Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2009, 15:43   #181
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Swift: I suggest you go for 185/70 R14 XM1+. Superb tyre.

Alto: You can go for 12" or 13" depending on your rims. If you have 12" rims and dont want to buy a new set of rims, then get XM1+ in 12" itself. On the other hand, you could try Bridgestone ER 60 on one car.

OHC: Since this is an old car, see if the rims are in good condition. If they are, then get tubeless. Options are XM1+, BS ER 60 and Yoko A drive.

My suggestion is this: You have a splendid option to test a variety of tyres. Get three different brands. Just for the experience!
I want tubeless tyres for all. The Swift rims are in good condition, the Alto ones are bad and I need new ones that's why I was thinking of 13". The OHC has alloys. Which other brands do you suggest.
Old 31st July 2009, 16:10   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

If you need to change Alto rims, then go in for 13. Then you can go in for 155/65 R13 Michelin.

Personally, I would suggest only 2. Michelin and Yokohama. Somehow I dont like Bridgestone. But some of their tyres are decent. ER 60, GR 80(discontinued now).
Old 31st July 2009, 16:44   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Which tyres are those (stock) ? How much thread depth do they have left ?
Stock tyres.
They have quite a bit in them. I mean one can easily make out the worn out treads, but none in this case. Maybe I should click some photos to give you a better idea.
Quote:
In the end, it totally depends on your driving style - if you drive "slow and steady" then your current set may last you some more.
Words like slow and steady cannot be used when I am behind the wheel
Quote:
If you're the kind who like to push your car hard then the upgrade is worth it for the better grip.
Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Well, it is not necessary to change. But then you dont always have to wait for the old tyres to wear out before changing. You can change to better rubber straight away.
Thanks guys I'll let you know in a day or two.
Old 5th August 2009, 16:14   #184

Another Reason to buy Michelin XM1+

BUY 4 MICHELIN TYRES AND GET A TRAVELBAG WORTH Rs.2050/- FREE !!!

Free Travel Bag / Campaigns / Promotions & Campaigns / News & Promotions / Home - www.michelin.in

Offer is valid until 31st August 2009

I may miss this as I am planning to buy after september first week...
Old 5th August 2009, 17:26   #185
Senior - BHPian

ahhh wish they had this offer last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by drraj View Post
Another Reason to buy Michelin XM1+

BUY 4 MICHELIN TYRES AND GET A TRAVELBAG WORTH Rs.2050/- FREE !!!

Free Travel Bag / Campaigns / Promotions & Campaigns / News & Promotions / Home - www.michelin.in

Offer is valid until 31st August 2009

I may miss this as I am planning to buy after september first week...
Old 5th August 2009, 19:07   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Hehe. These companies generally have these offers from time to time... Right now, Continental Tyres also have an offer. A free laptop backpack from Lotto with 4 tyres.
Old 6th August 2009, 14:43   #187
sb1

Hi,

I have just booked a i10 Era and which is scheduled for tire upgrade .

I been following this post very closely. It appears that there is a argument and counter argument if a 175/70 R 13 will fit on the stock rims (13) that come with i10s.

I have selected ER 60 Turanza. The dealer offered me Rs 3300 for the tire and 1900 for busy back of the old ones.

Is it a good deal.
Old 6th August 2009, 16:26   #188
BHPian

Picked up 4 Michelin Energy XM1+ 185/70/14 @ 3440 per tyre at Super Tyre Tec (Prakash's place on JC Road). So the Potenza GIII's are out after 44 K km and waiting to see how the XM1+ is going to compare to that.
Old 10th August 2009, 09:36   #189
BHPian

A question for tyre gurus-i have a verna vgt with original tyres-on neo alloys 14 inchers torque chrome model.i think the alloys are 5.5j.now want to upgrade to michelin xm1+ in 195/60/14.on the michelin site for this tyre size min rim width required is 5.5j n recomended is 6.0j.will i be having any trouble as i have the min size alloys-dont want to change alloys.or should i go in for 185 xm1+?please help.
Old 10th August 2009, 09:42   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, unless you are going to drive like you a race driver, it should be ok. It is just that at very high cornering speeds, the tyre may not be too stable if you put it on a narrower rim.

For normal driving it should be ok. to be safe, stick to 185/65 R14. It will give you better ride quality as well.
Old 10th August 2009, 11:58   #191
Team-BHP Support

I somehow not a big fan of Michellin since they have a very wonky feedback, though they are the best when it comes to ride and road noise.

Rufroc: what are your observation with the new tires?
Old 10th August 2009, 13:51   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I somehow not a big fan of Michellin since they have a very wonky feedback, though they are the best when it comes to ride and road noise.
Rufroc: what are your observation with the new tires?
Jaggu, have driven around 500 km (350 km - highway) on the new tyres so far. Ride and road noise without a doubt +1 over my earlier GIII's but though I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible, a brief stint at 140 km/hr on the Bangalore - Chennai highway, didn't give me that good feeling in terms of grip. Felt that the GIII's even on a wet surface inspired more confidence. However, I didn't want to pass judgement so early on, so lets see ... am sure there are members in here who have been using the XM1 for long enough to give a detailed review.

Right now if someone asks me, I think I'd prefer the GIII's. It again depends on the individual's priority, Grip was the most important then it's the GIII in my book, everything else probably the Michelin (again, probably it's not a fair comparison since I should be pitting the performance tyres of Michelin against the GIII's)
Old 10th August 2009, 14:12   #193
Senior - BHPian

XM1 is an "energy" aka "econo" aka "FE" tyre from Michelin.
Just decent grip. Nothing phenomenal.
Old 10th August 2009, 15:10   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufRoc View Post
Right now if someone asks me, I think I'd prefer the GIII's. It again depends on the individual's priority, Grip was the most important then it's the GIII in my book, everything else probably the Michelin (again, probably it's not a fair comparison since I should be pitting the performance tyres of Michelin against the GIII's)
If its grip you're after then the PP2's, Advan's and S.Drive's beat the GIII's hollow.
Old 10th August 2009, 16:53   #195
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Rufroc, it helped.

Ok now i have a riddle which am trying to solve here, help me guys.

I run 195/65/14 Goodyear Ventura's, which has done a pretty decent job considering the kind of abuse i have put them through. Ideally i would want to keep the same size for next change, and there starts the riddle. In india there are not many options available in this size. Yoko A drive is the only option right now i guess.

I dont want to 185's since i feel 195's are required for my slightly aggressive driving and going below 65 profile can be an issue thanks to the roads that i traverse, especially while on my highway trips and also due to ground clearance issue of swifts in general.

I dont mind upsizing to 70 profiles ie 195/70/14 in which the XM1+ are also available, but Michellin being Michellin the upsize would give me a very vague steering, atleast thats my fear.

Is this fear called for or do i have other options?

For me grip/steering feedback, breaking and durability (ability to take abuse) are the priority. Road noise and ride i really dont care.

So start shooting the options (if any).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks