (say, during a parking maneuver), there is a lot of stress on the parts of the steering assembly - this stress will only go higher with wider rims and wider tyres. My only suggestion would be that if you do go for these rims and tyres - avoid stand-still steering as much as possible.

And I know I said this, but MAN those option 2 rims look good!

Last edited by Travis : 20th March 2014 at 14:08. Reason: Adding a quoted post
Travis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 14:27   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Yes, they buy back the stock tyres. For the city, if the stock tyres are unused (changing to upsized tyres right outside showroom), they're offering the following rates:
MRF ZVTV: 3100-3200 each
Goodyear GT3: 2400-2500 each
Bridgestone: 3700-3800 each
(the tyre's condition will result in a mild variation in buy back value of tyre - since many showrooms are far away from their stockyards - so cars have run as much as 80 KMs before delivery)

The new tyres will come for 5300 each for 2013 manufactured XM2s (195/60) and 5600 for 2014 manufactured ones - can't say about B'lore, but no reputed dealer in Ggn matched this price (Best was 5900 for 2013 manufactured tyre).

And yes - 2013 manufactured tyres are fine, I just included that detail to highlight the fact that there is a price variation even based on manufacturing year:
Dealer XM2 2013: 5900

They have wheel a balancing machine on their van - will report back on the quality of work and service later.

And I know I said this, but MAN those option 2 rims look good!
Thanks for this. Didn't know about this site and when i checked found out they have a retail shop in Faridabad in my sector itself. So, will give them a visit to check out all the options.

Just to confirm if we buy via site we need to make the payment, then they will come at our doorstep and change the tyres. Is that right?

Few q's-
How does tyre manufacturing date matters?
How can we confirm its manufacturing date?
Is alignment and wheel balancing necessary after the exchange of tyres?
Old 20th March 2014, 15:45   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Thanks for this. Didn't know about this site and when i checked found out they have a retail shop in Faridabad in my sector itself. So, will give them a visit to check out all the options.

Just to confirm if we buy via site we need to make the payment, then they will come at our doorstep and change the tyres. Is that right?

Few q's-
How does tyre manufacturing date matters?
How can we confirm its manufacturing date?
Is alignment and wheel balancing necessary after the exchange of tyres?
The site has various modes of payment. You can check them. Ideally, I would opt for partial payment option and pay rest once they complete job unless there is a heavy discount if paid in full.

For your questions:
1) Tyres have a shelf life. Some tyre shops may give an old stock if the customer is not aware of the same. Few months here and there may not matter, but it's good to go for one manufactured in 2014 now if possible
2) There is a 4 digit number on tyre side walls XXYY. XX refers to week number and YY the year. For eg 0414 would mean 4th week of 2014 which would be Jan end. Just search it online to get some examples.
3) I didn't understand this. Typically, tyre shops will load the rim with the new tyre and then do balancing. I doubt if alignment can be done by mobile shops but again, a new car should not require any alignment. Balancing is good enough.
neel911 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 16:59   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The site has various modes of payment. You can check them. Ideally, I would opt for partial payment option and pay rest once they complete job unless there is a heavy discount if paid in full.

For your questions:
1) Tyres have a shelf life. Some tyre shops may give an old stock if the customer is not aware of the same. Few months here and there may not matter, but it's good to go for one manufactured in 2014 now if possible
2) There is a 4 digit number on tyre side walls XXYY. XX refers to week number and YY the year. For eg 0414 would mean 4th week of 2014 which would be Jan end. Just search it online to get some examples.
3) I didn't understand this. Typically, tyre shops will load the rim with the new tyre and then do balancing. I doubt if alignment can be done by mobile shops but again, a new car should not require any alignment. Balancing is good enough.
So, how much time period is acceptable for the manufacturing date?

Exactly. That's how tyre shops operate that's why I wanted to know.

I sent them an email regarding the Faridabad retail shop. Got a call within an hour. Turns out it's at a 2 minute walking distance from my home. They are opening it officially tomorrow.
The guy I spoke to informed me they have all the balancing and alignment equipment there. For now they will be stocking only Tyres. Alloys can be ordered after selecting them from the catalogue.
Will give them a visit when I am free and get the quotes.
Old 20th March 2014, 20:38   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One update on the alloys.
There is some mapping of min/max tyre size with respect to alloy width. For Honda City, all alloys will be 100PCD and 4 holes (the ones with 8 holes would also fit but would recommend to go with only the ones that come with 4 holes). The rim width of typical after market alloys are 6 - 6.5J.

I found an old post on this forum which might be useful. Again, this is an old post and I'm not sure if the newer tyres can manage a wider range of alloy width and how that affects handling when taking a sharp turn. Nikhil can confirm if the post below still holds true.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2455265

MODS: Please merge with my earlier post if possible.

That post is spot on. Very accurate and still holds true.
Old 21st March 2014, 10:11   #112
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
A clarification is in order. The sales exec from TOW I spoke to made a mistake - the prices quoted were for 2012 and 2013 tyres respectively.

that is -
XM2 2012: 5300 (5200 offered on negotiation)
XM2 2013: 5600

On the bright side, TOW records their customer interaction phone calls - when I brought up the above price discrepancy - they checked their call recording and accepted that a mistake had been made.

And yes, their mobile van has a tyre balancing machine, but no alignment equipment - but since the car's new, don't reckon alignment is needed right now.

Will post back a review on their service with pictures later.
Old 22nd March 2014, 19:04   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A clarification is in order. The sales exec from TOW I spoke to made a mistake - the prices quoted were for 2012 and 2013 tyres respectively.

that is -
XM2 2012: 5300 (5200 offered on negotiation)
XM2 2013: 5600

On the bright side, TOW records their customer interaction phone calls - when I brought up the above price discrepancy - they checked their call recording and accepted that a mistake had been made.

And yes, their mobile van has a tyre balancing machine, but no alignment equipment - but since the car's new, don't reckon alignment is needed right now.

Will post back a review on their service with pictures later.
Good that they have clarified the pricing clearly.

Secondly, dont rely on the balancing done on a truck. The way balancers work, you will rarely get a proper balancing job done on a truck. A Wheel balancer needs to be installed/placed on a solid surface. A wheel balancer inside a truck will surely be a very basic and cheap one. Secondly, without having been placed on solid ground, I will not trust the machine's accuracy.

I truly appreciate the idea of TOW and for all you know they may have found a way to make it work! I'm just voicing my doubts here.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 12:42   #114
BHPian

So I finally got delivery of my 2014 Honda City SV CVT and I’ve christened it: White Unicorn.
Ownership Thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e-unicorn.html

The stock tyres came with Michelin XM1 175/65R15.

I immediately upgraded them to Michelin Primacy 3ST 195/60R15 (all 5 tyres)

SV variant does not come with Alloy Wheels. After a lot of research and guidance from Nikhil (Nikhilb2008), I went for Neo Alloys Aristo HS 6.5J. A big thanks to him.

I could immediately feel the difference with the Michelin 195/60 tyres and am glad I upgraded. The ride is much more comfortable now.

Tyre/Alloy Change done at Madhus Enterprise on Langford Road and had a very pleasant experience as always and details captured here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ml#post3400313

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20140325_160356.jpg
Old 7th May 2014, 21:49   #115
AMJ

Firstly thanks to vsrivatsa for guiding me here. I am confused and would request form some expert advice. I am considering an upgrade of tyres for the ANHC. I liked what I read about P3ST but after I read about Energy XM2 not sure which is right for Indian Roads. Mumbai has some horrible road patches at most places and the rains causes bigger and more potholes.

3ST is tested for Asia Pacific, but which countries? Thailand, Malaysia all have much better roads compared to what we have.

My requirement is: City roads, some highway and some travel to remote areas where the roads will be bad like offroad.

I also want a tyre that is Silent, works well on bad roads (my view is Mumbai roads are worse compared to Bangalore, had been a frequent traveler to Bangalore till about 12 mnths ago Mumbai has a few patches that feel off road) less prone to punctures as will be going on long drives and country side and that will bring the best of the ANHC.

neel911: I know has gone for 3ST but on a 6.5 J rim. I will be on the stock 5.5J rim, I am sure that will also have an impact on performance.

I have a couple of days to take a final decision. So request some good suggestions from all the experts here.
Old 8th May 2014, 09:53   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ View Post
Firstly thanks to vsrivatsa for guiding me here. I am confused and would request form some expert advice. I am considering an upgrade of tyres for the ANHC. I liked what I read about P3ST but after I read about Energy XM2 not sure which is right for Indian Roads. Mumbai has some horrible road patches at most places and the rains causes bigger and more potholes.

3ST is tested for Asia Pacific, but which countries? Thailand, Malaysia all have much better roads compared to what we have.

My requirement is: City roads, some highway and some travel to remote areas where the roads will be bad like offroad.

I also want a tyre that is Silent, works well on bad roads (my view is Mumbai roads are worse compared to Bangalore, had been a frequent traveler to Bangalore till about 12 mnths ago Mumbai has a few patches that feel off road) less prone to punctures as will be going on long drives and country side and that will bring the best of the ANHC.

neel911: I know has gone for 3ST but on a 6.5 J rim. I will be on the stock 5.5J rim, I am sure that will also have an impact on performance.

I have a couple of days to take a final decision. So request some good suggestions from all the experts here.
Given that you have gone for the V/VX it does not make sense to change the Stock Alloys. The option of going in for a 6.5 Alloy makes sense for the SV folks. It would be lossy to change Alloys unless you really don't like the default ones which I agree is not too attractive.

Your requirements seem to be a good mix of multiple things. But the rough patches that you called out kind of seems like a negative for choosing the Primacy 3ST which is softer in relative comparison with the XM2.

I think the Stock MRFs (ZVTV) which are hard actually do well for the rough patches but you can go in for the XM2. I have not had much issues with the noise levels of the XM2 but then, I have only done 4000+ so far.
vsrivatsa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 10:08   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ View Post

You can also check yokohama AVS DB V550 if you are looking for silent tyre.

http://www.yokohama-india.com/avs_db.html
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 00:28   #118
BHPian

Hi guys.
I took delivery of Honda City SV AT today evening from Magnum Honda, Mekhri Circle, Bangalore and planning to upsize the tyres to michellin XM2 195/60/15.
My only concern is, if SE very clearly told that any change in tyre width will void the warrenty. Even it will have issues in claim settelments in case of accident.
He also said that, there is no point taking expensive zero dep insurance as tyre upsize will result into claim rejection.
I am confused and need your opinion. I want to upsize (if I decide) by tomorrow to get good deal for stock tyres. I got Goodyears.
Old 11th May 2014, 16:47   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Hi guys.
I took delivery of Honda City SV AT today evening from Magnum Honda, Mekhri Circle, Bangalore and planning to upsize the tyres to michellin XM2 195/60/15.
My only concern is, if SE very clearly told that any change in tyre width will void the warrenty. Even it will have issues in claim settelments in case of accident.
He also said that, there is no point taking expensive zero dep insurance as tyre upsize will result into claim rejection.
I am confused and need your opinion. I want to upsize (if I decide) by tomorrow to get good deal for stock tyres. I got Goodyears.
That is quiet surprising, check with Whitefield Honda, those guys are more sensible and are more accommodating to upgrades with better customer care.
Old 14th May 2014, 13:12   #120
AMJ

Finally my VX CVT is ready for delivery hope to get it by tomorrow. Got MRF ZVTS as stock. Got it changed to 195/60/R15 Michelin P3ST. The engineers tested the car and said that there is no significant difference between stock and the upgrade. Hope to see the difference after some kms on the ODO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks