Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 09:32   #31
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the help everyone. behram sir, is it ok to upsize a little at least...say 255/70 R15 ? The current tyres look very skinny on my scorpio.

any idea on the price point for the yokohama geolander A/T?
Old 11th June 2009, 19:14   #32
BHPian

Yoko Geo's will be around 5.8-6.2k. They are worth every Rupee.
Old 12th June 2009, 09:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

My Scorpio came with Bridgestone Tubed HT tyres. They are the worst tyres you can fit in a Scorpio - terrible handling and braking, but long life, I got 75K kms on those tyres

Then I switched over to Bridgestone Tubeless ATs. This is a car transformed. Where I feared to tread earlier, I sail through with arrogance and disdain. Handles wet roads beautifully. Takes dirt tracks like a duck to water. But longevity is a casualty, I am retiring the ATs just short of 50K.

Yokos, here I come.....
Old 20th June 2009, 15:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Tubeless tyre blowoff

Just wanted to share a recent photograph of a tubeless Tyre blowing off on a new Tata Safari , I am amazed & could not comprehend how a tubeless Tyre (Bridgestone Make) can blow off to shreds like this, attaching a low quality picture taken of my mobile camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-bridgestone-blownup.jpg  

Old 20th June 2009, 17:22   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Lots of reasons.

If you were driving at a high speed and something on the road punctured the tyre, this could have happened.

If there was a bulge previously(maybe at an earlier date, you hit a pothole because of which the tyre cords were weakened at a certain point) and then another minor impact at the same weak spot could have resulted in the tyre giving way.

Could be a normal puncture(not due to a nail or anything, but maybe a piece of glass which cut the tyre) and since you were at a relatively high speed and took a few extra seconds slowing to a standstill, the tyre would have disintegrated.

Maintaining wrong pressure(maybe too high a pressure).
Old 20th June 2009, 23:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Yoko Geo's will be around 5.8-6.2k. They are worth every Rupee.
Which size are these prices for? 15 or 16 inches?

How does the Michelin LTX A/T compare to the Yokos? How much do they cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
However, Scorpios equipped with 15 inch wheels may be upgraded to 16 inch wheels provided all other parameters remain undisturbed and production wheel rims and production tubeless tyres are used. The OD (outer diameter) of both tyres is the same.
What noticeable difference will one feel after shifting from 15" to 16" wheels? Assuming the tyre used is the same. Looks aside.

Last edited by razor4077 : 20th June 2009 at 23:51.
Old 21st June 2009, 01:25   #37
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post

What noticeable difference will one feel after shifting from 15" to 16" wheels? Assuming the tyre used is the same. Looks aside.
I just bought the 235/75 R15 Yokohama Geolandar A/T for my Safari and they cost me 5250 a piece. Am extremely happy with them and the other option I was considering was the Michelin LTX A/T which have had fairly good reviews themselves. Whatever I have discussed with people there's no clear winner between the Michelins and the Yokos but if you were to see them side by side it would be easy to go for the Yokos ( surely cleared my confusion!)

About the change frm 15" to 16" the Safari went from 235/75 R15 (profile height = 176.25) to 235/70 R16 (profile height = 164.5) But given that the size has gone from 15 to 16 the difference is almost nullified. So now we have a tyre (16") with a larger rim (more rigidity) and smaller rubber profile (lesser flexibility) compared to the 15" with a smaller rim (more rigidity) and larger rubber profile (more flexibility). This should impact the handling of the vehicles as for largely the same heights the 16" may be slightly better. Of course this is just a hypothesis and would appreciate any inputs

Cheers,
AVR
Old 21st June 2009, 01:29   #38
AVR
BHPian

I have posted on the Safari tyres thread about the Yokohamas and might interest you

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1346972
Old 21st June 2009, 11:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

Thanks AVR!
I am guessing the flip-side to the better handling of the 16" tyres is that they aren't as well cushioned as the 15", given the lower profile (and same width).
16": Better handling
15": More pliant ride
Old 21st June 2009, 16:15   #40
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks AVR!
I am guessing the flip-side to the better handling of the 16" tyres is that they aren't as well cushioned as the 15", given the lower profile (and same width).
16": Better handling
15": More pliant ride
Yes razorr4077,

That's what one can arrive at - Of course there are other factors that come in like brand, rubber composition, etc but given everything else is the same the hypothesis would be true.

Cheers,
AVR
Old 21st June 2009, 19:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

That tyre failure is not the result of solely a blow out. The condition indicates that the tyre has been driven in a deflated state for a quite a long distance leading it to shredded apart that badly.
Old 21st June 2009, 19:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:

I hope its for 15": Yokohama Geolandar 235/75/R15 cost you around 5200 where Michelin LTX A/T 235/75/R15 cost you around 5500.

Yokohama Geo tyres have better grip pattern, silicon rubber, sidewall protection and more thread depth than michelin LTX. Go for Yokohama unless you hate the OWL.

Quote:
say 255/70 R15 ? The current tyres look very skinny on my scorpio.
Never get a chance to look at the Yokohama 265/70/R15, You may fall in love with it and you wont like the 235 Geolandar after that.

If you need 255/70/R15 try Michelin LTX A/T, but it cost around 7000.

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 21st June 2009 at 19:53.
Old 23rd June 2009, 23:00   #43
Senior - BHPian

Fitted Yokohama Geolander A/T-S on my Scorp today. Stock size - 235/75/15
Got them @5100 per tyre, and also got a decent buy-back rate for my used JK Brute 4x4s. Shelled out a shade over 13k eventually, after the mandatory alignment and balancing.
First impressions - steering feels much lighter with the Yokos. Ride is definitely smoother - had expected this given that these are tubeless. Feels somewhat easier to drive I think. And there is a huge improvement in road noise...the JKs were very noisy, and the Yokos are silent in comparison.

The main reason for the switch is that the JKs were tube-type tyres. A puncture in one of those would need me to change the tyre immediately. Given my recent back surgery, this is a task that is beyond me. A tubeless tyre would allow me to take the car to a shop to get it fixed (or at least help me switch to the spare).

Am happy with the purchase... will post pics later
Old 24th June 2009, 10:36   #44
AVR
BHPian

Nice Razor4077

I agree i feel the change significantly too since i changed to Geolandards stock for my Safari TCIC and am happy so far!

Did you evaluate an upsize?

Cheers,
AVR

Quote:
Fitted Yokohama Geolander A/T-S on my Scorp today. Stock size - 235/75/15
Got them @5100 per tyre, and also got a decent buy-back rate for my used JK Brute 4x4s. Shelled out a shade over 13k eventually, after the mandatory alignment and balancing.
First impressions - steering feels much lighter with the Yokos. Ride is definitely smoother - had expected this given that these are tubeless. Feels somewhat easier to drive I think. And there is a huge improvement in road noise...the JKs were very noisy, and the Yokos are silent in comparison.

The main reason for the switch is that the JKs were tube-type tyres. A puncture in one of those would need me to change the tyre immediately. Given my recent back surgery, this is a task that is beyond me. A tubeless tyre would allow me to take the car to a shop to get it fixed (or at least help me switch to the spare).

Am happy with the purchase... will post pics later
Old 24th June 2009, 12:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Did you evaluate an upsize?
I did think about it, but decided against it.
1. It would require the rims to be changed, and I didn't want to incur that expenditure now
2. FE and acceleration would both be hampered by wider tyres
3. Wider tyres might require some cutting around the wheel well to ensure the tyres aren't touching anything on full lock.

255s obviously add to the looks, but the 235s don't look half-bad either

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks