Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:24   #451
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
After lots of deliberation, switched to 225/60r15 C-Drives on the stock alloys. Car was earlier running on 205/60r15 db-V550.
Attachment 957757
That a king size upsize..I mean I use the same size on my Innova, which also, btw, has 6J rims. They have lasted nearly 45 k till now and have remained silent throughout the life of the car. Wet grip is terrific..no other word to describe it. Dry grip is good too though in my case the grip improved after the first 1000 kms or so.

I am now nearing replacement time. In the last year, I also switched the Baleno from Michelins to C.Drives and will in all likelihood buy the C.Drives again for the Innova. Only one suggestion - the sidewalls are softer than mos of the tires you will get in the Indian market, so pls watch out kerb-over jumps and sharp edges while cutting back sideways!

Last edited by Buffetfan : 2nd August 2012 at 17:25.
Old 3rd August 2012, 00:58   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
They have lasted nearly 45 k till now and have remained silent throughout the life of the car. Wet grip is terrific..no other word to describe it. Dry grip is good too though in my case the grip improved after the first 1000 kms or so.
That's reassuring ! And yes, although new now, they are very silent. The one advantage with this size is that the sidewall is pretty high. So it'll be a tad safer I guess.

Btw, your reviews in the C-Drive thread helped a lot ! Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
In the last year, I also switched the Baleno from Michelins to C.Drives
I need to change the Baleno tyres soon. The Eagle F1 GSD3s have served peacefully for 43K kms !! Yes !! And they have enough tread to go till 50. But as expected, have become extremely noisy.

I am torn between the 195/60/14 ZLO and the 185/65/14 C-Drives. Price is similar for both. I'm so used to the planted feel of 195s than I am apprehensive that the 185/65 will end up feeling a bit 'floaty' !

Last edited by shuvc : 3rd August 2012 at 01:00.
shuvc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 18:03   #453
Senior - BHPian

I have up-sized to 17" alloys with 225/45 R17 Michelin PS3 today. The tyre profile is so low that, I fear driving it on non-tarmac roads. The noise level is a bit on a higher side than the michelin PLC I had before. I guess, with the run in of 300 kms on the new tyres, the road noise will come down. Overall, I am satisfied with the upgrade. Will post the pictures soon.
Old 6th August 2012, 10:22   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I have up-sized to 17" alloys with 225/45 R17 Michelin PS3 today. The tyre profile is so low that, I fear driving it on non-tarmac roads. The noise level is a bit on a higher side than the michelin PLC I had before. I guess, with the run in of 300 kms on the new tyres, the road noise will come down. Overall, I am satisfied with the upgrade. Will post the pictures soon.
I too have been running with the same size last 3 years but on good year eagle f1 assymetric, they are fabulous and noise level aint that much.Coming to non tarmac roads, I have gone to some unbeleivable places and have had no issues, done couple of golden quadrilateral runs also, performance on this size on civic is truly awesome
Old 6th August 2012, 14:49   #455
Senior - BHPian

17" Alloys hyper silver (Audi A6 replica) with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 225/45 R17 91W. Alloys @25K for 4, Tyres @50K for 4. The dealer bought back the OEM 15" alloys and tyres at 15K (OEM alloys and tyres are almost 3 yrs old, with 27Kms done) . Effective price for upsize 60K. I am really happy with the new alloys, kinda complete the looks of the car.

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-_dsc0118.jpg

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-_dsc0136.jpg

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-_dsc0124.jpg

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-_dsc0205.jpg

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-_dsc0275.jpg

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-_dsc0308.jpg

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-_dsc0319.jpg

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-_dsc0165.jpg

Last edited by iTNerd : 6th August 2012 at 14:50.
iTNerd is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 15:01   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
17" Alloys hyper silver (Audi A6 replica) with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 225/45 R17 91W. Alloys @25K for 4, Tyres @50K for 4. The dealer bought back the OEM 15" alloys and tyres at 15K (OEM alloys and tyres are almost 3 yrs old, with 27Kms done) . Effective price for upsize 60K. I am really happy with the new alloys, kinda complete the looks of the car.
Looks great!

Would have been good if there were one very-close-up picture of the wheel.

Do you face any problem during full turn?

Which dealer is this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th August 2012, 15:04   #457
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful choice of alloys. Looks super !!

You still have the OE rim+tyre for the spare?
Old 6th August 2012, 15:12   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Looks great!

Would have been good if there were one very-close-up picture of the wheel.

Do you face any problem during full turn?

Which dealer is this?

Thanks in advance.
Would post closeup pictures in a while. No problem or scrapping on wheel wells yet on cornering or turn. There is enough clearance I guess. This is universal tyre house, lajpat nagar.

Quote:
Wonderful choice of alloys. Looks super !!

You still have the OE rim+tyre for the spare?
Thanks! Yes, I still go the 15" steel rim and tyre (Michelin PLC) as spare/stepney.
Old 9th August 2012, 12:38   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Continental CPC2 in 205/65-15 on a Civic.

Good solid tyre. Initially the tyres grip very well but fade after 20,000 kms. Even after that, it's still a very grippy tyre. It does squeal a lot though.

Ride comfort can be better. However, the advantage of the stiff sidewall is that these tyres are very very rugged. These tyres on a Civic have gone off-roading in Coorg and Chikmagalur and never even had a puncture!

Recently had a puncture in the city and the pressure gauge showed ZERO PSI. But the tyre looked ok. Checked it and it was a proper puncture. A nice nail had made itself at home.

The tyre was basically behaving like a run flat! Mighty impressed with the tyre today.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2866406
Old 13th August 2012, 17:45   #460
BHPian

Quote:
That's reassuring ! And yes, although new now, they are very silent. The one advantage with this size is that the sidewall is pretty high. So it'll be a tad safer I guess.

Btw, your reviews in the C-Drive thread helped a lot ! Thanks !

I need to change the Baleno tyres soon. The Eagle F1 GSD3s have served peacefully for 43K kms !! Yes !! And they have enough tread to go till 50. But as expected, have become extremely noisy.

I am torn between the 195/60/14 ZLO and the 185/65/14 C-Drives. Price is similar for both. I'm so used to the planted feel of 195s than I am apprehensive that the 185/65 will end up feeling a bit 'floaty' !
The ZLOS are pretty good considering they are asymetric and noise levels are quiet low.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:04   #461
Senior - BHPian

looks cool. You can sand down and do a pearl white paint job on the car to get some awesome look.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:36   #462
Team-BHP Support

That is a sweeeet Civic! The 225 sections should give you fantastic grip too. We've found an improvement after swapping the stock tyres to 205/65 R15" (Michelin XM2s), so I can only imagine what 225's on 17"s should be. What's the ride quality like?

I'm a sucker for subtlety and minute details, and red calipers those go very nicely with that red Honda badge.

P.S. If you've got the moolah, Koni adjustables with these wheels and tyres would make your ride unbelievably sorted.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th August 2012 at 10:40.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 15:03   #463
Senior - BHPian

More pictures from today's drive to Agra on Taj Expressway

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1_dsc0445.jpg

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1_dsc0690.jpg

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1_dsc0439.jpg
iTNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 12:45   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After lots of deliberation, switched to 225/60r15 C-Drives on the stock alloys. Car was earlier running on 205/60r15 db-V550.
That is quite an upsize, shuvc ! Any feedback on how it feels after using it for some time now ?

Also, if possible, could you please post some more side-profile pics of your car...I would like to see how the tyres now fill the wheel well.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 4th October 2012 at 12:47.
Old 4th October 2012, 13:25   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
That is quite an upsize, shuvc ! Any feedback on how it feels after using it for some time now ?

Also, if possible, could you please post some more side-profile pics of your car...I would like to see how the tyres now fill the wheel well.
  • Have used them for around 2K kms only. Ride has become better by a large margin. Some of the dash rattles seem to have reduced a lot too !!
  • High speeds are obviously more sure-footed. Wet and dry grip is very good for all practical purposes.
  • There might be a tad additional roll in corners. Sliiiiightly. Not sure. Does not feel alarming at all.
  • Steering still feels wonderful.
  • Quite silent. But then they are still new.
  • GC has increased on paper. And I could even feel it after the switch. I felt I was sitting higher ! But even earlier the car didn't normally scrape anywhere, hence don't really have much of a reference point for before and after GC related scenarios.
  • FE has probably dropped by 0.5 to 0.75kmpl. But then it's still good. I managed 16kmpl (!!) over a 420km highway drive keeping revvs within 2500rpm (80-100kmph) with 100% AC. And I did this twice !

Cons (nit-picking)
  • Car will feel a bit raised. I prefer the low slung effect
  • If observed closely, they do look over-sized and balloon out over the rims from the side
  • C-drives typically look narrower than the size indicates. So it does not look as fat as you would expect from 225s
  • Sliiiiiight additional body roll in corners. Due to much taller sidewall, I guess.

Here's the one side-on snap that I have. Has not touched anywhere in the wheel well yet.

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-side-profile.jpg
shuvc is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks