Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2011, 16:13   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

For ride comfort I do not think the JK's can beat Yoko's on any parameter. Ride comfort, handling, braking, traction etc etc. The Yoko's have soft side walls. My only nightmare with JK's was what came factory fitted on my Swift ZXi - one word horrible.

One who wants free skating lessons...errrr drifting lessons, should stick to Stock JK's (atleast on Swift)

My Scorpio (Feb 2004) had come with Bridgestone, about which I had no complaints. Maybe the JK's on the Scorpio nowadays is OK, but my experience says otherwise. I think one would know the difference once one has experienced the same car with Yoko's !!

Cheers
Old 24th March 2011, 21:16   #122
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends, here is an update. It seems that my Scorpio is coming with MRF tires. Not sure if this is a good or bad news. I don't even know which MRF tires are these. Will be going to check the vehicle tomorrow before it goes for registration. Please advice what should I do. Should I use these tires? Or should I just change them directly to Yokohama Geolanders or BF Goodrich LT or something similar? I won't be doing any kind of hardcore offiroading stuff but the car would definitely see loads of bad roads on my trips. Also I want some tires which will offer me good comfort and good grip on the highway. So what would be the recommendation here? Please help..
Old 24th March 2011, 23:28   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hi Friends, here is an update. It seems that my Scorpio is coming with MRF tires. Not sure if this is a good or bad news. I don't even know which MRF tires are these.
Those tyres would be MRF Wanderers.

Quote:
Please advice what should I do. Should I use these tires? Or should I just change them directly to Yokohama Geolanders or BF Goodrich LT or something similar? I won't be doing any kind of hardcore offiroading stuff but the car would definitely see loads of bad roads on my trips. Also I want some tires which will offer me good comfort and good grip on the highway. So what would be the recommendation here? Please help..

I'm not a fan of MRF at all. But if you're not going to do hardcore offroading, just regular bad roads, I'd suggest keep the Wanderers. They're tough durable tyres, and the roadholding doesn't matter because you're not really going to corner a Scorpio on its doorhandles .

If comfort is paramount to you, try going for Yokohama Geolandar HTs if you find them. Ex-bhpian Gurkha's...err, Gurkha uses these, and I'm amazed at how silent and cushioned the ride is.

And my personal suggestion. Please don't go for AT tyres on a 2wd vehicle just because the vehicle looks macho with them.
Old 25th March 2011, 02:02   #124
Senior - BHPian

^^ @predatorwheelz, thanks for the response. If they are Wanderers then I would probably keep them. I was worried that it would some other model of MRF.
When I said I won't do off-roading what I meant was things like our 4x4 guys do. I can't do that anyway in a 2WD vehicle. But I would definitely take car to mountains (planning for Ladakh and Spiti) and hills nearby and places where roads might be non-existing but still doable on 2WD vehicle. So for that I guess HT or LT would be good enough. Infact I asked Mahindra to provide Bridgestone Duellers but they said they can't confirm that as different vehicles come with different type of tires. Yes, the AT's look good on SUV type vehicles but I'll try to curb my temptations.
BTW, are the wanderers are Tubeless tyres? Or they are tubed tires?

And BTW, is there a thread on TBHP to see what kind of Alloys people are using on Scorpio? The official alloy showoff thread is too huge and doesn't seem to have too many scorpios. Just wanted to check out, no plans now to change to alloys though.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 25th March 2011 at 02:28.
Old 25th March 2011, 06:33   #125
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I made a lot of noise and demanded Bridgestone Dueler HT's. I got them.
You could think of getting Yokohama Geolandar AT tyres but they cost almost 7000 odd a tyre. 5 tyres wont leave you much change from 35-40grand.
there are lots of alloys in the market. cost can be anything between 5000-6000 per alloy. I got Aura wheels on my Scorp but unfortunately Aura is out of business now.
You can try to get HR alloys - they are good too.
Suggest that you push M&M to give you Bridgestones - the dealer can sometimes do a swap between your new Scorpio and another new Scorpio whose owner is not that particular about the brand of tyres. no harm in trying.
stick to the OEM bridgestones is my advice but try and buy a set of alloys in the open market. Since you are in Bangalore make a visit to PIT STOP near Lifestyle Richmond Road. He has loads of different alloys for sale. He imports them and sells. Also check Madhu's in Shanti Nagar - at the end of Richmond Road near the flyover.
just make sure that the alloys you buy can be fitted on using the original wheel nuts - this is better for overall safety because the original wheel nuts are better suited to the Scorpio than after market ones.

Quote:
^^ @predatorwheelz, thanks for the response. If they are Wanderers then I would probably keep them. I was worried that it would some other model of MRF.
When I said I won't do off-roading what I meant was things like our 4x4 guys do. I can't do that anyway in a 2WD vehicle. But I would definitely take car to mountains (planning for Ladakh and Spiti) and hills nearby and places where roads might be non-existing but still doable on 2WD vehicle. So for that I guess HT or LT would be good enough. Infact I asked Mahindra to provide Bridgestone Duellers but they said they can't confirm that as different vehicles come with different type of tires. Yes, the AT's look good on SUV type vehicles but I'll try to curb my temptations.
BTW, are the wanderers are Tubeless tyres? Or they are tubed tires?

And BTW, is there a thread on TBHP to see what kind of Alloys people are using on Scorpio? The official alloy showoff thread is too huge and doesn't seem to have too many scorpios. Just wanted to check out, no plans now to change to alloys though.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th March 2011 at 06:34.
Old 25th March 2011, 09:11   #126
Senior - BHPian

After 14K kms on My SLE,i can Vouch for Michelin Latitude Cross,though i have not subjected them to Serious Mudplugging,as mine is a 4X2.
I am pretty happy with these,as they are silent,and have decent grip levels,in case of high speed lane change or sudden braking.
Cost would be around 6800-7400 per tyre,i have seen these variations in price across stores
Old 25th March 2011, 13:06   #127
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ShankarBalan and Akshay for the inputs.
Well, another update, I'm at the showroom only and check the vehicle at their stockyard. The tires are MRF Wanderers and they are manufactured on 7th week of 2011. So I guess I'll stick with them as they seem to be good road tires as mentioned by quite a few people here.
Will check the alloys but that will take some time I guess.
Now waiting eagerly to get the vehicle this Sunday. Yipeeee...
Old 25th March 2011, 15:26   #128
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

MRF Wanderers certainly look nice. Good idea not to spend more money right now but to stay with the OEM tyres. Trouble is that even though these are OEM and brand new, when you go to change them, the value you get for them is really low. hence it is a waste of money.

Alloys on the other hand can be bought later and fitted later. One advantage I am seeing with my alloys is that they have widened the stance of the vehicle just a bit. this has resulted in better stability and improved handling around corners and while taking curves on hilly roads.

Ive had that vehicle 3 years now almost - am pretty satisfied with it so far. My only lament is that when I bought it, they had just introduced the 2.2 mhawk but they hadnt introduced Airbags and ABS and the 4WD, AT and so on.

Maybe its getting to the time for me to perhaps consider an upgrade!

Quote:
Thanks ShankarBalan and Akshay for the inputs.
Well, another update, I'm at the showroom only and check the vehicle at their stockyard. The tires are MRF Wanderers and they are manufactured on 7th week of 2011. So I guess I'll stick with them as they seem to be good road tires as mentioned by quite a few people here.
Will check the alloys but that will take some time I guess.
Now waiting eagerly to get the vehicle this Sunday. Yipeeee...
Old 25th March 2011, 16:25   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
MRF Wanderers certainly look nice. Good idea not to spend more money right now but to stay with the OEM tyres. Trouble is that even though these are OEM and brand new, when you go to change them, the value you get for them is really low. hence it is a waste of money.
Very rightly said. I don't want to waste money now, infact I'm totally broke now after all this down payment and stuff.
Quote:
Alloys on the other hand can be bought later and fitted later. One advantage I am seeing with my alloys is that they have widened the stance of the vehicle just a bit. this has resulted in better stability and improved handling around corners and while taking curves on hilly roads.
Which alloys are you using? Are they of the correct offset?
I'll try to find the correct offset and size for Scorpio and unless I find the right alloys I probably won't change it.

Quote:
Ive had that vehicle 3 years now almost - am pretty satisfied with it so far. My only lament is that when I bought it, they had just introduced the 2.2 mhawk but they hadnt introduced Airbags and ABS and the 4WD, AT and so on.

Maybe its getting to the time for me to perhaps consider an upgrade!
And I still haven't even got the vehicle and I'm already thinking about what the next upgrade will be . Well, this is a never ending process..
Old 25th March 2011, 16:27   #130
Senior - BHPian

^^What offset are you looking for?

Spike
Old 25th March 2011, 17:22   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Kaushik, as I told you, if it is the Wanderers, dont waste money on an upgrade.

Also, 255/65 R16 is very difficult to find nowadays. No Geolandars, no LTX, nothing available till at least middle of april.
Old 25th March 2011, 18:43   #132
Senior - BHPian

@Spike-arrestor, I think it should be around +55, am I right? I still haven't got the vehicle but I think the correct offset should be mentioned in the manual?
Thanks Nikhil, yeah I will definitely hid to your advice on that. I'm keeping the Wanderers for sure.
Old 25th March 2011, 18:49   #133
Senior - BHPian

@Kaushik, IIRC, the offset is not mentioned in the manual. You are right it is +55 mm.

Spike

PS- You can measure the wheel rim offset very easily.
Old 25th March 2011, 18:58   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Those tyres would be MRF Wanderers.
Between three Scorpios I have used two sets of Bridgestone, one set replacement size MRF GP II & MRF Wanderers.

The GP II were the best of the above four sets, the vehicle (2004 spec) felt more grounded and composed with these than the bouncy feel with the Bridgestone it came kitted with.
The Wanderers on the 2010 Scorp have seen 10,000 kms and are a very noisy set at anything over 70 kmph. They grip better than the Bridgstones that the 2009 Scorp came with, now only if they were not as loud.
I am mostly going to try a set of Michelins or repeat the GP II when these are done with.

manson.
Old 25th March 2011, 21:02   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Kaushik, IIRC, the offset is not mentioned in the manual. You are right it is +55 mm.

Spike

PS- You can measure the wheel rim offset very easily.
And that's what I would really love to know. Please do share how to measure it. All these time I just used to look for the info mentioned on the wheel oly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks