Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2007, 14:04   #46
BHPian

post fitment

Here are my observations having driven the car for 3 days after alloy fitment:
Ride quality: Harsher though it seems to be better today.. have done about 70 kms only after fitment

Handling: Improved though haven't driven enough to really test it.

Steering: Harder

Fuel eff: Now this is an interesting one. Before fitment I was under the impression that the lighter alloys would compensate for the wt. increase with bigger and wider tyres.. now my eyes might be wanting to play tricks here but I see the fuel needle needling me with seeming to drop lower than usual!! .. Question for the experts...what do you expect to happen to the mileage?
Old 17th January 2007, 15:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
Fuel eff: Now this is an interesting one. Before fitment I was under the impression that the lighter alloys would compensate for the wt. increase with bigger and wider tyres.. now my eyes might be wanting to play tricks here but I see the fuel needle needling me with seeming to drop lower than usual!! .. Question for the experts...what do you expect to happen to the mileage?
I would say do a measured test before coming to any conclusions. In my experience the difference in FE that alloys & tyres make is miniscule unless you go absolutely berserk with the sizes! I think they make a miniscule difference percentage wise & shouldn't affect your FE as such. But do a proper test just to be sure.
Old 17th January 2007, 17:01   #48
BHPian

Whoa, that much FE difference that you can notice.

Anyway, i went to a couple of shops today. Best price was offered by Car Shringar. BSA 5 spoke 18K and 195/60R15 Yoko ES100 for 3.7K. He said he would return 900 for each new OEM tire. I would go to Pitstop tomorrow.
Old 17th January 2007, 17:33   #49
Senior - BHPian

U can expect mileage of 10kmpl in bangalore city....

First Do a proper FE test ...The ride quality should be harsh i guess bcos the Zxi ride also didnt impress me much ,which i was driving two days back in Chennai....
Old 17th January 2007, 17:56   #50
BHPian

Federal

I do not know how about Federal Tyres ? But some dealers were referring the same. Pls do check it out.

Cheers,
Pradeep
Old 17th January 2007, 18:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I would say do a measured test .
Could you guys tell me a best practice for a test... what I have been doing normally is recording how much I have to fill for cut off and then comparing this value for lts. filled against the kms. driven
Old 17th January 2007, 21:07   #52
BHPian

I am aware of only this way of accurately measuring, though iraghava and other members may have other suggestions.
Old 18th January 2007, 00:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you guys tell me a best practice for a test... what I have been doing normally is recording how much I have to fill for cut off and then comparing this value for lts. filled against the kms. driven
I would suggest filling the tank till the brim when you can visibly see that no more fuel can be accomodated & then drive around till the tank is nearly empty & then fill up again till the brim & then calculate the FE by dividing the Kms covered by the fuel consumed.

Reason I don't suggest stopping at the Auto-cut is because that is not a standard denominator. If the fuel is being pumped into your tank at a a fast rate the auto-cut sometimes happens due to the pressure of the escaping vapourized gasses also. Also at times there are gas pockets formed in your fuel tank which trigger the auto-cut despite the tank not being full so I suggest visually verifying that the tank is full to the brim. So it's best to fill the tank to its maximum possible limit to ensure more accurate readings.
Old 24th January 2007, 23:23   #54
BHPian

tyre pressures

Guys.. 28 psi is what they filled during fitment..

What do you guys run on.. and what do the experts have to say?
1. What tyre pressures to use on 195/60/15
2. different pressures for front and rear tyres?
3. how much pressure for the highways?
Old 24th January 2007, 23:32   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Mayank - where are the pics?
Old 24th January 2007, 23:39   #56
BHPian

still waiting for the right chance to click a few Mag..sorry
Old 2nd February 2007, 11:50   #57
BHPian

Hey,

Let me know whats the FE you are getting now after the change in to alloys and also before fitting alloys,

Cheers,
Raps
Old 2nd February 2007, 15:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

Oye Mayank when is it going to be the right chance? 2009? Come on lazy bum click & post the pictures here for everyone's benefit!
Old 3rd February 2007, 10:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys

I have been waiting for 2 weeks now (after having prolonged my wheel-tyre decision quite a bit already mind you) for Potenza GIIIs in size 195/60/15 which as everyone here has pointed out is the perfect upsize for the swift..

But the GIIIs seem to be in real short supply so people have suggested the Yoko ES100s.. but now... only 205/60/15s are available.. he says 195/60/15 wud take another 10 days at least!!..

I am at a loss here and am very anxious.. so guys help me out.. would I be playing with safety with 205/60/15s??
I wanted to get the tyres fitted over the weekend but if you say I should stay away from these figures then I guess I'll just wait

Pls advice
Hi MC Mayank,

Im new to this site and this is my first post and i hope i can help you. I own a Swift Vxi myself and have upgraded my wheels just a week ago. I was i the same delima as you as i was really stuck on the Bridgeston Potenza G III of size 195/60/R15. These were not available and i was offered 205/55/R15. I had two issues with this size. Firstly, I living in Mumbai having roads which are not really all that good, I believe the 55 aspect ration will make the ride more bumpier than the one with the 60 aspect ratio. Secondly, the G III were costing me a whooping Rs 4500/- per tyre. But then i came across the new Goodyear Eagle F1. I got the recomended size, they look amazing with the V tread pattern, costs Rs 3200/- per tyre and most importantly handle amazingly well and are relatively quieter than normal. I suggest the Eagle F1.
Old 3rd February 2007, 18:52   #60
Senior - BHPian

I was just wondering if people with 205/50 R16 are experiencing the touching or scraping of tyres often ?? Wouldnt 205/40 R16 be the right upsize ?

(leave aside harsh ride, bad roas etcs)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks