Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2016, 18:35   #601
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajslave View Post
So ordered a set of 4 Yoko E400s in 205/65/R15 size from PayTm, received these Dec 2015 manufactured tyres.

Going to get them fitted in a day or two and will report with an update.

Attachment 1465329

Attachment 1465330
Hi AJ, I've got the same setup in my Civic for over a year now and am quite happy, though I'm really struggling with figuring out the right tyre pressure. Any suggestions? Am currently at 31 PSI.
Old 4th March 2016, 19:02   #602
Senior - BHPian

My Civic is running on 195/65 R15 Michelin PLC tires from day 2. Had got them in exchange for the Bridgestones that came with the car on day 2. The tires are Dec 2009 manufactured and my car is a Mar 2010 model. Have covered 20k till now on these and they've been very comfortable. My worry is now with the aging of the tires and how much I can push them further before I go for a new set of shoes. The wear and tear has been minimal considering the mileage clocked.
Old 3rd May 2016, 14:14   #603
BHPian

Planning to change my civic shoes to Yoko Earth 205/65/15.

Getting a price of 5800 in Bangalore. Is this ok..
Old 18th July 2016, 20:16   #604
BHPian

The JK UX Royale thread

Bhpian's

I am creating this thread because there is limited information on JK’s UX Royale tyres.

I had recently bought a pre-owned Civic. It was fitted with brand new JK UX Royale tyres by the dealer. I am in a dilemma on whether to replace them or not. Any inputs?
Old 19th July 2016, 00:13   #605
Senior - BHPian

Re: The JK UX Royale thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Bhpian's

I am creating this thread because there is limited information on JK’s UX Royale tyres.

I had recently bought a pre-owned Civic. It was fitted with brand new JK UX Royale tyres by the dealer. I am in a dilemma on whether to replace them or not. Any inputs?
I have read a number of posts condemning JK tyres. But I have a good experience of stock JK Vectra tyres that came with my SX4 Zxi.

If the tyres are brand new, I recommend you to use them happily. Maintain proper alignment and rotation. Check air pressure regularly: once in a fortnight and before every outstation trip. You shall be happy IMO.

Some users also had complained about tyre noise. Tyre noise did not trouble me. Tyre noise can be noticeable only once you cross 60-70 kmph. That happens generally on highways. The tyre noise did not trouble me because there were other noises too: the noise of car cutting the air, the noise of ac blower, the music, the engine noise (though small) etc. Amongst all these noises, the tyre noise was not so prominent.

Tyres feel more noisy on concrete roads than with tar. The tyres having higher treadwear rating make more noise compared to the ones with lower rating. But higher treadwear rating gives you good wear resistance (reduced tyre wear).

My stock JK Vectras have a treadwear rating of 480. They have completed 57000 km so far and there is still around 37% tread depth left before the wear indicator mark! I normally drive at 80 to 100 kmph on highways.

So do not worry, use your new tyres happily. Maintain air pressure, alignment and rotation. You will enjoy the tyres.

And do not drive with punctured tyre. It is during this phase that the tyre life gets affected. Keep a foot pump or a 12V tyre inflator in the boot. As soon as you notice a flat or near flat tyre or low air pressure, pump the tyre before you reach the puncture-wala.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 13:43   #606
Senior - BHPian

So i decided to downgrade my Civic's tires from 205 65 R 15 to standard size 196 65 R15. I went with Bridgestone Turanza T001, the tire no one is buying as there are no reviews available on same. It cost me 5500 a piece so i would say it's a decent and fair price considering I paid 6.2k a piece for the outgoing BS Turanza ER60 back in 2011 that too.

The reasons for downgrading back to standard size :
1. The steering had become heavier and i wanted it to be light.
2. The car would feel slower off the mark with the 205's.
3. I somehow believe the heavier steering was the cause of the Power Steering leakage which i had faced (twice in 5 years) since the heavier feel means the PS pump has to work harder. A quick reference to a couple of Civic veterans (Laluks & Manim) who have run stock size all throughout their Civic ownership confirmed they had never faced a PS leak.
4. The 205's are pricier compared to the 195, just compare 6.2k in 2011 vs 5.5k in 2016.

Have driven the car only for around 20-25 kms on highway and below are my initial observations.
1. The steering has become lighter a bit.
2. The initial pickup has increased and the car has become more responsive by a small margin.
3. The overall ride has become a bit more harsh since i believe the old taller profile tires would provide some cushioning. I can feel the road jars a bit more and i believe till now this is the only real con. A softer tire eg the Xm2 may be able to overcome this.
4. I can only hear the engine noise and the racket the old tires used to make is no longer there which means the T001 is fairly silent.

The Old 205's
Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-old_rear.jpg

The new 195's. Mind you the rear of my Civic is modded for a increase in ride height at the rear which also houses 65Kg or so CNG tank.
Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-rear.jpg

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 1st January 2017 at 14:11.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 13:54   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
A quick reference to a couple of Civic veterans (Laluks & Manim) who have run stock size all throughout their Civic ownership confirmed they had never faced a PS leak.

The new 195's. Mind you the rear of my Civic is modded for a increase in ride height at the rear which also houses 65Kg or so CNG tank.
My Civic has never run the stock size except for the first 8k kms I think. I also remember a brief period in between for about 25k kms when I ran the stock size.

I've never had a PS leak and I've covered 1,65,000 kms in almost 7 years.

My dad's Civic has covered 1.00 lakh kms. Only the first 40k kms (when it was with the original owner) was on stock tyres. Rest 60k kms is on upsized tyres.

Never had an issue with the infamous leak of the PS.

I dont think the tyre size (especially just 10mm) has anything to do with the power steering leak.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 06:14   #608
BHPian

Let me start by saying that I've been really happy w/ the stock Goodyear 300s 195/65 R15, they've given excellent service at 7.5 yrs / 42k kms and didn't really need changing but since they're past the 6 yr mark and were getting a little long in the tooth, plus am going on a longish trip with family and didn't want to risk it.

So got a set of 4 new shoes - Bridgestone Turanza ER300 195/65 R15 91H - mostly because they seem to be specifically designed for Indian roads, specially wet weather, which is pretty common in Mumbai.

Price wise they were a little expensive (6k/ea) as compared to Goodyears (5.4k/ea) but lower than Michelen XM2s (6.6k/ea). The Michelin dealer was trying to push some new tyre for 6k/ea but the Turanzas' sidewall looked way better.

Got them from Golden Tyres, Dahisar who are authorised Bridgestone dealers, service was excellent, they did the the alignment, balancing and tyre swap, plus changed a couple of valves and only charged 500 extra, so pretty cool.

The car stance has changed dramatically, clearance is a lot higher too, inspite of these being technically the same as the earlier four, which is nice but surprising.

Last edited by mwzd : 4th April 2017 at 06:17.
Old 4th April 2017, 06:28   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwzd View Post
The car stance has changed dramatically, clearance is a lot higher too, inspite of these being technically the same as the earlier four, which is nice but surprising.
Ground Clearance cannot change if you replaced with the same spec tyre (Whichever brand it may be). Yes, it might be little more compared to the replaced tyres as they are 6 years old and worn out. As the treads completely wear out, the GC of the car reduces by around 5-7mm.
Old 4th April 2017, 20:39   #610
BHPian

So I am upsizing the stock tyres 45k kms old
To 205/65/15
Contemplating between michelin XM2 and Yokohoma Earth1
Yokohoma is cheaper by approximately 1k
Requirement: Normal city usage with the occasional long drive on the highway,low tire noise
Guys,please advise between the two or any other brand?
Old 6th April 2017, 18:23   #611
BHPian

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Before

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491483056.991029.jpg
Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491483072.250593.jpg

After
Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491483098.051780.jpg
Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491483124.181369.jpg
Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491483140.308960.jpg

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491483171.103462.jpg

Have an airport drive coming up
Will update shortly after

But as suggested by fellow forum members
Have upsized from stock 185 to 205
Will review the same shortly
Old 8th May 2017, 22:57   #612
BHPian

Was planning to change the Civic tyres as well to 205 as mentioned by everyone. Anyone heard of the Goodyear Efficientgrip? Read that it's pretty comfortable and silent. Was planning to go for the Michelin but not sure if the Goodyear is better as its more VFM?
Old 3rd August 2017, 08:42   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Was planning to change the Civic tyres as well to 205 as mentioned by everyone. Anyone heard of the Goodyear Efficientgrip? Read that it's pretty comfortable and silent. Was planning to go for the Michelin but not sure if the Goodyear is better as its more VFM?
Michelin has slightly weaker sidewalls but offer better ride quality. I had installed Goodyear Assurance tyres and they gave me a good balance between ride quality and durability, even better than the Bridgestone Turanzas that I've currently got. These lasted 33k kms and 2 years! I would probably be in the market to change all the tyres soon and Goodyear will be on top of that list.

The Efficientgrip has decent reviews, good all round tyres apparently. The only downside being that ride quality reduces as the tyres wear, but I guess that's the case with most tyres.
Old 11th August 2017, 13:41   #614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Michelin has slightly weaker sidewalls but offer better ride quality.
I disagree. I am a vociferous debater when it comes to this point.

Michelins today are as strong or as weak as any other tyre. My friend who accompanied me to Leh in his ANHC with 195/60-15 Michelin P3ST completed the entire 9k kms trip without a SINGLE puncture, forget something worse. And we didnt stick only to the main circuit of Leh and back. We went all the way to the LOC at Turtuk, Pangong Lake, etc.

Michelins of old used to be soft, but let's not carry on stereotyping that.

The Michelin Pilot Sports of course is super soft but again, it's meant for a totally different kind of driver.

The XM2 and the P3ST are as rugged as any Yoko/Bridgestone.

The Goodyears are much stronger though. The Assurance TripleMax is a great tyre for the price.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 14:29   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I disagree. I am a vociferous debater when it comes to this point.

The Goodyears are much stronger though. The Assurance TripleMax is a great tyre for the price.
Thanks for the input. Which Michelin tyre do you recommend?

I was comparing with the GY Assurance which is a fab tyre in my opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks