Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2018, 20:38   #61
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2018 BMW 320d - 5 runflats gone bad in 4 months!

Related to last few posts.

1) Runflats can be very comfortable and long lasting. My Pirelli P0 earlier lasted 33k kms and now P7s seem on track. P0s were better overall.
Size 245/50 R18.

2) BMW alloys are very well balanced initially but are too delicate for Indian Road conditions and deform very easily even when there is no damage to tyres. Have faced this issue. Don't get carried away by Xdrive series advertisements.

3) My Runflats did carry on for decent no of kms after losing Air.

4) The space saver kit Jack and other hardware etc. is good. I have used it. But the space saver itself is for very short distance, reduced speed usage. A full size spare would have been better, but then no boot space.

Last edited by ACM : 13th December 2018 at 20:44.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 16:02   #62

SO. FINALLY.

I took delivery on Thursday, 13th Dec. They managed to disappoint even after having the vehicle for longer than a month, by putting in the wrong alloys. I had asked for the multi spoke one but they put in the 5 spoke star. Sat there for an hour for an explanation, but all I got was that it was a goof up and they surprisingly had BOTH rims available and were ready to replace & road test & deliver the next day. I sat and thought long and hard, went to the workshop to see how they looked compared to my initial choice. After long deliberation with dad, finally took delivery that day with those alloys. For some reason, I felt I could make them sportier with some gray gloss on the insides. The other one (my initial choice) is better suited to the luxury line, not the sport line (or at least that's how my dad convinced me )

So all good till now. Have driven ~300 kms till now, didn't notice a substantial difference in anything.
  • I am feeling slightly higher bodyroll on sharp turns at speeds over 80. Expected? Just in my head? Not sure. Do I care? Definitely not, I got my Batmobile back after a month!
  • 4 or 5 times, I have heard this squeaky sharp noise coming when I apply the brakes. Initially, for the first couple of months, on putting reverse or on applying brakes at low speeds, there used to be a heavy noise, like a heavy object is being lifted or something. It was sort of expected I guessed and after some usage, it went away. This noise now appears to be similar, and has come up 4-5 times randomly on applying brakes. It's like a squeal, friction rubbing. Difficult to describe and too rare to record. Could it be because the car was parked for 30-35 days? I haven't noticed the noise today in a 50 km run.
anantc93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 23:30   #63
ais
BHPian

I'm taking delivery of the outgoing 330i M Sport Shadow edition in March and will drive it from Mumbai to Chandigarh (from showroom to home)! Any suggestions on changing the alloy wheels to 17"? I will get the Bridgestone Potenza runflats in either sixe anyway, since I was very happy with them in my previous car (320d Sportline).
Old 1st February 2019, 03:58   #64
BHPian

2018 BMW 320d - 5 runflats gone bad in 4 months!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1548973326.034249.jpg2018 BMW 320d - 5 runflats gone bad in 4 months!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1548973355.009671.jpg

A lot has been covered in the thread and the op has now replaced the rims and tyres. I am on 18 inch rft and have covered 1.2 l Kms in my e90 330i. As most of you are aware the ride is hard and one can feel a rupee coin on the road. However the feel and handling is at a different level to my friends 17inch setup. It sits tighter and can go through bends faster.

I have absolutely no issues with reliability of the tyres but my concern has been the scraping of the rims with the kerb due to its low profile tires. I have to blame it on my driving style for that really but I hope the rims were slightly stronger.

Cheers
Piyush
piyush350 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 08:01   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
I'm taking delivery of the outgoing 330i M Sport Shadow edition in March and will drive it from Mumbai to Chandigarh (from showroom to home)! Any suggestions on changing the alloy wheels to 17"? I will get the Bridgestone Potenza runflats in either sixe anyway, since I was very happy with them in my previous car (320d Sportline).
Congratulations!

I got mine 3 weeks ago (330i M Sport Shadow) and there is absolutely no issue whatsover with stock alloys and tyres. Ride is super comfortable, handling is good (of course have been only driving in the city and around as still running in) and does not bottom out on any speed breakers.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 1st February 2019 at 08:16.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 08:23   #66
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Congratulations!

I got mine 3 weeks ago (330i M Sport Shadow) and there is absolutely no issue whatsover with stock alloys and tyres. Ride is super comfortable, handling is good (of course have been only driving in yhe city and around as still running in) and does not bottom out on any speed breakers.
The issues if there are any as reported in this thread may arise at highway speeds. I will use the car mostly on highways, and I do drive fast.

Going off topic, but running in is best done on highway (as long as within recommended speed and no emergency braking early on) because the car gets to go through all possible speeds (avoiding holding constant speed for long periods- which happens anyway on our highways), gears, RPMs. I will be adding the BMW petrol additive with the first fuel fill.
Old 1st February 2019, 11:51   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The issues if there are any as reported in this thread may arise at highway speeds. I will use the car mostly on highways, and I do drive fast.

Going off topic, but running in is best done on highway (as long as within recommended speed and no emergency braking early on) because the car gets to go through all possible speeds (avoiding holding constant speed for long periods- which happens anyway on our highways), gears, RPMs. I will be adding the BMW petrol additive with the first fuel fill.

As per the owner handbook of the 330i, one should restrict the speed to max. 160kmph during running in , I am following that.

Trust me stock alloys and tyres on the 330i don't need a change. I have driven on bad roads (it's not a big deal to find bad roads in and around Pune ) and the car just glides. Surprisingly comfortable for all the bad press I have read about 18" low profile RFTs.

BTW, my car came with Bridgestone Potenza's unlike the original poster of this thred whose car came with Goodyear RFTs - just for the record.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 1st February 2019 at 11:52.
Old 1st February 2019, 14:33   #68
ais
BHPian

I have just checked with the dealer's Product Genius. He says there won't be any problem at all. They have sold several 330i and not had issues. The issues are due to incorrect pressure.

I intend using nitrogen from the outset and keeping the pressure at 33 lbs. Then see how the car feels. In 320d Sportline, I set the pressure at 31 because that felt best.
Old 3rd February 2019, 13:28   #69
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations!

I got mine 3 weeks ago (330i M Sport Shadow) and there is absolutely no issue whatsover with stock alloys and tyres. Ride is super comfortable, handling is good (of course have been only driving in the city and around as still running in) and does not bottom out on any speed breakers.
What pressure are you maintaining?

As mentioned, I decide the optimal pressure based on how the car 'feels'. Couple of pounds high, and the car feels the rough surfaces. Couple of pounds less than ideal, and the car rolls lesser in neutral. 28 lbs seems ideal in a Baleno and Esteem, 31 in 320d, for example.

If you (or any other member) has used the 320d F30, AND the 330i, is the suspension similar or stiffer in the latter? It takes a while to get used to a car to 'feel' what is ideal, so any advance information is helpful.
Old 4th February 2019, 17:20   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whatever they filled in during PDI before delivery. The sticker on the driver side B pillar needs some decoding, I will just call up the dealer and ask what PSI they filled in during PDI, because it's perfect. Just had my first drive on the expressway and man the way 330i rides and handles is surreal. And the expansion joints were simply dispatched, my friend in the rear was snoring! It's no wonder that 330i handles better than my Laura, but she also rides better than Laura which is amazing!

This is my first BMW so can not comment on the other part of your question regarding 320d, but the stock setup on the 330i (suspension, wheels, tyres) is just spot on!
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 23:07   #71

Hi guys! Didn't notice that the thread picked up again.
So for the record, I was maintaining pressure exactly as described on the side panel (32 front 35 rear). The issue was probably with Goodyears because I have a friend in office who has a 330i with 18" Potenzas and has had no problems whatsoever (except one case when he ran over a small stone at 160kph and the tyre blew instantly).
anantc93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 11:41   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantc93 View Post
Hi guys! Didn't notice that the thread picked up again.
So for the record, I was maintaining pressure exactly as described on the side panel (32 front 35 rear). The issue was probably with Goodyears because I have a friend in office who has a 330i with 18" Potenzas and has had no problems whatsoever (except one case when he ran over a small stone at 160kph and the tyre blew instantly).

Guys,

I have now done 2700km on my 330i including one Pune Ahmedabad Pune trip. As the running was complete by the time we reached Surat, drove freely after that on the onward leg and in fact quite a lot of the return leg was in Sport and/or M. Potenza RFTs are awesome - silent, comfortable and grippy. Car was planted during fast lane changes and corners, and flyover expansion joints and some tar patches were dispatched without slowing down (at speeds well past what's recommended during the running in phase ). Potenzas took everything their stride and even back seat passengers were comfortable - no jolts, no oscillations. I have become a big fan of Potenza RFTs and the 330i suspension - BMW has nailed it for India .

Car is still running on the air filled by the dealer before delivery, I haven't had to refill at all. Here are warm tyre pressures after 30 min of driving off:

2018 BMW 320d - 5 runflats gone bad in 4 months!-actual.jpeg

Here is the recommendation plate on driver side B pillar:

2018 BMW 320d - 5 runflats gone bad in 4 months!-recommendation.jpeg

I have pointed out the numbers recommended for the stock 330i tyre sizes with full load (5 passengers). The rear ones are at 44 PSI as recommended and front ones are at 44 PSI instead of the recommended 39, but because there is absolutely no issue, I haven't changed anything!

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 4th March 2019 at 11:42.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 12:31   #73
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Car is still running on the air filled by the dealer before delivery, I haven't had to refill at all.

I have pointed out the numbers recommended for the stock 330i tyre sizes with full load (5 passengers). The rear ones are at 44 PSI as recommended and front ones are at 44 PSI instead of the recommended 39, but because there is absolutely no issue, I haven't changed anything!

Cheers!
Thank you for the update- that just helped reduce my Buyers Remorse post booking my 330i

I'm going to the dealership now to prepare the car and understand its functioning. Filling it with 97 octane petrol. Replacing air in tyres with nitrogen. I would strongly suggest you do that too. I've discussed with Karan Shah, who runs an engine/car performance upgrade setup and petrol pump at Ballard Estate. His advice is similar to my experience with 320d- to FEEL the car and decide the best pressure. Too high, and the car feels rough with a 'brittle' contact with the road. Too low, and the car feels soggy. One can detect a variation of couple of lbs with experience- I can feel that in even 1 of the 4 tyre, and have seen 2 more friends feel their cars this way.

It's a good idea to have a dedicated pressure guage.

Last edited by ais : 4th March 2019 at 12:41.
Old 26th January 2020, 10:02   #74
BHPian

BMW 520d Run flat Tyre issues

Hi

I drive BMW 520d 2018 car which came fitted with Pirelli 245/45/R18 100 Y RFT and havedriven 27 K till now.

However last month while driving to Trichy had two tyre wall cuts ( Right front and rear) in the middle of the night abt 40 kms before Trichy as I went at a high speed (100 kms) over a pot hole. The tyre burst was showing on the steering wheel and I changed the front tyre to space saver spare wheel and drove to Trichy.

As tyres of same size were not available in Trichy. We carried the wheels in another car to Madurai and got Pirelli Tyre at BMW service centre and another Michelin tyre at Sundar Tyres. After returning to Trichy we completed the trip to Rameshwaram, Chettinad and back to Madurai. I realised that there was another tyre burst ( Left rear). We did not get a RFT in Madurai and Sundar tyre procured the Pirelli 245/45R18 RFT tyre from Coimbatore and have returned back to Bangalore.

After the trip, I did not use the car much and have been using it for last two days in not so good roads. I have realised today that the front left tyre has a cut.

Effectively I had 4 tyre wall issues within 2K kms and hence planning to switch to Michelin 245/R45/18 tubeless and hence need advice on the following

1. Do I need to change all the four tyres to tubeless from RFT or can I change front tyres now and keep rear in RFT till next tyre cut and change then?

2. Is the tyre pressure on Tubeless need to be maintained at same levels as RFT?

3. Do you recommend any other tyre Make considering India roads ?

Mods : pls merge it with any other thread as appropriate. Regret for inconvenience.
Old 26th January 2020, 10:10   #75
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 520d Run flat Tyre issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshurs View Post

Effectively I had 4 tyre wall issues within 2K kms and hence planning to switch to Michelin 245/R45/18 tubeless and hence need advice on the following
There are multiple threads on this, please go through

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post2522505 (Run Flats could go Flat)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...-4-months.html (2018 BMW 320d - 5 runflats gone bad in 4 months!)

Quote:
1. Do I need to change all the four tyres to tubeless from RFT or can I change front tyres now and keep rear in RFT till next tyre cut and change then?
Tyre pattern will be different, haven't done personally so can't answer. Best will be to change all 4 if you do outstation drives.

Quote:
2. Is the tyre pressure on Tubeless need to be maintained at same levels as RFT?
Little higher but I will go with what's mentioned on the plate. Don't let it go down.

Your best bet will be to change to Michelin, have a look at this thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...d-india-5.html (Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!)
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks