Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2009, 04:32   #211
Senior - BHPian

hi guys i am have recently joined teambhp.I own a 'o6 baleno vxi running on stock 185/65 goodyear tubeless on STOCK 14 inch 11 spoke alloys.I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade it to a 205/45 size? What will be the advantages of going in for directional tyres? I suppose i will have to upgrade the rims as well,how much will a good set of rims cost me?Preferably aura/HR or likes.My car has done 20000kms and tyres still have a lot of life left in them.As i have found out that they will go for dirt cheap if i sell them is it advisable to keep the rim/tyres just in case there is a need of switching back?What will be the advantages if i keep to stock tyres until there is some real need to change them?I find the stock setup enough for good grip and handling and an upgrade is in my mind for better looks alone than anything else.Upgrading to wider tyres,will it increase the rolling resistance and will my car become marginally slower?Kindly help as i do not have much info on tyres and wheels and mainly have worked on engine/mechanicals of my cars only
Old 19th February 2009, 15:40   #212

175/80/R13 For Baleno

Hi Guys..
I want to replace tyres For my Baleno Vxi.Kindly suggest me the best company name & apporox prices For 175/80/R13.
I currently have Mrf Zvts Installed on the car

Thanks in Advance...

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th February 2009 at 16:12. Reason: search please
Old 20th February 2009, 01:13   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
hi guys i am have recently joined teambhp.I own a 'o6 baleno vxi running on stock 185/65 goodyear tubeless on STOCK 14 inch 11 spoke alloys.I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade it to a 205/45 size? What will be the advantages of going in for directional tyres? I suppose i will have to upgrade the rims as well,how much will a good set of rims cost me?Preferably aura/HR or likes.My car has done 20000kms and tyres still have a lot of life left in them.As i have found out that they will go for dirt cheap if i sell them is it advisable to keep the rim/tyres just in case there is a need of switching back?What will be the advantages if i keep to stock tyres until there is some real need to change them?I find the stock setup enough for good grip and handling and an upgrade is in my mind for better looks alone than anything else.Upgrading to wider tyres,will it increase the rolling resistance and will my car become marginally slower?Kindly help as i do not have much info on tyres and wheels and mainly have worked on engine/mechanicals of my cars only
Hi,
unless you want a lot of show and slightly compromised go, dont go for the 205/45 R16 (yes 16 inch rims is the right upsize for that profile) tyres..the ride will be bone jarring, the pickup slow, Fuel efficiency low, low speed steering will be hard and you will get a lot of mud on the body from the tyres that jut wide outside the body work.
To know more about tyres, go to Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 2

I would request that you remain with the current size..or maybe upsize to 195/60R14. I would not recommend to go beyound 195/55R15 in any case.
..Though goodyears are not tyres that I will recommend..I use michelins after my tryst with goodyears (same size 185/65R14) and feel happier.
Old 20th February 2009, 01:16   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswami4 View Post
Hi Guys..
I want to replace tyres For my Baleno Vxi.Kindly suggest me the best company name & apporox prices For 175/80/R13.
I currently have Mrf Zvts Installed on the car

Thanks in Advance...

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.
Go for 165/80R13 or 185/70R13 as they are the correct upsizes. I love michelins..you can go for the XM1 / energy XM1 series if available in this size.
Old 9th March 2009, 03:36   #215
Senior - BHPian

Thanx buffetman,i have deicided to keep the stock settings now.I would however like to know of your experience with goodyears,as the goodyears on my car were default ones from factory i have not got a chance to know about other tyres.The handling of the car is great and still one of the best amongst the current newer mid-sizers.I have driven a baleno lxi a few number of times and it handles alot different quite uninspiring but that should be due to puny jk tyres that came as default on the lxi model i guess.I have no idea about michelins.And what are pros and cons of using directional tyres.?
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:12   #216
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I had the Goodyears for the first 25K Kms after which I started getting a roaring sound inside the cabin at 45-50 kmph..talked to the Maruti people and they replaced the wheel bearings promptly...the sound refused to go away...thereby indicating that the bearings were not to fault.
After that we tried swapping the tyres with a new baleno and the sound went away..to cut a long story short..I did a lot of followup with Goodyear who then agreed to replace my tyres if I paid 50% of the price... the tyrewallah in turn agreed to exchange these new gyears for Michelins in case I paid the differential (about 30% more expensive back then).
So I shifted to Michelins (same size..185/65R14) about 31k km back and still love them. The ride is slightly better and also they are very silent compared to NCT5s. Grip is average..I would say similar to NCT5s and not better in any case. But no tyre roar despise a lot of hard driving and they feel slightly more connected to the road at high speeds..or maybe it is just my imagination.
The Michelin Energy XM1 I have are Asymmetric and not Directional tyres. Asymettric tyres have a different pattern on the "inside" and "outside". So you cannot "flip" the tyre over on the rim. The advantage is that inside and outside of the tyre experiences different type of forces during cornering and hence the tyre design caters to this anamoly.
Directional tyres like the Goodyear F1 or Bridgestone Potenzas normally can be "rotated" only in one direction. That means that tyre rotation can be done only on one side of the car (Left Front with Left Rear and Right Front with Right Rear..unless you flip the tyre on the rim) but the tyre can generally be flipped over on the rim.
Many of the directional tyres have grooves to reduce Aquaplaning and provide better grip on wet roads.
More on the wheel and tyre bible as described in my previous post

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 2

reg

Last edited by Buffetfan : 22nd March 2009 at 23:22.
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:30   #217
BHPian

Own a baleno altura but seems this thread should be correct. On stock tires & rims( if they're called that), wanted to upsize for i feel the lack of grip and have heard it improves breaking.
What exactly is the procedure, i also need alloys. Do i first get an alloy set and then the tires, i presume alloys will have some sort of size as well. I'm a complete novice in the tire department. Try and feed in as many details as possible.
Old 23rd March 2009, 01:19   #218
Senior - BHPian

On stock tyres, go for 185/70R13 tubeless tyres (your current size must be 165/80R13, tube type). while changing tyres check if rims are not bent and generally rust free. If rims are in good shape, you dont need to change them. If rims are in bad shape..you can pick up a decent rim for around Rs 100 to 500 (assuming you can negotiate) from your local tyrewallah or pay the high Suzuki Genuine Spare Part price..

If you want alloy wheels (not compulsory for tubeless tyres as some others suggest), you can go in for 14 inch alloys as a bigger alloy looks better. In this case the otions are 175/70R14, 185/65R14 or 195/60R14. I like the 185.65R14 option as this provides a good balance between ride and handling.

Tyres - Michelins are good and so are Yokohoma. If taking Michelins, go for Energy XM1+ if you wand a good silent ride and normal grip. Go in for Pilot Preceda for slightly harsher ride and better grip. tubeless tyres recommended as they are safer and in case of puncure, the air loss is slow. The ride is slightly better as well.
More on the wheel and tyre bible in the link I posted earlier. You can also search a lot on wheels and tyre upsize discussions.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 23rd March 2009 at 01:22.
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:53   #219
BHPian

Thank you, I still have another few thousand left on the tyres, Within a month i think i'll get it done, thankyou for your suggestion. Will go in for the alloys as they add the look, saw another altura and it looked yummy due to the sporty appeal of the wheels.
It'll be either 185/65R14 or 195/60R14. What do you guys recommend and what's the difference?
Michelins,Energy XM1, i've heard of these, what's the cost ?

Last edited by sukrit7 : 23rd March 2009 at 12:54. Reason: spelling mistake, lol
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:10   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
It'll be either 185/65R14 or 195/60R14. What do you guys recommend and what's the difference?
Michelins,Energy XM1, i've heard of these, what's the cost ?
Both sizes are around the Rs 4000 range. (+/- 200)
Old 23rd March 2009, 23:29   #221

Two issues with my tyres

Hi folks
I'm new to team-bhp and the Baleno gang!

I recently purchased a Baleno. It has 205/60R/14 tyres.

Now, if it was in my control, I would not have gone for these oversized tyres. But the fact is that they remain.

The problems are:

1. The wheels scrape the wells when it is fully loaded on speed bumps / pot holes. I have to rein in my natural style due to this .

The problem is confounded by the fact that the AM at Kalyani motors whom I know, threw his hands up and told me that i have to live with it . He advised against going for spacers since it would disturb the engineering aspects.
Finally, tongue-in-cheek he told me to check with the local mechs on this!

I know this has been discussed before, but specific to my tyre size, anything you guys want to suggest?

2. The brake pads started making metal-rubbing sound few days back. Took it to two mechs - My old local mech (whom i used to approach before relying on Kalyani motors) and Kaylani motors.

The mech at Kalyani told me that the brake pads are worn out and the inside of the disc is worn out.

The local mech told me that the brake pad needs to be replaced.

Now the cost:

Kalyani: Brake pad + Disc + brake fluid +labor = 5700 INR.
Local: Brake pads + brake fluid + labor = 1000

My questions:
3. Can only the brake pads be changed temporarily? Or is it advisable to change both pads and discs together?

4. I have heard that the brake booster can be affected if the pads are not fitted correctly. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance!
Old 24th March 2009, 00:19   #222
Senior - BHPian

About the tyres, I would agree with the GM, there's nothing much that can be done apart from fixing spacers or wheels with negative offset. Both are not advised though unless you get a professionally made spacer kit.
Old 25th March 2009, 18:17   #223
BHPian

Baleno - Rear wheel scrapping with 15 inch wheels

Hi, I have fit 205/55/R15 with HR Alloys on my 2006 Baleno LXI. The rear wheels scrap the mudguard at the front when the car is loaded with 4 people. Can any body let me know a solution fot it
Old 25th March 2009, 20:25   #224
Senior - BHPian

Guys, just a question, does Michelin have 195/55 R15 size tires? If not what's the other size available from michelin for this profile?
Old 25th March 2009, 21:07   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshshanmugam View Post
Hi, I have fit 205/55/R15 with HR Alloys on my 2006 Baleno LXI. The rear wheels scrap the mudguard at the front when the car is loaded with 4 people. Can any body let me know a solution fot it
Wrong upsize, that's for a swift. Also the correct upsize for the Baleno is 205/50/R15 and trust me this is an overkill.

You are better off with the 195/55/R15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks