Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2018, 11:40   #46
BHPian

Re: 2018 BMW 320d - 5 runflats gone bad in 4 months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Are BMW Alloys generally on the softer side?

What am I missing here? 🤔
Not really. If the full weight of the car falls on a rotating wheel rim, there is bound to be abrasion damage. Entirely expected. The problem lies with the runflat tyres
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 12:31   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Are BMW Alloys generally on the softer side?

What am I missing here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Not really. If the full weight of the car falls on a rotating wheel rim, there is bound to be abrasion damage. Entirely expected. The problem lies with the runflat tyres
Well, I won't be surprised if the BMW alloys have thinner walls/ barrel to keep the weight in check. I have only seen cracked/ bent rims before but this has lost a lot of metal as if something just sheared off a portion. I don't think the Designers back in Germany can even dream about such road conditions in 2020 anywhere. And we are talking about a 6 lane Toll- road

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th November 2018 at 12:34.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 13:01   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
BMW India must address this issue and offer full-size spares, Run Flats simply don't work here, this tyre will not go for few metres against publicised 50-80 Km on run-flats. If I was not having the extra tyre, there is no way I could have completed my journey.
So, the run-flats don't run when they are flat? This defeats the entire purpose of having these tyres That is like saying tubeless tyres will work well only with tube inside them.

If this is the case, then wouldn't switching to normal but better tyres make more sense? Do any other brands use this type of tyres or is it a BMW thing here?
Old 29th November 2018, 13:12   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
So, the run-flats don't run when they are flat? This defeats the entire purpose of having these tyres That is like saying tubeless tyres will work well only with tube inside them.

If this is the case, then wouldn't switching to normal but better tyres make more sense? Do any other brands use this type of tyres or is it a BMW thing here?
They run only when you have a normal puncture and the tyre has lost air. When the tyre is heavily damaged or shredded they won't work. Run flats have their limitations which is why many owners opt for the insurance of having a space saver in the boot even while running on run flats.

Problem with run flats is that when there is a sudden undulation on the road, the thick sidewalls don't have enough flexibility to flex and absorb the energy resulting in a bulge or tear in the sidewall. They also transfer more energy to your alloys which is why your chances of having a bent alloy is more with RFTs.
Santoshbhat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 14:01   #50
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine had no problems with the RFTs on his 328i - Continentals - for about 14 months, i.e. until following his complaint about some rattles and the service guys reduced the air pressure as a jugaad. Sure enough within a week he had two bulges in the tires. Actually they were an old batch and had become stiff already.

He switched them for Bridgestones (some new model had come out) under the warranty and the ride immediately improved and he did not have much problems with them even on the bumpy Mumbai roads. Again until he gave it for valet parking. Next day his cleaner saw a scrape on the tire. Sure enough a few days later - kaput.

RFTs are very very sensitive to air pressure and the slightest kerbing. Too much air pressure - you destroy the rim, too little you may destroy both. In fact the air pressure requires to be increased for higher loads and speeds! I think it says 38 psi for load and speed > 120. BMW should understand Indian indiscipline and over (sorry under engineer!!) engineer accordingly.

I have seen enough cases of drivers filling in air at the expressway PPs after long runs when the tires are super hot - sure recipe for blowouts. Another friend's driver thought I was mad for instructing him to fill in 2 points higher for the highway runs - he said it should be 5 points lower since the tires become "hot" and refused to be 'educated'.
sandeep108 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 17:29   #51
BHPian

My 330i will be completing 1 year in December. I have received Insurance renewal quotation from the dealer along with a quotation for renewal of BMW Secure.

As per the Secure policy, the benefit under alloy replacement will be payable only if the damage to the alloy has happened in the same event as the tyre. So, if there is a bent alloy with no damage to the tyre then I am not eligible for the replacement. Considering this, is it worth renewing the BMW Secure?
Old 29th November 2018, 20:16   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GS- View Post
As per the Secure policy, the benefit under alloy replacement will be payable only if the damage to the alloy has happened in the same event as the tyre. So, if there is a bent alloy with no damage to the tyre then I am not eligible for the replacement. Considering this, is it worth renewing the BMW Secure?
How will they prove that the alloy damage and tyre damage didn't happen together? I don't think the idea is to defraud, what they are saying is they will pay for alloy damage in an accident or tyre burst, if you kerb the alloy then they may not pay.
Old 29th November 2018, 20:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My 330i will be completing 1 year in December. I have received Insurance renewal quotation from the dealer along with a quotation for renewal of BMW Secure.

What is difference in cost of insurance with and without Secure?

Check if normal insurance has an add on cover for tyres and alloys without these many citations.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 20:49   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Most of the insurance cover tyre/ Alloy or both if there are damages to car elsewhere. So you lose NCB on the whole insurance. Whereas in the secure even if you claim tyre damage, nothing will happen to your NCB on the main insurance or at least that happens in the first Year and should be the same for subsequent Years on renewals.

Now, I will suggest you to double check this Alloy/ Tyre replacement as a set with some other dealer or the BMW India directly, normally they reply in 2-3 days. Do check premium with The New India and if there is an appreciable gap, I will go with normal insurance and buy an extra tyre with the difference.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 21:26   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
How will they prove that the alloy damage and tyre damage didn't happen together? I don't think the idea is to defraud, what they are saying is they will pay for alloy damage in an accident or tyre burst, if you kerb the alloy then they may not pay.

What I understood from reading their policy and a talk with the dealership is that if there is damage to the alloy and no damage to the tyre then in that case the rims won't be covered under Secure. Please see the relevant page from the Secure policy document attached.

Kindly refer to Dr Mohit's thread where both the rims were damaged with no damage to the tyres.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post3430281

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
What is difference in cost of insurance with and without Secure?

Check if normal insurance has an add on cover for tyres and alloys without these many citations.

Insurance is from ICICI Lombard and I am opting for the following addons:

1. Zero Dep, 2. Consumables, 3. Engine Protect and 4. Car replacement/ return to invoice.

Have asked the executive to find out if ICICI has any additional coverage for tyres/ rims. The representative from ICICI Lombard could not even access my policy as according to him it was done through a different channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Most of the insurance cover tyre/ Alloy or both if there are damages to car elsewhere. So you lose NCB on the whole insurance. Whereas in the secure even if you claim tyre damage, nothing will happen to your NCB on the main insurance or at least that happens in the first Year and should be the same for subsequent Years on renewals.

Now, I will suggest you to double check this Alloy/ Tyre replacement as a set with some other dealer or the BMW India directly, normally they reply in 2-3 days. Do check premium with The New India and if there is an appreciable gap, I will go with normal insurance and buy an extra tyre with the difference.

Have discussed this with the ICICI representative as well as the dealership. According to them I can claim insurance on damaged tyres/ alloys only in case of an accident. One off incident wherein only the alloy is damaged won't be covered. However, I have asked them to re-check.
Attached Thumbnails
2018 BMW 320d - 5 runflats gone bad in 4 months!-bmwsecurerenewalpolicywordings7.jpg  

-GS- is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 21:54   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantc93 View Post
So after a lot of to and fro, we came down to three options -
1. Replace the rims and tyres to 17inch - cost to be borne by BMW India
2. Change the tyres to a different brand - 2 tyres cost to be borne by BMW India and 2 to be replaced under Secure Advance
Think BMW have come up with a decent solution for your problem. My X3 has 245/50 R18s, and I have not had a problem bar one puncture due to a nail getting through. I do keep tires a tad overinflated at about 35 psi per TPMS. And the profile is much larger. So I don’t think this is a run flat issue - it seems to be a super low profile issue, and moving to the 17 inchers seems like the best option for you. Would not consider suing them - they have behaved decently

Last edited by Hayek : 29th November 2018 at 21:56.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 21:01   #57

Quick update here,
I have been provided with the following 2 options of rims and Continental or Bridgestone for tyres.
Anything to consider in the rims apart from looks? The multi-spoke one looks cooler than the 5-spoke one to me. As for tyres, I don't think there would be too much of a difference between Continental and Bridgestone.

Name:  image002 2.png
Views: 1876
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  image003 2.png
Views: 1933
Size:  100.9 KB
Old 1st December 2018, 21:42   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

You can check the DOT code on tires to find the age of the tires and the plant they are made in. But I think with this profile, you can afford to be less paranoid and either of these will do the job just fine.

I prefer the multi spoke wheels. You can also check the price of both designs and go for the more expensive design if you are neutral
Old 1st December 2018, 21:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer the Multi spoke too, with Continental Tyres.

Do you have any option for the profile?
Old 1st December 2018, 23:27   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantc93 View Post
Quick update here,
I have been provided with the following 2 options of rims and Continental or Bridgestone for tyres.
My pick would be 5-spoke as it looks more sportier and easier to clean.

For tyres, Continental.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks