Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2013, 23:58   #241
BHPian

re: Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Planning on picking up an '10 Laura TSi. The stock tires are pretty worn out even though the car has been driven 29K. I'm planning on upgrading to 205's. Any suggestions on choosing between Yoko's or Michelins? I'm looking for something that's durable (35-40K), low road noise and offer a comfortable drive. Moreover, I do plan on speeding on the Expressway, so something that's got a good grip would be an added bonus.

From what I've read on the forums, I've concluded that the S.Drives, PS3's are decent choices. If there's anything else that I should consider, I'm all ears. I don't want to spend 9-12K a pop either!

I'm considering 205/55/15's or even 205/50/15's for the slightly sporty look. GC isn't really an issue with the Laura.

Would appreciate any help, thanks!
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:58   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealistic View Post
Planning on picking up an '10 Laura TSi. The stock tires are pretty worn out even though the car has been driven 29K. I'm planning on upgrading to 205's. Any suggestions on choosing between Yoko's or Michelins?
Avoid the S-drives. They are not reliable.

Stick to Michelin PS3's. Best choice for your needs.
If you are very keen on yoko's, check out the decibel series. Just be aware that they are not as good as the michelin's in grip department.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:01   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Avoid the S-drives. They are not reliable.

Stick to Michelin PS3's. Best choice for your needs.
If you are very keen on yoko's, check out the decibel series. Just be aware that they are not as good as the michelin's in grip department.

Thanks,
Simple_car
What about any other brand? Continental has decent reviews too.
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:02   #244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Planning on picking up an '10 Laura TSi. The stock tires are pretty worn out even though the car has been driven 29K. I'm planning on upgrading to 205's. Any suggestions on choosing between Yoko's or Michelins? I'm looking for something that's durable (35-40K), low road noise and offer a comfortable drive. Moreover, I do plan on speeding on the Expressway, so something that's got a good grip would be an added bonus.

From what I've read on the forums, I've concluded that the S.Drives, PS3's are decent choices. If there's anything else that I should consider, I'm all ears. I don't want to spend 9-12K a pop either!

I'm considering 205/55/15's or even 205/50/15's for the slightly sporty look. GC isn't really an issue with the Laura.

Both upsizes mentioned by you are wrong. The stock size is 195/65, and the correct upsize would be 205/60 15. No real performance tyres in those sizes.

You can get Continental CPC2s, or Bridgestone Potenza MY02s.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:21   #245
BHPian

Quote:
What about any other brand? Continental has decent reviews too.
I have no personal experience of cpc2's on laura (I had the previous gen which was sold 5 years back). I had them on another car. They are decent tyres. As member akshay1234 has said, first your upsize is wrong. In the 205/60/15's, you have no option for performance tyres.

Amongst the more popular options, I would say Michelin primacy > Bridgestone MY02 > Conti's = Yoko's (the db series).

The conti's and yoko's offerings in India are at best average. Even bridgestone for that matter is ok-ish. But, I would still prefer them over conti's since they handle bad roads much better (as in you will face less punctures, sidewall cuts etc.).

I am currently running michelin Plc's in 2 cars in bombay itself. They have a soft sidewall than others, but I have not had any problems with them per say. But you have been warned.

Also, I believe that michelin has come out with primacy 3 st which are claimed to be better. These tyres will be of new stock with the dealers. Primacy lc stocks are generally old (but you will have to check with the dealers for this).

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:54   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Both upsizes mentioned by you are wrong. The stock size is 195/65, and the correct upsize would be 205/60 15. No real performance tyres in those sizes.

You can get Continental CPC2s, or Bridgestone Potenza MY02s.
You're right. According to the tire size calculator, I've got an option for 205/60/15 or 215/60/15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
I have no personal experience of cpc2's on laura (I had the previous gen which was sold 5 years back). I had them on another car. They are decent tyres. As member akshay1234 has said, first your upsize is wrong. In the 205/60/15's, you have no option for performance tyres.

Amongst the more popular options, I would say Michelin primacy > Bridgestone MY02 > Conti's = Yoko's (the db series).

The conti's and yoko's offerings in India are at best average. Even bridgestone for that matter is ok-ish. But, I would still prefer them over conti's since they handle bad roads much better (as in you will face less punctures, sidewall cuts etc.).

I am currently running michelin Plc's in 2 cars in bombay itself. They have a soft sidewall than others, but I have not had any problems with them per say. But you have been warned.

Also, I believe that michelin has come out with primacy 3 st which are claimed to be better. These tyres will be of new stock with the dealers. Primacy lc stocks are generally old (but you will have to check with the dealers for this).

Thanks,
Simple_car
So, you suggest, for my requirements, the Michelin Primacy 3 would be a good option? I'm going to avoid the Bridgestone and the Conti's altogether.
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:11   #247
BHPian

Quote:
You're right. According to the tire size calculator, I've got an option for 205/60/15 or 215/60/15.

So, you suggest, for my requirements, the Michelin Primacy 3 would be a good option? I'm going to avoid the Bridgestone and the Conti's altogether.
In short: YES.

I do trust michelin as a brand. You do pay a premium for their tyres, but it's worth it in my opinion. I have used XM1+, XM2's, Plc's, Latitude Hp's. Currently, 2 cars on Plc's. I have taken the chance with their tyres at a time when they were kind of infamous about their sidewalls.. Frankly, of all the brands, I am most satisfied with michelin's and bridgestone's only.

Am now experimenting with apollo's (since 1 year), and till now I am happy with these as well.

All used in Bombay and Navi-Mumbai only. Never had an issue with any of these tyres (except for one sidewall cut, even then I put in a tube and used these tyres till the end of its life).

Primacy 3 st are new in India (albeit the company claims it has specifically modified the primacy 3 series sold around the globe for asian terrain), so you will be a guinea-pig, no doubts. Warranty is just on paper with michelin. They do not bother much about it.

But, looking at your requirements, Primacy 3 st will satisfy you to the 'T'.

The only other brand option to be considered according to me are apollo's. However, michelin is michelin at the end of the day. Nothing comes close to comfort, silence and grip in India as on date.

There are other options now available I have been told (like falken, pirreli etc.), but again I have heard they are sold via the grey market (am not sure though).

Kindly keep us updated on your decision and experience. It does help us in selecting the tyres in the future.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 9th September 2013, 16:39   #248
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Suggest you get the 16" alloys.
Then go for 205/55/16 as stock size or 215 or 225/55/16 upsize.

In Yoko:

Sdrives will only last 30k kms. And will be sporty and bad for the back.

ES501 DB will last 40k kms. And will be quite and comfortable.

The same logic will apply in Michelin options as well.
Old 11th September 2013, 17:35   #249

I've driven the Skud Laura 1.9PD with 17inches. The vehicle was on Pete's tuning box (claimed 130bhp). The alloys were HR 17 inches. I have driven on th following tyres and this is my experience:

(1) Michelin Pilot Preceda2 (225/45 R17): Tyre developed side wall bulges and then the tyres were not readily available. (Good tyres, but not the best size. Expected Mileage: 35,000km if you are able to drive without bulges)
(2) Yokohama Advan Neova AD07(225/45 R17): The best tyres. I just loved them. They were extremely grippy, smooth, silent and free rolling. The car behaved like a sports car. But very poor mileage and side wall. (Best tyres, but extremely expensive. Expected Mileage: 12,000km, bald, but still perform)
(3) Continental PC2 (225/50 R17): Not a very precise size, but accoring to me the best size. They were a bit hard, but other wise perormed fairly ok. (Good tyre for above average performance. Mileage done: 43000km, still could do a 1000 or two)
(4) Yokohama Advan Sport (225/50 R17): My current set. Driven about 15000 km and love it. I think finally I got the size right, wear and tear suits my budget. (My choice. Expected Mileage: 40,000km)

The first two set of tyres did not last till they wore out. There were side wall bulges and a few damages to the rims also. Though the size gave some look and performance feel on good roads, they could not take the slightest beating. If i were to make my choice again, I would go for (4). Hope this info was useful for you.
Old 11th September 2013, 20:39   #250
BHPian

I'm getting a Laura TDI delivered soon. The tyres that come with the car are of 205/55 x 16" spec. Could you suggest a good recommendation for a tyre swap of the same size? I'm not really looking for outright performance. Would prefer something with a balance across comfort, quiet ride, grip and a life of approx. 30-35k kms.
Old 12th September 2013, 09:42   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
I'm getting a Laura TDI delivered soon. The tyres that come with the car are of 205/55 x 16" spec. Could you suggest a good recommendation for a tyre swap of the same size? I'm not really looking for outright performance. Would prefer something with a balance across comfort, quiet ride, grip and a life of approx. 30-35k kms.
Go for the newly launched Michelin Primacy 3 ST and you won't regret it. They replace the Primacy LC which I have on my Laura currently. I've done 43k kms and the tyres look good for another 7~8 k kms.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 11:15   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
Speaking to Sai Iyengar Indiranagar the other day (I have a 2011 Laura), his recommendation was to go with the Yoko C Drives. He knows that I'm very careful, but don't baby the car in potholed stretches. So he probably thought that the alleged "soft Michelin sidewalls" might not suit me.

Incidentally, his wife was picking up a Brio that day and he mentioned that he was swapping out the stock tires with the Yoko C Drives.

Not certain if the Yoko C Drives come in your desired size for 16" rims
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 11:53   #253
BANNED

How are Good Year eagle NCT-5 205*55*16 tyres are?

How are Apollo Alnec. does any one have experience these tyres? Is it worth to change to Apollo Alnec from OEM GY?

Apollo dealer is ready to exchange all 5 tyres with 4000 as difference amount for all tyres. is it a good deal ? any other dealer is not much interested as as are saying NCT-5 is not a hot selling item so not much interested.

To me OEM seem too noicy to compare with my old Verna which on Michelin XM2.

Please advice.
Old 11th October 2013, 22:10   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawandeep View Post
How are Good Year eagle NCT-5 205*55*16 tyres are?

How are Apollo Alnec. does any one have experience these tyres? Is it worth to change to Apollo Alnec from OEM GY?

To me OEM seem too noicy to compare with my old Verna which on Michelin XM2.

Please advice.
The Goodyears are noisy too. The same size came as stock tyres on my Linea and with barely 10k km in they were hard and noisy.

The feedback on Alnac 4G is tracked here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...es-anyone.html
Old 17th December 2013, 23:24   #255
BHPian

Changed the original Goodyears (195x65x15) at about 44,000 km's yesterday. They were nearly worn out and were super noisy. I went with my friendly neighborhood shop, Sai Iyengar's @ Indiranagar, again. I intended to get the Yoko C-drive's, but ended up buying the Yoko Earth-1's based on Ashwin's repeated advice that they had better side walls. Given that I drive on some dubious roads in Bangalore and beyond, I thought that it was sensible advice. I got a good quote. They also bought back my pristine (never-used) spare, thus saving me some money in the process.

Balancing, wheel alignment and Nitrogen fill-up were thrown in as part of the deal. Apparently, I just missed the company offer of a free Black & Decker car vacuum along with purchase of 4 Earth-1's. I've asked Sai Iyengar to push the company to see if they can get it to me as an exception.

Early days - the Earth-1's are proving to be much quieter. We have a Coimbatore run coming up this weekend. I hope to get a better sense after that drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks