Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2011, 12:03   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Please do post a comprehensive review soon. I would love to know what these tyres are like when paired with a high performance car.
Old 29th April 2011, 15:19   #197
BHPian

Hi,
Have been going through this thread and am in a dilemma because some info here appears to be a bit dated.

I will be taking delivery of a Laura 1.8 TSI Ambiente. OE Tyres are NCT5 195/65/R15.

Dealer is quoting Rs. 48k to upgrade to 205/55/R16. Dealer is the only option for size upgrade because of the 112 PCD for the Laura.

My preference is for durable tyres (for our bad roads) with good grip. Comfort is not much of a concern as I am looking for tyres that will enable me to enjoy the thrills that the TSI can provide, while maintaining the safety aspect.

What options do I have in 15"? Will the available choices improve if I go for the upgrade to 16".

Thanks.

Last edited by decced : 29th April 2011 at 15:20. Reason: Formatting
Old 29th April 2011, 15:43   #198
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

decced the tyre upgrade that you are planning also requires a rim uprade hence the cost.

You can get rims from the Laura outside of the authorized dealer as well, but those rims would not be of the Skoda brand (though them may actually look better)

The price given for five tyres and rims in exchange seem kind of ok if these are skoda original rims that your are getting. (the fifth rim would not be an alloy)

You could get better looking rims and a better deal outside (inspite of the pcd) if you are ok with non skoda original rims.

Try Anand Tyres at milan subway vileparle if you stay close to it.

205/55 R16 best look will be achieved with Yoko S-Drives (these will only last about 30k kms and are sporty tyres that are low on comfort and high on performance, they do make a bit of noise. They are comparatively lower priced.

You need to finalize your deal with which ever tyre shop before taking delivery of the car and have to take the car straight to the tyre dealer from the showroom.
Old 29th April 2011, 16:06   #199
BANNED

hi
is bridgestone pontenza re-11 avaible in india
i am using this tire in my skoda laura one of best tires i have ever used in my life can easly go until 200km really very nice tires
also when it rains the tire become even more better grip on the road is really fantastic tire

narry
Old 29th April 2011, 17:34   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

You can get rims from the Laura outside of the authorized dealer as well, but those rims would not be of the Skoda brand (though them may actually look better)

The price given for five tyres and rims in exchange seem kind of ok if these are skoda original rims that your are getting. (the fifth rim would not be an alloy)

You could get better looking rims and a better deal outside (inspite of the pcd) if you are ok with non skoda original rims.

Try Anand Tyres at milan subway vileparle if you stay close to it.

205/55 R16 best look will be achieved with Yoko S-Drives (these will only last about 30k kms and are sporty tyres that are low on comfort and high on performance, they do make a bit of noise. They are comparatively lower priced.

You need to finalize your deal with which ever tyre shop before taking delivery of the car and have to take the car straight to the tyre dealer from the showroom.
Have checked with Premji's, Thane. The PCD is definitely a problem.

The cost quoted by the dealer (JMD) is only for 4 16" rims + NCT5 upsize to 205/55/R16. Seems very steep especially when there's only a ~Rs. 3k differential in price of the OE alloys (16" vs. 15") in the dealer's own accesories price list.

So the upsize + tyre change would set me back ~65k.. Not sure I want to spend so much if the benefits are not going to be proportional.

How would you rate the S-drives in terms of sidewall toughness? There's a thread here stating that they're not so good in Indian conditions.. Hence my doubt.
Old 30th April 2011, 19:38   #201
BHPian

Tyres and Alloy upgrade for Laura TSI

Guys, I am looking at the prospects of going for a Laura TSI and as you know it comes with 15" alloys. I would definitely want to upgrade to 16" or 17" alloys if I happen to go for the Laura.

I want to know if anyone has 17" alloys on a Laura and what is the feedback on them. Ideally 16" would be the best choice between ride quality and handling but I would love to go for 17" if there is not too much issue with ride comfort.

I heard the price one needs to pay to get 16" alloys and tyres is around 70K in Bangalore. This means the dealer will replace the stock 15" alloys and tyres with 16" ones along with the spare (non-alloy). Is this a good deal? looks too steep to me.

Alternatively, if I have to get rid of the Skoda alloys outside, where can I sell them and what price will I get for those? I heard it will be a meager amount if I sell them outside. Then I would need to buy 16" alloys separately with Skoda that cost around 14K each.

Any thoughts on this? What options do I have? Need advice pls.
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:20   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

225/45 R17 Michelin PS3 is available and simply because of that I would recommend you go in for 17". Yes, ride quality will be worse compared to 16", but this would make your car a complete road rocket.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 12:39   #203
BHPian

Laura Tyres - deciding on Yokohama v550, pl advice

Hello,

After 75,500 KM, one of my stock Dunlop Sport in my Laura is not repairable. Another one I lost on one of my trips to Delhi, side wall cut. So its time to get new tyres.

I am buying in Pune and will stick to stock size off 205 / 60 / R15. I know its little unusual profile, so options are limited. Gone to Darshan tyres, guys there not interested to talk and could not offer anything. Pushing for 205/65 which I am not interested.

Called Anand Tyres in Dapodi, nice guys as per earlier reviews on T-bhp. Person said they are getting Yokohama v550 in this size for Rs 5950 / - a piece plus few freebies. Checked with Safiee tyres in Mumbai, Jitu bhai quoted 5750/- for the same. So If I am going for this tyre, I will better buy here in Pune since I am currently here.

Now, please advice on this tyre Yoko AVS db v550. Seen little rounds going in here and people preferring it.

Is there any other option should I look for? like Conti CPC2, anything in Micheline ?? I have a feeling that Yokohama is a softer compound tyre and may not last long. Any user experience on this please ?

Will appreciate some views on this.
Thanks,
Vipul
Old 11th May 2011, 11:01   #204
Senior - BHPian

Re: Laura Tyres - deciding on Yokohama v550, pl advice

Though we have already answered your query here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2281575
Anways I'm answering it once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_bscity View Post
I am buying in Pune and will stick to stock size off 205 / 60 / R15. I know its little unusual profile, so options are limited.
Yes options are quite limited for these profiles. coz AFAIK only Laura comes with these tyre profile/size as stock.

I have the same tyres(Yoko AVS v550 db) in my CIVIC, (civic stock tyre size & profile is 195/65 R15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_bscity
Person said they are getting Yokohama v550 in this size for Rs 5950 / - a piece plus few freebies. Checked with Safiee tyres in Mumbai, Jitu bhai quoted 5750/- for the same.
I paid 5100Rs in the month of Feb (just before the price hike) including fitting here in Bangalore.

[quote=vipul_bscityNow, please advice on this tyre Yoko AVS db v550. Seen little rounds going in here and people preferring it.[/quote]
It's a silica based tyre. I have been using it for almost 3 months now.
They are very good tyres. Very less road noise, braking is good in dry conditions, but found them to be not so effective in wet conditions.
But overall a good tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_bscity
Is there any other option should I look for? like Conti CPC2, anything in Micheline ?? I have a feeling that Yokohama is a softer compound tyre and may not last long. Any user experience on this please ?
Yoko's will easily last 35K kms if proper alignment n balancing is done at the required intervals.
I have used Yokos & Michelin earlier in my CITY too.
CPC2 is also a very good tyre. I have used them. But these tyres are not as easily available as that of Yokos. I couldn't source CPC2 (205/60/R15) tyres, so I settled with Yokos.
If you can find them use this tyre.
Michelin Primacy is alo a very good tyre, they last longer than the Yoko AVS. Braking is excellent in Michelin both in dry n wet condition.
But tyres are not as silent as Yoko AVS

@mods, please merge this thread with the following thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...res-laura.html
Old 12th May 2011, 12:55   #205
BHPian

Finally, yesterday was a good day for my Red Beaming beauty (Laura). She got new sets of tyres. I zeroed in on Yokohama decibel v550. The reason for deciding was two. One, I couldn't source Conti CPC2 in Pune, second Yoko v550 has got good reviews here.

Bought from Anand Tyres (Trading Company) in Dapodi, Pune. It is just across the Road to Atlas Cappo on Old Pune - Mumbai Highway.

Daniel, nice person from there facilitated the deal. Ordered the tyres a days before and he promptly confirmed on phone as soon as the tyres arrived. Got 5750/- a piece with Balacing, Weight, alighment and a Mumbai Indian Tee Shirt free.

Bad Part: One of the worker damaged one of my master bolt in rear right wheel. You know Laura comes with a master bolt as one Bolt in each tyres. The guy possibly lapsed while using the machin bolt tightner and since the bolt attachement was not correctly in place, the bolt teeth inside is completely gone. Now I have to order one from Skoda by giving the VIN number etc. Right now I can't unbolt this tyre as the master bolt can't be unbolted

Feedback on Tyres: This will not be new here. Tyres are extra ordinary silent. Period. I yet to see the grip and braking level on wet and slippery roads and see if they matches my stock Dunlop Sport, which was simply outstanding in wet.

Confusion now : the new tyre however is the same profile as the old one 205/60/15, looks significantly small, in width, height and the sidewall as well that the stock one. some pictures of them below. Now the question is, is japanees tyres smaller that german ones on the same size ?? Any inputs from the Gurus will certainly add value. As of now its big confusion.
Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-rps20110512_122158.jpg

Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-rps20110512_122236.jpg

Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-rps20110512_122329.jpg

Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-rps20110512_122408.jpg

Old stock tyres: few pics. Still looks good for 75,300 KM

Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-rps20110512_122021.jpg
Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-rps20110512_122054.jpg
Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-rps20110512_122125.jpg

New Yoko avs db v550:

Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-rps20110512_122457.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited by vipul_bscity : 12th May 2011 at 13:00. Reason: addition
Old 12th May 2011, 14:38   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
225/45 R17 Michelin PS3 is available and simply because of that I would recommend you go in for 17". Yes, ride quality will be worse compared to 16", but this would make your car a complete road rocket.
Happy new owner of a Laura 1.8Tsi. Upgraded the alloys to 17" & tires to Michelin 225/45/17 a few days ago.
Haven't driven enough as yet to let the tires run in, so can't really post feedback on performance. Was concerned about significantly harsher ride quality than on the stock tires. Happy to say that I don't see a significant difference even on poor road surfaces.

Though I can say that sourcing the alloys & tires wasn't easy! Thanks Nikhil

Last edited by jatinganapathy : 12th May 2011 at 14:53.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:25   #207
BHPian

73,500 km ?????Cant believe it. Is this normal? Because if it is...then there is something really abnormal with my tyres.
Old 23rd July 2011, 11:40   #208
BHPian

Hi team,

My dad's Laura PD has completed 37000 km. I have been advised by the wheel alignment guys to change the tyres. The car came with Goodyear tyres of 195/65 r15. The tyres have descent grip but very noisy and wear is also uneven.

Dad loves to drive and so usually takes the car for outstation trips. My main requirement is that the tyres should be able to take the abuse on the highways and comfortable. I am also thinking of trying out 205/65 r15 for better comfort, grip and the 6 mm of extra GC always a plus for our highways.

Please recommend the tyres that i should consider before deciding?
Old 23rd July 2011, 18:55   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Confusion now : the new tyre however is the same profile as the old one 205/60/15, looks significantly small, in width, height and the sidewall as well that the stock one. some pictures of them below. Now the question is, is japanees tyres smaller that german ones on the same size ?? Any inputs from the Gurus will certainly add value. As of now its big confusion.
You are comparing an unladen tyre with a a laden one! When the tyre is mounted on a rim and is bearing the weight of the car, it tends to lose some height. Even if you compare your new unladen yoko itself with the laden one, you will find the same height difference.

Tyre sizes are universal. I don't think Japanese tyres of the same size can be smaller than German ones. Only the people are (height).
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2011, 19:43   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
Yokohama tyres for the same spec/profile are usually narrower than Michelin or MRF etc. I saw this myself with A-drives at Sai Iyengar tyres where the proprieter mentioned this to me. So, its possible that your Yokos are narrower than the CPC2. It seems there is some allowable "delta" when a tyre is marked as x mm wide (for eg. 195). Can't say if its true for all Yokos though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks