Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 14:46   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
Guys thanks for the information.

One more question - It is about upsize. I hear varying opinions about upsizing of tyres. In general what I understand is that it is not good to upsize. Is that right? [Request guys who have upsized also to respond so that I hear both sides of the story]
There isn't anything wrong in up sizing the tires. Considering the puny tires some of our manufacturers roll out cars with , its ok to go ahead and up-size tires with the next available size.

The aesthetic appeal of larger wheels and tires is undeniable. In general, larger wheels are heavier and additional weight hinders performance, but this is minimal when you stick to the right up-size and dont over do it.

Go through this thread (Things to consider before upsizing your tyre).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
One technical question (may be a dumb one, pardon my ignorance). Is it possible to put 245/70R16 or even 255/70R16 tyres on the regular alloy wheels of Scorpio, or does these need a change in the alloy wheels inline with their measurements. I am attaching a picture of my alloy wheels (sorry for the quality of the image).
I quite don't think you will be able to find that size . As long as the PCD and the width the alloy is within the manufacturers recommendations you needn't worry.
Old 9th March 2012, 15:14   #182
BHPian

Thanks rjstyles69

Maybe I was wrong, I see from the tyre upsize excel sheet (found elsewhere on thsi site) it is said that you can up-size to 255/60-16 for Scorpio (CRDe - presume mHawk also is applicable). If that is the case, then I want to make the decision to go ahead and change the tyres to 255/60R16 on my Scorpio.
Old 18th March 2012, 23:19   #183
Senior - BHPian

Try the Michellins. You will fall in love with your Scorpio once again. Superb grip and handling besides ride quality goes up a few notches.
Old 1st April 2012, 08:02   #184
BHPian

Alright guys, so my Beast has a new set of Shoes. Thanks for all the inputs. I settled for Yoko Geolandars A/T-s. Just done about 50 Kms on them. The ride comfort seems to have improved. Road noise seems to be more than the JK Elanzo. But this is the first impression, need to go for a longer drive to come out with a more authentic view point. Will keep you all posted.

Also attaching couple of pictures just after the change.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-lookstbhp.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-treadstbhp.jpg  

Old 23rd April 2012, 22:46   #185
Senior - BHPian

Guys
i have a question on tyre upgrades for the Scorpio since i might go for the LX model soon.

the stock tyres are 235/70/16. I am not too keen to fit alloys and hence the upgrade would be on stock rims and would intend to swap straight from the showroom

please advise a suitable upgrade based on the below requirements

1) primarily City and High way drives ( hence less road noise, rolling resistance and longer life is important ) . no major offroading expected but still tyres should be good enough to go over rough patches

2) cosmetically should improve the stance by moderately jutting out of the body line. remember this is the LX and hence does not have the fat platic body cladding.

3) value for money. i am reiterating this merely to say that i have no fancy for imported tyres. if any Indian brand takes care of the above priorities i am more than happy to save a few thousand rupees and go for them.

one more thing - i rarely see anyone recommending MRFs, Apollos ? are they really that bad ?

thanks guys
Old 24th April 2012, 08:06   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
1) primarily City and High way drives ( hence less road noise, rolling resistance and longer life is important ) . no major offroading expected but still tyres should be good enough to go over rough patches
Your best options are Michelin Latitude Cross/Yokohama Geolanders/BFG's(if you can find them) and the Maxxis(Bravo Series).

Quote:
2) cosmetically should improve the stance by moderately jutting out of the body line. remember this is the LX and hence does not have the fat platic body cladding.
Unlikely that you can achieve this even with 265 width. Alloys is the way to go and something with 7.5J width.

Quote:
3) value for money. i am reiterating this merely to say that i have no fancy for imported tyres. if any Indian brand takes care of the above priorities i am more than happy to save a few thousand rupees and go for them.
Most of these tires are upwards 7.5k and otherwise your options are BS Duellers/MRF Wanderers/Apollo Hawkz/JK Elanzo. I would pick the MRF wanderers in this list, one of the members here has mentioned that these tires are pretty good.

Quote:
one more thing - i rarely see anyone recommending MRFs, Apollos ? are they really that bad ?
Apollo hawkz doesn't have good reviews about them, however you can check the MRF Wanderers.

edit : Here's a post on the Maxxis tread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post2698743 .

Check NIP's gallery to see the treads for the BFG's and this page already contains the Geolanders tread pictures.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 24th April 2012 at 08:08.
Old 29th April 2012, 12:57   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

Unlikely that you can achieve this even with 265 width. Alloys is the way to go and something with 7.5J width.

Most of these tires are upwards 7.5k and otherwise your options are BS Duellers/MRF Wanderers/Apollo Hawkz/JK Elanzo. I would pick the MRF wanderers in this list, one of the members here has mentioned that these tires are pretty good.

Did you mean that fitting even 265 width tyres on stock steel wheels wont give that planted wider tyres look ? thats disappointing - any cheaper solutions than going for alloys ? like a metal ream to support that extra width ?

what is the price range of the MRFs ?

thanks for your responses
Old 30th April 2012, 08:52   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you mean that fitting even 265 width tyres on stock steel wheels wont give that planted wider tyres look ? thats disappointing - any cheaper solutions than going for alloys ? like a metal ream to support that extra width ?
YES !! I am running 265's and doesn't yield that wide looks on the stock rims. Haven't seen any scorpios with that extra width on stock rims with any metal reams as such.

Quote:
what is the price range of the MRFs ?
Should be in the range of 6-7k itself.
Old 30th April 2012, 13:18   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
YES !! I am running 265's and doesn't yield that wide looks on the stock rims. Haven't seen any scorpios with that extra width on stock rims with any metal reams as such.

Should be in the range of 6-7k itself.
thanks buddy - checked your album - presume the beast is riding on 265s on those pics. they do look muted as you mention but could that be because of the body cladding ? i am looking for the LX model which does not have the cladding
Old 30th April 2012, 15:57   #190
BHPian

Quote:
YES !! I am running 265's...
Hey RJ, I thought yours was the 255, Yoko's. Did you change it or was that a typo?
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:01   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Hey RJ, I thought yours was the 255, Yoko's. Did you change it or was that a typo?
Oooops sorry that was a typo, thanks for pointing it out man. I dont know what got me high while I typed in that . Narayan the size is 255/65/R16 that I am running on my scorp'.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:07   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Apollo hawkz doesn't have good reviews about them, however you can check the MRF Wanderers.
I have been using the Hawkz for over 18,000 kms across varying terrains such as highways, rocky inclines, slush and bad roads. I have had no reason to complain.

@Narayan, here is my ownership thread on the Scorp LX, just in case you wanted to see the kind of terrains i subject it to.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e-done-10.html
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:06   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I have been using the Hawkz for over 18,000 kms across varying terrains such as highways, rocky inclines, slush and bad roads. I have had no reason to complain.

@Narayan, here is my ownership thread on the Scorp LX, just in case you wanted to see the kind of terrains i subject it to.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e-done-10.html

+1 to that.
After using JK elanzo the OE tyre i shifted to HAWKZ AT.
I find them very good in Highway( dry/wet) mud surfaces.
Will surely recommend.

cheers
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:04   #194

Adding my two cents on this.
When i bought my scorpio in Jan 2011, it came with Apolo Hawk. Like most of the people in the forum, having great respect for Yoko i exchanged 4 of my tyres for Yoko by paying 1K additional per tyre.

I had a small accident in Panipat where the sidewalls of my Yoko tore apart. I could only get Apolo Hawk locally so i bought apolo and used it as replacement. From then till now i am running with 2 apolos in front and Yoko in the rear. I notices more issues with Yoko sidewalls than Apolo sidewalls. The wear and tear (considering Apolo were added later) is almost the same.

I would say that it is best to buy tyres manufactured in India since they will be more customised for Indian terrain. Assuming we get our cars on bad to very bad roads. If you are a highway user all the time, then all foreign brands might be considered.
Old 9th June 2012, 19:33   #195
BHPian

A query that needs answering please.
Would a combination of Goodyear Wrangler HP AW 245/70 R16 and
Neo 16'' Punch Silver alloys make a good fit in my scorp.
Would there be any fouling with this fit in the tyrewell at all.
Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks