Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 19:17   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

I have 195/60/R14 Michelin XM1+ on my Accent Viva. Totally happy with them. Really smooth and comfortable ride. Only downside is lot of stones get stuck in the tyres
Old 15th September 2009, 19:55   #212
BHPian

My two bits - changed from stock 145/70 R13 JK tubed tyres to Michelin XM1+ 155/65 R13 tubless filled with nitrogen on my new WagonR, last month. The OE JK's steering wise was very light, bit hard on ride quality, traction/braking in wet is nothing much to write home about. With the change over to the upsized XM1+ the slightly bigger contact patch made the steering feel a bit more weighted, improved levels of grip and silent + smooth ride quality is confidence inspiring in a tall boy car. Have run 800+ kms on higways and bumper to bumper city traffic, quite satisfied. Conservative looks and size but delivers in the areas required.

Plus the sweetner was got a good deal from Sai Iyengar in lalbagh road, B'lore, on the exchange with fitting + balancing + nitrogen + Free Michelin branded Reebok duffel bag

Cheers,
Sats
Old 15th September 2009, 20:40   #213
BHPian

There is one more convert for XM1+. I was running on stock Bridgestones (145/70R13) on my Wagon R LXi for over 5.5 years and during my recent service about a month back, the service advisor adviced me to change the tyres as the grooves were almost completely gone. He quoted 2300 to 2400 per tyre. Since I was mostly driving within the city, I was not in too much of a hurry to get it done. Recently, while searching for a shop in Bilekahalli, I found Sai Iyengar and Sons in one of the side streets. Having read through this forum about people's experience with Sai, I did not enter immediately. After having completed my work, i was passing back the same way and decided to drop in (as I was on foot). The person there was quite friendly and asked me to go in for 155/65R13 Michelin xm1+ tyres and quote 2650 per tyre incl wheel alignment, balancing and nitrogen. Once again from my ground work this tyre required 4.5J Rims but the one in my car is 4J. I told him this and he said that it is fine to upsize to 155/65. I was a bit skeptical and I told him I will bring my car next weekend. I also told him that reviews on the net said that Sai coolly puts VAT and labour extra during billing and that I will not give a paisa more than 2650 X 5 (once again thanks Team BHP). He said that he will not put all this extra and all this already included in the price.

Once again , I came back and read thru Car & Tyre bible. The Rims for 155/65 required 4.26J and after rounding off it came to 4.5. Also in that site it said that we can go in for upto 20mm extra width on the same rims. So I decided to bite the bullet and took my car on Saturday. After 30 min, I got my car back with the new rubber. My old tyres were taken for 100Rs per tyre (I am not sure whether I got a raw deal but I did not really want to lug them back and search for a better price so I just took it). No VAT or labour was charged and I paid total of 13250 for the 5 tyres.

I have driven about 20KM in the past two days and I can really feel the difference - the ride is smoother and absolutely no tyre noise. I never knew that good tyres make such a difference - it is almost like floating on a magic carpet! Next time I buy a car I will change my tyres to XM1+ right away!

Good show Michelin! These tyres are simply awesome.

Hmm, I did not get the duffel bag, will talk to him tomorrow!

Last edited by hsejars : 15th September 2009 at 20:43. Reason: one more post by the time i submitted this and for which i wanted to add some points in mine
Old 16th September 2009, 02:14   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I have 195/60/R14 Michelin XM1+ on my Accent Viva. Totally happy with them. Really smooth and comfortable ride. Only downside is lot of stones get stuck in the tyres
How much did it cost including fitting/wheel balancing etc ?

I am planning to fit the same on NHC.

Any good shops in central suburbs in Mumbai to get the tyres ?
Old 16th September 2009, 10:17   #215
BHPian

More info on 195/70/14 XM1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thanks Don, am not into very high speed cornering and driving, for that matter the max speed my car has done is somwhere close to 145 kph and that too for few minutes. What matters to me is 100-120 kph cruise mode, handling am ok with compromise, since the Swift D set up is already stiff and has enough buffer for my kind of usage.

Yes sidewall durability to take craters and wet weather braking is something i would be considering for the decision. Road noise again doesnt matter since i play music at low volume to compensate

Right now its between the XM1, Turanza and A Drives for me. Dont have any major long trip's planned for now (maybe apart from a short stint to coorg), my tires still have 5-7 k kms to tread wear indicators, so still holding on to the confused state
I am running my tires on standard rims (5 inches) (Michelin specifies min. size of 5 inches). Incase you have alloys, the handling will improve a bit i am sure. The recommended size for these tires is 6 inches.

Well. I have no idea on the other tires you mentioned but do check their min. rim size required before going for 195's.

Everyone: The difference between 195/70/04 XM1 and 195/70/14 XM1+ is huge !! The XM1+ looks a lot 'meatier' and has visually more tread depth too.. Please don't buy XM1's.

Also, initially I was apprehensive regarding the tire sides touching the side walls(them being marginally bigger than stock). But as i have experienced, and tested it definitely does not !

One thing i noticed was that high speed hard breaking are slightly scary and I think these tires are not meant for such driving. I.e. Hard braking from 140 to 60..

Last edited by ThE_DoN : 16th September 2009 at 10:19.
Old 16th September 2009, 10:39   #216
Team-BHP Support

I have 5.5J rims so tire size will not be a problem. Can you give some details on the breaking part, as in what exactly you meant when you said scary?
Old 16th September 2009, 10:59   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_DoN View Post
Everyone: The difference between 195/70/14 XM1 and 195/70/14 XM1+ is huge !! The XM1+ looks a lot 'meatier' and has visually more tread depth too.. Please don't buy XM1's.
Michelin XM1+ (or even XM for that matter) does not come in that size . Its either 185/70/R14 or 195/60/R14. Just visited the Michelin dealer here yesterday and these sizes were quoted by him.

EDIT: Michelin India's site does have this size though

Last edited by MurtazaGhiya : 16th September 2009 at 11:04.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:04   #218
BHPian

I was referring to an incident where in I think i was in speeds between 120-140kmph. Suddenly a guy ahead of me changed lanes and came straight ahead of me.. I had to break hard to avoid hitting him and ended up at speeds of 60kmph in like 2-4 seconds.

By scary I mean the reduction in speed did not feel perfectly linear - I kind of felt a very slight wobble/vibration during the braking.. I don't know the exact reason for the same - could be the brakes, the alignments/balancing, tire pressure etc..

The important thing to note is the car did not lose its line however it did not "FEEL" 100% planted as well thus reducing 'high speed urgent braking' confidence.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:26   #219
BANNED

My Michelin MXV8 is also very good in terms of handeling, road noise, smoothness and during hard breaking, had experiance of hard breaking that too in car without ABS and even after the wheels were jammed the car was in straight position no tail fishing or loosing the traction only noise of rubber scratching the road surface due to locked rims but no drama at all.Gone for this tyre as that time XM was stopped and XM1+ was yet to get in Bangalore.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:39   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurtazaGhiya View Post
Michelin XM1+ (or even XM for that matter) does not come in that size . Its either 185/70/R14 or 195/60/R14. Just visited the Michelin dealer here yesterday and these sizes were quoted by him.

It is very much available. That dealer may not have had stocks. That's all.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:39   #221
BHPian

Quote:

My car runs on them

http://www.michelin.in/tyre/patterndetail/18/178
Old 16th September 2009, 11:43   #222
Senior - BHPian

top speed dzire

Quote:
Jaggu: my Dzire - 195/70/14

. I have personally done speeds slightly excess of 180 kmph on Mumbai-Pune expressway
Thats a high top speed for a Dzire as this site claims 156 kmph. is yours P or D?
Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire,Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire Car,Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire Features
and this guy did 170 on a Petrol Maruti Suzuki Swift, attempt at top speed 170kmph | Siddharth Abbineni

Last edited by goandude : 16th September 2009 at 11:59.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:45   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
It is very much available. That dealer may not have had stocks. That's all.
Hmmm... Saw it on Michelin's site. Am surprised why the dealer told me that this size is invalid. Quite possible he did not have it in stock :(

Quote:
My car runs on them

- www.michelin.in
How is the performance? Just a thought, what would really differ in 195/70 and 195/60 in terms of performance?
Old 16th September 2009, 12:23   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Thats a high top speed for a Dzire as this site claims 156 kmph. is yours P or D?
Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire,Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire Car,Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire Features
and this guy did 170 on a Petrol Maruti Suzuki Swift, attempt at top speed 170kmph | Siddharth Abbineni
Mine is Dzire Vdi.. The car reaches 160 easily.. To be precise I have reached a speed of ~183kmph on my way back Pune.. I don't know whether it was wind assisted but the car can definitely reach 170s given a good stretch..

Quote:
Hmmm... Saw it on Michelin's site. Am surprised why the dealer told me that this size is invalid. Quite possible he did not have it in stock :(

How is the performance? Just a thought, what would really differ in 195/70 and 195/60 in terms of performance?

A very subjective and tough thing to judge, unless one person tests these 2 tires in the same car. I think the 195/60 would require at least 5.5J though, because of its relatively low profile.

I would attach pics of the tire on my car later tonight.
Old 16th September 2009, 12:29   #225
BHPian

Quote:
I would attach pics of the tire on my car later tonight.
That should be really great of you Want to have a feel of how wide they look on the car. Waiting for the pics.

Am also looking at the same rubber for My Swiftie

Last edited by MurtazaGhiya : 16th September 2009 at 12:33.

Most Viewed