Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2013, 19:04   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
...goodyear tyres which were marketed with claimed life of 100,000 kms (was in their brochure).
Goodyear Duraplus do advertise 100,000+ km tyre life. Link to Goodyear's website. However, I am not sure if the same is mentioned for their Wrangler range, which is the size for the Scorpio. I recently had a set of 4 Goodyear Duraplus tyres installed on my Swift as reported here, but I don't expect to be able to report regarding their durability because the vehicle is not a heavy runner.
Quote:
Goodyear DuraPlus tyres with TredLife Technology can last up to 30% longer than other competitors, giving you more than 100,000km of service
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
2. Bridgestone duellers: ... Of the two sets, one lasted 1.5lac kms and the other is still going strong at 1.8lac kms.
3. MRF wanderers: ...will last 80-90k kms as per me. Good tyres, no bulges at all.

I'll be trying out the ceat czar's next when I'll be replacing the duellers in few months. Will keep you all updated.
1.8L km is just fantastic. Bridgestone does publish certain testimonials on their website where customers do report 100,000+ km of tyre life.
Quote:
Quote:
I used M&M scarpio make 2008 I travelled 1,00,000 kms today onwards and iwill expect another 10,000 kms travel so i am very happy bridge stone tyres i used tyre model D 689
Mancha Srinivasarao
Ongole, Andhra Pradesh
Quote:
I had purchased a Mahindra Scorpio SUV in 2007 & the vehicle was fitted with your BRIDGESTONE DUELER HT 689./ 235/70 R 16 tyres. These tyres had given me around 85,000 Kms of Mileage. After the above set had worn out, I replaced the Set of Four Tyres with the same make & size. This time I have already clocked more than One Lac Kilometers & I think I can still use them for another 8 to 10 thousand Kilometers.
Ish Mehra
Quote:
We are very happy to purchased Mahindra Scorpio Vehicle model 2010 (CAI Industries - Coimbatore). We satisfied to use your vehicle especially with your tyres (Bridgestone). Still now we aren't change the tyre (Running - 1,30,000 KMs Completed the last service). We are very happy to use your tyre.
R.V.Electricals
Coimbatore,Tamilnadu
Quote:
My name is Sureesh (Driver Scropio car Vechile No.KL BH 4267).My Vechile Purchased Before 4 Years,the vechile total running kilometer is 103414 .Your quality of tyre was excellent.
SureeshKumar .R
Alappuzha, Kerala
Quote:
This is to kindly info you that I have a scorpio with the dueler tyres which have run through 85000 kms. This is a remarkable feat in itself . This has also been thru all the roads in india including the highest motorable pass in worls ie Khardungla . I have got the pics. of the places too. I would like to appreciate the fact and also would like to gift the same to u if they might be of any value to u for the record. Please contact me only after 1400 hrs on working days.
Amit Das
coonoor ,Tamilnadu,India
I don't think my set of tyres have performed any more extraordinarily than what has been reported by many others, including you (though 1.8L km is stunning!).

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 18th July 2013 at 19:10.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:51   #227
Senior - BHPian

An update on Michelin tyres - Michelin India.

I saw some great Michelin Latitude tyres 235/70/R16 on a Tata Sumo which were great for highway and mud use, more of an A/T tyre and that is what it was called and made in France.

However the present Michilin LTX A/T being marketed by Michelin India is close to is as are the couple of other tread patterns of the Indian Michelin Latidute.

The LTX A/T from Michelin has three wire beads in the sidewall making it much stronger.

Mr. Mohit Kumar of Ceat India, the North India zonal head could not be contacted in his office to provide further information on the new CEAT Czar.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 20:14   #228
BHPian

Dont know if this is the right thread for this query - but since the query is related to Scorpio tyres, let me put it up here. @Mods: if this is not the appropriate thread, pls do move it to the correct one.

Last week I decided to fill up my tyres with nitrogen as it was mentioned in a couple of threads that using Nitrogen has some benefits - especially that of tyres running cooler than normal air.

Now, a couple of days after filling up Nitrogen, I checked the temperature of the tyres and they seem to be running at a higher temp

After running for some 20 odd kms, the temperature of all the tyres show up as 43-44 on TPMS. I vaguely remember the temp being in the range of 37-38 earlier. However, i am not sure if i remember correctly the "before" figures.

So my question - can anyone running a 2010 scorp and not using nitrogen confirm what is the temperature in the tyres after running some 20 odd kms.

Also, pls let me know if 44-45 is ok with Nitrogen?

Last edited by sach.sri : 23rd July 2013 at 20:15.
Old 24th July 2013, 03:52   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
So my question - can anyone running a 2010 scorp and not using nitrogen confirm what is the temperature in the tyres after running some 20 odd kms.

Also, pls let me know if 44-45 is ok with Nitrogen?
Dear sach.sri sir,

I am trusting your readings here. The very fact that your tires recorded higher temperature after running compared to normal air filled tires, proves that the nitrogen filled is not pure. The most common contaminant is water vapor. A mixture of nitrogen and water vapor does result in higher temperatures.
The advertised benefits of nitrogen filled tires is actually false. No, I am not saying that filling up the tires with pure nitrogen is harmful/not beneficial. But, here the key word is 'PURE'. The machines with the petrol bunks and mechanics are not so good. They have been shown to be not so effective in dispensing 'PURE' nitrogen.
Filling up tires with pure nitrogen is actually practiced in formula 1 racing, where the cooling effect of nitrogen is very beneficial. But, then, their nitrogen dispensing machines are extremely expensive and hi-tech. They actually dispense pure nitrogen.
There is only 1 advantage of filling nitrogen from the petrol bunks. Less frequency of topping up air in tires. Please note, I have not personally experienced this as I do not fill any of my tires with nitrogen. These are my observations after reading through this forum and from my friends who did experiment (in fact, one of my friend tops up nitrogen every 2 months).
My sincere advise would be to switch back to normal air. During our normal day to day running, nitrogen filling has no value.

As far as whether 44-45 is ok or not, sorry I won't be able to comment on this since I have never measured any temperature readings in my tires. The experts will guide you better.

I hope this helps,

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 18th August 2013, 11:07   #230
BHPian

Friends,

I replaced my Scorpio's JK Elanzos with stock Michelin LCs and could immediately detect a significant improvement in comfort levels and a good reduction in road noise after driving them for a little over 100 kms (Gurgaon-Delhi trip)

Although my JKs still had enough tread left for another 10-15 kms but their were visible rubber cracks and one of the better front tires somehow got a big cut recently so replacing the tires was the only option.

I had Bridgestones and Michelins in mind after reading posts in this section. But i am glad I switched to Michelins. My friend's got Bridgestones on his Scorpio and even he rated the ride comfort better.
Old 20th August 2013, 18:03   #231
BHPian

Planning for a Tyre upgrade for Scorpio VLX 2009 - Nov make with 56K on the odo

Option 1 : Try BS 235R
Option 2 : Upgrade to 255R - Is this suggested ?
Option 3 : Michilin -235R

I am open to any other suggestions from other members who are using scorpio .
Old 21st August 2013, 04:23   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post

Your stock size is 235/70/R16.

Option 1: BS (I am assuming its bridgestone? Kindly requesting you to not use such abbreviations; even if you wish, just list a key for the same)
- the duellers are good tyres. Their trump card is their good life and also they are rough and tough.
- other options: falken, pirelli, michelin latitude cross, michelin A/T, Bridgestone cab tyres and duellers, kumho's, kenda's, Apollo hawkz series and I think continental cross contacts (just check if they are available in this size). Ceat also did introduce the czar range, not sure if they are available for the scorpio though.

Option 2: The correct upsize is 255/65/R16. Please check with other owners whether this size fouls with the tyre wells or not. I have stocks.

Option 3: Michelin tyres are generally good. They are more better for highway driving, where they offer better grip and much quieter ride. Go for these if you are not into offroading. They are good.

Amongst the above options that have been listed, I personally would narrow down to: Bridgestone duellers (not the cabs), Michelins, Continentals, MRF's, Apollo's.
I have personally used the goodyears, bridgestones and MRF's. I definitely recommend bridgestone duellers and MRF wanderers. Both are good. Goodyears..stay away.

Keep us updated on your decision.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 21:12   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post

Dear Ranga,

I have used BS, Michelin and MRF wanderer and of the three I personally liked the roughed nature of the MRF wanderers.
They look and feel strong at the same time lasted the most among the three.
The only negative about MRF's I felt was that the tyre noise is little higher compared to the other other two. But since I drive with all windows up that doesn't matter.

I got all 4 tyres changed again very recently from BS to MRF's wanderers and it costed my 6.5k per tyre in Mumbai.

All the Best with your search. Do revert with your decision.
Old 4th September 2013, 21:26   #234

I have Scorpio Crde 2005 with 235/70 R16 and stock JK Elanzo. Done 65K now and since the tubed tyres are starting to make take my jack out more than my back can bear, I wish to change to something better.

I hardly drive on city roads (in Bangalore, I guess that is an irony, but that is where I live and see roads).
However, my main drive is on an average 250KM a day to my farm on highway and village (read state highway and bylanes) roads mostly.

The surfaces would be mostly pot-hole ridden, slushy and/or gravel where I drive normally. Even grassy some times.

Looking at all the experiences, I could not come to a decision on which tyres to buy: Michelin, Yokohama or Bridgestone.

Can someone kindly consider my driving conditions and suggest a decent tyre please? Money is not a constraint at all. But good performance on most surfaces (at least score a best out of) is sufficient.

Thanks!
Suhas
Old 5th September 2013, 17:25   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasd75 View Post
Looking at all the experiences, I could not come to a decision on which tyres to buy: Michelin, Yokohama or Bridgestone.

Can someone kindly consider my driving conditions and suggest a decent tyre please? Money is not a constraint at all. But good performance on most surfaces (at least score a best out of) is sufficient.
My pick: Bridgestone duellers H/T tyres (don't remember the model no., but these are the ones factory fitted in scorpio's).
Other brands to consider: MRF wanderers, Apollo Hawkz.

Look no further.

Thanks,
Simple_car

Last edited by Simple_car : 5th September 2013 at 17:34.
Old 5th September 2013, 20:10   #236
Senior - BHPian

If th vehicle assuming it is a 2 x 4 Scorpio is driven on city roads / highway there is no benefit in upgrading to 255 and changing the OE brand. Stick to Bridgestone HT Dueler 683.
Old 5th September 2013, 20:59   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
If th vehicle assuming it is a 2 x 4 Scorpio is driven on city roads / highway there is no benefit in upgrading to 255 and changing the OE brand. Stick to Bridgestone HT Dueler 683.
I am not upgrading to 255 but do have a lot of village road driving and mud/slush, grass and gravel; Basically, I go off the tarmac on my left side most times to give way to smaller vehicles on narrow roads. When it has rained, I would drive straight inside the slush created by tractors and such off the tarmac.

This drive sustenance is the object of my query: Also, I load my scorpio with my farm produce to the extent of one (1) ton+ sometimes and drive long.

Thanks for the inputs and I hope you folks can help me make up my mind before next Tuesday

Regards,
Suhas
Old 5th September 2013, 23:52   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasd75 View Post
I am not upgrading to 255 but do have a lot of village road driving and mud/slush, grass and gravel; Basically, I go off the tarmac on my left side most times to give way to smaller vehicles on narrow roads. When it has rained, I would drive straight inside the slush created by tractors and such off the tarmac.

This drive sustenance is the object of my query: Also, I load my scorpio with my farm produce to the extent of one (1) ton+ sometimes and drive long.
Oh, that changes your selection somewhat. So you actually need A/T tyres. Then I think you should consider the following:

- Continental cross contact A/T (I have no personal experience of these tyres, however it is regarded very highly by the moderator tsk, and some senior members in the forum. There is a dedicated thread on the same tyre by @karan). The load index is 106, which is better than 105 in the rest of the options. Yeah I know its not much of a difference but it's always good. These will be on the pricier side.

- Apollo Hawkz A/T tyre. Definitely a good tyre for your kind of use.

- Bridgestone Dueller H/T D689 (There is a A/T tyre from bridgestone, but I have no personal experience). H/T itself is a very capable tyre.

- MRF wanderers. Very very abuse friendly tyres. Again, highly recommended. Will handle the slush and mud that you ask for fairly well.

Just remember, since you are carrying a load in excess of a ton at times, put in a tube in all the tyres. Tube tyres are much better for load applications in general.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 6th September 2013, 00:12   #239
BHPian

Not a Scorpio user, but I have Safari which has the same tire size. I recently changed my BS to CEAT Czar A/T tires and they seems to be pretty good in terms of handling and grip, it got tough sidewall as well. Another advantage of CEAT is you can get 245/70/16 for the price of other 235s and there is 1 year unconditional warranty. I had paid 6.5K per tire, got it from JC road.

You may check my post in the Safari tire thread for the options considered.

Last edited by LionX : 6th September 2013 at 00:24.
LionX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 07:46   #240
sat
BHPian

what Tyre pressure do you prefer for your Scorpio

What Tyre pressure do you maintain in your Scorpio?

I decided to replace the OE JK tyres at the showroom, June 2012 on a new 2wd scorpio with Yokohama Geolander A/T-S, tyres which are used in the countryside (dirt road 50%, village tarmac road 50%).

Since the tarmac road where I live are in poor condition with potholes etc, I do not maintain the suggested 32psi pressure, even 30 psi is uncomfortable, have found that 28psi give a much softer ride.
For long distance drives on a 4 lane highway I do increase increase the tyre pressure. Always keep a pressure gauge & portable air compressor in the vehicle.

Most Viewed