Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2017, 14:33   #616
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Michelin has only two tyres for mainstream passenger cars. Michelin XM2 and the Primacy 3 ST. Both are available in different sizes and both are good.
Old 11th September 2017, 14:52   #617
BHPian

hi, i recently bought a 2007 AT Civic and the previous owner, I guess has changed the tyres in 2012 as I can see from the date on all the 4 tyres. They are MRL ZV2K tyres. I can see surface cracks on both the front tyres and also can hear road noise. Are the surface cracks, 5 years old and road noise normal ? because the tyre is still left with descent amount of tread and they are otherwise in good shape.

If I want to change, i would like to upsize it to 205 65 r15 and a big dealer in Chennai is quoting an attractive price of Rs. 4500 per tire for Goodyear Assurance Duraplus 205 65 r15 and he assures a recently manufactured one. Is it required to change it now or better to pull on for some more time ?

Any other options for Civic at this price range ? since my running is low, i am not willing to plonk too much money, but i would like to have descent reliability in both wet and dry conditions, reduced road noise and durable. Kindly advise. thanks.

Swami
Old 24th November 2018, 23:02   #618
BHPian

Guys, I am on the verge of finalizing a pre-owned Civic and will be buying a new set of tires soon after I get my hands on the car and have a dilemma of whether sticking with 15" or go for 16" ones, as I am quite worried about the longer wheelbase + soft suspension combo which might affect my long rides with full load and luggage.

I did some number crunching, thanks to the calculation given by kpzen in one of the old threads I have quoted and now I am confused. Have put the table I created capturing variances from the Overall Diameter (OD) from the stock set up and also putting across the change in the ground clearance from the stock set up. Please correct me if I have done it wrong.

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-civic.jpg.png

Here are my points -

1. Simple solution is to just upgrade the tire to 205/65/R15 which most people have done on this thread too, which seems to increase GC by 6.5 mm, but it has a variance of 2.05% from stock OD. Is this ok?

2. For upgrading rim size to 16", I have read in this thread that 205/55/R16 is the perfect upgrade size since it has a minimal variance in OD - 0.41%, but it seems to reduce the GC by 1.3 mm from the stock set up. Here my question is why even though I am increasing the rim size by 1" which is 100 mm, the GC is reduced by 1.3 mm. I am totally in loss of understanding the logic here (pardon my ignorance).

My actual need is to increase the GC by a healthy margin without compromising much with the Overall Diameter, which I understand can cause speedo errors. What would you guys suggest?

In the comparison table I have just given various other sizes, just for theoretical purposes.

KK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Comparison of running radius of tyres

1. 175/70-13

radius of rim = 6.5x 25.4 = 165.1mm
sidewall of tyre = 0.70x 175 = 122.5mm

Running radius = radius of rim + sidewall hieght = 165.1 + 122.5 = 287.6

2. 175/65-14

radius of rim = 7x 25.4 = 177.8mm
sidewall of tyre = 0.65x175 =113.75mm

Running radius = radius of rim + sidewall hieght = 177.8 + 113.75 = 291.55

Difference in running radius of both tyres is the difference in ground clearance

175/65-14 will provide u with extra 4mm ground clearance
Old 25th November 2018, 00:33   #619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
My actual need is to increase the GC by a healthy margin without compromising much with the Overall Diameter, which I understand can cause speedo errors.What would you guys suggest?
Hi!

The main problem with the Civic is the soft suspension & long wheel base rather than just the ground clearance as a figure itself. Plus my personal opinion is that it is not an 'under-tired' car. What I suggest is that keep the tire sizes stock and rather go for ROGERAB or similar products which can address the soft suspension issue and it will sort out some handling issues as well.

Refer to this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...uspension.html (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)

One major disadvantage of going for 205s (or higher), Civic has a pretty average low end. Going with wider foot print shall aggravate the issue, more so in the city. Also, the hydraulic steering pump of Civic is a kind of known achilles heel. I wouldn't want to stress that part further with wider track.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 14:21   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hi!

The main problem with the Civic is the soft suspension & long wheel base rather than just the ground clearance as a figure itself. Plus my personal opinion is that it is not an 'under-tired' car. What I suggest is that keep the tire sizes stock and rather go for ROGERAB or similar products which can address the soft suspension issue and it will sort out some handling issues as well.

Refer to this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...uspension.html (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)

One major disadvantage of going for 205s (or higher), Civic has a pretty average low end. Going with wider foot print shall aggravate the issue, more so in the city. Also, the hydraulic steering pump of Civic is a kind of known achilles heel. I wouldn't want to stress that part further with wider track.

Regards,
Saket

Wow, never knew of this. Thanks for sharing this thread, have read most of the pages over there and I understand there are two brands now which are generally bought, Indisuspension and Rogerab. Will look at both of them and decide which one to go and both costs similar sum. A sigh of relief now.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 19:30   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I am on the verge of finalizing a pre-owned Civic and will be buying a new set of tires soon after I get my hands on the car and have a dilemma of whether sticking with 15" or go for 16" ones, as I am quite worried about the longer wheelbase + soft suspension combo which might affect my long rides with full load and luggage.

I did some number crunching, thanks to the calculation given by kpzen in one of the old threads I have quoted and now I am confused. Have put the table I created capturing variances from the Overall Diameter (OD) from the stock set up and also putting across the change in the ground clearance from the stock set up. Please correct me if I have done it wrong.

Attachment 1821760

Here are my points -

1. Simple solution is to just upgrade the tire to 205/65/R15 which most people have done on this thread too, which seems to increase GC by 6.5 mm, but it has a variance of 2.05% from stock OD. Is this ok?

2. For upgrading rim size to 16", I have read in this thread that 205/55/R16 is the perfect upgrade size since it has a minimal variance in OD - 0.41%, but it seems to reduce the GC by 1.3 mm from the stock set up. Here my question is why even though I am increasing the rim size by 1" which is 100 mm, the GC is reduced by 1.3 mm. I am totally in loss of understanding the logic here (pardon my ignorance).

My actual need is to increase the GC by a healthy margin without compromising much with the Overall Diameter, which I understand can cause speedo errors. What would you guys suggest?

In the comparison table I have just given various other sizes, just for theoretical purposes.

KK
You are increasing the wheel size by 1 inch which is 25.4 millimeter and not 100 mm. Problem is your aspect ratio which is the tire’s sidewall height as a percentage of the tire’s section width. The aspect ratio is 55% of 205 MM in case of 205/55R16 and 65% of 195 MM in case of 195/65R15.

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-aspect-ratio.jpg

Both 195/65R15 and 205/55R16 were stock sizes for Honda Civic. Only the entry-level DX model used to come with 195/65R15 tire size. Back in the day, I used to have a 2008 Civic (LX) that came with 205/55R16 size from the factory. The difference between the two sizes is 0.1 inches that is 2.54 millimeter which is negligible.

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tire-size.jpg

Your choice of tire size will not have much impact on the suspension/ride if you stick to the recommended load rating as that of the stock tire. The ground clearance will only be impacted if you opt for a larger size (larger than 205/55R16) but that may end up impacting your steering and suspension geometry.

There is hardly any difference in weight (1Lbs) between the 195/65R15 & 205/55R16 so don’t worry about it.

Both 205/60R16 and 205/65R16 will have a much larger OD with larger than 2.5% recommended variance.

My advice would be to stick to 205/55R16 that was the pretty much the stock size and came standard on 90% of Civics sold in North America. The largest recommended size will be 205/60R16 if you're really keen on increasing the ground clearance.

205/55R16 or the 205/60R16will have a slightly wider footprint and will be my recommendation.

Hope this helps. All the best!

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 25th November 2018 at 19:32.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 11:48   #622
BHPian

Thanks for your detailed post Vikram Arya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
You are increasing the wheel size by 1 inch which is 25.4 millimeter and not 100 mm.
You are right, my bad Had considered 25.4 only for all my calculation but while writing I did mistake.

Quote:
Problem is your aspect ratio which is the tire’s sidewall height as a percentage of the tire’s section width. The aspect ratio is 55% of 205 MM in case of 205/55R16 and 65% of 195 MM in case of 195/65R15.
Hmm, that's why even an increase of 1" in rim size didn't help in increasing the GC.

So just to understand, does rim upgrade from 15" to 16" helps in any other way, leaving the GC aside.

Quote:
Both 195/65R15 and 205/55R16 were stock sizes for Honda Civic. Only the entry-level DX model used to come with 195/65R15 tire size. Back in the day, I used to have a 2008 Civic (LX) that came with 205/55R16 size from the factory. The difference between the two sizes is 0.1 inches that is 2.54 millimeter which is negligible.

My advice would be to stick to 205/55R16 that was the pretty much the stock size and came standard on 90% of Civics sold in North America. The largest recommended size will be 205/60R16 if you're really keen on increasing the ground clearance.

205/55R16 or the 205/60R16will have a slightly wider footprint and will be my recommendation.

Hope this helps. All the best!
I am now leaning towards not upgrading the tyre size or the rims and stick to the stock tyre size with installing the suspension buffers as mentioned by Saket77. Will ride for a couple of thousand with this set up and then decide based on what I feel.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 26th November 2018 at 11:51.
Old 26th November 2018, 12:23   #623
BHPian

Quote:

Hmm, that's why even an increase of 1" in rim size didn't help in increasing the GC.

So just to understand, does rim upgrade from 15" to 16" helps in any other way, leaving the GC aside.
I am now leaning towards not upgrading the tyre size or the rims and stick to the stock tyre size with installing the suspension buffers as mentioned by Saket77. Will ride for a couple of thousand with this set up and then decide based on what I feel.

KK
I’ve been using 205/55 R16 for more than a lakh kms now. I feel this to be right size for Civic. However you can stick to the 195 section as you feel. The only perceivable difference is in aesthetics. I haven’t seen any change in mileage or steering between the two sizes.

Also on the bump stop on your springs, I had them installed and removed it immediately after 2-3k kms, suggest you to ride your car stock for few thousand kms and decide. The ride without the bumpstop is great most of the times except when fully loaded.
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 14:32   #624
BHPian

I have a 2008 Civic and its time to replace my Michelin tyres. The Michelins were much better than the stock Bridgestones in terms of ride quality and have lasted roughly the same time and distance.

I have had some trouble with power steering, as the pump was near empty, however, havent seen it again after refilling. Not sure upsizing it to 205 will have an impact?

What tyres would give equivalent ride quality to the Michelins at cheaper prices esp. if i move to 205 from 195.
Old 4th December 2018, 15:00   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseud View Post
What tyres would give equivalent ride quality to the Michelins at cheaper prices esp. if i move to 205 from 195.
I've a 2008 Civic 1.8V too, and for the past 4 years or so, I've been using XM2 Energy 205/65 without a single problem.
Old 4th December 2018, 15:02   #626
BHPian

Time to change tires for my 2008 Civic - I've been using XM2 Energy 205/65.

When I go to Tyre Plus (Whitefield) next week, should I choose XM2 Energy 205/65 once again, or, are there better alternatives now?

Thanks in advance
Old 4th December 2018, 15:31   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Time to change tires for my 2008 Civic - I've been using XM2 Energy 205/65.

When I go to Tyre Plus (Whitefield) next week, should I choose XM2 Energy 205/65 once again, or, are there better alternatives now?

Thanks in advance
I thought the options are 195/65/15 or 205/55/16. Didnt know 205/65 is recommended without modifications?

If price isnt a concern, primacy is a much better tyre.
Pseud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 18:08   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought the options are 195/65/15 or 205/55/16. Didnt know 205/65 is recommended without modifications?

205 65 R15 is the proper upsize. I have used it for around 5 years (Turanza).

The immediate effect is as below

1. Better and comfortable ride.
2. Heavier steering.
3. Bit slower off the red lights/stops due to higher rolling resistance.
4. A tad lower fuel efficiency again due to above mentioned 3rd point.
5. Increase in a bit of ground clearance.
6. The car will look hotter with beefier tires.

I later went on to standard size as I did not wanted to tax the power steering and also for improved acceleration and better mileage.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 4th December 2018 at 18:18.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 19:20   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
1. Better and comfortable ride.
2. Heavier steering.
3. Bit slower off the red lights/stops due to higher rolling resistance.
4. A tad lower fuel efficiency again due to above mentioned 3rd point.
5. Increase in a bit of ground clearance.
6. The car will look hotter with beefier tires.
1. Yes - the car holds the road like a tank.
2. Couldn't notice.
3. Again, I didn't see any lag - it just zooms away.
4. Maybe - did not measure.
5. Definitely yes - the car could easily manage Bangalore's worst speed breakers.

Quote:
This is good. Can you (or, someone) explain the advantages of Primacy over Energy XM2.

Since I plan to change the tires very soon, this information will be very useful.

Thanks.

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th January 2019 at 15:20. Reason: Back to back posts.
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 19:44   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
This is good. Can you (or, someone) explain the advantages of Primacy over Energy XM2.

Since I plan to change the tires very soon, this information will be very useful.

Thanks.
Primacy is quieter and more comfortable ride. Energy has higher road noise but I think better fuel efficiency.

Btw I just checked with tyre empire and they are quoting 7k for Primacy 4.is that ok?
Pseud is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks