Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2020, 20:43   #76

Re: 2018 BMW 320d - 5 runflats gone bad in 4 months!

Hello all

I have just joined this forum. Glad to be here.

I think this BMW Shadow edition has really bad tyres. Plus, the profile of 101/102 is really not suited to indian roads. So I have had the same issues as main thread here..

I bought the car in 2018 August.. I had a tyre burst on LH FR side few days back.. Managed to reach home, but the tyre was in shreds by the time I reached. Next day I discovered bulges and some alloy damage on two other tyres.. Alloy damage doesn't look serious. God only knows whether these bulges were the cause or effect of the tyre burst incident.. I am now scarred for the life with this BMW, will always have that nagging fear in mind!

In any case, I put the car under insurance. They agreed for replacing LH FR side (tyre + alloy) and one more tyre, plus repairing two alloys. Also the front bumper has some scratches, and is being replaced.

Now I have two issues on which I desperately need inputs from members here:

1. The original staggered setup of tyres is:
Front : 225/45 R 18 91Y(101.25mm)
Rear : 255/40 R 18 95 Y(102mm)

I have been told by BMW that I cannot upgrade profile unless I downgrade alloys to 17. But I do not want to spend on alloys as of now.

Another opinion I have got is that I can upgrade total diameter of tyre by 3%. I plan to go with the following configuration (increase in sidewalls for some durability)
Front : 225/50 R 18 91Y (112.5mm)
Rear : 245/45 R 18 95 Y (110.25mm)

So, is it advisable to do this upgrade on profiles without changing alloy size?

2. The stock Goodyear tyres have proven to be really bad. The insurance company has allowed for two tyres (to be procured from its own vendor and not BMW). I will put in extra money to shift to Bridgestone potenzas. I hope it will be better. But I am only getting Bridgestone Potenzas without warranty , the grey market variant, at 90k for the set. With bill, only Pirelli P7 is available.

Should I go for Bridgestone without warranty? Is there a chance of getting fakes, though the vendor is attached to the insurance company for a longtime? Or should I go for Pirellis with bill, though I have heard a lot of negatives about them for Indian conditions?

3. Is there anything else I need to keep in mind while getting the repaired car delivered?

I really need to make the above decisions soon. Inputs would be much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards all

Ankit Anand
Ankit1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 21:18   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankit1984 View Post
Another opinion I have got is that I can upgrade total diameter of tyre by 3%. I plan to go with the following configuration (increase in sidewalls for some durability)
Front : 225/50 R 18 91Y (112.5mm)
Rear : 245/45 R 18 95 Y (110.25mm)

So, is it advisable to do this upgrade on profiles without changing alloy size?

2. The stock Goodyear tyres have proven to be really bad. The insurance company has allowed for two tyres (to be procured from its own vendor and not BMW). I will put in extra money to shift to Bridgestone potenzas. I hope it will be better. But I am only getting Bridgestone Potenzas without warranty , the grey market variant, at 90k for the set. With bill, only Pirelli P7 is available.

3. Is there anything else I need to keep in mind while getting the repaired car delivered?
Hello Ankit,
From what I have read in various ownership reviews and my own personal experience owning a F30 LCI 320i, 17 inch wheels offer best balance between performance and safety from pothole damage etc. That being said since you do not wish to spend on new alloys I would recommend going for the tirewall upsize and also a switch to tubeless tires. Switching to tubeless tires would result in a comfier ride, better grip levels and overall improved performance with added protection to the alloys from any future damage. If you decide not to go in for the tubeless tires, i would recommend getting the Pirelli P7's. These tires offer decent grip and great ride quality and although some other members find them noisy, i am quite happy with them.

There's also an alternate route you could take of sourcing used 17inch BMW alloys. Many owners upsize and downsize according to their specific needs and you can find a set of wheels at a great price.
dealer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 21:43   #78
BHPian

Quote:
In any case, I put the car under insurance. They agreed for replacing LH FR side (tyre + alloy) and one more tyre, plus repairing two alloys.
1) Who is repairing these alloys? BMW does not do it and if you are claiming insurance please insist on getting new alloys. I'm sure they will not give this repair part to you in writing.

2) Going tubeless or downsizing to 17" will be the best solution in the long run. 18" RFT is a really delicate size as you've already discovered.
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 22:12   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1. The original staggered setup of tyres is:
Front : 225/45 R 18 91Y(101.25mm)
Rear : 255/40 R 18 95 Y(102mm)
45 and 40 profile are good enough if you take reasonable care.

Bridgestone are equally useless. Get Michelin PS4S or Primacy.

Try this guy, he specializes in such sizes. - Karan- 99710 99239
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 23:03   #80
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ankit. Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear of your woes.

I run 245/45/18's all around, and I'd second Turbanator on this. As long as you take reasonable care, it won't be a problem to run 45s.

I'd also recommend to switch to tubeless tyres in lieu of the run flats. They'll be comfier and will withstand a little more torture.

Again, I'd second Turbanator and ask you to consider Michelin's. I run Pirelli P7s all around, and have had a bulge on one tyre previously when I hit a pothole hard. This happened with Pirellis on my 16 inch shod Jetta as well, and no such issues with Michelin. Make the switch, you won't regret it.

Good luck sorting things out.
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 01:09   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
1) Who is repairing these alloys? BMW does not do it and if you are claiming insurance please insist on getting new alloys. I'm sure they will not give this repair part to you in writing.

2) Going tubeless or downsizing to 17" will be the best solution in the long run. 18" RFT is a really delicate size as you've already discovered.
Thanks for the reply. Repair is being done by the same insurance vendor who is providing the tires. It was given to me in writing. I will ensure its done properly. I know, would have loved to get the 17 and peace out, but don't want to go alloy hunting at this time, it's kind of urgent for me to get my drive back

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
Hello Ankit,
From what I have read in various ownership reviews and my own personal experience owning a F30 LCI 320i, 17 inch wheels offer best balance between performance and safety from pothole damage etc. That being said since you do not wish to spend on new alloys I would recommend going for the tirewall upsize and also a switch to tubeless tires. Switching to tubeless tires would result in a comfier ride, better grip levels and overall improved performance with added protection to the alloys from any future damage. If you decide not to go in for the tubeless tires, i would recommend getting the Pirelli P7's. These tires offer decent grip and great ride quality and although some other members find them noisy, i am quite happy with them.

There's also an alternate route you could take of sourcing used 17inch BMW alloys. Many owners upsize and downsize according to their specific needs and you can find a set of wheels at a great price.
Completely agree with all your suggestions. But I guess I can't really go alloy hunting as of now, since I need the car back kind of urgently.

On preliminary research, I had become quite sure of Bridgestone over Pirelli. But here everyone is going the other way. So I will start looking at Pirelli/Michelin. I hope the tyrewall upgrade on same 18 wheels do not cause issues, other than that speed miscalibration, which seems not a grave issue to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Hi Ankit. Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear of your woes.

I run 245/45/18's all around, and I'd second Turbanator on this. As long as you take reasonable care, it won't be a problem to run 45s.

I'd also recommend to switch to tubeless tyres in lieu of the run flats. They'll be comfier and will withstand a little more torture.

Again, I'd second Turbanator and ask you to consider Michelin's. I run Pirelli P7s all around, and have had a bulge on one tyre previously when I hit a pothole hard. This happened with Pirellis on my 16 inch shod Jetta as well, and no such issues with Michelin. Make the switch, you won't regret it.

Good luck sorting things out.
I have this staggered setup, so going for 225/50 & 245/45. Hope it doesn't cause any issue. I don't want to continue with the original configuration as they have already caused enough grief. Completely agree with all your suggestions. But I guess I can't really go alloy hunting as of now, since I need the car back kind of urgently.

On preliminary research, I had become quite sure of Bridgestone over Pirelli. But here there seems to be not much love for Bridgestones! So I will start looking at Michelin/Pirelli. I hope the tyrewall upgrade on same 18 wheels do not cause issues, other than that speed miscalibration, which seems OK to me.

Also do you have any experience with this grey market no warranty runflats. Since Bridgestone apparently doesn't bring my required configuration to India, I might have to go that way.

Thank you so much all dear members for such quick responses. Will be a great help for me. Have responded separately to each reply too, with some more pestering queries, I guess. Please do find the time to reply.

Thanks and Regards

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st June 2020 at 02:27. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Please avoid typing with excessive dots... like... this... Affects readability. Thanks!
Old 21st June 2020, 01:57   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will start looking at Pirelli/Michelin... I hope the tyrewall upgrade on same 18 wheels do not cause issues, other than that speed miscalibration, which seems not a grave issue to me..
Talk with your preferred, trusted tyre shop about tyre sizes and options, I'm sure they'd offer you some sage advice on the right tyre size

Quote:
Also do you have any experience with this grey market no warranty runflats .. Since Bridgestone apparently doesn't bring my required configuration to India,I might have to go that way.
Not a clue, frankly. But ask around for Michelin runflats. Some team BHPians have switched to it, and offer rave reviews. Here's one such review
Old 21st June 2020, 02:01   #83

Hey all

Finally it seems the choice is between Bridgestone/Michelin. Michelin seems best, but may not be available with the vendor. I was skeptical about Pirelli due to stories about bulges/bursts. But now more about Bridgestone, especially since I am getting it through grey market without warranty.

Need to conclude this, in a day or two max. Hoping for some more suggestions.

Thanks and Regards
Ankit

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st June 2020 at 02:24. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots... like... this... Affects readability. Thanks!
Old 21st June 2020, 07:45   #84
BHPian

Quote:

Finally it seems the choice is between Bridgestone/Michelin. Michelin seems best, but may not be available with the vendor. I was skeptical about Pirelli due to stories about bulges/bursts. But now more about Bridgestone, especially since I am getting it through grey market without warranty.
The order of preference should be -
1. Michelin
2. Pirelli
3.Bridgestone

Find whatever's best available and then go for it!
Old 23rd June 2020, 08:11   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Need to conclude this, in a day or two max. Hoping for some more suggestions.
Hi Ankit, what did you do ultimately?
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:02   #86

Car is still at workshop. It is getting delayed. Its warranty is anyways expiring in August(2years), I guess I will chuck RFTs and go with tubeless tyres.

I had done all my research on RFTs. So now I will look into good tubeless tyres for the vehicle, I guess

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd June 2020 at 15:03. Reason: Avoid typing with excessive dots.
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:44   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

I used the stock Bridgestone RFTs for almost 40k+ kms and didn't face any issue. The fact that my car came with 16 inch alloys may have contributed to the longevity. Since then I have been driving on Michelin tubeless tyres and they too seem to be doing fine apart from the fact that the fun to drive factor provided by the RFTs has gone after the switch.

Can't you source tyres from BMW itself and pay the difference to the insurance company? Even though it may take sometime, the best course of action would be to downsize the alloys. Many outside vendors should have ample stock of alloys for ready delivery in Delhi. you may want to try Sai Mag wheels.

Also I would urge you to consider opting for the extended warranty as any part failure can cost you a considerable amount.

Last edited by drmohitg : 23rd June 2020 at 13:46.
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:45   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Car is still at workshop.. It is getting delayed.. Its warranty is anyways expiring in August(2years),I guess I will chuck RFTs and go with tubeless tyres..

I had done all my research on RFTs.. So now I will look into good tubeless tyres for the vehicle, I guess
Ankit trying talking the guys at Chakra ( Shivaji Marg), same firm which owns Sai Mag Wheels. Should be able to help you out.
Karan_n8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 07:35   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Ankit, what did you do ultimately?

I picked up my 330i Sport which came with Bridgestone Turanza RFTs in 225/50/17 98 Y spec. I casually inquired with the dealer on switching them to Michelin Pilot Sports 4 ZP in the same size, and he promised to check with BMW if the same can be done officially. He did mention that costs could be prohibitive as the PS4 ZPs are not available in India as of now.

I have decided to stick with the RFTs for the first year as they are anyway covered by Secure. First impressions are the tyres are stiff but have run only 200 km so far and they need to run in first.

Last edited by itwasntme : 26th June 2020 at 07:45.
Old 26th June 2020, 09:42   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Bridgestone Turanza RFTs in 225/50/17 98 Y spec. he promised to check with BMW if the same can be done officially. He did mention that costs could be prohibitive

I have decided to stick with the RFTs for the first year as they are anyway covered by Secure. First impressions are the tyres are stiff but have run only 200 km so far and they need to run in first.
Bridgestone are really bad and you won’t enjoy the new car. Insurance is for one year but are you ok to change next year or will wait until these go bad or wear? What happens if these burst in 13th month? Will you buy another crap to keep your set!

Best is to exchange these ASAP, you will get a good value now but nothing after a few months. Find PS4S else PS4 regular tyres. Forgot the RFTs.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks