Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 14:30   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I find the Stock Goodyear NCT5 195/65 R15 Tires on my Laura inadequate, the Goodyear GT3 195/60 R15 tires on my Punto have almost worn out so i thought i'd move the tires from Laura to Punto and get better quality tires for Laura. I decided to stick 15" at the time of purchase owing to poor quality roads and my intent to keep the Ride comfort intact(I am happy with the decision).

Now i want to upgrade to better quality rubber, i want to know the following-
  • What are the size options?
  • Which tire? I used Yokohama db on my previous car, i liked the priceerformance ratio. I'd love comfort + performance oriented rubber from Yokohama or Michelin.
Old 10th August 2011, 14:51   #212
Team-BHP Support

Anshuman if you can get 215/60 R15 that would be ideal. The Laura is quite powerful and I think 195s are inadequate. I don't know which tyres are available in this size though, its a bit uncommon.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 16:45   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Anshuman if you can get 215/60 R15 that would be ideal. The Laura is quite powerful and I think 195s are inadequate. I don't know which tyres are available in this size though, its a bit uncommon.
I know the 195 section tires especially the NCT5 are inadequate for the kind of speeds this car can do, this is one of the reasons why i have been avoiding to drive it at high speeds.

Any idea if Yokohamas and Michelins come in this odd size?
Old 10th August 2011, 17:41   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I know the 195 section tires especially the NCT5 are inadequate for the kind of speeds this car can do, this is one of the reasons why i have been avoiding to drive it at high speeds.

I think 215 will be too wide for the stock rims. Since you are particular about retaining ride comfort, Michelin Primacy LC would be a good choice. Many Laura owners and Civic owners on the forum have upsized to 205/65/15 from their stock 195/65s. I have 205/55/16 PLCs on my TSI and can vouch for their performance and comfort. Some people find Michelin sidewalls to be soft and prone to cuts and bulges. I have had no such issues on the 195/60/15s on my Corolla for the last 10K kms or so. But I must also add that I drive mostly on decent city roads in Bangalore.
Old 19th September 2011, 13:42   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

Hi Anshuman,

What did you finally go for? Thought I'd use your logic for the new Jetta as well. The Jetta has 205/55/16 Goodyear NCT as a standard, but what from I read in the review, changing the tyres makes sense, may not be in terms of specs but at least brand. Your search was the closest to what I was looking for.
Old 18th July 2012, 16:57   #216
Senior - BHPian

I am considering a tyre upgrade for the Laura but I would want a rough road tyre. I did check on ChangeMyTyre.com but all of them were having a huge offset from the stock tyres.

What would be my alternative?

Nitin
Old 18th July 2012, 17:46   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose
I am considering a tyre upgrade for the Laura but I would want a rough road tyre. I did check on ChangeMyTyre.com but all of them were having a huge offset from the stock tyres.

Nitin
What size rims do you have on your car? I got A drive last year, i picked them over db because they are told be stronger. I got an upsize 205/65 R15.
Old 18th July 2012, 17:58   #218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post

Nitin
You booked the L&K right? C Drives should be available in the stock size, go for those. While obviously not as tough as off road tyres they take a fair amount of abuse. Another option is the Bridgestone Turanza which again is pretty tough.
Old 18th July 2012, 22:16   #219
Senior - BHPian

Can I put off-road tyres for the Laura?

Please suggest me some good tyre shops in bangalore.

Last edited by nitinbose : 18th July 2012 at 22:30.
Old 18th July 2012, 22:31   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

How about Madhus owned by Nikhilb on the forum.
Old 18th July 2012, 22:33   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that a good choice? Where is it located?
Old 18th July 2012, 23:03   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that a good choice? Where is it located?
Its in Langford road. There is a dedicated thread in the "Bangalore" Section of the Forum.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html
Old 19th July 2012, 00:59   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Correction: its Nikhilb2008.

They have another shop at Basavanagudi as well.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 21:30   #224
BHPian

I need a bit of advice on my next tire change on my Skoda Laura Elegance MT 2.0 TDI
Stock tires were Goodyear Eagle NCTs. Over the last 4 and half months and 5.5K Kms, I have already had 4 punctures (all were repaired, all nails) with last puncture being a side wall puncture exposing some metal wires. I am disgusted with the quality of these stock tires regarding comfort / road noise. Road grip seems to be OK. My driving is mostly in city with occasional highway spirited drives. I need reasonable grip in wet weather as well as it rains cats and dogs during monsoons here. My question is
What should be my next tire change? I want to stay with 205/55 R16s. (any problems with 205/60/R16s?)
Next tire should be an all rounder tire. But I would put need for comfort and low road noise and road grip on top. Durability and cost are not the most important issues as such but I expect it to last at least 40K Kms decent driving.
Any problems with unidirectional tires? If I keep a spare one in boot, when I have to change during a puncture if direction happens to be reverse, any issues?
If I have to choose among Michelin / Yokohama / Bridgestone, what should be the order of preference and which models?
Could somebody enlighten me?

Last edited by dezrskb : 15th February 2013 at 21:34.
Old 15th February 2013, 21:38   #225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
I need a bit of advice on my next tire change on my Skoda Laura Elegance MT 2.0 TDI
Stock tires were Goodyear Eagle NCTs. Over the last 4 and half months and 5.5K Kms, I have already had 4 punctures (all were repaired, all nails) with last puncture being a side wall puncture exposing some metal wires. I am disgusted with the quality of these stock tires regarding comfort / road noise. Road grip seems to be OK. My driving is mostly in city with occasional highway spirited drives. I need reasonable grip in wet weather as well as it rains cats and dogs during monsoons here. My question is
What should be my next tire change? I want to stay with 205/55 R16s. (any problems with 205/60/R16s?)
Next tire should be an all rounder tire. But I would put need for comfort and low road noise and road grip on top. Durability and cost are not the most important issues as such but I expect it to last at least 40K Kms decent driving.
Any problems with unidirectional tires? If I keep a spare one in boot, when I have to change during a puncture if direction happens to be reverse, any issues?
If I have to choose among Michelin / Yokohama / Bridgestone, what should be the order of preference and which models?
Could somebody enlighten me?
Nails are something you can't really help. They will puncture most tyres. Its just bad luck.

If you do want to change, go for some tyre which isn't too delicate (not that the stock ones are)

Check this out -
http://www.tyreonwheels.com/Tyre/car...05&tp=55&tr=16

Yoko C drives come to mind as very good all round tyres. Advan sports are also excellent, but c drives would take rough roads better. The other option is Michelin Primacy LCs, but after speaking to Nikhilb it seems they tyres which need to be looked after.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks