Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2012, 14:38   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Nikhil, how's Maxxis in 215/75 R15 ? Bolero top end is coming with Maxxis as OE.
Honestly no idea. Which model is it exactly? I have heard positive things about the Maxxis MA Z1 but not much about their SUV tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingadalli View Post
Hi Nikhil,
I drive more frequently on NH13 and country roads which are not too smooth and have many humps and pot holes. Inside the city office to home is hardly 4 kms which is again full of humps. I had made up my mind for bridgestone, but am willing to change to yokohama if you still advice me for Yokohama GeoLander. Which shop is better for Yokohama in bangalore.

thanks,
Prakash

PS: I have to change the tyres today itself. So please advice. :-)
Bridgestone will not give you the kind or ride comfort or grip a Yoko can give you. I still suggest you go for the Yokos, but make sure to maintain it well. Dont try to fly over bad roads and potholes! :P
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 02:27   #167

Does anyone know a dealer in Mumbai for BF Goodrich tyre. Need to exchange the OE JK tires with the same size BF Goodrich tires.
Old 5th February 2012, 09:04   #168
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrazor View Post
Does anyone know a dealer in Mumbai for BF Goodrich tyre. Need to exchange the OE JK tires with the same size BF Goodrich tires.
IMO BFG is presently not available due to some ISI issue. These tires are stocked by Michelin dealer. I too was searching for BFG but settled for Latitude Cross.
Old 5th February 2012, 09:27   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
IMO BFG is presently not available due to some ISI issue. These tires are stocked by Michelin dealer. I too was searching for BFG but settled for Latitude Cross.
V&V
Between Yokos Geolander and Michelin which one in your opinion is a better tyre.
Old 5th February 2012, 09:38   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

BFG is not going to come back to the Indian market in the near future.
Old 5th February 2012, 10:01   #171
Senior - BHPian

Nikhil, what is the reason for this ^^ ? Don't they have ISI marking on their products? Any specific reason for your statement above?

Spike
Old 6th February 2012, 14:37   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

BFG used to be made in the US factories. Michelin decided that it was not worth getting the ISI certification for those factories so decided to kill the BFG brand for the time being.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 15:02   #173
Senior - BHPian

Oh ok. BFG must be an OE supplier for many brands abroad, so ISI certification would not have been a difficult as I'm sure they must be EEC/ECE complying. ISI certification has more to do with the bureaucratic process rather than anything actually with the tire. Perhaps, the lack of volumes / numbers forced them to take a decision. Bad. Sad.

Spike
Old 12th February 2012, 17:39   #174

Found BFG - mfg 4611 for my scorpio but the fear is that they are not so easily available and the yokos at this point feels like the best option so going for the yokos.

thanks for all the inputs from various people in this forum that gave me ammunition to decide on the tires for my new scorpio..

speedrazor
Old 2nd March 2012, 18:17   #175
BHPian

My Scorpio SLEs Apollo OE Tyres have given way after 55K of service. One tyre is kaput with a puncture getting wider that it can be fixed, another tyre has a "BUBBLE" in it (essentially it is is OVAL and not a CIRCLE) - Bottomline I have to change the tyres.

From what I have learned from the threads in the forum, Yoko Geolander seems to be the choice of most people. But wanted to put in my usage pattern and see whether any other opinion turns up based on my usage pattern.

My scorpio runs on an average 60 to 70 Kms a day. That is anywhere between 20 to 25K a year. I would say 70 to 75% of it is on Bangalore roads and rest on highways. On highways I drive usually 120-140 (Bangalore - Salem - Madurai - Tvm route for people who know).

One more thing is I am planning to change the car say in 12 to 15 months from now. Don't know whether it is significant, but for info just in case.
Old 5th March 2012, 10:19   #176
BHPian

Guys no reply to my query on Scorpio tyres yet. Fellow BHP-ians requesting once again for inputs and support.

One more thing is regarding good dealers for tyres in Bangalore. I live in North side of Bangalore, so something in the areas of Hebbal, RT Nagar, BEL Road Dollar's colony, Kammanahally would be great. Also if somebody knows these guys, then please support in getting a good price .
Old 5th March 2012, 23:02   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

You cant go wrong with the Geolandars!
Old 6th March 2012, 09:34   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
Guys no reply to my query on Scorpio tyres yet. Fellow BHP-ians requesting once again for inputs and support.

One more thing is regarding good dealers for tyres in Bangalore. I live in North side of Bangalore, so something in the areas of Hebbal, RT Nagar, BEL Road Dollar's colony, Kammanahally would be great. Also if somebody knows these guys, then please support in getting a good price .
Go ahead and pick up the Yoko's , I would have recommended the BFG's too however they aren't available currently. I have been running the Geolanders for the last 30k kms and had a flat tire only once.

Around Bangalore north I don't think there are any Yoko dealers AFAIK. Your options are to go to Millivision , Lalbagh Road or Hercules Tires , Link Road, Sheshadripuram.
Old 6th March 2012, 10:06   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post

As Riju suggested go for Yokos, even my Hawky is running on same shoes. Yokos are available with Pruthivi (Super Service Stn) on Kammanahalli main road next to Sena vihar.
Old 9th March 2012, 14:01   #180
BHPian

Guys thanks for the information.

One more question - It is about upsize. I hear varying opinions about upsizing of tyres. In general what I understand is that it is not good to upsize. Is that right? [Request guys who have upsized also to respond so that I hear both sides of the story]

One technical question (may be a dumb one, pardon my ignorance). Is it possible to put 245/70R16 or even 255/70R16 tyres on the regular alloy wheels of Scorpio, or does these need a change in the alloy wheels inline with their measurements. I am attaching a picture of my alloy wheels (sorry for the quality of the image).
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-scorpio.jpg  

Most Viewed