Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2011, 21:39   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Understanding offsets can be confusing at times, hence resorting to pictorial explanation. Some good explanations available with pictures:-

Measuring Wheel Offset

How to Measure an Auto Wheel Offset | eHow.com

Spike
Old 26th March 2011, 21:18   #137
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Spike-Arrestor, those links are really helpful. I remember reading something like Tire Bible or similar named website long time back. That had some awesome information about anything and everything about Car and parts. Unable to find the links now.

Found it now -> http://www.carbibles.com/ for the homepage and the links for Tires are here -> http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Last edited by kaushik_s : 26th March 2011 at 21:19.
Old 25th April 2011, 13:52   #138
BHPian

Switched to Yoko Geo's 235/70 R16 on my Scorpio. Have run around 5k's on almost all kinds of roads, and they have performed really well. Slightly lower noise levels, better ride comfort, grip and traction over the earlier JK's.

Even the mileage has gone up by 0.5-1 kmpl, for which I think the credit goes to Nitrogen, which keeps the pressure even in all 4 tires for many weeks, whereas earlier had to check the air pressure every 5-7 days, and it always needed top-up.
Old 25th April 2011, 14:05   #139
Senior - BHPian

mine are those Aura Alloys which are no longer available because the company shut down the alloy wheel operation. these alloys are the standard recommended ones for Scorpio. 6.5J is the size or it may be 7J - I cannot remember now offhand.

they are just a bit wider than the normal Scorpio alloys which you get in the showroom. For some reason the normal Scorpio alloys stay within the wheel arches of the vehicle and mine stick out just a tad.

But having driven Scorpios with the OEM alloys as well as those with after market alloys (similar to mine), I find that I prefer the ones that stick out, especially while driving on highways, in the hills and around curves etc on account of a feeling of greater stability. One disadvantage with the alloys that stick out a bit is when one goes through a patch of water - the
water splashes terribly onto the bonnet and windscreen completely obliterating one's vision. Having said this, I think it is more of a Scorpio/ Bolero design flaw than something which is caused by the alloys per se.

When going through slushy and muddy patches it is better to have the windows up because if one drives with one's windows down and arm resting on the sill, one is liable to get a dirty shirt sleeve because the tyres that stick out a bit, tend to also kick up the dirt!

Like I said, its been 3 years so far and my alloys seem to be serving me well so no regrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Which alloys are you using? Are they of the correct offset?
I'll try to find the correct offset and size for Scorpio and unless I find the right alloys I probably won't change it.
Old 25th April 2011, 14:19   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
One disadvantage with the alloys that stick out a bit is when one goes through a patch of water - the
water splashes terribly onto the bonnet and windscreen completely obliterating one's vision.

I use to have the same issue on my Bolero to prevent this I used Tempo Traveller's mudflaps as suggested by a fellow bhipan and it worked.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 25th April 2011, 14:25   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
mine are those Aura Alloys which are no longer available because the company shut down the alloy wheel operation. these alloys are the standard recommended ones for Scorpio. 6.5J
These alloys may be 6.5J but recommended by whom? Alloy wheel manufacturer?

Quote:
they are just a bit wider than the normal Scorpio alloys which you get in the showroom. For some reason the normal Scorpio alloys stay within the wheel arches of the vehicle and mine stick out just a tad.
That is probably because your Alloys offset is different. How much has your track changed?

Spike
Old 25th April 2011, 14:50   #142
Senior - BHPian

at the time I fixed those alloys I had cross checked with Mr. BD. Basis his advice I used the original Wheel Nuts. Aura's never came with wheel nuts anyway. Aura alloys were produced by Hindalco and this particular version F11665 or something was the correct size for the Scorpio as recommended by them.
Even in my old Bolero, I had used Aura Alloys - B1560 was the name. These were 5 spoke alloys with 6.5J offset. Worked very well indeed for the 3 years I used them.
I dont know how much the track has changed simply because I ve not measured it nor asked this question so far.
All I know is that when you look at my Scorp, you can clearly see the alloys sticking out just a bit, in comparison with the standard Scorp with the OEM alloys. And in my Scorp for the last 3 years / 40K Kms, these have worked very well indeed on my numerous trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
These alloys may be 6.5J but recommended by whom? Alloy wheel manufacturer?

That is probably because your Alloys offset is different. How much has your track changed?

Spike
Old 25th April 2011, 14:53   #143
Senior - BHPian

Yes - someone else recommended to fit a pair of mudflaps on the front portion of the mudguard. The vehicle will look very odd (as if it is wearing a weird skirt type thing) when viewed from the front, but I understand it is very effective. For me, I content myself by driving slowly through water patches and mud patches so as to avoid the bad splash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
I use to have the same issue on my Bolero to prevent this I used Tempo Traveller's mudflaps as suggested by a fellow bhipan and it worked.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 25th April 2011, 15:07   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Yes - someone else recommended to fit a pair of mudflaps on the front portion of the mudguard. The vehicle will look very odd (as if it is wearing a weird skirt type thing) when viewed from the front, but I understand it is very effective. For me, I content myself by driving slowly through water patches and mud patches so as to avoid the bad splash!
Shankar, Big splashes wash away, it is the small splashes that cause the menacing dirty mud spots on the vehicle. So watch out for them. You can use the mudflaps during the monsoons and remove them once the monsoons are over. Changing the alloys is not suggested for obvious reasons

Initially I had 8J alloys on my Bolero and upon the suggestion of Spike, I changed my alloys to 6J. I didn't change due to splashing but for some other reason.
Old 25th April 2011, 15:14   #145
Senior - BHPian

I dont mind the mud spots normally. I like my car washed with a bucket and a nice shampoo once every week or ten days only. I dont wash it everyday for fear of rust and so on.

As I said I dont clip around at high speeds in wet conditions too - largely because it is a big beast and my vehicle doesnt have ABS and stuff - so I tend to be more careful than otherwise. And frankly I dont like the look of those front mud flaps at all.

I m not planning to change my Alloys either. They are AURA 6.5J ( I 've cross checked) and so far they have given me excellent service. My friend's Scorp also has similar 6.5J after market alloys and his is 2 years older than mine - done 70k+ kms on it with no problems so far (touch wood).

Quote:
Shankar, Big splashes wash away, it is the small splashes that cause the menacing dirty mud spots on the vehicle. So watch out for them. You can use the mudflaps during the monsoons and remove them once the monsoons are over. Changing the alloys is not suggested for obvious reasons

Initially I had 8J alloys on my Bolero and upon the suggestion of Spike, I changed my alloys to 6J. I didn't change due to splashing but for some other reason.
Old 25th April 2011, 15:20   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These were 5 spoke alloys with 6.5J offset.
6.5 is the rim seating width and J is the bead seat profile, offset is something different, for Scorpio it is +55 mm.

Quote:
Wanna know why I did not recommend 8J? Here it is, a copy from the bible on tyres and rims- the ITTAC manual

Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1.jpg

Trust this clears all confusion floating around.

Spike
Old 25th April 2011, 15:23   #147
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the clarification Spike.
It appears that my 6.5J aura alloys with the OEM tyres 235/70/16 are within the norms as per this manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
6.5 is the rim seating width and J is the bead seat profile, offset is something different, for Scorpio it is +55 mm.

Wanna know why I did not recommend 8J? Here it is, a copy from the bible on tyres and rims- the ITTAC manual

Attachment 535314

Trust this clears all confusion floating around.

Spike
Old 25th April 2011, 16:24   #148
Senior - BHPian

I quite disagree with the fact that the negative offset of the alloys have something to do with the water splashing on the front windshield and the bonnet. My Scorp' runs on the stock OE rims and the problem is pretty evident.

I earlier have noticed this in the TATA Sumo's and was a little taken aback when I experienced this with the scorp'. Hit a puddle of water at a good speed and you can see that the water splashes straight on the front glass. I don't think this has anything to do with the offset of the alloys.

If you are running alloys with a negative offset yes the sides of can get real dirty. Otherwise this water splashing on the front windshield is a serious design flaw.

That said, its always recommended to stick to the stock lug-nuts while changing alloys on the scorp'.
Old 26th April 2011, 09:55   #149
Senior - BHPian

now that you mention it my Bolero used to have this problem even with the stock steel wheels and my impression was that it was heightened when I plugged on the alloys - because even there the wheels used to stick out a bit.
same story in my Scorp. Yes the sides of the vehicle do get dirty on account of the sticking out wheels. And if you rest your arm on the sill with the window down in wet conditions, your arm/ shirt-sleeve will bear the brunt of plenty of road dirt.
But having said all this - it is certainly a design flaw somewhere which causes the water to splash onto the bonnet and the windscreen. Wonder what can be done in terms of their design itself to obviate this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I quite disagree with the fact that the negative offset of the alloys have something to do with the water splashing on the front windshield and the bonnet. My Scorp' runs on the stock OE rims and the problem is pretty evident.

I earlier have noticed this in the TATA Sumo's and was a little taken aback when I experienced this with the scorp'. Hit a puddle of water at a good speed and you can see that the water splashes straight on the front glass. I don't think this has anything to do with the offset of the alloys.

If you are running alloys with a negative offset yes the sides of can get real dirty. Otherwise this water splashing on the front windshield is a serious design flaw.

That said, its always recommended to stick to the stock lug-nuts while changing alloys on the scorp'.
Old 26th April 2011, 19:07   #150
BHPian

Hi guys,
I have recently purchased a 4wd Scorpio (2004/ Turbo 2.6) which needs tire replacement. My vehicle has Alloys and 255/70/15 Michelin LTX.
Retaining the 255/70/15 size, please advise amongst the following:
1. Michelin LTX
2. Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
3. Bridgestone Dueler A/T
Apart from the highway use, I will also be taking the vehicle off-road (I officiate in Desert Storm rally, and participate in OTRs too). Considering my usage, please advise the best suited option.
Cheers!
ashish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks