Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 13:02   #76
BHPian

Re: Onboard Tyre pressure sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
Here is an image of the TPMS view. I have hooked it on to a cell phone holder. You can also paste the same on the dash.Cheers ...
A salesman for LED lights had visited my office & gave me the catalogs of all their products. The TPMS in the catalog looks exactly like the one in your photo!
Attached Thumbnails
Onboard Tyre pressure sensors-photo.jpg  

Onboard Tyre pressure sensors-tpms1.jpg  

Old 16th January 2012, 16:56   #77
Senior - BHPian

I got the TPMS fitted in my Ikon's tyres on Saturday evening. Here are some pictures:

The sensors fitted to the inside of the rim (right around the valve inlet):

RF-1: sensor #1 for the right-front tyre

RR-2: sensor #2 for the right rear tyre

LF-4: sensor #4 for the left front tyre

Sensors #3 and #4, for the left rear and front tyres:

The special bolts used for fitting the sensors: the bolt is hollowed out from the inside. This bolt fits onto the sensor and goes through the inlet valve. When the tyre is inflated, air travels through the hollowed out centre of the bolt into the tyre. This bolt is special and should be preserved.

Total damage Rs. 6000/-

The display unit is similar to the one shown above, I have yet to find a suitable mounting place for the same.

The display unit also allows you to adjust the following settings:
  1. Minimum pressure of air in each tyre
  2. Maximum pressure of air in each tyre
  3. Minimum temperature of air in each tyre
  4. Maximum temperature of air in each tyre
Upon initialization the unit scans all four sensors one by one and displays the readings from each one in a cyclical fashion. The right front tyre is #1, right rear tyre #2, left rear tyre #3 and left front tyre #4.

The display can be set to either show only the pressure or only the temperature or both pressure and temperature from each tyre.

The system is supposed to sound an alarm if the pressure and/or temperature values vary beyond the set minimum / maximum limits.

I tried the system out on the Igatpuri drive. The tyres had earlier been inflated to 32psi. After the drive when I returned home in the afternoon, the tyres showed pressures of around 35 to 36 psi. So a hard drive and leaving the car out in the sun can increase the pressure by about three to four psi.
Attached Thumbnails
Onboard Tyre pressure sensors-14012012781.jpg  

Onboard Tyre pressure sensors-14012012782.jpg  

Onboard Tyre pressure sensors-14012012783.jpg  

Onboard Tyre pressure sensors-14012012785.jpg  

Onboard Tyre pressure sensors-14012012786.jpg  

honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 00:14   #78
BHPian

Has anyone tried this...seems to be loaded with features at an affordable price...

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 28th September 2012, 13:24   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I got the TPMS fitted in my Ikon's tyres on Saturday evening. Here are some pictures:

The sensors fitted to the inside of the rim (right around the valve inle....................................

.....................................increase the pressure by about three to four psi.
Thanks Honeybee for the update. Did you buy the unit from the same company which sells in Bangalore. Triton Valves, I think or its a different one?
How is the unit performing now? Any inputs on the same?
Been almost 9 months since you've got these on your vehicle. Any observations/ inputs/ suggestions to share?
Has the unit being working flawlessly or you'd encountered any issues/ problems.

Thanks again for sharing. I'm planning for installation on my SUV too. Shame they sell with only 4 valves. A 5th for the spare would have been good too.
Old 2nd October 2012, 02:47   #80
Senior - BHPian

It is a Bengaluru based company, but I don't recall the name. The sensors worked good for the first six months, later the car was driven by my brother. However now it's almost a year and one of the sensors has gone kaput. The dealer has asked us to wait for replacement and also added that there have been a few other such cases. So I think the product is good for a couple of years at most and not long term.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:19   #81
BHPian

[quote="honeybee"]It is a Bengaluru based company, but I don't recall the namelQUOTE]

Was it Tyreprobe ?
Old 7th October 2012, 21:20   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee
It is a Bengaluru based company, but I don't recall the name. The sensors worked good for the first six months, later the car was driven by my brother. However now it's almost a year and one of the sensors has gone kaput. The dealer has asked us to wait for replacement and also added that there have been a few other such cases. So I think the product is good for a couple of years at most and not long term.
Thanks for the update honeybee. I too might be getting the unit, but if the thing goes kaput after a year or two, then there's no point spending 6-7K on the thing. Is it?
Old 9th October 2012, 08:49   #83
Senior - BHPian

@wasavatyres, I don't remember what the name was. Will try and find out and if I can get will post here.

@harjeev, the dealer has promised a free replacement of the defective sensor, so am now waiting for the dealer's call. Right now it's only one of the four sensors which has gone bad, so if the replacement is made free and the system as a whole works good for another two years, I think it's a good enough system. So I am not writing it off yet.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:31   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
A salesman for LED lights had visited my office & gave me the catalogs of all their products. The TPMS in the catalog looks exactly like the one in your photo!
when humidity is rated at 95% does that mean they aren't supposed to get wet?
rather weird considering that tires get washed and go through puddles.
Old 9th October 2012, 12:18   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshaguduru View Post
when humidity is rated at 95% does that mean they aren't supposed to get wet?
rather weird considering that tires get washed and go through puddles.
The sensors are fitted inside the tyre. How do you think they will get wet?
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 19:27   #86
Senior - BHPian

I was just going through the specs and installation details of this TPMS (Chinese made?)
While great for my budget, can't help but think what would happen if one of the valve dustcover like sensors were stolen/vandalised or even come loose and fall-off due to our pot-holed roads.
Hence wondering if I am being a bit too cautious? What do you think?
Old 16th September 2013, 20:43   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I was just going through the specs and installation details of this TPMS (Chinese made?)
While great for my budget, can't help but think what would happen if one of the valve dustcover like sensors were stolen/vandalised or even come loose and fall-off due to our pot-holed roads.
Hence wondering if I am being a bit too cautious? What do you think?
Generally external sensors have a locking nut/screw to prevent these. In case you lose a sensor you have to buy a sensor and each sensor cost around 3-4K .
Old 16th September 2013, 21:45   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Generally external sensors have a locking nut/screw to prevent these. In case you lose a sensor you have to buy a sensor and each sensor cost around 3-4K .
If you lose 1 or even 2 , can you buy just the one or two, or do you have to buy a full set?
Old 16th September 2013, 21:47   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
If you lose 1 or even 2 , can you buy just the one or two, or do you have to buy a full set?
Depends on the seller but generally you can. If you buy anything more than 2 sensors it is better to buy the whole kit .
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 20:33   #90
Senior - BHPian

On Friday, Invested in the old model tyre probe (yes the Ulsoor, Bangalore based company - Triton Valves).
Not sure if I was overcharged in the end - it cost me Rs 7000/- Though I did do a round of checks with their Mumbai dealer about the price, as well as checked with the company itself.

Now a question. The rated pressure for my tyres is 35 psi. After running them in normal stop and go traffic, I see the pressure is higher at 37 even 38 psi. These are new stock tyres fitted the same day as the tyre - probe.
My question - should I underinflate the tyres when they are cold, so that the running pressure is at 35 , when they are warm. Conversely pressurise to 35 psi when warm?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks